{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

FAC3: Middlesbrough at home, 12.15 kick-off

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Who do we want next?

Postby steiner » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 am

No interest in Spireites whatsoever.. Forest away would be a big payday.. On TV because of the Cloughie connection.. And the free ride over there on the train is a bonus!
steiner
First Team
First Team

Postby adamstag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:11 pm

Just someone desirable.

the last 2 times, cardiff and cheltenham away. really?
Last edited by adamstag on Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby yaxhamstag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 12:31 pm

If we’re away, we’re not on TV. Full stop. Only way we get TV money is if we are at home against a big club.

I reckon we’ll get Derby at home….and no, it won’t be on TV.
A careful man tries to dodge the bullets, while a happy man takes a walk
yaxhamstag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Stag95 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:01 pm

yaxhamstag wrote:If we’re away, we’re not on TV. Full stop. Only way we get TV money is if we are at home against a big club.

I reckon we’ll get Derby at home….and no, it won’t be on TV.

We’ll get a lot more money by playing away at a big side - the away teams get 50% of ticket revenue in the FA Cup.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby PEAR CIDER » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:27 pm

id take diershites at home. Give them a good pasting infront of a sell out home crowd

Get extra £££ for getting through to round 4, remove some of the guff that we dont want, ie Cardiff

Round 4, better odds of a cracking big away tie.

We have seen Emly (emley?? something like that) get through and beat west ham if i recall.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager

Postby Rustystag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:52 pm

My lad wants spurs or Leicester away

I want spurs or Leeds away

Probably end up with Plymouth or Ipswich away Lol
Rustystag
Youth Team
Youth Team

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:02 pm

How about Blackpool away for a very cold but boozie New Year weekend at the seaside?

I remember going there and winning in the late 60’s when their captain was known as The Mighty Quinn (for younger readers it was a popular song by Manfred Mann. Could be a good omen, and rather appropriate for a cold weekend as the song subject (not the captain) was an Eskimo.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby NEStag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:43 pm

I looked it up and I think it was January 1970 Sandy. 2 0 to the Stags.
It says Dai Jones scored two, and we went on to play Leeds in the fifth round who were then the (old) Division One Champions and top of the League, losing 2 0 before a crowd of 48,093, including 10,000 Stags' fans.
NEStag
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:48 pm

MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:00 pm

NEStag wrote:I looked it up and I think it was January 1970 Sandy. 2 0 to the Stags.
It says Dai Jones scored two, and we went on to play Leeds in the fifth round who were then the (old) Division One Champions and top of the League, losing 2 0 before a crowd of 48,093, including 10,000 Stags' fans.

Yes that’s the one. I went to both and felt aggrieved against Leeds when we had a goal unjustly ruled out. Dudley Robert’s was adjudged to have fouled a defender who was at least 6 feet away when winning a header to set up a goal. The referee later said he didn’t think anyone could jump that high without climbing on someone’s back. We would have been one up and who knows what could have happened if we had a lead to hold onto.

We were a proper cup side in those days and afraid of no one. Great days that it would be very welcome to revive.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:26 pm

How anyone can want any team lower than the premier league teams is beyond me, especially that shower of raspberry across the M1. The whole reason round two is exciting is the possibility of then playing Man United, Liverpool, Man City etc. Personally I would love a trip to either Old Trafford or Anfield. If it’s not a top flight team I’d like Forest or Derby at home.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:39 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:How anyone can want any team lower than the premier league teams is beyond me, especially that shower of raspberry across the M1. The whole reason round two is exciting is the possibility of then playing Man United, Liverpool, Man City etc. Personally I would love a trip to either Old Trafford or Anfield. If it’s not a top flight team I’d like Forest or Derby at home.

Because if you beat a lower team you progress and get more money. The big boys will still be there in later rounds and if you get through you will eventually get a go at glory.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:42 pm

Which channel is the cup draw on?
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:43 pm

yorkstag wrote:Which channel is the cup draw on?

ITV 4
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:43 pm

Thanks mate
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby STAGS FOR LIFE » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm

On now , draw 15 minutes away ;)
STAGS FOR LIFE
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:How anyone can want any team lower than the premier league teams is beyond me, especially that shower of raspberry across the M1. The whole reason round two is exciting is the possibility of then playing Man United, Liverpool, Man City etc. Personally I would love a trip to either Old Trafford or Anfield. If it’s not a top flight team I’d like Forest or Derby at home.

This, this, this. People wanting teams like Derby/ Forest, live a little will you? Boring
Stag95
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:53 pm

Absolutely, imagine drawing a crap team and losing in round 3? We got Cheltenham away in round 3 last season and were knocked out and still some want a smaller club! Mad.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:54 pm

Sandy Pate Best Stag wrote:

Because if you beat a lower team you progress and get more money. The big boys will still be there in later rounds and if you get through you will eventually get a go at glory.

Now I like some of that thinking Sandy, but I’d rather take the big day asap otherwise it might not happen.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Rob wrote:

Absolutely, imagine drawing a crap team and losing in round 3? We got Cheltenham away in round 3 last season and were knocked out and still some want a smaller club! Mad.

Exactly Rob!!!
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 pm

Stag95 wrote:

This, this, this. People wanting teams like Derby/ Forest, live a little will you? Boring

Indeed mate.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby cassellswasmagic » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:56 pm

STAGS FOR LIFE wrote:On now , draw 15 minutes away ;)

Love the third round draw. Nervous now.
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:59 pm

On BBC website for anybody in church praying.

:coys:
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:04 pm

I want the lowest ranked team possible at home.

Imagine getting to the 4th round?

Proper Stags fans will know the last time that happened was in 07/08 and I'd love Nige to match or even beat that.

Give us a lower ranked decent footballing side like Kidderminster and let us be their big day out.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Stag95 » Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:07 pm

raspberry sake Spirites raspberry getting a draw like that.
Stag95
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum