{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Next Season

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Next Season

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:43 pm

It’s bloody obvious to anyone I’d have thought…this defence, yet again will probably cost us promotion. Clough has to sort it, but it won’t be in January and nor should it. He’s missed his opportunity and will have to wait until the summer.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:11 pm

In the summer I think we looked strong enough. JJ and Perch seem to have gone down hill. Hopefully we will get the centre half we need soon.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:In the summer I think we looked strong enough. JJ and Perch seem to have gone down hill. Hopefully we will get the centre half we need soon.

Sorry Andy I can’t agree with that. Anyone who watched our backs constantly outpaced towards the end of last season and at Wembley should have seen the weaknesses.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:In the summer I think we looked strong enough. JJ and Perch seem to have gone down hill. Hopefully we will get the centre half we need soon.

Maybe but I thought Perch should’ve retired after the injury. He shouldn’t have been counted upon imo.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:21 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:It’s bloody obvious to anyone I’d have thought…this defence, yet again will probably cost us promotion. Clough has to sort it, but it won’t be in January and nor should it. He’s missed his opportunity and will have to wait until the summer.

But what if his contract is not renewed , :(
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:46 pm

Costastag wrote:
cassellswasmagic wrote:It’s bloody obvious to anyone I’d have thought…this defence, yet again will probably cost us promotion. Clough has to sort it, but it won’t be in January and nor should it. He’s missed his opportunity and will have to wait until the summer.

I can’t see it not being, but you never know.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:55 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:
Costastag wrote:

I can’t see it not being, but you never know.

Tbh i think his stubbornees is going to be his downfall
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:17 pm

part time pete wrote:Don’t you think that Cloughie is playing his cards close to his chest and doesn’t want to give agents ideas that we have money to splash on centre halves.

But as soon as Clough wants to negotiate with a CB he has to go through an agent. They will find out anyway.

Any agent worth his salt who has a CB on his books after a move would see that we need a CB.

Whilst we have a 50% win rate (20 games 10 wins) we also have a 35% loss rate. We have a goal scoring rate of 1.45 goals a game and a goal conceding rate of 1.35 a game. A goal difference of +2. A solid defence enables us to be more creative attacking. No defence will go a season with 0 goals against but the better/best teams are the ones who successfully limit goals against whilst still scoring a good amount.

Shore up the defence and we might actually be able to play on the front foot and outscore opponents. Some days you just can't score, be it a MoM performance from the opposition keeper/defender or just one of those days. A good defence can be the difference between getting a point in a 0-0 and losing by 1 goal.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:33 pm

We definitely didn't look strong enough in the summer Andy and the current predicament was predicted by quite a few on here. Not having natural centre backs is bad enough, but then using players coming towards the end of their careers out of position is asking for trouble. We need 2 centre backs and a forward to have a squad capable of top 3. Gale and Law can then go on loan and Clough will still have the small squad he craves, but one with much better balance to it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:12 pm

If he fails this year its time to move on
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:14 pm

Heres a question for all the believers ,what exactly is your succesful season
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:15 pm

Costastag wrote:Heres a question for all the believers ,what exactly is your succesful season

Promotion
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:16 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Costastag wrote:Heres a question for all the believers ,what exactly is your succesful season

Promotion

Honest answer :mtfc:
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:

Promotion

Do you think we will achieve it
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:19 pm

Costastag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Promotion

Would take the play offs also, but only if we win them :lol: But if we lost in the play offs then questions will be asked by those in the boardroom. Will be an interesting second half of the season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:21 pm

Costastag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Promotion

Do you think we will achieve it

Heart says yes, head says not 100% sure :D
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:23 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
Costastag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Promotion

Would take the play offs also, but only if we win them :lol: But if we lost in the play offs then questions will be asked by those in the boardroom. Will be an interesting second half of the season

So would i but i honestly think we are so far behind the top teams in a mediocre league ,the fault lays squarely on nigel and his team ,
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:26 pm

Costastag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
Costastag wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:

Promotion

So would i but i honestly think we are so far behind the top teams in a mediocre league ,the fault lays squarely on nigel and his team ,

I don't think we are too far behind. Especially not after last season. There'll be a lot more twists and turns before the end, teams will come into form and also drop out of form. Don't lose hope just yet :D

Could be worse, we could have coughlan in charge ;)
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Costastag » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:47 pm

Or we could still be persisting with an ageing squad with no new centre half in january ,which is not acceptable
Costastag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:08 pm

What ought to be asked, is just what his backroom staff do. Signings are last second if at all, most being underwhelming at best. There's almost no attempt to bring our youth into the team, even when we are down to the dregs, witness the treatment of Gale and Law. If we don't go up this season, it's time to call the taxi for all of them.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby Richard Cranium » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:27 pm

Boateng and Pym proper underwhelming. Some flipping removed on here
Richard Cranium
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:30 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:What ought to be asked, is just what his backroom staff do. Signings are last second if at all, most being underwhelming at best. There's almost no attempt to bring our youth into the team, even when we are down to the dregs, witness the treatment of Gale and Law. If we don't go up this season, it's time to call the taxi for all of them.

You would be the first person to moan if we tried to blood a youngster and he wasn't good enough :lol:
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:38 pm

Richard Cranium wrote:Boateng and Pym proper underwhelming. Some flipping removed on here

Wow, even by your very, very low standards that's appalling.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:28 am

Rob wrote:
Richard Cranium wrote:Boateng and Pym proper underwhelming. Some flipping removed on here

I always miss these bits :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sat Dec 10, 2022 1:25 am

Dan wrote:
Rob wrote:

I always miss these bits :roll:

There are some words that you don't use nowadays, and whilst back when we were at school you would innocently call someone who made a mistake a "spaz" most of us have moved on from that sort of language and realise how hugely offensive this is to those who suffer from this disability. I suspect knowing you as I do Dan, you would be equally offended by the use of this term in this context.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum