{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Colchester scorerfred sponsored by day late

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Colchester scorerfred sponsored by day late

Postby adamstag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:06 pm

I suppose today was a curious mix of being happy we’ve got 3 points while also producing an abysmal 90 minutes.

It’s one where you’ve got 3 points against a relegation haunted side while knowing if we played anyone decent ( swindon/bradford) we’d have been absolutely battered.

I think most were curious when akins came on and it would be fair to say there weren’t exactly many enthusiastic claps when he came on, but more so 3-4 mins later.

Struggled to understand why oates would play on the wing and swan in centre, answers on a postcard please…..

Defence remains a major concern, clough has now reached the 2 year milestone. It was a big issue when he took the job and is now arguably worse - the january transfer window is big for both clough and mansfield as the issues with defence is no longer an acceptable excuse.

I’d suggest suggest today was more papering over the cracks than a turn in a positive direction - though i’d be welcoming of a different outcome.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
CassellsCap wrote:Well done Lucas and congratulations on your 100 th senior goal.. a rare achievement .
Good post. I second that.

Me too - great milestone
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby bigalstag1 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:14 pm

I'd say you've got it spot on there, Adam. Same deficiencies that have been there for months. Let's hope January brings some movement in the transfer market.
bigalstag1
First Team
First Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:20 pm

diablo wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
broomo wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Pleased for akins..

However....

FAO Martin. Calling fans a disgrace when swan was subbed is not fair. Swan has been busy, and going for a win taking striker off isn't a good look. It paid off this time, that is why there were boos.

FAo Dean... uncessary stick? Don't call out fans for giving akins stick. He's been awful and shoehorned in for weeks. We have been rewarded this week, but that doesn't excuse why he gets stick in the first place

You don't boo your own player coming on, ever.

Martin and Dean were both spot on and justified.

Been a long time since I've been so pleased and so relieved for a player getting the winner.

Scrappy frustrating game, two absolute peaches of a cross and 2 good headers.

Much needed.

Broomo, everyone is entitled to their opinion and boing is an acceptable way of showing displeasure. Akins due to his abject performances of late has not got to work to turn those boos around. Today has proved he can though he has awful amount of poor performances to atone for before people rise to applaud him coming on.

Nahh don't try and dress it up. If you boo your own players you are severely lacking in braincells. No matter how well or badly that player is doing, it's not on

I don't think the crowd were booing the player , I think they were booing the Manager's decision, of taking Swan off and bringing Akins on

That still doesn't make it alright. But glad those who boo'd got to see Akins net a list minute winner.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby geoffhill » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:22 pm

Really pleased for Akins.He always gives his best even when playing out of position.Playing Swan and oates didn't work.Everyone I spoke to would have picked that lineup.We need a quality Centre back leaving Hawkins to offer more alternatives up top.Looks like Bowery has completely lost his confidence not even on the bench.Take a draw at Stevenage and move on.
geoffhill
Manager
Manager

Postby five to three » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:28 pm

I think Swan and Oates up front does work so long as one of them isn't played too wide. Add Lapslie as an attacking midfielder which seems to suit him rather than the roving positions NC seems to want him to cover lately and then we have a real threat going forward. Those three with a bit of time to adjust could cause defences quite a few problems.
five to three
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:31 pm

diablo wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:
I am Spartacus wrote:
broomo wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Pleased for akins..

However....

FAO Martin. Calling fans a disgrace when swan was subbed is not fair. Swan has been busy, and going for a win taking striker off isn't a good look. It paid off this time, that is why there were boos.

FAo Dean... uncessary stick? Don't call out fans for giving akins stick. He's been awful and shoehorned in for weeks. We have been rewarded this week, but that doesn't excuse why he gets stick in the first place

You don't boo your own player coming on, ever.

Martin and Dean were both spot on and justified.

Been a long time since I've been so pleased and so relieved for a player getting the winner.

Scrappy frustrating game, two absolute peaches of a cross and 2 good headers.

Much needed.

Broomo, everyone is entitled to their opinion and boing is an acceptable way of showing displeasure. Akins due to his abject performances of late has not got to work to turn those boos around. Today has proved he can though he has awful amount of poor performances to atone for before people rise to applaud him coming on.

Nahh don't try and dress it up. If you boo your own players you are severely lacking in braincells. No matter how well or badly that player is doing, it's not on

I don't think the crowd were booing the player , I think they were booing the Manager's decision, of taking Swan off and bringing Akins on

Either way it was poor. Really pleased the substitution won a hard fought game.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:37 pm

bigalstag1 wrote:I'd say you've got it spot on there, Adam. Same deficiencies that have been there for months. Let's hope January brings some movement in the transfer market.

Their goal was from a very well taken free kick. I thought the defence looked more solid. Next week will be a bigger test.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:40 pm

I thought it was quite clear that the booing was for Akins being brought on. That's as disgusting to me as the booing of previous players going back to Alistair Asher and the like. I'm very proud of our club, very proud of our fans, but that is shameful.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:41 pm

I think that was a better performance than some are giving credit for.

The move to a back four has made us look more stable and there were some good runs by both full backs. I thought Quinn looked better than he has of late and Oates caused problems for the opposition. Colchester made some quick breaks which would have ripped us to bits when we played three centre halves and they were better than the usual relegation fodder.

Admittedly it wasn’t a stand out full flowing lesson in football but given our recent form and results must count as a steadying confidence booster. It was something to build on and a game we would probably have drawn, at best, a month ago. When you take the performance of the officials into account, I’m more than satisfied with today.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:02 pm

geoffhill wrote:Really pleased for Akins.He always gives his best even when playing out of position.Playing Swan and oates didn't work.Everyone I spoke to would have picked that lineup.We need a quality Centre back leaving Hawkins to offer more alternatives up top.Looks like Bowery has completely lost his confidence not even on the bench.Take a draw at Stevenage and move on.

Playing Swan and Oates didn't work because they didn't play up front together. Oates down the middle is a no brainer.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:42 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:well done swanny :D

and brilliant cross from Hewitt

....and a brilliant ball from George Maris to start it off. He was our best player in the 1st half.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:47 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:well done swanny :D

and brilliant cross from Hewitt

....and a brilliant ball from George Maris to start it off. He was our best player in the 1st half.

To start with I thought he'd played a terrible Ball, but ended up being a great pass for Hewitt to cross.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:48 am

gazza1988 wrote:FT and its a 2-1 win. After 9mins 42s stoppage time.

Perhaps the ref was making up for the 1st half when he only played 3 minutes added time when four Col U players and George Maris had gone down injured, It was easily 5/6 minutes.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:09 am

broomo wrote:Massive credit to George Maris by the way.

In a game where Laps and Boateng struggled to get into the game Maris was absolutely superb in everything he did.

Passing, tackling, work rate all brilliant.

He deserved to win the game on his own.

George Maris was my MOM and Wakefield Stag agreed with me after the game. He was excellent in the 1st half. It was more difficult for him in the 2nd half as the game became very tight and scrappy. You could have chucked a blanket over all 20 outfield players at times.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:30 am

Col U's main tactic in the 2nd half seemed to be to launch the ball forward in the air down their left or pass it down the line on the left and then try and win throw ins. They must have had around 20 throw ins in front of the IGU (North Stand End). It was fortunate they had nobody with a decent long throw. It was also a little misguided as they had little joy down the left but when they started to attack down the right late on they suddenly had a lot more joy and put a couple of decent moves together. There was one really good bit of passing that ended with a terrible scuffed shot.

Overall though Col U deserved nothing for their timewasting tactics. They are always a frustrating team to play against at Field Mill. It was only our 9th home league win against them in 30 games (or 3 home league wins from the last 11 games) and Nigel Clough has won two of those in the last two seasons.

It was a horrible scrappy game at times but a fantastic and beautiful three points. I'm so pleased for Lucas Akins as well who changed the came. He certainly added a bit of zing. :lol: Hopefully it will provide a massive boost to his confidence and we will start to see the best of him.

Well done to Will Swan as well who scored a great goal and who managed his second win as a starter. 7 goals from 8(8) league starts is not bad at all. He's scored 6 goals at home and 1 away.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:48 am

Martin Shaw wrote:I thought it was quite clear that the booing was for Akins being brought on. That's as disgusting to me as the booing of previous players going back to Alistair Asher and the like. I'm very proud of our club, very proud of our fans, but that is shameful.

The boo was for swan going off
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby iansmith » Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:30 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:I thought it was quite clear that the booing was for Akins being brought on. That's as disgusting to me as the booing of previous players going back to Alistair Asher and the like. I'm very proud of our club, very proud of our fans, but that is shameful.

No it wasn’t. And even if it was, do you think any of these self appointed experts will admit to being out-thought by NC. No chance. Everyone knows the real reason for the booing, although those involved might find it easier to now :? pretend otherwise. They are entitled to their opinion, as I am mine. Absolute morons who shouldn’t be anywhere near the club.
iansmith
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby PostmanPat » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:07 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:

100% the boo’s were made for the sub, not at Akins.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:38 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:

Did you do a quick survey of those unfortunate people who booed ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:57 am

Costastag wrote:
jpstags wrote:I've been a supporter for over 45+ years and never wavered. The abuse and bitching on here of Akins has annoyed me so much that I have recently stopped attending games and rarely post on here.

Tbh if the posts on here upset you so much that you stopped going think you need a reeboot ,its a fans forum every one fan thinks differently its why its entertaining

Pretty much agree, it's been going on for years. You have 'recently stopped attending' :? What about the times past with Hawkeye, Bowery, Logan etc,etc and don't get me started on the early BSP years. If it bothers you that much you really should attend to cheer these lads on and help them, shouldn't you?
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:19 am

Amber Andy wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:

Excel spreadsheet
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Jay » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:46 am

It was quite clearly a minority of fans who chose to boo. And some may have been booing Akins and some may have been booing Clough and some may have been booing Swan coming off. Some may have been booing all three.

No need to let that cloud any pride anyone may have in our club or fans.
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby S7AGS » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:54 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:FT and its a 2-1 win. After 9mins 42s stoppage time.

Perhaps the ref was making up for the 1st half when he only played 3 minutes added time when four Col U players and George Maris had gone down injured, It was easily 5/6 minutes.

Or the 1 minute throw ins that Col adopted after going 1-0 up, must have wasted 10 mins of the half moving up and down the line, swapping throwers and getting refs attention to get green light to throw it
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:59 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:

Excel spreadsheet
And the results were ?
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum