{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Postby Oladamber66 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:09 am

Lets be honest no matter how much bitching goes on they won the pit of misery league by a mile ..but no suprise going on what opposition they had totally delusional ....but enjoy your time of glory ..not wishing them any luck but remember this
You'll need a lot more luck next season and money to compete .....as we will in league 1
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:12 am

Mansf1eld wrote:Forever in our shadow.

Forever and always.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:40 pm

They’re a shorter price (2/1) to be promoted next season than we were at the start of this one :D
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:13 pm

Marky Mark wrote:They’re a shorter price (2/1) to be promoted next season than we were at the start of this one :D

How can you give odds when you don't know the full make up of next year's League 2? You don't know who's coming down, which of the top 7 or 8 wont go up, and especially if Colchester dont go down I wouldn't put it past the Cowleys to have them right up there?
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Chrisuknottm » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:15 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Marky Mark wrote:They’re a shorter price (2/1) to be promoted next season than we were at the start of this one :D

How can you give odds when you don't know the full make up of next year's League 2? You don't know who's coming down, which of the top 7 or 8 wont go up, and especially if Colchester dont go down I wouldn't put it past the Cowleys to have them right up there?

Sorry Mark, just to be clear not "you" but the bookmakers
Chrisuknottm
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:33 pm

Chrisuknottm wrote:
Chrisuknottm wrote:

Sorry Mark, just to be clear not "you" but the bookmakers

Simple and short answer...

Bookmakers make money (as the saying goes, you never see a poor one)

Ample opportunity to get drunken Spireite fools' money into their pockets after they get over enthusiastic celebrating winning a terrible league....and chuck money on them going up again.... of which there will be many as they are totally delusional.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:20 pm

Sadly this thread will after 435 pages come to an end. We have had a good laugh out of it over the six years they've festered down there but all good things come to an end.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:30 pm

…and the rivalry will recommence at some point…and we will be loving it. Glad they had a taste of non league football but you can’t beat a good nasty derby game.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby wxm80s » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:35 pm

The National League this season was as easy as its ever been. Look at the teams they were up against? Boreham Wood have fallen away and that leaves Barnet, Bromley and Solihull. :lol:
wxm80s
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby The One » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:35 pm

Been charged re finance
Claimed silver polish for 6 years
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:08 pm

They’ve won the league by a canter so fair play. It’s not nice down there as we all well know. If they ever get to our level I’ll enjoy the matches, they’re always a bit spicy. Let’s make it a few more years before that happens though. Promotion this season is a must.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Oladamber66 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 pm

Latest on the deluded raspberry sheep dippers board .... we are punching above our weight, run down town ( agree with that )
Run down ground( Debatable ) and our owners are run down !!....it looks like with them winning the pit of misery league its clearly gone to their heads ..
Oladamber66
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stag861 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 am

A few months ago the Grimsby owner wrote an article saying he felt that there should be three up and three down between L1 & l2 and L2 & Conference. His argument was that there were three top teams the previous year but only two could go up. Now that the Spirites have gone up it seems to me that the Conference is going to be a poor league next season.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby wxm80s » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

stag861 wrote:A few months ago the Grimsby owner wrote an article saying he felt that there should be three up and three down between L1 & l2 and L2 & Conference. His argument was that there were three top teams the previous year but only two could go up. Now that the Spirites have gone up it seems to me that the Conference is going to be a poor league next season.

It was a very poor league this season, the worst its been in years, hence why Chesterfield walked it.

Still think they're in for a shock next season. They'll need to strengthen significantly to challenge all over the pitch, especially in defence and up front.
wxm80s
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Stoney » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:23 pm

Chesterfield fans on their forum are saying that most teams in the conference when we won it were part time.

I genuinely can't even remember if this is true?

The likes of Luton, Lincoln, Cambridge, Wrexham, Grimsby, Kidderminster and Stockport weren't part time.

Were there many part time sides when we won the league? It certainly wasn't the 'majority of teams' I'm sure!
Stoney
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

Stoney wrote:Chesterfield fans on their forum are saying that most teams in the conference when we won it were part time.

The likes of Luton, Lincoln, Cambridge, Wrexham, Grimsby, Kidderminster and Stockport weren't part time.

Were there many part time sides when we won the league? It certainly wasn't the 'majority of teams' I'm sure!

They are going to say that after just winning the easiest league of all time.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 pm

If I remember rightly, teams that were technically "part-time" back then were throwing big money at players - pretty much full-time wages.

I remember Alty for example having that striker scoring plenty of goals, but he turned down plenty of league offers because his money at Alty (with goal bonuses) plus his earnings as a plasterer, far exceeded what League One and Two clubs were putting on the table.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby stag861 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:10 am

Following the season we were promoted we had a friendly at Chester who had walked away from the Conference North (Robbie Savage's Non-League team of the year). Speaking to one of their fans he said that many of the team had left as they couldn't keep their part time jobs as there was additional training, longer midweek and Saturday games meaning they couldn't match their existing wages.
Per crassum et tenues
stag861
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bacs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 pm

zod wrote:
Stoney wrote:Chesterfield fans on their forum are saying that most teams in the conference when we won it were part time.

Let’s just remember your time in the national league when players like Steve McNulty helped 2 sides gain promotion. Or you could always belt it upto Rheady which not only worked for you but Lincoln too.
bacs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:19 pm

bacs wrote:
zod wrote:

Let’s just remember your time in the national league when players like Steve McNulty helped 2 sides gain promotion. Or you could always belt it upto Rheady which not only worked for you but Lincoln too.
Yep, he is an absolute legend at Mansfield. As is Greenie.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:29 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
bacs wrote:
zod wrote:

Yep, he is an absolute legend at Mansfield. As is Greenie.

And at Lincoln too. Far better quality player than anyone in the current Cheats team. He was big but had a fabulous touch and read the game magnificently
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bacs » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:54 pm

Come on then let’s say you, Stockport and Wrexham go up this year will league two next year be the worst standard since we won it in 2013/14? Or maybe since 2010/11.
bacs
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:06 pm

bacs wrote:Come on then let’s say you, Stockport and Wrexham go up this year will league two next year be the worst standard since we won it in 2013/14? Or maybe since 2010/11.
League two will be tough next year.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:20 pm

I think we have more chance of staying up in league one than getting promoted out of league two next year.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:52 pm

Why in gods name do we still persist with this thread. Close it down for good.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum