{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

trying to get in

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: trying to get in

Postby wayno cordiniho » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:31 pm

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2022 ... LW-0E1HAMk

So it is the barcodes that are the problem and the fact that more people took a physical card than expected. Appreciate there was a short window but we’ve been talking about needing and getting a new system for months
Last edited by wayno cordiniho on Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wayno cordiniho
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:32 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby yorkshire stag » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:46 pm

or just open another turnstile maybe ?
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:46 pm

the club will be offering a trial to invite a number of season ticket holders who have barcoded season tickets, the option of exchanging this to an E-season ticket which can be stored in their mobile phone device and presented at the turnstile upon entry or to change their season ticket card to one with a QR code.

Great news. I wanted an E ticket but couldn't order it online when i bought my ST, so hopefully they'll change it.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:05 pm

arsene wengers coat wrote:the club will be offering a trial to invite a number of season ticket holders who have barcoded season tickets, the option of exchanging this to an E-season ticket which can be stored in their mobile phone device and presented at the turnstile upon entry or to change their season ticket card to one with a QR code.

Great news. I wanted an E ticket but couldn't order it online when i bought my ST, so hopefully they'll change it.

It's been posted on here that the club have always been happy to swap your ticket to an e-version. Why didn't they put the QR code on the physical cards? I mean surely they tested the system?
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby maverick34 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:43 am

Rob wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:the club will be offering a trial to invite a number of season ticket holders who have barcoded season tickets, the option of exchanging this to an E-season ticket which can be stored in their mobile phone device and presented at the turnstile upon entry or to change their season ticket card to one with a QR code.

It's been posted on here that the club have always been happy to swap your ticket to an e-version. Why didn't they put the QR code on the physical cards? I mean surely they tested the system?

"In the first three home games of the new season, we have recognised that the turnstile scanners have not functioned as effectively as they did during the testing phase which showed only a marginal difference between the various ticket types."

I'd assume by this taken from the article on the website that there was a testing phase, saw a similar number of errors with both QR's and Barcodes, and decided at that point there was nothing glaringly obvious to make any changes to the system, at that point. This probably would indicate a flaw in the testing phase and raises the question over how big was the 'testing phase'? To be at risk of opening up a can of worms here, maybe a couple more home Pre Season Friendlies might have highlighted the issues sooner, and the club could have done something about it before the proper stuff started?
maverick34
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby diablo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:40 am

No problem...went to the IGU turnstile about 7:20 and there was a queue of about 50 ...five minutes later there were probably 150 people behind me..one of the scanners wasn't working...but got in by 7:35..the system does need sorting but also people realise the days of turning up 5 minutes before KO and strolling in have gone ..attendances have doubled...so get there earlier
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Curry 9 Brace 7 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:42 am

You book a holiday, you scan your credit card. You go to Morrisons, you tap yer card. Even little corner shops, you present yer card. Simple. Not at the stags, no, thats system is far to easy, lets make it difficult. You have to hold yer card at 43degrees and 2.7inches from the reader !! Only at MTFC would this happen,, The gates open at 1-30 they say :lol: You couldnt make it up
Curry 9 Brace 7
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Pitkin » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:31 am

Arrived at 7.21, queued til 7.47, put my ticket up to the scanner and nothing happened. Steward got a 'master card' and hey presto i was in. I'm just thankful it wasn't raining like earlier in the day.

Some people on here saying no problem getting in.....that is the case for them, but for hundreds of souls trying to enter that is a problem. A steward apologized to people up and down the line, and actually said the system is useless......which probably isn't the case, however it isn't very good right now, and when you add in those who try to queue jump, well there's only one way that will end up.
Pitkin
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:50 am

Curry 9 Brace 7 wrote:You book a holiday, you scan your credit card. You go to Morrisons, you tap yer card. Even little corner shops, you present yer card. Simple. Not at the stags, no, thats system is far to easy, lets make it difficult. You have to hold yer card at 43degrees and 2.7inches from the reader !! Only at MTFC would this happen,, The gates open at 1-30 they say :lol: You couldnt make it up

Go to Tottenham Hotspur, get your ticket directly sent to your Google wallet.

Go to Latitude festival or a Sam Fender gig at Finsbury park, Ticketmaster send your ticket to your Google wallet.

Use the the London underground, tap your phone and the gates open.

It should be so easy to just tap your phone and get entry.

I got my ST transferred, but let's see how we go before we hail it a success.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:15 am

diablo wrote:No problem...went to the IGU turnstile about 7:20 and there was a queue of about 50 ...five minutes later there were probably 150 people behind me..one of the scanners wasn't working...but got in by 7:35..the system does need sorting but also people realise the days of turning up 5 minutes before KO and strolling in have gone ..attendances have doubled...so get there earlier

Easy to say no problem and imply it's because people are turning up at the last minute, but it isn't as simple as that.
I arrived at the same time as you, 7.20, and missed the kick off. What time do you suggest I should arrive ?
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:32 am

I think we need to help the club on this and I don’t think 25 minutes before ko is early although I do think there shouldn’t be a problem getting in for Ko at that time. The problem is most people like a few beers and I would imagine a significant number arrive between 0-30 minutes before.

I’ve contacted the club this morning and moved my season ticket from card to apple wallet. I didn’t see that option when applying - the default option was card and clearly the majority ticked the first box.

Big game tomorrow - onwards and upwards
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Dave Wayne » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:52 am

Not suggesting for one minute that 25 minutes is 'early' but the implication in his post was that he arrived at 7.20 and got in so all those moaning must have arrived later which is clearly not the case.

Agree that some people like a few beers and that is their choice if they want to risk it, but other people are working and then eating so it's difficult to get there much earlier.
Dave Wayne
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:45 pm

Not only us having problems, Shrewsbury having same issues

The club would like to apologise to fans for issues regarding the amount of time it is currently taking for some fans to get through the new access control system at Montgomery Waters Meadow.

Following fan feedback, we are working with all parties involved to resolve the issues.

After collecting data from the system, 5,092 fans attempted to get through the turnstiles in the 20 mins prior to kick-off (after 7:25pm) last night. Subtract the number of away fans included in that number, and it would’ve required 13 fans to go through each of the 18 home turnstiles per minute in order for everyone to make it in on time. Therefore, where possible, we encourage fans to try to get into the stadium earlier to avoid long queues.

However, there are other issues and in the interest of transparency, we are looking into the quality of printing on tickets and season cards; IT infrastructure; what can be done to encourage fans to enter the stadium earlier; if the system can be improved to scan tickets faster; and queue management to increase efficiency.

The situation will continue to be monitored and fans will be updated through the club’s online channels.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby Bradders » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:00 pm

Rob wrote:

Looks like they did have the ability to print QR codes instead of bar codes. I haven't heard the explanation for using a dual system, which anyone could have predicted was more risky.

And the big advantage with QR codes for this application, is that they can be read in any direction. So you can hold it at an angle, or upside down. Bar codes have to be presented to the scanner in the right way. Not very suitable for public usage, when time is of the essence.

If they tested the system at the ground, I suggest that they didn't use professionals to test.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:01 am

well here we go again Round three of wazz up in a brewery, let’s just hope the product is fixed & we have stopped blaming the paying customer
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:41 am

It would have been tested by a couple of people. Issue is once its rolled out its "tested" by 5000+ people in quick succession.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:03 am

Just setting off to make sure I'm first in the queue :lol:
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:12 am

yorkshire stag wrote:well here we go again Round three of wazz up in a brewery, let’s just hope the product is fixed & we have stopped blaming the paying customer

Unfortunately we don't live in a perfect world. Have you tried to get a GP or dentist appointment recently? "Wazz ups" as you call them happen. Are you as critical when other aspects of your life don't go the way you want them to ? As said by someone earlier maybe the club and supporters should work together to get the best solution. Yes it is a headache for supporters and also for the club.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:21 am

gazza1988 wrote:It would have been tested by a couple of people. Issue is once its rolled out its "tested" by 5000+ people in quick succession.

You test IT systems properly, otherwise lots of dissatisfied customers and egg all over face. One basic test is that the system can handle the numbers, and cope with a sudden surge. Another is using deliberately incompetent customers to test resilience and user friendliness.

I suspect that there's a general attitude with football clubs that customers can't go elsewhere, so making them dissatisfied isn't a big problem for the business model. So clubs can take risks that in most situations would be regarded as reckless.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:24 pm

Bradders wrote:
gazza1988 wrote:It would have been tested by a couple of people. Issue is once its rolled out its "tested" by 5000+ people in quick succession.

You test IT systems properly, otherwise lots of dissatisfied customers and egg all over face. One basic test is that the system can handle the numbers, and cope with a sudden surge. Another is using deliberately incompetent customers to test resilience and user friendliness.

I suspect that there's a general attitude with football clubs that customers can't go elsewhere, so making them dissatisfied isn't a big problem for the business model. So clubs can take risks that in most situations would be regarded as reckless.

That's harsh. Do you really think they welcome the flak ? I'm sure Mr Sharpe wants to run things professionally.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby tiptop » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:10 pm

Spot in today, instant get in put your card sideways to the machine not a problem at all...
tiptop
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby robeyre » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:31 pm

Quarry lane today.
No problems and no queues.
I have season ticket bar code but just 2 attempts. Just be patient, system so much better than old one.
robeyre
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Bradders » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Straight in at 2.30. Didn't notice any queues.
Bradders
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:37 pm

Bradders wrote:

So they should have printed off 100% of the tickets they sold and tested each 1 on each turnstile?

I'll confess, I know little about this kind of testing but have experience testing other things.

If you were testing this system would you have 7000 barcodes on various surfaces and devices to test each one 7000 times before allowing the public to use it?

Seems a bit far fetched to me. Usually it'd be 4 or 5 of each type and then test them. Then you release to the public and you have someone nearby with a ovveride barcode (like tesco self serve) to get people through.

Those self serve machines can be a pain in the backside. It's just they way it is.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum