{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Akins - does not merit his constant team selection

Postby G B » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:10 pm

Some suggest it was a one off performance today but I seem to recall similar MOM type praise after Northampton away in the play offs and the City young uns the other night. Not bad considering that's a maximum of 10 games of which he hasn't started / played in all of them.
Perhaps it's getting to the point where some supporters should cut Lucas and the other lads some slack, be a bit more patient and learn to offer support rather than heavy criticism when players go through a bad spell.
Bowery and Hewitt spring to mind as recent examples where similar has happened.
I suppose every club is the same to a certain degree but we always seem to need a scape goat to take frustration out of when things don't go too well.
Perhaps fresh, positive thinking and words from fans could help our cause for promotion?
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby zod » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:19 pm

I’ll eat my hat if he continues with performances like this. Think this is his best position, holding the ball up.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:23 pm

G B wrote:Some suggest it was a one off performance today but I seem to recall similar MOM type praise after Northampton away in the play offs and the City young uns the other night. Not bad considering that's a maximum of 10 games of which he hasn't started / played in all of them.
Perhaps it's getting to the point where some supporters should cut Lucas and the other lads some slack, be a bit more patient and learn to offer support rather than heavy criticism when players go through a bad spell.
I suppose every club is the same to a certain degree but we always seem to need a scape goat to take frustration out of when things don't go too well.
Perhaps fresh, positive thinking and words from fans could help our cause for promotion?

Considering our results since January it seems even when things are going well.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:15 pm

zod wrote:I’ll eat my hat if he continues with performances like this. Think this is his best position, holding the ball up.

That's the spirit
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:32 pm

zod wrote:I’ll eat my hat if he continues with performances like this. Think this is his best position, holding the ball up.

I hope it's a flipping stove pipe.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby G B » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:44 pm

broomo wrote:
G B wrote:Some suggest it was a one off performance today but I seem to recall similar MOM type praise after Northampton away in the play offs and the City young uns the other night. Not bad considering that's a maximum of 10 games of which he hasn't started / played in all of them.

Agreed
G B
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby adamstag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:41 pm

G B wrote:
broomo wrote:

Agreed

better than the fan behind me who kept calling him the escape goat :lol:
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:07 pm

Class today.

Anyone who wants to say otherwise has a clear agenda. When he gets his body in and pins his man nobody is shifting him which is a dream for players like Lapslie and Maris as we saw today
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:51 pm

Do you own a hat?? What kind of hat is it? How will you go about eating it?
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:51 pm

and a great pass for Lapslie to set up Maris for his goal. we're playing some beautiful football at the minute
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 pm

Have I got to amend the thread title by removing the word ‘not’.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:15 pm

Missed his pen
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby Opus » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:50 pm

part time pete wrote:Have I got to amend the thread title by removing the word ‘not’.

yes
Opus
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby bear 73 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:29 pm

:P
G B wrote:
broomo wrote:

Agreed
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:14 pm

broomo wrote:

Some people just aren't happy unless there's something to moan about.
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:20 am

From what I have observed...Holds the ball up well when his first touch allows him to do so..not a great header of the ball , works hard..an experienced player capable of playing in several positions..personally I think he would benefit from playing in a settled position...probably will not reach the standards he set with Burton when he was younger but still ok at this level
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Ethers1979 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:53 pm

3 goals in 4 games, top scorer?
Ethers1979
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby pemill » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:16 pm

We've seen what he is capable of in the past few games, obviously his best position. Nice to see him doing well.
pemill
Manager
Manager

Postby SeanieStag » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:25 pm

It's taken some time but he's starting to come good. He needs a sustained period of good performances though to win the sceptics over. He came with high expectations from some fans and they haven't let go of those.
SeanieStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Vice President » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:25 pm

Watch Macca's Gillingham post match interview. He explains the important role that Akins plays up-front in bringing in other players - the wing back's and the midfielders.

The way he took his goal also suggests that he can be an effective striker.

Akins wasn't helped by the fact that for many games he was playing as a wing-back, which is not his best position. Keep him 'up-front' and we will see how valuable he can be.
Vice President
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:44 pm

He was poor today
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:52 am

The One wrote:He was poor today

Not by himself. I think the dip in hold up play probably effected the team more than people realise.

He didn’t have a bad game but just wasn’t as effective as of late. Plenty of other players misplacing passes as well and it was just one of those games. Not a good advert for league two but three vital points.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stag324 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:30 am

He did ok yesterday, our problems came from poor crosses and the inability to shoot when the opportunity arose
stag324
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Rob » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:59 am

stag324 wrote:He did ok yesterday, our problems came from poor crosses and the inability to shoot when the opportunity arose

I did think Akins was poor but do agree that the general standard of crossing was also poor. Our midfield dominance enabled our wide players to get into some great positions but the delivery, especially from Macca and Gordon, was poor. At half time we'd had just 2 of 23 crosses "successful" which I assume means met by a Stags player. Thankfully Wallaces' cross was superb!
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:01 am

On your own up top…you need better service!!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum