{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Colchester scorerfred sponsored by day late

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Colchester scorerfred sponsored by day late

Postby oldweststander » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:34 am

Great result but we we're not so great. Colchester looked sharper overall and only Maris had any say in midfield, he's a gem.

Playing a back four we got away with it but we need to be quicker at the back and sharper up front. Yesterday's team selection was as good as it gets currently, we still need an injection of a defender and a striker if we are to push on and clinch a play off spot or better, this season.

One or two injuries, haven't we had enough, and we are back to scrapping around again to field eleven worthy players.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:56 am

oldweststander wrote:Great result but we we're not so great. Colchester looked sharper overall and only Maris had any say in midfield, he's a gem.

Playing a back four we got away with it but we need to be quicker at the back and sharper up front. Yesterday's team selection was as good as it gets currently, we still need an injection of a defender and a striker if we are to push on and clinch a play off spot or better, this season.

One or two injuries, haven't we had enough, and we are back to scrapping around again to field eleven worthy players.
Both our goals were sharply taken. The back four looked assured enough. The goal was down to a poor challenge by Quinn. The guy who scored took an unstoppable free kick (not the first time this season he has done it).
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby bozzy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:14 am

Just watched the highlights lucky the 2nd goal stood, definite foul by Akins on the centre half..
bozzy
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:34 am

bozzy wrote:Just watched the highlights lucky the 2nd goal stood, definite foul by Akins on the centre half..

Makes up for all the raspberry decisions that usually go against us
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 11:57 am

oldweststander wrote:Great result but we we're not so great. Colchester looked sharper overall and only Maris had any say in midfield, he's a gem.

I think to be honest I'm happy to write the performance off, just getting a win was the most important thing having gone through a bit of a sticky patch, the team confidence must have been shot - so was mine.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Colchester Stag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:05 pm

Anyone who thought that performance yesterday was a decent one need to, take their other hand and slap themselves around the face with it. We were dire against a relegation side with one or two half -decent players. In all a 320-mile round trip without a pint until 20:30 last night.
Colchester Stag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Marky Mark » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:10 pm

Any mention on why JJOT and Bowery were out of the matchday squad? Form? Injury? After the last few weeks I can imagine form, but haven't seen anything mentioned otherwise.
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:26 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Any mention on why JJOT and Bowery were out of the matchday squad? Form? Injury? After the last few weeks I can imagine form, but haven't seen anything mentioned otherwise.

O'Toole was suspended. Bowery didn't make the 18, was not injured
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:42 pm

bozzy wrote:Just watched the highlights lucky the 2nd goal stood, definite foul by Akins on the centre half..

I’ve just watched it a number of times and what is less obvious is what happens before Lucas pulls him to the floor.

The centre back places his straight arm right in the middle of Akin’s chest to block off any possible run. Lucas then pulls on that arm and the centre half goes to ground very easily looking for the foul. I believe it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other. If he hadn’t tried to block, he wouldn’t have got pulled over. The officials got it right.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby AJStag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:47 pm

Exactly !
AJStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby gazza1988 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:50 pm

Marky Mark wrote:Any mention on why JJOT and Bowery were out of the matchday squad? Form? Injury? After the last few weeks I can imagine form, but haven't seen anything mentioned otherwise.

JJOT was suspended for accumulation of 5 bookings.

Bowery was because there wasn't space for him. Which likely means form.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:38 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

I’ve just watched it a number of times and what is less obvious is what happens before Lucas pulls him to the floor.

The centre back places his straight arm right in the middle of Akin’s chest to block off any possible run. Lucas then pulls on that arm and the centre half goes to ground very easily looking for the foul. I believe it’s six of one and half a dozen of the other. If he hadn’t tried to block, he wouldn’t have got pulled over. The officials got it right.

The centre back barely touched Akins, probably not a foul by him, Akins then grabbed his arm and threw him to the floor, it was an obvious foul that the referee or assistant should have given - I'm pleased we got the luck we deserved but it was clearly a foul by Akins :D It only evened up the clear penalty we were denied first half which if the ref had given would have also meant a red card, which is probably why he bottled it and likely why he didn't give the Akins foul too.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:33 pm

Rob wrote:The centre back barely touched Akins

Tommy Smith grabs hold of Lucas Akins' shirt at the bottom so Lucas gives him a little tug. You can see from the goal celebrations that Lucas' shirt is ripped at the bottom.

Lucas Akins' goal was karma for all the shithouse tactics, timewasting and dodgy decisions that Matt Bloomfield, Wycombe Wanderers and Col U have got away with against the Stags in the past. Matt Bloomfield is clearly a Master of the Dark Arts having studied and practised for years under Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe.

September 2014
Wycombe 2 Mansfield Town 1
Matt Rhead gives the Stags the lead and they could easily have been 4-0 up before the ref gives Bloomfield's Wycombe a dodgy penalty as a shot from 25 yards hits Martin Riley on the arm inside the box. Martin says in his match report "Everyone in the stadium and on the pitch seemed amazed as the referee gave the penalty and yellow-carded Riley. All of the Wycombe media were certainly as surprised as the Mansfield media that the penalty was given."

October 2015
Mansfield Town 0 Wycombe Wanderers 2
Luke O'Nien scores for Wycombe scores in the 8th minute and Wycombe and Bloomfield then use their timewasting tactics for the next 86 minutes before scoring a second on the break in the 95th minute as the Stags threw players forward.

August 2018
Mansfield Town 1
Col U score a 95th minute equaliser from a long throw after Conrad Logan comes to punch it and misses it.

February 2021
Colchester United 2 Mansfield Town 2
Frank Nouble scores a 89th minute equaliser against the run of play after the Stags had dominated the game.

August 2021
Colchester United 1 Mansfield Town 1
Nouble goes down like a sack of spuds in the area after a little nudge in the back by Stephem McLaughlin and the ref awards a 95th minute penalty to allow Freddie Sears to score an undeserved equaliser for Col U. The foul on Rhys Oates yesterday was a much stronger penalty shout.

The Stags often struggle to beat Col U at home but Nigel Clough has done it twice and he's also beaten Oldham three times away. I just want him to give us a win at Swindon now. :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:01 pm

Rob wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

The centre back barely touched Akins, probably not a foul by him, Akins then grabbed his arm and threw him to the floor, it was an obvious foul that the referee or assistant should have given - I'm pleased we got the luck we deserved but it was clearly a foul by Akins :D It only evened up the clear penalty we were denied first half which if the ref had given would have also meant a red card, which is probably why he bottled it and likely why he didn't give the Akins foul too.

Probably not a foul Rob. Does that mean you’re not sure?

I don’t think there’s enough on the footage to decide either way which is why I said six of one and half a dozen of the other. There was probably a bit more which wasn’t captured by the camera but either way from what I’ve seen I still think it was right to allow the goal.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:38 pm

Akins' was definitely a clear foul, it wasn't six of one as the defender barely touched Akins and that sort of contact is normally allowed ..... It matters not, it went in our favour this time but we'd be fuming if we were Colly fans.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:54 pm

Rob wrote:Akins' was definitely a clear foul, it wasn't six of one as the defender barely touched Akins and that sort of contact is normally allowed ..... It matters not, it went in our favour this time but we'd be fuming if we were Colly fans.

Yes I agree about being upset and a ref would never give a penalty for it but the fact remains if he hadn’t put his arm into Akin’s chest, he wouldn’t have been pulled over. If Lucas had reached out and grabbed the arm without the first contact then I would wholeheartedly concede the foul, but he didn’t, he took it away from his own chest. Ok he put a bit of extra pull into it but that doesn’t count :D
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:57 pm

Rob wrote:Akins' was definitely a clear foul, it wasn't six of one as the defender barely touched Akins and that sort of contact is normally allowed ..... It matters not, it went in our favour this time but we'd be fuming if we were Colly fans.

How was Lucas's shirt so badly torn at the front if he wasn't being pulled?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby WoodhouseStag » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:10 pm

Did anyone else on here experience Garner coming in to the stand to abuse the refs just before Colchester scored? He strikes me as a bit unhinged :lol:
WoodhouseStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:35 pm

I don't get this Akins goal was a foul. It comes across that some people want it chalked off just because it was Akins. Had it been Oates or Swan it would hardly be mentioned. Akins came on, worried the Colchester defence. ( they were coping with Swan at that point of the game ) scored the winner and almost scored prior to that. The player deserves praise.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:47 pm

Amber Andy wrote:I don't get this Akins goal was a foul. It comes across that some people want it chalked off just because it was Akins. Had it been Oates or Swan it would hardly be mentioned. Akins came on, worried the Colchester defence. ( they were coping with Swan at that point of the game ) scored the winner and almost scored prior to that. The player deserves praise.

I haven’t seen anyone criticise Akins re the goal. If anything it was brilliantly clever to get use the tricks of the trade to get one over on the officials.

I posted it because it’s important to be balanced I think. Some endlessly whinge about officials (sometimes correctly), but are happy to overlook when one goes in our favour.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:56 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:I don't get this Akins goal was a foul. It comes across that some people want it chalked off just because it was Akins. Had it been Oates or Swan it would hardly be mentioned. Akins came on, worried the Colchester defence. ( they were coping with Swan at that point of the game ) scored the winner and almost scored prior to that. The player deserves praise.

I haven’t seen anyone criticise Akins re the goal. If anything it was brilliantly clever to get use the tricks of the trade to get one over on the officials.

I posted it because it’s important to be balanced I think. Some endlessly whinge about officials (sometimes correctly), but are happy to overlook when one goes in our favour.

Completely agree, it's ludicrous to suggest anyone is being critical of Akins but it was clearly a foul that we got away with, regardless of whether you think the defender fouled him first. As you say it was clever of Akins as it gave him the free header, it's clearly not his fault the ref, for whatever reason, didn't give it.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:10 pm

WoodhouseStag wrote:Did anyone else on here experience Garner coming in to the stand to abuse the refs just before Colchester scored? He strikes me as a bit unhinged :lol:

Yeah , we sit on the back row behind the home dug out. He was calling the ref a shithouse lol
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:11 pm

WoodhouseStag wrote:Did anyone else on here experience Garner coming in to the stand to abuse the refs just before Colchester scored? He strikes me as a bit unhinged :lol:

Yep. Stood right next to me... there was an awful of content.

Clearly very angry at was an awful decision
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:23 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFCMusings wrote:

Completely agree, it's ludicrous to suggest anyone is being critical of Akins but it was clearly a foul that we got away with, regardless of whether you think the defender fouled him first. As you say it was clever of Akins as it gave him the free header, it's clearly not his fault the ref, for whatever reason, didn't give it.
You need to look more closely. I am convinced there are at least two on here that post regularly who are far from stags fans. They always have a little dig even when their post appears positive.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:46 pm

I don't know who you are talking about Andy but what I do know is Musings, Martin and I are definitely Stags fans and all think we got a bit lucky :D We deserved that luck though, as we should have had a pen and red card, had that decision gone our way I think we'd have won much more easily. I often get stick for defending refs, can't defend yesterday's, he was terrible all game.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum