{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Let's Have A Thread About non-league Cheaterfurlough

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Let's Have A Thread About non-league Chesterfield

Postby Jimstag » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:16 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:I've been saying for a while that Stockport will win the league. I'm a fan of Dave Challinor. However I would be highly delighted if Boreham Wood, Halifax, Wrexham, Bromley and the Daggers also won the league.

Forty more years!!

I’ve fixed that for you
Jimstag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby CassellsCap » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:20 am

Ten more years of trying and falling short please.
CassellsCap
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby Johan » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:33 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::D Melt down on BLOBS Board :lol:

Let me guess, they’re trying to convince themselves the conference is stronger than League Two? It’s adorable when they do that.
Johan
First Team
First Team

Postby Parkinsons Perm » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:53 am

Johan wrote:

Let me guess, they’re trying to convince themselves the conference is stronger than League Two? It’s adorable when they do that.

Yes :lol: there are still posts saying it is now stronger than league 2 because of all the ex league clubs "trapped" down there due to lack of promotion places :lol:
Parkinsons Perm
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:12 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Johan wrote:

Yes :lol: there are still posts saying it is now stronger than league 2 because of all the ex league clubs "trapped" down there due to lack of promotion places :lol:

It's true, I've heard Pep Guardiola is terrified of Stags reaching the Premier League.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby BoughtonStag71 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:19 am

Yep, according to a blobs board poster there's a pub team in lge 2 called Mansfailed. Currently in a respectable 7th place....wish I supported them
:coys:
BoughtonStag71
First Team
First Team

Postby arsene wengers coat » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:48 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Johan wrote:

Yeah all those clubs who finished 24th and 23rd in L2 make it so much stronger than L2. How does that work.

The FL club's would have to ratify the promotion places increasing (the relegation places increasing in L2). They ain't goon add to their risk of relegation and loss of funding.

I think it should be 2 because teams shouldn't be rewarded for slipping that low. There is a 'glut' of 'quality' at the top of the NL but you could argue that wouldn't be the case if it was easier to get promoted. The other reason why it's tight at the top is because several clubs have gone under new ownership with owners getting a cheap club (non-league and all that), never have we seen this happen to so many at the same time and they all invested at the same time in the same thing. This is the exception, not the rule.

While some club's adapt well to life in the EFL and NL, some don't. NL is not stronger than L2. Chesterfield got a double relegation from LQ to NL so by that logic, L2 is stronger than L1, and L1 stronger than the Championship?. It's just not true.

It's good for the NL that you have to be good to get out. It breeds quality from the bottom up.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Arnolds Rod » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:12 am

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote::lol:

This guy needs to row back from doing his David Brent impression.
Arnolds Rod
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby mousemousemouse » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:25 am

He's a right raspberry to the interviewer sometimes
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby marker_mtfc95 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:28 am

He sounds like a teenager, that doesn’t get his own way :lol:
Mansfield till I die
marker_mtfc95
Manager
Manager

Postby wink68 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:29 am

Parkinsons Perm wrote:
Johan wrote:

Which giant of the football league won the division last season stopping all the other regaining their god given place in league 2.
wink68
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:21 am

Let's face it, once (if ever they do) the sheep return to the FL if a vote is needed to increase the number of teams up from t'pit which way will they vote?

Just like turkeys voting for Xmas all FL clubs'll put an X in the no box.
The loss of funding, lack of away fans and stigma of NL makes a vote a non starter unless stupid amounts are paid out in parachutes.
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:30 am

There’s also a reason it’s called league and NON league. If it was four up four down then it would just be another bit of the regular league with the same rules. It’s supposed to be hard to get into and you have to earn it and I think two is probably about right.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag95 » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:34 am

Let them sit and rot down there. It’s a horrible league and we went through some miserable times so I’m enjoying it being the same for them. Let them implode and get battered in the playoffs.

I’ve spent most of my life in leagues below Chesterfield and County, if we end up being 2 leagues above them both I can’t tell you how much I’d love it.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Sedgwick » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:20 pm

Stockport hitting form at the right time which is nice to see. County and wrexham etc will all take points off Chesterfield in the coming weeks.

The slide starts now.

Strong rumour Kabongo will leave towards the end of the window
Sedgwick
Manager
Manager

Postby HitchcocksShins » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:30 pm

Leagues tightening up nicely even earlier than I'd have hoped. Gonna be fun watching it all fall apart for them.

I'd be interested to look into how dominant the eventual promoted teams have been through the course of the season vs. how many got promoted having gone into top form in the final third of the season, over the last, say, decade.

I personally don't care if the sheep get promoted back, just as long as it takes them longer than our 5 years. CBA with hearing them sing "we did it in four, we did it in foooooour, you did it in five years, we did it in four" :D
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager

Postby stagparty » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:47 pm

I think right now would be a very appropriate time to return to the old system, re election.
20/04/2013 Back where we belong.
stagparty
First Team
First Team

Postby ParisStag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:25 am

HitchcocksShins wrote:Leagues tightening up nicely even earlier than I'd have hoped. Gonna be fun watching it all fall apart for them.

I'd be interested to look into how dominant the eventual promoted teams have been through the course of the season vs. how many got promoted having gone into top form in the final third of the season, over the last, say, decade.

I personally don't care if the sheep get promoted back, just as long as it takes them longer than our 5 years. CBA with hearing them sing "we did it in four, we did it in foooooour, you did it in five years, we did it in four" :D

With some big spenders in that league, this window could see squads strengthened. I fully expect the gift that keeps on giving to, well... keep on giving :lol:
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:20 pm

bellwhiff wrote:
arsene wengers coat wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:

I’d love to see that. Got a soft spot for Hearts.

Says a lot about the quality of the Scottish game though

He's got a buyout of £350k. For any team with that to spare, he's worth a punt, and I'd rather play SPL than NL. Doesn't really say anything about the quality of the Scottish game.

Yeah it does. That a player in the NL is interesting SPL teams says a lot. Calum Butcher. Look at the example of him. The SPL is very poor. Apart from the Old Firm, it’s L1 standard

Wheres bellwhifter when you want to ram his words down his throat...
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby mousemousemouse » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Despite all the money they've thrown at it this year, the money they're paying to / paid for tshimanga,l it's funny that they're struggling to run away with the title.

A couple of bad results and they could be 5/6/7. Add in other teams adding to their squad and they're trying not to lose their top goalscorer, it could be interesting for them
mousemousemouse
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:46 pm

Enjoy

Jeff King is suddenly banging in some cracking free kicks for the Spireites.

Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:08 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
NEStag wrote:I was at Barnet today (couldn’t make it to the Mill). In fairness they were decent and beat Barnet easily. Singing about us as usual.

Hanging on to Tshmanga will be key to their season. Although I don’t think he would pull up any trees at league level, he suits the conference perfectly. He’s big and strong and has enough about him to beat slow defenders and push them around.

If they keep him they will probably go up via the playoffs, if not they can look forward to another season in the pit of misery.

Says on today's red button football text that a premier and several championship teams are interested in him :shock:
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:52 am

scotsstag wrote:
Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:
NEStag wrote:I was at Barnet today (couldn’t make it to the Mill). In fairness they were decent and beat Barnet easily. Singing about us as usual.

Hanging on to Tshmanga will be key to their season. Although I don’t think he would pull up any trees at league level, he suits the conference perfectly. He’s big and strong and has enough about him to beat slow defenders and push them around.

If they keep him they will probably go up via the playoffs, if not they can look forward to another season in the pit of misery.

Says on today's red button football text that a premier and several championship teams are interested in him :shock:

They even mentioned him on TalkSport, the Hawkesby and whoever is with him these days show.
Saying it would be a less expensive gamble for most clubs rather than paying bigger money for Championship and League One goalscorers.
From what I've seen he'll struggle higher than League Two, but if the price is right he's worth a gamble when you consider the losses some clubs are willing to take.
Just look at Pompey with Marquis for example.

Spireites seem to think they can get closer to a million for him :lol:
Jamie Vardy at Fleetwood, he most definitely aint.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby ParisStag » Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:58 am

Doesn't he have a 350k release clause?
ParisStag
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:36 am

ParisStag wrote:Doesn't he have a 350k release clause?

That's what I've heard, but wouldn't be surprised if spireites didn't understand how they work.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum