{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Bury fan’s view of Flitcroft

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Bury fan’s view of Flitcroft

Postby part time pete » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Not sure how much truth is in this but picked up this view from a Bury fan posted on another site.

[i]Okay, I must say at this late stage in the season, and with a good squad already in place, it would not surprise me in the slightest if Flitcroft gets you promoted. Especially if it is the same Flitcroft who arrived at Gigg Lane in December 2013, full of passion and enthusiasm.

If it is with that attitude he approaches the job at Field Mill then you will see some good attacking football and probably a few high scoring wins and even automatic promotion with style.

He will however, most likely fail at league one level as it is IMO much tougher up here than league two. And once he loses a game or two, or players make a mistake or two, he starts making ridiculous changes to the teams and much worse, persists with them regardless of results.

He will at times play excellent, attacking football and if you get on a good run then you will look unbeatable at times.

However there are so many negatives. Even with a budget, he doesn't know what to do with it and he will likely end up signing too many players for one position and leave you very light in many other areas.
He can't sign a goalkeeper to save his life. I think in his near three years at Bury he used 14 goalkeepers. Only one, Pope, who already had an excellent reputation was any good.
He will fall out with and force out good players and replace them with expensive dross.
He will remain loyal to players who don't particularly deserve loyalty.
He will play players ridiculously out of position and persist with it regardless of anything.
He will play players when they are unfit.
Your list of injuries will go through the roof, by all account Flitcroft's training methods were to blame for our on going injury problems. Did he at any point change them? Not a chance.
His assistant Futcher is an apparent bully who many players fall out with.
He constantly claims he 'bloods the youth' he doesn't, he might play one kid for five minutes in the checkatrade trophy and then harp on about it like he is Matt Busby afterwards.
Don't expect any big performance at the B2Net this season. His league record against Rochdale for us was a shambles. In March 2016 they beat us 3-0 at Spotland and it could have been 6! Flitcroft spent the game with his hand in his pockets staring into space and apparently rang Keith Hill at half time with the score at 2-0.
More importantly, he lost our biggest game at Gigg Lane in years against Bolton last season with a whimper. He started with a negative formation, we didn't have a single effort on goal, and despite conceding two questionable penalties we were easily beaten. Flitcroft blamed the ref and just seemed to shrug his shoulders as if it wasn't a big deal. This defeat came after a 2-0 defeat at Spotland a week earlier, where, at 1-0 down Flitcroft had taken off Zeli Ismail, our main threat on the right, and put the awful, unfit stiker, Hallam Hope on at right wing. Our attacks petered out and Dale scored again. Flitcroft blamed the ref and shrugged off the defeat as though it was another 90 minutes.

His last few games kind of summed him up. We were already approaching a record breaking number of straight defeats. He still refused to blood any of the exciting young lads, instead opting to keep them on the bench but picking and playing anyone but them. In particular out of position or unfit players.
We played Southend at home, and despite having several full backs on the bench he went with Neil Danns at right back and Kelvin Etuhu at centre back. Both are midfielders and neither were fully fit. We lost 4-1.
He then started the exact same team against Wimbledon on the Tuesday in a cup replay, we lost 5-0 and we were 4-0 down at half time. He was sacked the next day.

Lastly, he doesn't ever learn from his mistakes and as you can see, it is never his fault.[\i]
Can we play Accrington Stanley every week.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Re: Bury fan’s view of Flitcroft

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:40 pm

Sounds butt hurt.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Wilfred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:44 pm

But apart from all that ......
Being a Stags fan never has a happy ending. Because being a Stags fan never ends.
Wilfred
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Stags 2002 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:02 pm

We give him a fair crack at the job and support him.

2 local derbys in his 3 first games.

:coys:
Stags 2002
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:33 pm

As I said in another thread, it's gone well for Bury since he left hasn't it :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:49 pm

We might as well ditch him now before it gets out of hand because nobody in history has ever evolved or learned from their mistakes.

We've been so stoopid.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Conker » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:11 pm

We have got to give him 100% support and hope it turns out to be a successful appointment.

That being said some lot on here reaction to stuff like this from Swindon and Bury fans is comical, even adults get Mardy when they hear something they don’t want to :lol:
Conker
Manager
Manager

Postby Grendon Stag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:34 pm

Couldn't care less wether he can cut it at League 1 all that bothers me for the next 12 games is can he get the best out of a very good squad of players at his disposal. We can worry about League 1 if and when we get there.
Grendon Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:40 pm

Agreed - good post
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:50 pm

From that very informative post u would think we have a nightmare in prospect
All we can do is support him and see how he goes
I was underwhelmed slightly and maybe appointment was a bit quick and I think Dumpster could have minded the shop ok for a while at least
How long is contract for anybody ??
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:54 pm

If JR thinks he’s the man for us, that’s good enough for me at this stage
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:01 pm

The Swindon press summary of his tenure is mixed with press and fans equally split.

Its very rare to have universal approval of any Manager - at the end of the day Swindon appointed him and so have we so the Chairmen must see something which appeals.

The difficulty with situations such as this IS he will understandablY have his own views but there is really nothing to fix. He cant win really - if we go up it will be Evans promotion and if we don't he will have messed up

Anyway David good luck. ....COYS
yorkstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:04 pm

tillydog123 wrote:From that very informative post u would think we have a nightmare in prospect
I was underwhelmed slightly and maybe appointment was a bit quick and I think Dumpster could have minded the shop ok for a while at least

Right
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:24 pm

No it will be his promotion. Still 1/4 of a season to go. The most important 1/4 too.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:37 pm

How can the Swindon fans think he is rubbish? Of the four relegated teams from last year, they are in the highest position with a manager who has only been in post since July. They have steadily improved over the season so far and were true contenders for promotion.

If they aren't happy with that, they don't know lower league football.
Who are you calling pedantic? I resemble that remark!
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:37 pm

tillydog123 wrote:From that very informative post u would think we have a nightmare in prospect

I don't think it's informative. Sounds like rubbish to me.

I'm more inclined to take notice of this (which I presume is what yorkstag is referring to), which seems to be fairly well-balanced and intelligently thought-out
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spor ... e_written/

On the subject of Dempster, the reality is Dempster has worked with the youth team and they are based at Brooksby. I don't think he has worked with the first team very much. That said, I think he is highly competent.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:40 pm

What a silly tilly you are!
I was Kaiser Bill’s Batman
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amberheart » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:41 pm

I'm sure he has learned & improved since Bury
We dream the same dream we want the same thing
Amberheart
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:03 pm

Amberheart wrote:I'm sure he has learned & improved since Bury

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Bury fan, his record there at what is a traditional lower league club who have done more than their fair share of bucket rattling is a good one. Swindon fans will be miffed he has left when he did for a smaller club. Our reaction to Evans leaving was similar, though of course most of us detested him anyway which definitely softened the blow of his departure!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag_27 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:04 pm

Would any of our former managers get an unequivocally positive review from our fans? It is the nature of football I think.

Positive for me is that he knows our league and has had success elsewhere previously. Beyond that, let's judge judge him as we find him, and offer him our support. We are at the critical point of the season, no point in doing anything else!
stag_27
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby sw19stag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Rob wrote:

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the Bury fan, his record there at what is a traditional lower league club who have done more than their fair share of bucket rattling is a good one. Swindon fans will be miffed he has left when he did for a smaller club. Our reaction to Evans leaving was similar, though of course most of us detested him anyway which definitely softened the blow of his departure!

Thing is, most Swindon fans seem fairly pleased he's gone, not miffed!
sw19stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Let's not forget that Flipflop took over at Swindon very late in to the summer and had to recruit a lot of players after most clubs had done much of their own.

He's taken that club to seventh, only two points behind us - and we feel as though we're having a good season. This could be classic case of Swindon being at their lowest ebb for several seasons and feeling a sense of entitlement and expecting to 'p*ss this tinpot division.'
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby EdwinstoweStag » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Swindon were never the same when Willie Carson played in goal
I was Kaiser Bill’s Batman
EdwinstoweStag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:32 pm

sw19stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

Thing is, most Swindon fans seem fairly pleased he's gone, not miffed!

Yes, now he's gone, it's usually that way. They will be miffed, like we are even though Evans was disliked. Be interesting to see who they bring in, as Doomy says they have a similar attitude to Luton, they are just too big for lower league football.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Mr Grimsdale » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:36 pm

Many of the comments from the original poster are disturbing. I think that the 3 local derbies will forge opinions of him one way or another, if we lack passion and nous in these games I'm afraid it will be tough for him, and I know that promotion is the aim regardless of these fixtures.
In the OP's comments , the one that struck me as strange if true was the 14 goalkeepers, that is scary.
I must admit I was pleased at the appointment initially, even though it seemed a little swiftly done. Having spent the last couple of days gauging opinions, and filtering out the ones that appeared to have an axe to grind, I am a little less optimistic then I was.
However he has to be backed by us and I'm sure he will be, hopefully he will be everything he is trumpeted to be.
Mr Grimsdale
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Next

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum