{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jan 18, 2023 7:38 am

:lol: lets hear them whinge on there 10.000 reply on fred :lol:

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Fitzy499 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:37 am

Martin Shaw wrote:the defending for the second goal :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64252866

Defending for 3 goals was questionable and we moan about our defending this season
Fitzy499
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Gruff » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:56 am

Jeepers... I know WBA are championship, but their defending for all the goals was horrific. I can't see any way that they will overtake Wrexham or Notts unless they change something, so would expect them to be playoffs at best, having to overcome one of the Top 2.
Gruff
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:20 am

Hahaha.. that was so non league it's hilarious. I'm really not convinced that the National League needs another promotion place given they're 3rd.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:24 am

Defending?
I thought it was a decent assist with the cheeky back-heel. :lol: :lol: :lol:
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Laney_MTFC » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:08 am

zod wrote:

Defending?
I thought it was a decent assist with the cheeky back-heel. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Agreed, it was a cracking little assist
Laney_MTFC
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Tre Cool » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:42 pm

Can't believe noone's posted this on the 20th anniversary of Sir Liam Lawrence day. :)
11am kick off if I remember rightly. I remember my 15 year old self running down saltergate waving my scarf around and getting some abuse!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/mansfieldtownfc/status/1615755912693616640?s=20&t=3XYfiNnHsb27gcFpe4MFPg[/tweet]

Not sure how to embed though I am pasting the link between the [tweet] tags
Tre Cool
First Team
First Team

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:45 pm

Tre Cool wrote:Can't believe noone's posted this on the 20th anniversary of Sir Liam Lawrence day. :)
11am kick off if I remember rightly. I remember my 15 year old self running down saltergate waving my scarf around and getting some abuse!

[tweet]http://twitter.com/mansfieldtownfc/status/1615755912693616640?s=20&t=3XYfiNnHsb27gcFpe4MFPg[/tweet]

Not sure how to embed though I am pasting the link between the [tweet] tags

STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby HU7stag » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:05 pm

HU7stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:53 pm

that feeling behind the goal when the ball went in……wow will live with me forever
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:34 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:that feeling behind the goal when the ball went in……wow will live with me forever

We were in the seats on the side, it was a fantastic moment.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:47 pm

I suppose Sir Calvin day and Sir Mal day come close, but I think Sir Liam day beats them because the winner was so late.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:38 pm

part time pete wrote:I suppose Sir Calvin day and Sir Mal day come close, but I think Sir Liam day beats them because the winner was so late.

I prefer Sir Mal day just for the lasting harm it did them. :D

It's a pity there isn't any video of Sir Keith Cassells Day from 1989. Where Sir Keith scored, then went in nets fora laugh & we still won 3-1. :lol:
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:58 am

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Oladamber66 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:19 am

What a game it had everything fantastic atmosphere.. always ferocious rivalry the turning point was the Shane Bradley sending off for spitting at Rhys day what a dick !!! Disley’s equaliser but Sir Liam of Lawrence heading the winner sent the stags fan wild in the dying minutes ..pure stags joy
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bellwhiff » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:29 am

Oladamber66 wrote:What a game it had everything fantastic atmosphere.. always ferocious rivalry the turning point was the Shane Bradley sending off for spitting at Rhys day what a dick !!! Disley’s equaliser but Sir Liam of Lawrence heading the winner sent the stags fan wild in the dying minutes ..pure stags joy

Well played to Rhys for his unique way of provoking the fat money grabbing gobster
Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier...

Samuel Johnson
bellwhiff
Manager
Manager

Postby Steve North » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:12 am

It was truly the finest of days and one of the best footballing memories I will have. It astounds me that 20 years have gone by so quickly and yet I can still transport myself back and have that feeling of nervousness, excitement and anticipation, even now 20 years later.

There are games which we can acknowledge as local derbies, like Notts County or Lincoln or Doncaster maybe, and for all the excitement those games generate, they cannot get close to the feeling of Mansfield v Chesterfield. It is special. It can make you feel ill it is so intense.

Me and my wife were staying at the Lace Market hotel that weekend. It was my birthday on the 17th and my wife’s on the 18th Jan. Furthermore, my wife had just discovered she was pregnant with our first and only child and we were having a weekend in Nottingham to celebrate our birthdays. I want to say that it was an early kick off so we had an early start and drive back up the A60 to Mansfield to pick my mum up and then having driven over to Chesterfield we got into the ground early. I remember exchanging messages with my brother in law, a Chesterfield fan, who confidently told me that we were going to get battered. I felt incredibly nervous, but at the same time I also had a feeling we might just do it. We might just win this game.

I remember Chesterfield starting ok, but Matt Gadsby and Rhys Day looked comfortable and we were coping ok. And then disaster. A seemingly harmless cross comes in and the ball hits Matt Gadsby’s arm. Harsh. Penalty. 1-0 Chesterfield. Here we go again. I had been there at our Sep 2000 capitulation. But this was different. We looked determined and we weren’t rattled. I think it was just before half time. A series of backwards headers, a cross and Disley takes one touch with the outside of his boot and aims his shot and it’s in the back of the net and he celebrates in front of the Kop. In front of those silent Chesterfield fans. And they stare on in disbelief, and Wayne Cordon comes over to join in with the celebrations and they are winding up the Kop.

And in the away stand, we are up on our feet and we are falling over and there are arms and limbs everywhere and my mum is a 73 year old and she is going mental and having the time of her life and my wife is up on her feet and I feel like we can do this. We have a game on our hands now.

There are just 3 things I recall from the 2nd half. For the first 10 minutes or so Chesterfield come at us a bit more but without really creating anything of note, but my anxiety levels are shooting up. Will they score and if so can we come back again. Secondly, Shane Bradley comes on for Chesterfield to an enormous chorus of boos and abuse. And the pivotal moment of the game - the referee stops the match to speak with the assistant and then shows Bradley a straight Red card. Bradley has to endure the humiliation and abuse as he walks off the pitch having only been on for a matter of minutes.

I remember thinking at this point that this game is now within our grasp, it is there for the taking. We just need to hold our nerve and chances will come. And they did, but still the goal did not come. And then deep into injury time we get a free kick. This is the final chance of the game. It all happens in slow motion of course. These moments always do don’t they. The ball comes back across the goal and Lawrence gets his head to it and somehow it finds its way through the arms and legs and outstretched hands and it’s in the net and we are celebrating and it feels amazing and we look across at their supporters and they already know the game is up. They can’t comeback from that. And the referee blows the final whistle. It’s all over. And we win and the celebrations are legendary and the best. And my dear old mum cannot stop talking all the way back to Mansfield and I have to smile because football is like that. Only football can make you feel this joyous. This unrestrained. Only the drama and jeopardy of football gets you like this.

And over the past 20 years I have lost count of how many dull and tedious meetings I’ve been sat in where i stare into space and just allow my mind to wander back to that amazing January day and the joy of that last minute goal. Knowing that the Stags have beaten our most fierce rivals and I’m going to be a dad. Life is amazing, isn’t it.

I also think about Matt Gadsby, God rest his soul, who tragically collapsed and died playing the game he loved at 27 years old.

And my son is now 19 years old and up at the University of Manchester and playing football at Uni, and God, it makes me feel old.

20 years passes by quickly these days does it not my friends.
Last edited by Steve North on Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Steve North
First Team
First Team

Postby NEStag » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:17 am

I enjoyed that Steve, thanks. You write very well.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:43 am

Sneag wrote:
part time pete wrote:I suppose Sir Calvin day and Sir Mal day come close, but I think Sir Liam day beats them because the winner was so late.

It's a pity there isn't any video of Sir Keith Cassells Day from 1989. Where Sir Keith scored, then went in nets fora laugh & we still won 3-1. :lol:

The Sir Keith Cassells game was my first Stags v Spireites derby, I was 8 years old. I can remember big George squaring up to the even bigger Andy Morris, I think there’s a photo of that somewhere.

Keith Cassells was my first Stags hero and I was gutted that he retired at the end of the season. One day during the summer holidays a knock came on our front door and it was Keith Cassells. My dad had wrote to him to ask if he’d let me have something autographed, so he delivered an autographed photo himself and had a kick about with me on our back garden. To this day I have still not been as awe struck as I was then.
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby london amber stag » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:51 am

Steve North wrote:It was truly the finest of days and one of the best footballing memories I will have. It astounds me that 20 years have gone by so quickly and yet I can still transport myself back and have that feeling of nervousness, excitement and anticipation, even now 20 years later.

There are games which we can acknowledge as local derbies, like Notts County or Lincoln or Doncaster maybe, and for all the excitement those games generate, they cannot get close to the feeling of Mansfield v Chesterfield. It is special. It can make you feel ill it is so intense.

Me and my wife were staying at the Lace Market hotel that weekend. It was my birthday on the 17th and my wife’s on the 18th Jan. Furthermore, my wife had just discovered she was pregnant with our first and only child and we were having a weekend in Nottingham to celebrate our birthdays. I want to say that it was an early kick off so we had an early start and drive back up the A60 to Mansfield to pick my mum up and then having driven over to Chesterfield we got into the ground early. I remember exchanging messages with my brother in law, a Chesterfield fan, who confidently told me that we were going to get battered. I felt incredibly nervous, but at the same time I also had a feeling we might just do it. We might just win this game.

I remember Chesterfield starting ok, but Matt Gadsby and Rhys Day looked comfortable and we were coping ok. And then disaster. A seemingly harmless cross comes in and the ball hits Matt Gadsby’s arm. Harsh. Penalty. 1-0 Chesterfield. Here we go again. I had been there at our Sep 2000 capitulation. But this was different. We looked determined and we weren’t rattled. I think it was just before half time. A series of backwards headers, a cross and Disney takes one touch with the outside of his boot and aims his shot and it’s in the back of the net and he celebrates in front of the Kop. In front of those silent Chesterfield fans. And they stare on in disbelief, and Wayne Cordon comes over to join in with the celebrations and they are winding up the Kop.

And in the away stand, we are up on our feet and we are falling over and there are arms and limbs everywhere and my mum is a 73 year old and she is going mental and having the time of her life and my wife is up on her feet and I feel like we can do this. We have a game on our hands now.

There are just 3 things I recall from the 2nd half. For the first 10 minutes or so Chesterfield come at us a bit more but without really creating anything of note, but my anxiety levels are shooting up. Will they score and if so can we come back again. Secondly, Shane Bradley comes on for Chesterfield to an enormous chorus of boos and abuse. And the pivotal moment of the game - the referee stops the match to speak with the assistant and then shows Bradley a straight Red card. Bradley has to endure the humiliation and abuse as he walks off the pitch having only been on for a matter of minutes.

I remember thinking at this point that this game is now within our grasp, it is there for the taking. We just need to hold our nerve and chances will come. And they did, but still the goal did not come. And then deep into injury time we get a free kick. This is the final chance of the game. It all happens in slow motion of course. These moments always do don’t they. The ball comes back across the goal and Lawrence gets his head to it and somehow it finds its way through the arms and legs and outstretched hands and it’s in the net and we are celebrating and it feels amazing and we look across at their supporters and they already know the game is up. They can’t comeback from that. And the referee blows the final whistle. It’s all over. And we win and the celebrations are legendary and the best. And my dear old mum cannot stop talking all the way back to Mansfield and I have to smile because football is like that. Only football can make you feel this joyous. This unrestrained. Only the drama and jeopardy of football gets you like this.

And over the past 20 years I have lost count of how many dull and tedious meetings I’ve been sat in where i stare into space and just allow my mind to wander back to that amazing January day and the joy of that last minute goal. Knowing that the Stags haven’t beaten our most fierce rivals and I’m going to be a dad. Life is amazing, isn’t it.

I also think about Matt Gadsby, God rest his soul, who tragically collapsed and died playing the game he loved at 27 years old.

And my son is now 19 years old and up the University of Manchester and playing football at Uni, and God, it makes me feel old. 20 years passes by quickly these days does it not my friends.

What a brilliant account Steve, you really capture the absolute beauty of a last minute winner against the old enemy! Football is a wonderful game and evokes so much emotion and so many precious memories.
Mansfield Town, my club even though been exiled in London since 1983.
london amber stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:59 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:
Sneag wrote:

The Sir Keith Cassells game was my first Stags v Spireites derby, I was 8 years old. I can remember big George squaring up to the even bigger Andy Morris, I think there’s a photo of that somewhere.

Keith Cassells was my first Stags hero and I was gutted that he retired at the end of the season. One day during the summer holidays a knock came on our front door and it was Keith Cassells. My dad had wrote to him to ask if he’d let me have something autographed, so he delivered an autographed photo himself and had a kick about with me on our back garden. To this day I have still not been as awe struck as I was then.

If ever the expression "graced our shirt" applied to anyone it was Keith, fine player, fine human being..
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Billy the fish » Thu Jan 19, 2023 12:53 pm

NEStag wrote:I enjoyed that Steve, thanks. You write very well.

Brilliant Steve North ..
Billy the fish
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:52 pm

Billy the fish wrote:
NEStag wrote:I enjoyed that Steve, thanks. You write very well.

Brilliant Steve North ..

Agreed, super read.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:59 pm

Rob wrote:
Showaddywaddy wrote:
Sneag wrote:

If ever the expression "graced our shirt" applied to anyone it was Keith, fine player, fine human being..

Seconded, met him at the ground when I was younger and managed to get a photo with him. Lovely bloke.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:06 pm

mine was Dave Caldwell, terrace hero

would love a beer with him & ask him if all the stories were true
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext