{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Kieran Wallace signed from Burton on a free transfer

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby broomo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:
Rob wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:
broomo wrote:
bellwhiff wrote:I’ve heard this is done. Once again, I’ll say nothing for fear of upsetting people


Have you ever seen him play?


Why does this matter ?


Is that a serious question? Surely you'd be able to judge a player much better if you've seen him play?


That wasn't my point...
My point was why does it matter if Bellwhiff has seen him play...?

Clearly broomo has and bellwhiff hasn't..

Was just a sly dig in my view...

I'll be for it now for siding up with the board villain.


Side away mate. No issues with that.

Wasn't a sly dig. I just think he has a bee in his bonnet about Burton players for some reason and considering the impact Quinn & O'Toole have had I don't understand it.

They've been playing at a a higher level and cab cope comfortably with League 2. They know what the manager expects from them so should take less time to settle.

If it was up to me I'd also take Akins, Brayford and ex Brewer Joe Sbarra this window if we could.

They would all add quality to what is already a very decent squad.

Nowt wrong with Burton rejects as long as they're decent players and good lads.
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:54 pm

I have no issues in signing good players , regardless of where they have played before...
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
User avatar
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:23 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Beano » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 pm

broomo wrote:
If it was up to me I'd also take Akins, Brayford and ex Brewer Joe Sbarra this window if we could.

They would all add quality to what is already a very decent squad.

Nowt wrong with Burton rejects as long as they're decent players and good lads.


If we sign all those, we’ll become the side we beat 2 years ago :lol:

https://www.mansfieldtown.net/news/2019 ... 12-nov-19/
User avatar
Beano
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3039
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:58 pm

Selective memory again Broomo.

Quinn and o’toole - fantastic

Sarkic - waste of money

Nartey - so far waste Of money (although I hope he can come good).

I like your contribution to the board but you lack objectivity when it comes to Clough’s weaknesses
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby bobbystagsfan » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:07 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Selective memory again Broomo.

Quinn and o’toole - fantastic

Sarkic - waste of money

Nartey - so far waste Of money (although I hope he can come good).

I like your contribution to the board but you lack objectivity when it comes to Clough’s weaknesses



I mean Clough is not going to get every signing right. No manager gets every signing right and I think you are being a bit harsh.

Sarkic was unlucky with injuries, nothing anyone can do about it. It was a nothing season anyway and we never relied on him so nothing missed really from him. O'Toole and Quinn have more than made up for any poor signings imo. Plus he's also brought us Bishop, Hewitt, Oates and Hawkins who have been good signings also.

This is also not me saying Clough can do no wrong, he has but at the minute I'm loving being a stags fan for the first time in quite a few years. Excited to see who we can bring in and it's going to be an exciting second half of the season
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 9258
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:47 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:14 pm

Ollie Sarkic could be a decent player. Nobody knows until he gets himself fit.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11456
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 pm

That’s the problem. He has signed too many players who are not fit.

No doubt they have ability, but they have to be able to play.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby broomo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:20 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Selective memory again Broomo.

Quinn and o’toole - fantastic

Sarkic - waste of money

Nartey - so far waste Of money (although I hope he can come good).

I like your contribution to the board but you lack objectivity when it comes to Clough’s weaknesses


What do you want me to be objective about here?

Sarkic got injured 2 or 3 sub appearances in and went back to Blackpool, did we keep paying him do you know? I also said earlier he was a signing that didn't work out.

Nartey got injured 2 or 3 appearances in and went back to Burnley, were we paying for him while he was out do you know?

So 2 excellent, one poor (but a little unlucky) and one more poor but may still come good.

You want me to say that's a weakness? Hand on heart I can't.

Looking at his transfer business on the whole, you want me to say that's a weakness? I can't.

Failing to sign any one of the 3 first choice centre halfs last window, a weakness?

I know enough about transfers to know sometimes it comes down to the player or the other club saying no.

You need to decide whether you see that as a Nigel weakness or not. I don't.
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:25 pm



User avatar
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 7793
Joined: Wed May 21, 2014 9:32 am

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:26 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:That’s the problem. He has signed too many players who are not fit.

No doubt they have ability, but they have to be able to play.


We've only signed Forrester who was injured at the time he signed, how is that "too many players"?
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8399
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:29 pm

Sarkic wasn't fit.
User avatar
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Location: Barnet, London

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:32 pm

Forrester was injured.

Nartey hadn’t played a first team match in over a year and had no match fitness, which is highly likely to have contributed to his poor performances and injury.

Sarkic had recently come off of a long term injury and had played very few games in the 6 months before he came to us. Just like Nartey, he wasn’t match fit, played poorly and got injured.

All of these players were last minute desperation signings because for whatever reason, we failed with our targets and left the squad weak.

This seems to be a weakness for Clough. He has failed to land his targets and left us short.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:36 pm

broomo wrote:What do you want me to be objective about here?


You have made two posts today about Clough signing good players, but failed on them both to highlight the poor signings.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby broomo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:47 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Forrester was injured.

Nartey hadn’t played a first team match in over a year and had no match fitness, which is highly likely to have contributed to his poor performances and injury.

Sarkic had recently come off of a long term injury and had played very few games in the 6 months before he came to us. Just like Nartey, he wasn’t match fit, played poorly and got injured.

All of these players were last minute desperation signings because for whatever reason, we failed with our targets and left the squad weak.

This seems to be a weakness for Clough. He has failed to land his targets and left us short.


O'Toole hadn't played a first team game since May.
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Rob » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:50 pm

I don't know why you bother broomo. When you loan players from higher league clubs it is almost always to give them first team football. That's what we did with Sarkic, Nartey, Stirk, Bishop and almost all loan players we've ever signed.
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 8399
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:33 am

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:55 pm

What I can't understand about Kieran Wallace is how he ended up at Matlock Town in the Northern Premier League after being at Sheff Utd in League 1 although he only made 9(6) league starts. He must have a rubbish agent.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11456
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:59 pm

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:What I can't understand about Kieran Wallace is how he ended up at Matlock Town in the Northern Premier League after being at Sheff Utd in League 1 although he only made 9(6) league starts. He must have a rubbish agent.


He hadn't played many games for Lincoln or Fleetwood, maybe he felt he'd have a better chance at game time?
User avatar
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Location: Barnet, London

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:00 pm

He signed in October and had a pre-season trying to win a contract. Technically he missed 2 months of football.

Not quite the layoff which Nartey had and he hadn’t had the injury that Sarkic had.

Let’s both be fair though. He was a desperation signing, but he has come good.

Clough was interviewed a few weeks before we signed him saying that there was no-one in the free agency market who could improve us.

Don’t think I’m being anti-Clough.

I think he’s done a brilliant job to turn us around. I also think some poor transfer business is the main reason why he had to turn us around in the first place.

If we are to succeed this year, we need to pick up a few players who can contribute immediately and he doesn’t have a a good track record of doing that for us.

Under Flitcroft we lost Hayden White who was a key player, but we never had a proper replacement. I would go as far to say that that was the biggest factor in us not going up.

I would prefer history not to repeat itself.
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby broomo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:14 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:He signed in October and had a pre-season trying to win a contract. Technically he missed 2 months of football.

Not quite the layoff which Nartey had and he hadn’t had the injury that Sarkic had.

Let’s both be fair though. He was a desperation signing, but he has come good.

Clough was interviewed a few weeks before we signed him saying that there was no-one in the free agency market who could improve us.

Don’t think I’m being anti-Clough.

I think he’s done a brilliant job to turn us around. I also think some poor transfer business is the main reason why he had to turn us around in the first place.

If we are to succeed this year, we need to pick up a few players who can contribute immediately and he doesn’t have a a good track record of doing that for us.

Under Flitcroft we lost Hayden White who was a key player, but we never had a proper replacement. I would go as far to say that that was the biggest factor in us not going up.

I would prefer history not to repeat itself.


Eh?

Do Quinn, Bishop, O'Toole, Hawkins, Hewitt, Stirk, Oates and even Johnson not count then?

7 new first team (semi) regulars in 15 months.
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby kevin kents tasce » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:26 pm

Did you consider what I have written or did you read it with the sole intent to leap to defend something.

I have never once criticised those signing and my whole point is about wanting us to avoid signing players who are not fit - Wallace included. I think if we end up panic signing unfit players, then we will mis out on promotion.

I base this on recent experience. I’m usually against Belly jumping on you for only recently supporting us, but you clearly can’t pick up the context of the Hayden White reference.

Just to counter you slightly. I would argue that Stirk, Hewitt and Oates all took time to come good, so didn’t improve us immediately.

Additionally Hawkins has been great. Especially playing in a different position than intended after we were left short due to two of the centre backs we signed not being fit (which was the major contributor to our horrendous form earlier this season).
Everything Is Borrowed
User avatar
kevin kents tasce
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby broomo » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:40 pm

kevin kents tasce wrote:Did you consider what I have written or did you read it with the sole intent to leap to defend something.

I have never once criticised those signing and my whole point is about wanting us to avoid signing players who are not fit - Wallace included. I think if we end up panic signing unfit players, then we will mis out on promotion.

I base this on recent experience. I’m usually against Belly jumping on you for only recently supporting us, but you clearly can’t pick up the context of the Hayden White reference.

Just to counter you slightly. I would argue that Stirk, Hewitt and Oates all took time to come good, so didn’t improve us immediately.

Additionally Hawkins has been great. Especially playing in a different position than intended after we were left short due to two of the centre backs we signed not being fit (which was the major contributor to our horrendous form earlier this season).


No I read it all and considered it. I don't get your point on O'Toole (It was the 23rd of October he signed so 2.5 months into the season) v Nartey or Sarkic either but let it slide to concentrate on the track record comment which just baffles me.

We're not going to agree so perhaps lets just see what the window brings, in and out.

On Wallace, if he comes he won't be a panic signing, he'll come in knowing he's back up to Macca and I'm not sure we could get too many better than him when it's clear any left back is going to be playing second fiddle.

**Edited as I've just checked and it was actually March 13th JJ played his last league game before joining.

Sarkic made 4 appearances for Blackpool in the month before joining us. So much less of a layoff.
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:51 pm

Offer me a centre half or a striker and I'll take the striker.

That was a pearler of a quote. Paraphrased, but the gist of it.

We are doing well however keeping 4 clean sheets in 23 league games. This record is the joint 3rd worst in the league. Tranmere have 13 in 24 games and FGR have 11 in 23 games.

We need to shore up at the back a bit better. We are still conceding goals. You could argue our firepower up front took a while to get going, hence the poor run. However if we are prone to conceding (we've conceded in 83% of our league games so far) so for the next 23 games we need to score 42.09 goals, if you factor in the 82% we concede in meaning 18% we would only need 1 goal, as a minimum. Where exactly are these goals coming from? We've scored 30 goals at the half way point, so an extra 12 goals need to be found on top of tmwhat we've produced so far. Remember this is a minimum based on winning 1-0 or 2-1 based on clean sheets so far. We are currently averagin cong ceding 2 goals a game in the last 4. That form requires even more goals to come out on top. Over the season we concede 1.3 goals a game so on a third of the games left we'd need to find 3 goals,

I appreciate that 3 points is all that matters. I, like all stags fans, would take winning 2-1 or 3-2 etc for the rest of the season. It not likely.

Shore up the defence then its less goals required for the win. It then increases your chances of winning. In my opinion, the best way to do that is sign out and out centre halves. They will still concede goals. Every team in the country concedes goals

We have too may "utility players" for that position. Hawkins has done a good job but we need him up front, Hewitt was hit and miss but we need him at right back right now. Perch was good but I don't need to explain that one. JJ has been very good but he's experienced and played a blinder in midfield, which is overcrowded for me anyway.

As for actual centre halves (ie their "primaryc position) we have: Forrester, we took a gamble and it didn't pay off. No matter how you dress it up. Nartey, Burnley couldn't wait to send the loan forms through, whether this is because of how late on deadline day it was or they wanted to get rid is unknown. Rawson, been quite dependable and is unfortunate to be on the bench. In my opinion he's on the bench because Clough doesn't like to change a winning side.

As for Kieran Wallace, I cant say either way until I've seen him play live. However, I have signed him on football manager before and he absolutely bossed the midfield and was ever present in my assault on league 2. That however is only a game.

Also with regards to minutes for the lad I think he'd get quite a few. Macca has been struggling with his ankle and been subbed fairly early recently. Could be reading too much into it but there does seem to be a pattern emerging that he seems to come off walking a little gingerly.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12028
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby Cockney Stag » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:55 pm

As far as centre backs go, I'd like one with a hint of pace. Not asking for the world but, effective as they have been O'Toole and Hawkins, I've seen slower turning milk.
User avatar
Cockney Stag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager
 
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:44 pm
Location: Barnet, London

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby broomo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:10 am

gazza1988 wrote:Offer me a centre half or a striker and I'll take the striker.

That was a pearler of a quote. Paraphrased, but the gist of it.

We are doing well however keeping 4 clean sheets in 23 league games. This record is the joint 3rd worst in the league. Tranmere have 13 in 24 games and FGR have 11 in 23 games.

We need to shore up at the back a bit better. We are still conceding goals. You could argue our firepower up front took a while to get going, hence the poor run. However if we are prone to conceding (we've conceded in 83% of our league games so far) so for the next 23 games we need to score 42.09 goals, if you factor in the 82% we concede in meaning 18% we would only need 1 goal, as a minimum. Where exactly are these goals coming from? We've scored 30 goals at the half way point, so an extra 12 goals need to be found on top of tmwhat we've produced so far. Remember this is a minimum based on winning 1-0 or 2-1 based on clean sheets so far. We are currently averagin cong ceding 2 goals a game in the last 4. That form requires even more goals to come out on top. Over the season we concede 1.3 goals a game so on a third of the games left we'd need to find 3 goals,

I appreciate that 3 points is all that matters. I, like all stags fans, would take winning 2-1 or 3-2 etc for the rest of the season. It not likely.

Shore up the defence then its less goals required for the win. It then increases your chances of winning. In my opinion, the best way to do that is sign out and out centre halves. They will still concede goals. Every team in the country concedes goals

We have too may "utility players" for that position. Hawkins has done a good job but we need him up front, Hewitt was hit and miss but we need him at right back right now. Perch was good but I don't need to explain that one. JJ has been very good but he's experienced and played a blinder in midfield, which is overcrowded for me anyway.

As for actual centre halves (ie their "primaryc position) we have: Forrester, we took a gamble and it didn't pay off. No matter how you dress it up. Nartey, Burnley couldn't wait to send the loan forms through, whether this is because of how late on deadline day it was or they wanted to get rid is unknown. Rawson, been quite dependable and is unfortunate to be on the bench. In my opinion he's on the bench because Clough doesn't like to change a winning side.

As for Kieran Wallace, I cant say either way until I've seen him play live. However, I have signed him on football manager before and he absolutely bossed the midfield and was ever present in my assault on league 2. That however is only a game.

Also with regards to minutes for the lad I think he'd get quite a few. Macca has been struggling with his ankle and been subbed fairly early recently. Could be reading too much into it but there does seem to be a pattern emerging that he seems to come off walking a little gingerly.


Does your maths of goals per game needed see us winning all 23 games?
broomo
First Team
First Team
 
Posts: 834
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:55 pm

Re: Kieran Wallace

Postby gazza1988 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:59 am

No. Just based off our trend this season of conceding at least a goal every game 82% of the time. My maths is if we concede at the same rate, what we would need to come out victorious. Basically it doesn't include 3-2 or 3-1 victories, where we would need even more goals.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
User avatar
gazza1988
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 12028
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Beeston, Nottingham

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chrisuknottm, G B, Gruff, Hitchcocks size 10s, kieranbenton, Paulstag, Ralphy, Sandy Pate Best Stag, The Source and 40 guests