{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Owls FA Cup Scorefred Sponsored by Raise Our Game

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Owls FA Cup Scorefred Sponsored by Raise Our Game

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:00 pm

So unlucky not to get something from that game.

The change in formation certainly makes us look a much better and balanced side and gave Wednesday something to think about.

I’m not impressed with Moor’s post match comments and thought him very stingy and failing to give any of the credit we deserved. It could be down to the editing but he sounded very entitled.

Well done to everyone who played their part. You’ve set the standard and now need to show it wasn’t a flash in the pan. Onward and upward
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby CraigStag » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:17 pm

Think it was a really good effort, But a missed chance of a upset by the sounds of it.
CraigStag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:31 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:41 pm

Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby tillydog123 » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:58 pm

Can we carry this one forward though
It’s sometimes steps back next week for Stags
tillydog123
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:14 pm

Hopefully Oates is back to full fitness soon. Akins is never going to score goals up there, and I'd love to see how we'd do with Oates and Swan running teams ragged.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:02 am

Proud be a stag today. The team.the fans did us proud
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:53 am

I would be interested to see how the 4-5-1 formation would play against a league two side as it worked very well today and has worked well a few times in the past when we have played teams in the higher leagues.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:24 am

Didn’t make it today, bud sadly it appeared to be that subs were mad too late and once again negligence in the transfer window has come back to haunt us.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:35 am

adamstag wrote:Didn’t make it today, bud sadly it appeared to be that subs were mad too late and once again negligence in the transfer window has come back to haunt us.

What has transfer windows got to do with yesterday ? :lol:
If we had bought in a centre half/ striker in that was within our budget that wouldn't have stopped them bringing on Bannan and Smith who are prob on 10k + a week would it...

We were undone by in the end a very good league 1 side...

Loads of positives from yesterday Adam.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:55 am

Analysing the 2nd for Weds shows that lack of desire needed to get goal side of Smith by Hewitt. Glaring mistake by him just jogging back like that.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:13 am

Reading through after the game I think we are over analysing this or perhaps we have just got used to throwing out the criticism whenever we get beat. I’ll take it for what it is in my opinion, good day out in the cup, superb performance for 80 mins against a good league one side and a great following from the fans. Biggest compliment of the day was just how much the Wednesday fans cared about getting one over on us and actually sounded like they were there when they scored!! UTS
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:35 am

Where did Quinny get that performance from? I thought he was brilliant , being an ex Blade helped i suppose . I'm not a big fan of Akins but i reckon that was his best game for the Stags, he was at it all game. Bannon and Smith made a massive difference for the Owls in second half.
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Sneag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:51 am

Spiritater wrote:Analysing the 2nd for Weds shows that lack of desire needed to get goal side of Smith by Hewitt. Glaring mistake by him just jogging back like that.

Hewitt & Gordon both put in huge shifts yesterday, there was no lack of desire in the last 15 minutes, just a lack of fuel in the tank.

I wouldn't score any of the starting 11 below a 7 yesterday.

I thought Akins, Hewitt, Maris, Lapslie & Quinn were all excellent.

My only complaint yesterday would have been the timing of the subs. Tough to make changes when we were playing well, but fresh legs in midfield attack before the equaliser may have prevented the attack from building in the 1st place.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:57 am

I'm not saying they didn't play well, but I suppose that's why Elliot is a Lge 2 defender in that those are the differences from the better players and...well us, in that they have that extra little bit more.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:58 am

Sneag wrote:
Spiritater wrote:Analysing the 2nd for Weds shows that lack of desire needed to get goal side of Smith by Hewitt. Glaring mistake by him just jogging back like that.

Hewitt & Gordon both put in huge shifts yesterday, there was no lack of desire in the last 15 minutes, just a lack of fuel in the tank.

My only complaint yesterday would have been the timing of the subs. Tough to make changes when we were playing well, but fresh legs in midfield attack before the equaliser may have prevented the attack from building in the 1st place.

That was my main gripe really. You could see we were starting to look leggy, and as soon as they started to throw on fresh legs, it should have prompted Nigel to do the same just to see the result out.
Quinny hardly ever completes a full 90, so I was expecting him to be taken off at around the same time Wednesday started to change it. I was shocked he did the full game in the end.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:03 am

Quinn was still going and driving into the box in the 90th minute, the shift that both Gordon and Hewitt put especially in the first half over lapping to get behind them was superb plus keeping Mighten quiet (thought he was poor and not what I was expecting). Even at 2-1 Lapslie had a chance to volley in the box but didn’t make good connection and Maris should have buried his in the final seconds for a replay but that’s football!!
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby part time pete » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:22 am

Is it just that Swan is the Jonah when starting, that we always seem to lose. ;)
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:18 am

Captain Cunno wrote:
adamstag wrote:Didn’t make it today, bud sadly it appeared to be that subs were mad too late and once again negligence in the transfer window has come back to haunt us.

If we had bought in a centre half/ striker in that was within our budget that wouldn't have stopped them bringing on Bannan and Smith who are prob on 10k + a week would it...

we were discussing in commentary around the 60-70 minute mark whether we would make changes. I said I wouldn't because every player was playing so well and I wouldn't disrupt that, and no-one appeared to struggling.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby S7AGS » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:20 am

stagmanrob wrote:
Sneag wrote:

That was my main gripe really. You could see we were starting to look leggy, and as soon as they started to throw on fresh legs, it should have prompted Nigel to do the same just to see the result out.
Quinny hardly ever completes a full 90, so I was expecting him to be taken off at around the same time Wednesday started to change it. I was shocked he did the full game in the end.

I’ve noticed this trait in Clough tactics… for me when playing well against a good side controlling the game, when they make changes you have to react and make equal changes to stop the impetus moving to the opposition… clough seems to let it happen and then makes the changes when opposition scores… i said yesterday when bannan came on we needed changes fast or it’ll be a long last 15…not rocket science. Letting them score before changes way too late…they cheered like they’d scored when bannan and the striker came on that should have been the warning
S7AGS
First Team
First Team

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:28 am

Martin Shaw wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

we were discussing in commentary around the 60-70 minute mark whether we would make changes. I said I wouldn't because every player was playing so well and I wouldn't disrupt that, and no-one appeared to struggling.

We were discussing it before their first goal and would like to have made changes earlier than Clough did but felt the options on the bench were very limited. Apart from Oates who clearly isn't match fit, our bench would not have improved us, in fact, the lack of pace on the bench was the last thing we needed! Our improved performance on last week's horrific effort was because some of those on the bench weren't playing. It is abundantly clear again that our first 12 or 13 are very good, after that, well we saw at Harrogate. Overall it was a great performance, especially the three in centre midfield, but I understand where Adam is coming from.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby adamstag » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:05 am

Rob wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:

We were discussing it before their first goal and would like to have made changes earlier than Clough did but felt the options on the bench were very limited. Apart from Oates who clearly isn't match fit, our bench would not have improved us, in fact, the lack of pace on the bench was the last thing we needed! Our improved performance on last week's horrific effort was because some of those on the bench weren't playing. It is abundantly clear again that our first 12 or 13 are very good, after that, well we saw at Harrogate. Overall it was a great performance, especially the three in centre midfield, but I understand where Adam is coming from.

And that’s the issue we have.

Of course if you’re playing well it lessens the need for subs, but clearly in a game based on fitness if the other team can bring on quality towards the latter end of the game it can turn the 50/50 games like yesterday.

We don’t usually have those options on the bench.

We’ve just lost away to a side a league above us, but it doesn’t change the fact we’re being hamstrung by the transfer activity.

There does seem to be increasing noise from folk wanting rid of the manager, not one that i subscribe to, but he does have a big transfer window ahead of him.
Last edited by adamstag on Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:09 am

S7AGS wrote:
stagmanrob wrote:
Sneag wrote:Hewitt & Gordon both put in huge shifts yesterday, there was no lack of desire in the last 15 minutes, just a lack of fuel in the tank.

I’ve noticed this trait in Clough tactics… for me when playing well against a good side controlling the game, when they make changes you have to react and make equal changes to stop the impetus moving to the opposition… clough seems to let it happen and then makes the changes when opposition scores… i said yesterday when bannan came on we needed changes fast or it’ll be a long last 15…not rocket science. Letting them score before changes way too late…they cheered like they’d scored when bannan and the striker came on that should have been the warning

Who would you have brought on to counter Bannan and Smith? Clarke I would argue but he wasn't available.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:27 am

Doesn't that really expose the limitations of our squad Martin? I do agree, as I said above, that the options from the bench were pretty much limited to an unfit Oates for Swan.
Rob
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum