{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stagsnet report

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Stagsnet report

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:58 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Re: Stagsnet report

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:26 pm

I hadn't noticed it at the time, but if you look at the start of the footage of the goal - Kilgour is actually the last man. When it goes out for a throw and the Bradford player still boots it down the field, Kilgour is the player who brings it down and passes it back to Hewitt to take the next throw, then he has a little George Foster-esque trot up front across the front of the footage and the next time you see him is when he's at the back heading it into the net.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:00 am

Marky Mark wrote:I hadn't noticed it at the time, but if you look at the start of the footage of the goal - Kilgour is actually the last man. When it goes out for a throw and the Bradford player still boots it down the field, Kilgour is the player who brings it down and passes it back to Hewitt to take the next throw, then he has a little George Foster-esque trot up front across the front of the footage and the next time you see him is when he's at the back heading it into the net.

I think Kilgour is a proper defender and has made a great start (it helps having a proper centre back playing at centre back} but I am not sure he is a George Foster just yet ;) Hewitt's role in the goal attacking on his natural right hand side, was fantastic - he also crossed from the right for the header from DKD. Formations don't win games, players do and they are clearly at their best when playing in their best positions - it is absurd to pick a formation and then stick players in their wrong positions just to try to make it work, it doesn't work, it hasn't worked at the back all season. We should have signed a left sided back up for Macca but what we must not do is move another first eleven player from their best position to fill the gap. We tried Bowery and Wallace at LWB and I think it was clear to all that Bowery was better - no Macca, but better than Wallace and better than moving someone from their best position to fill in.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:54 am

That Reed "opened his ligaments out" sounds horrendous. I'm not sure about such medical terms, but I guess that it means no more games for him this season. Hope it's not a life-changing injury.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:57 am

Martin - did the ball cross the line leading up to the corner which lead to Bradfords goal? From behind the net it looked a good few inches out.
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:06 am

I thought Cook was offside from the initial hook forward but it’s impossible to tell from the camera footage. One of the centre halves or Akins was meant to be marking him.

I don’t think the Reed injury will be that serious. I’m pretty sure Clough used the same terminology about Harbottle’s latest injury, it just means when a joint turns further than it should due to an impact. It happened in the 50/50 that led to Eisa’s one on one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby wayno cordiniho » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:11 am

I thought there was an offside in the build up to the corner but the linesman on that side was miles behind play for most of the game… didn’t think it went out for the throw, looked close
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:57 am

Bradders wrote:That Reed "opened his ligaments out" sounds horrendous. I'm not sure about such medical terms, but I guess that it means no more games for him this season. Hope it's not a life-changing injury.

from what Clough said, I think it will be a few weeks, like Musings said.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:58 am

stag324 wrote:Martin - did the ball cross the line leading up to the corner which lead to Bradfords goal? From behind the net it looked a good few inches out.

this is from my report:

Bradford were the better side and deservedly took the lead after 29 minutes. And it was Andy Cook, who loves scoring goals against his former clubs, with the goal. From a corner from the left, Cook rose high above the Stags defence to power a header into the net from 7 yards. Hard to say who should have been marking Cook. It was Wallace who was out-jumped by Cook, but whether someone else should have been marking him, I’m not sure. Flinders got a hand on the header, but I wouldn’t blame him for the goal, and it would have been an unbelievable save to keep it out.
In the build-up to the corner, some Stags fans thought the ball went out for a throw-in. I've watched it back. The TV camera angle isn't perfect of course, but I would say it didn't go out of play.
Cook celebrated the goal by running past the Stags fans with his hands cupped on his ears.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:02 am

wayno cordiniho wrote:I thought there was an offside in the build up to the corner but the linesman on that side was miles behind play for most of the game

I didn't think so in real time. From the video, you can't tell.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:05 am

Marky Mark wrote:I hadn't noticed it at the time, but if you look at the start of the footage of the goal - Kilgour is actually the last man. When it goes out for a throw and the Bradford player still boots it down the field, Kilgour is the player who brings it down and passes it back to Hewitt to take the next throw, then he has a little George Foster-esque trot up front across the front of the footage and the next time you see him is when he's at the back heading it into the net.

yes. I'd think we'd expect him to go up front for a long throw-in.
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby stag324 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:23 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
stag324 wrote:Martin - did the ball cross the line leading up to the corner which lead to Bradfords goal? From behind the net it looked a good few inches out.

this is from my report:

Bradford were the better side and deservedly took the lead after 29 minutes. And it was Andy Cook, who loves scoring goals against his former clubs, with the goal. From a corner from the left, Cook rose high above the Stags defence to power a header into the net from 7 yards. Hard to say who should have been marking Cook. It was Wallace who was out-jumped by Cook, but whether someone else should have been marking him, I’m not sure. Flinders got a hand on the header, but I wouldn’t blame him for the goal, and it would have been an unbelievable save to keep it out.
In the build-up to the corner, some Stags fans thought the ball went out for a throw-in. I've watched it back. The TV camera angle isn't perfect of course, but I would say it didn't go out of play.
Cook celebrated the goal by running past the Stags fans with his hands cupped on his ears.

Thanks Martin and sorry for that. I read the report twice to make sure i didn't miss it and obviously i did.

What do they say about attention to detail, sorry :-)
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby grufti » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:16 pm

Had a look at the one cleared off the line from the pitchside video released today, frozen at the point of the clearance (can't just paste it in her) - it's definitely not a goal. Maybe a small portion of the ball was above the line, but most was still in play.
Up The Stags
grufti
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum