{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:31 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:mine was Dave Caldwell, terrace hero

would love a beer with him & ask him if all the stories were true

Mine too, but a slightly different character to Keith :lol:
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:33 pm

Rob wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:I suppose Sir Calvin day and Sir Mal day come close, but I think Sir Liam day beats them because the winner was so late.

I prefer Sir Mal day just for the lasting harm it did them. :D

It's a pity there isn't any video of Sir Keith Cassells Day from 1989. Where Sir Keith scored, then went in nets fora laugh & we still won 3-1. :lol:

The Sir Keith Cassells game was my first Stags v Spireites derby, I was 8 years old. I can remember big George squaring up to the even bigger Andy Morris, I think there’s a photo of that somewhere.

Keith Cassells was my first Stags hero and I was gutted that he retired at the end of the season. One day during the summer holidays a knock came on our front door and it was Keith Cassells. My dad had wrote to him to ask if he’d let me have something autographed, so he delivered an autographed photo himself and had a kick about with me on our back garden. To this day I have still not been as awe struck as I was then.

If ever the expression "graced our shirt" applied to anyone it was Keith, fine player, fine human being..

Hero!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:08 pm

Rob wrote:

don’t think he’d have past the Police vetting mate
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:42 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
Rob wrote:

don’t think he’d have past the Police vetting mate

Dunno about that mate, not sure their vetting is up to much! I wonder if the 5 pints in the Portland thinking he'd been dropped then playing and scoring story is true?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Johnny H » Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:26 pm

The Sir Keith Cassells game was my first Stags v Spireites derby, I was 8 years old. I can remember big George squaring up to the even bigger Andy Morris, I think there’s a photo of that somewhere.

I also remember this game, the challenge that Morris made on Andy Beasley meaning he has to be taken off and George Foster going nose to chest on Andy Morris, wagging his finger at him and shouting him down........Not seen the picture of it for years....Anyone got it ??

Also seem to remember a picture of GF kicking Dave Caldwell up the arse during a match too
Johnny H
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:10 pm

Showaddywaddy wrote:
Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:I suppose Sir Calvin day and Sir Mal day come close, but I think Sir Liam day beats them because the winner was so late.

It's a pity there isn't any video of Sir Keith Cassells Day from 1989. Where Sir Keith scored, then went in nets fora laugh & we still won 3-1. :lol:

Keith Cassells was my first Stags hero and I was gutted that he retired at the end of the season. One day during the summer holidays a knock came on our front door and it was Keith Cassells. My dad had wrote to him to ask if he’d let me have something autographed, so he delivered an autographed photo himself and had a kick about with me on our back garden. To this day I have still not been as awe struck as I was then.

I think this game more or less confirmed their relegation to division 4

Chants of '4th division rubbish' throughout the game
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:30 pm

Johnny H wrote:

I also remember this game, the challenge that Morris made on Andy Beasley meaning he has to be taken off and George Foster going nose to chest on Andy Morris, wagging his finger at him and shouting him down........Not seen the picture of it for years....Anyone got it ??

Also seem to remember a picture of GF kicking Dave Caldwell up the arse during a match too

here's the report
https://stagsnet.net/vintage/reports/chesterfield89.htm

I don't have the photos you refer to on the report page.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Steve North wrote:It was truly the finest of days and one of the best footballing memories I will have. It astounds me that 20 years have gone by so quickly and yet I can still transport myself back and have that feeling of nervousness, excitement and anticipation, even now 20 years later.

There are games which we can acknowledge as local derbies, like Notts County or Lincoln or Doncaster maybe, and for all the excitement those games generate, they cannot get close to the feeling of Mansfield v Chesterfield. It is special. It can make you feel ill it is so intense.

Me and my wife were staying at the Lace Market hotel that weekend. It was my birthday on the 17th and my wife’s on the 18th Jan. Furthermore, my wife had just discovered she was pregnant with our first and only child and we were having a weekend in Nottingham to celebrate our birthdays. I want to say that it was an early kick off so we had an early start and drive back up the A60 to Mansfield to pick my mum up and then having driven over to Chesterfield we got into the ground early. I remember exchanging messages with my brother in law, a Chesterfield fan, who confidently told me that we were going to get battered. I felt incredibly nervous, but at the same time I also had a feeling we might just do it. We might just win this game.

I remember Chesterfield starting ok, but Matt Gadsby and Rhys Day looked comfortable and we were coping ok. And then disaster. A seemingly harmless cross comes in and the ball hits Matt Gadsby’s arm. Harsh. Penalty. 1-0 Chesterfield. Here we go again. I had been there at our Sep 2000 capitulation. But this was different. We looked determined and we weren’t rattled. I think it was just before half time. A series of backwards headers, a cross and Disley takes one touch with the outside of his boot and aims his shot and it’s in the back of the net and he celebrates in front of the Kop. In front of those silent Chesterfield fans. And they stare on in disbelief, and Wayne Cordon comes over to join in with the celebrations and they are winding up the Kop.

And in the away stand, we are up on our feet and we are falling over and there are arms and limbs everywhere and my mum is a 73 year old and she is going mental and having the time of her life and my wife is up on her feet and I feel like we can do this. We have a game on our hands now.

There are just 3 things I recall from the 2nd half. For the first 10 minutes or so Chesterfield come at us a bit more but without really creating anything of note, but my anxiety levels are shooting up. Will they score and if so can we come back again. Secondly, Shane Bradley comes on for Chesterfield to an enormous chorus of boos and abuse. And the pivotal moment of the game - the referee stops the match to speak with the assistant and then shows Bradley a straight Red card. Bradley has to endure the humiliation and abuse as he walks off the pitch having only been on for a matter of minutes.

I remember thinking at this point that this game is now within our grasp, it is there for the taking. We just need to hold our nerve and chances will come. And they did, but still the goal did not come. And then deep into injury time we get a free kick. This is the final chance of the game. It all happens in slow motion of course. These moments always do don’t they. The ball comes back across the goal and Lawrence gets his head to it and somehow it finds its way through the arms and legs and outstretched hands and it’s in the net and we are celebrating and it feels amazing and we look across at their supporters and they already know the game is up. They can’t comeback from that. And the referee blows the final whistle. It’s all over. And we win and the celebrations are legendary and the best. And my dear old mum cannot stop talking all the way back to Mansfield and I have to smile because football is like that. Only football can make you feel this joyous. This unrestrained. Only the drama and jeopardy of football gets you like this.

And over the past 20 years I have lost count of how many dull and tedious meetings I’ve been sat in where i stare into space and just allow my mind to wander back to that amazing January day and the joy of that last minute goal. Knowing that the Stags have beaten our most fierce rivals and I’m going to be a dad. Life is amazing, isn’t it.

I also think about Matt Gadsby, God rest his soul, who tragically collapsed and died playing the game he loved at 27 years old.

And my son is now 19 years old and up at the University of Manchester and playing football at Uni, and God, it makes me feel old.

20 years passes by quickly these days does it not my friends.

Enjoyable read that, how these 'big' and significant games can punctuate life and create lasting memories. I totally understand every word. Perhaps that's because I'm a football fan, a Mansfield fan, and I know how these games make you feel. other games have had that impact on me. I was at this match as a 16 year old. It was unbelievable in the last minute.

Football isn't life, but it's close. It decorates our existence wonderfully.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve North » Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:50 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:Enjoyable read that, how these 'big' and significant games can punctuate life and create lasting memories. I totally understand every word. Perhaps that's because I'm a football fan, a Mansfield fan, and I know how these games make you feel. other games have had that impact on me. I was at this match as a 16 year old. It was unbelievable in the last minute.

Thank you for your kind words. I don’t post on here very often these days, but I wanted to share my thoughts on this great match.

Sometimes football acts as the glue which brings us together and actually as you say decorates our existence. And the people who you sit with become your extended family. My mum passed away in 2015 sadly, but I have some really lovely memories of attending matches with her. Me and my wife often talk about those days and my mum. Her favourite was Keith Curle. She absolutely adored him.
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby ST4GS » Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:47 pm

Sneag wrote:

Loved this game as we effectively relegated Chesterfield that day. 1988-89 was not a remarkable season but this game and the Wolves home game a few weeks earlier hold special memories. Cassellls was influential in both matches. I remember walking through Debenhams around 1987 as a teenager and Keith Cassells was standing nearby. My knees buckled. I looked over and he smiled and we had a brief chat. What an amazing footballer and humble human being by all accounts.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
ST4GS
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:13 pm

Poor crowd attendance!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:36 am

cassellswasmagic wrote:Poor crowd attendance!!!

Attendances everywhere in the 80s were abysmal.

Hooliganism & crumbling grounds help deter people from going despite it being relatively cheap.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:40 am

Sneag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:Poor crowd attendance!!!

Attendances everywhere in the 80s were abysmal.

Hooliganism & crumbling grounds help deter people from going despite it being relatively cheap.

True. Just seems really low.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:03 am

Mentioning Caldwell in the same breath as Cassells is pretty shameful.
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:36 am

bellwhiff wrote:Mentioning Caldwell in the same breath as Cassells is pretty shameful.

No it isn’t !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:50 am

yorkshire stag wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:Mentioning Caldwell in the same breath as Cassells is pretty shameful.

No it isn’t !

Oh it absolutely is. One was a credit to the sport and the club. The other was a drunken waster who played for our biggest rivals. It’s not even close.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:58 am

When we won the Freight Rover trophy on that unforgettable day at Wembley Keith Cassells ran to the side of the pitch and I gave him my cap..he wore it up the steps to get the cup and never took it off during all the celebrations..when the team did the parade back in Mansfield Keith had my Cap on again and many photos of him wearing it made it so special for me...hence my stagsnet name...he was my hero
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:34 am

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

No it isn’t !

Oh it absolutely is. One was a credit to the sport and the club. The other was a drunken waster who played for our biggest rivals. It’s not even close.

A dripping waster who is tenth in our all time goal-scoring list, some feat when you consider the side he played in. Granted Dave was completely different to Cassells in so many ways, but as a footballer he was probably equally talented - if he had Keith Cassells maturity and self-discipline he probably would have played, like Keith, at a very high level. He didn't because he preferred the booze, but if you deny he had talent you maybe never saw him play Paul, perhaps you were in Germany in the early 80's?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:01 pm

CassellsCap wrote:When we won the Freight Rover trophy on that unforgettable day at Wembley Keith Cassells ran to the side of the pitch and I gave him my cap..he wore it up the steps to get the cup and never took it off during all the celebrations..when the team did the parade back in Mansfield Keith had my Cap on again and many photos of him wearing it made it so special for me...hence my stagsnet name...he was my hero

Bloody nice story that…he will never be replaced as my favourite Stags player. I was 9 when I first saw him play and he just seemed electric up front. The goal v Chester on that pitch lives long in the memory as does the header v Wolves. He epitomised the team ethic at Wembley…ran himself into the ground and gave everything to the point he could hardly run to take the penalty. Love the guy.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Pitkin » Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:10 pm

Steve North wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:Enjoyable read that, how these 'big' and significant games can punctuate life and create lasting memories. I totally understand every word. Perhaps that's because I'm a football fan, a Mansfield fan, and I know how these games make you feel. other games have had that impact on me. I was at this match as a 16 year old. It was unbelievable in the last minute.

Thank you for your kind words. I don’t post on here very often these days, but I wanted to share my thoughts on this great match.

Sometimes football acts as the glue which brings us together and actually as you say decorates our existence. And the people who you sit with become your extended family. My mum passed away in 2015 sadly, but I have some really lovely memories of attending matches with her. Me and my wife often talk about those days and my mum. Her favourite was Keith Curle. She absolutely adored him.

Beautiful stuff Steve, I felt everything you wrote particularly about the haze of lots of the second half, I think you kind of get so wrapped up in a bundle of nervousness about losing, and of course its the same for them, that it drifts by until those pivotal moments.
I remember them shouting "One Shayne Bradley!" and we made his walk to the tunnel, I started "Theres only one Shayne Bradley!" Which was taken up by the throng of us, mocking the bloke.
Its what keeps football alive, the tribalism, no other sport does it like that.

I could wax on about the despair of the 5-2 play off defeat, and some incredibly strange refereeing decisions that night, but I won't, best to stick with our good memories. A late Cassells goal at Saltergate, when put through to win 1-0, a 0-0 draw when we played in all red, and Billy Ayre, bless him, ran over to us at the end, fists pumping, hardly any teeth....magical!
A twice taken Terry Eccles penalty at Saltergate on Boxing Day, after we'd recently lost to Matlock in the Cup, and they were chanting Matlock Matlock!

They can't take it off us..
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:16 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

No it isn’t !

oh absolutely isn’t, we were discussing terrace hero’s, first up was KC mine was DC, struggling to understand why you don’t see it !
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:33 pm

Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

No it isn’t !

A dripping waster who is tenth in our all time goal-scoring list, some feat when you consider the side he played in. Granted Dave was completely different to Cassells in so many ways, but as a footballer he was probably equally talented - if he had Keith Cassells maturity and self-discipline he probably would have played, like Keith, at a very high level. He didn't because he preferred the booze, but if you deny he had talent you maybe never saw him play Paul, perhaps you were in Germany in the early 80's?

Oh but I did. As a young singly, I came home about once a month and paid for it with duty free fags and booze. In addition to that, I was posted just outside Antwerp from 1988 to 89 and went to watch him play a couple of times for Overpelt, about 30 miles away from my pad in Herentals. Wore my Stags shirt. He saw once and came over to say hello. He was a good player who pissed away his skill. Like I said, not fit to clean KC’s boots. Not like you to be utterly wrong.

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:40 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

No it isn’t !

Oh but I did. As a young singly, I came home about once a month and paid for it with duty free fags and booze. In addition to that, I was posted just outside Antwerp from 1988 to 89 and went to watch him play a couple of times for Overpelt, about 30 miles away from my pad in Herentals. Wore my Stags shirt. He saw once and came over to say hello. He was a good player who pissed away his skill. Like I said, not fit to clean KC’s boots. Not like you to be utterly wrong.

But I wasn't wrong, you were in Germany so saw much less of him than Yorkie and I. Behaviour wise you are right and he did not make the most of his talent, but as a footballer you are, as usual, wrong.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby bellwhiff » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:19 pm

Rob wrote:But I wasn't wrong, you were in Germany so saw much less of him than Yorkie and I. Behaviour wise you are right and he did not make the most of his talent, but as a footballer you are, as usual, wrong.

Meow. You just can’t help it. I see the premise of the superfan is still alive and kicking on here. I prostate myself at your immense fandom. You’re so much more of a fan. I am in awe. Can I have your autograph?

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:54 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
Rob wrote:But I wasn't wrong, you were in Germany so saw much less of him than Yorkie and I. Behaviour wise you are right and he did not make the most of his talent, but as a footballer you are, as usual, wrong.

Meow. You just can’t help it. I see the premise of the superfan is still alive and kicking on here. I prostate myself at your immense fandom. You’re so much more of a fan. I am in awe. Can I have your autograph?

ding ding :lol:
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum