{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Derby Fred sponsored by I did it in a previous life

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Derby Fred sponsored by I did it in a previous life

Postby Hon Sec » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 pm

Couldn’t see how the lineswoman flagged for offside when Swan put the ball in the net, it came out to him off the keeper.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Showaddywaddy » Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 pm

I think we were the better side for most of the game and certainly on top for large spells in the second half. It was most unfair of Derby to bring Mendez-Laing on, he did Hewitt all ends up and put in a peach of a cross, you won’t see that wing play week in week out in League Two.

For the first goal I think you could argue that Gordon was out of position and had tucked in to the edge of our box too much but overall it was a very good performance.

I hope that’s an end to the Bowery can play in defence experiment, he got let off with the back pass on Saturday and was totally done by the flight of the ball tonight.

Pym

Freeman (please) JJ Hawkins Harbottle Macca

Maris Boateng Quinn

Oates. New CF

Covered by

Flinders

Gordon Hewitt New CB Cooper (when fit) Wallace (when fit)

Lapslie Hartigan Clarke

Bowery Swan

Leaves Akins (when fit) Law (when fit), Perch (when fit) and Gale.

If we landed a top class new CB, we’re actually in for Freeman and a top
CF I’d think we’d have a balanced squad that could cover all positions with quality replacements.

You can argue that when Perch return we have enough at CB and with Perch, Hewitt and Gordon all able to play RB/RWB we may have enough there, it’s just that next step up. At a minimum we need a new CF/No.10
More People Use Sankey Than For Any Other Reason
Showaddywaddy
Manager
Manager

Postby Hon Sec » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:04 pm

I thought Swan had a very good game tonight, and he will only get better.
Hon Sec
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:09 pm

adamstag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:It’s almost as if we need another quality CB lol

You’d have to assume he’s got something in the pipeline?

I appreciate he can touch on the stubborn side like his old man but it’s so ridiculously obvious it’s unreal.

Literally that one CB could make the difference between an ok season and a great season.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:15 pm

Does anyone else think that Clarke or Lapslie should start instead of Quinn in midfield?

I love Quinn but I don’t think he offers enough anymore to warrant him starting every game.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:16 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Does anyone else think that Clarke or Lapslie should start instead of Quinn in midfield?

I love Quinn but I don’t think he offers enough anymore to warrant him starting every game.

He was very good on Saturday. I suspect Quinn might be on the bench this weekend given Cloughs comments.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:58 pm

adamstag wrote:So a forward playing as a forward scores

A forward playing as a defender gets sent off.

HELLO NIGEL

Incredible isn't it. Meanwhile we've got a centre half sat on the bench... :roll:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:07 pm

Rob wrote:Excellent performance and a highly entertaining game, we deserved at least a draw and pens. Gordon did well but my MOM was Lapslie. Clarke again did well as sub and was the stimulus for a very strong 2nd half which we totally dominated until their ill deserved 2nd. A word on the Derby fans, took them two minutes to start chanting scabs, how embarrassing for them, basically a slightly bigger, more pathetic version of Cheaterfield.

It also demonstrated once again how badly we need a CB. Bowery is not a CB and Hawkins had a bit of a mare 1st half but was a real threat when moved up front.

Derby fans chanting Mansfield a raspberry hole, the irony been that dump plenty of times
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:11 pm

Hon Sec wrote:I thought Swan had a very good game tonight, and he will only get better.

He was dying to score in front of the Derby fans :lol:
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:14 pm

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby bobbystagsfan » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:18 pm

Got to love Lapslie, that sprint he did to tackle their player when he was essentially one on one was class. I know it's such a basic thing in football but you love to see that determination and effort. Was unlucky to not score too. Could be in for a start on Saturday, Gordon and laps were great tonight.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:05 am

The One wrote:
Rob wrote:Excellent performance and a highly entertaining game, we deserved at least a draw and pens. Gordon did well but my MOM was Lapslie. Clarke again did well as sub and was the stimulus for a very strong 2nd half which we totally dominated until their ill deserved 2nd. A word on the Derby fans, took them two minutes to start chanting scabs, how embarrassing for them, basically a slightly bigger, more pathetic version of Cheaterfield.

It also demonstrated once again how badly we need a CB. Bowery is not a CB and Hawkins had a bit of a mare 1st half but was a real threat when moved up front.

Derby fans chanting Mansfield a raspberry hole, the irony been that dump plenty of times

I thought the 'Mansfield fan' waving the Forest flag was just as cringe worthy.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Jamie » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:39 am

bobbystagsfan wrote:Got to love Lapslie, that sprint he did to tackle their player when he was essentially one on one was class. I know it's such a basic thing in football but you love to see that determination and effort. Was unlucky to not score too. Could be in for a start on Saturday, Gordon and laps were great tonight.

Laps was my motm tonight,, worked his backside off throughout. Mecca a close 2nd.

Can't agree in Gordon, he doesn't do it for me. First game back so maybe needs time but he still can't beat a man,, can't cross and is positionally weak. That said, I'd still sooner have him at RWB than Bowery or Akins.
Jamie
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:44 am

Jamie wrote:
bobbystagsfan wrote:Got to love Lapslie, that sprint he did to tackle their player when he was essentially one on one was class. I know it's such a basic thing in football but you love to see that determination and effort. Was unlucky to not score too. Could be in for a start on Saturday, Gordon and laps were great tonight.

Laps was my motm tonight,, worked his backside off throughout. Mecca a close 2nd.

Can't agree in Gordon, he doesn't do it for me. First game back so maybe needs time but he still can't beat a man,, can't cross and is positionally weak. That said, I'd still sooner have him at RWB than Bowery or Akins.

Cant cross, he crossed for our goal !!!
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby The One » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:00 am

Sneag wrote:
The One wrote:

Derby fans chanting Mansfield a raspberry hole, the irony been that dump

What !! It was to wind them up.like skunks flag at new joker park. Bitter rivals
The One
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:32 am

The One wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Exactly.

I'd rather have Gordon than Bowery there. Didn't Gordon beat his man with a bit of skill first half? Okay I agree his crossing isn't amazing but I still think he was decent yesterday.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:05 am

Jamie wrote:

We must have been watching a different game.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sneag » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:34 am

The One wrote:
Sneag wrote:
The One wrote:

Derby fans chanting Mansfield a raspberry hole, the irony been that dump

What !! It was to wind them up.like skunks flag at new joker park. Bitter rivals

Yeah, that was pathetic too.
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
Sneag
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:55 am

The One wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Looks like a Maris delivery to me.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby Suttonian » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:19 am

Showaddywaddy wrote:I hope that’s an end to the Bowery can play in defence experiment, he got let off with the back pass on Saturday and was totally done by the flight of the ball tonight.

Against Salford instead of following his man gave their 2 goalscorers the freedom of the penalty area and stood watching as they sidefooted past Pym.

A back up centre forward who can't head a ball under pressure being asked to play back up central defender for the club's best centre forward who is also first choice central defender
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Ralphy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:23 am

Surely last night has shown that trying to shoehorn Bowery into the side just doesn’t work. He needs to play up front and would be second choice to Hawkins IMO with Harbottle, Hewitt and O’Toole playing at the back with Gordon and Macca as wings backs
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Amber Andy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:54 am

Ralphy wrote:Surely last night has shown that trying to shoehorn Bowery into the side just doesn’t work. He needs to play up front and would be second choice to Hawkins IMO with Harbottle, Hewitt and O’Toole playing at the back with Gordon and Macca as wings backs
I don't think Hewitt is a solid defender at league two level. Bowery definitely isn't.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby daddycool » Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:56 am

Spiritater wrote:
The One wrote:
Jamie wrote:

Looks like a Maris delivery to me.

CORRECT
daddycool
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:28 am

Amber Andy wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Surely last night has shown that trying to shoehorn Bowery into the side just doesn’t work.

The rash tackle for the sending-off shows why it's not a great idea to play an attacker as a centre-back.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:29 am

zod wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Ralphy wrote:Surely last night has shown that trying to shoehorn Bowery into the side just doesn’t work.

The rash tackle for the sending-off shows why it's not a great idea to play an attacker as a centre-back.

I mean he mis judged the bounce of the ball, which could happen to any player. And no this is not me defending Cloughie playing a striker at the back. He then tried to make it right but unfortunately brought their man down and got sent off.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum