{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Stags unlikely to make changes in the January window

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:42 pm

I got the feeling he was going to be critical of the quality on the bench but then stopped when he realised most of it was kids.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:02 pm

Hewitt, Rawson, O"Toole, Forrester, Nartey 5 central defenders, Quinn, Clark, Charsley, Lapslie, Maris, Ward, Stirk, Law, 8 midfielders, Oates, Johnson, Sinclaire, Gale, Caine, Hawkins, Bowery 7 strikers not a lot of wiggle room
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:58 pm

bear 73 wrote:Hewitt(RB), Rawson, O"Toole(CM), Forrester, Nartey 5 central defenders, Quinn, Clark, Charsley, Lapslie, Maris, Ward, Stirk, Law, 8 midfielders, Oates, Johnson, Sinclaire, Gale, Caine, Hawkins, Bowery 7 strikers not a lot of wiggle room

3 CB by my count, with 2 backup options. I mean if we're talking backup options who has played there in some capacity in 12 months then add Cooper, McLaughlin, Ward, James Clarke, Bowery and Hawkins to the list so we're golden everyone we've 11 centre backs. Only 3 of the lot though are centre backs in their strongest position. All the best teams weaken other areas of their squad to cover.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:25 pm

bear 73 wrote:Hewitt, Rawson, O"Toole, Forrester, Nartey 5 central defenders, Quinn, Clark, Charsley, Lapslie, Maris, Ward, Stirk, Law, 8 midfielders, Oates, Johnson, Sinclaire, Gale, Caine, Hawkins, Bowery 7 strikers not a lot of wiggle room

To get the debate going....

Based on performances to date this season and likelihood of making an impact in or playing well in promotion chasing first team

Transfer/Agree Early Termination/Loan: Marek Stech, Rollin Menayese, Corey O'Keeffe, Jordan Bowery, Harry Charsley, Kellan Gordon?
Send Out On Loan (need first team games): Ryan Burke, Jayden Charles, Keaton Ward, Jason Law, Nathan Caine
Send Back To Parent Club: Richard Nartey, George Shelvey

Sign
No 2 Goalkeeper (Will need someone as No 1 when Nathan Bishop returns to Man Utd)
Top Quality Centre Half x 2 (permanent signings)
Left Back as back up for Stephen McLaughlin or to allow him to move further forward if required
Playmaker as competition and back up for George Maris/Stephen Quinn
Right Midfield with a bit of pace to provide more threat down the right
Big Target Man to replace Jordan Bowery and back up for Oli Hawkins

Back up right back may be required if Kellan Gordon went out the door.

We may have to wait until the summer to get some of these
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:33 am

Think some of the players you are releasing could be the answer to players needed, Okeefe, Mayenese, Gordon, Law, Ward.
With Otoole and maybe Forrester you can see why Clough said he's happy with the squad.
Regarding Bowery, he's a good player when not asked to be the main striker.
chip63
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:15 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:
bear 73 wrote:Hewitt, Rawson, O"Toole, Forrester, Nartey 5 central defenders, Quinn, Clark, Charsley, Lapslie, Maris, Ward, Stirk, Law, 8 midfielders, Oates, Johnson, Sinclaire, Gale, Caine, Hawkins, Bowery 7 strikers not a lot of wiggle room

Based on performances to date this season and likelihood of making an impact in or playing well in promotion chasing first team

Transfer/Agree Early Termination/Loan: Marek Stech, Rollin Menayese, Corey O'Keeffe, Jordan Bowery, Harry Charsley, Kellan Gordon?
Send Out On Loan (need first team games): Ryan Burke, Jayden Charles, Keaton Ward, Jason Law, Nathan Caine

Sign
No 2 Goalkeeper (Will need someone as No 1 when Nathan Bishop returns to Man Utd)
Left Back as back up for Stephen McLaughlin or to allow him to move further forward if required

Would keep Charsley.
Out on loan would keep Ward
Parent club would keep Nartey.

All the permanent signing look good i think its a good call, Gordon can go.
This would take the next two windows, to allow contracts to run out and make money available taking the pandemic into account
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:14 pm

Transfer/Agree Early Termination/Loan: Marek Stech, Rollin Menayese, Corey O'Keeffe, Jordan Bowery, Harry Charsley, Kellan Gordon?Stech, Menayese and O'Keefe all make both footballing and financial sense as they will never play for us under Clough. I would keep Bowery until the end of his contract but look to move Charsley on. From a financial point of view, we should get Gordon fully fit before trying to offload him.
Send Out On Loan (need first team games): Ryan Burke, Jayden Charles, Keaton Ward, Jason Law, Nathan Caine I would keep Ward around the first team squad. By sending Caine out are you moving Gale above him in the pecking order and therefore hoping for him to around the match squad?
Send Back To Parent Club: Richard Nartey, George Shelvey Nartey only we get the signings you talk about. Shelvey appears to be going backwards with us

Sign

These signings neither seem to fit in with Clough's dislike of the January window and Sharpe's desire to keep spending at a sustainable level. Potentially keep Bowery if Gale is considered good enough for the bench. Promote Keaton Ward into the squad as the understudy for Maris?
The priority for me is centre halves and pace on the right unless Tyrese can start showing some form
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:43 pm

I think James Gale has already moved above Nathan Caine in Nigel Clough's pecking order Bill.

Keaton Ward and Jason Law need to be looking at Alistair Smith and if they get a chance to go out on loan to the National League then they should be banging on Nigel's door. They are not going to improve playing U23 football. Nigel Clough said at the start of the season that they both need to go out on loan.

Nigel Clough seems to have his pecking order of players and he adjusts the team to suit that pecking order. Keaton is not going to get played because he's well down Nigel Clough's pecking order. If Maris is injured then Ryan Stirk, John-Joe O'Toole or even Stephen McLaughlin will be moved into centre midfield. The key question as well is whether the younger players are currently good enough to be playing in a League 2 side going for promotion. Nigel clearly thinks they are not at the moment so they might as well go out on loan to get valuable first team experience.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby arsene wengers coat » Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:45 pm

Sign

I'd say we need a midfielder to unlock the door. Laps was that man but has not hit the heights this season. Would also say we need another striker who can actually score goals.
You've got to go there and come back, to know where you've been.
arsene wengers coat
Manager
Manager

Postby Spiritater » Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:56 pm

chip63 wrote:Think some of the players you are releasing could be the answer to players needed, Okeefe, Mayenese, Gordon, Law, Ward.
With Otoole and maybe Forrester you can see why Clough said he's happy with the squad.
Regarding Bowery, he's a good player when not asked to be the main striker.

He's never been 'good' for us. He's been ok at times possibly but 'good' requires consistency which he hasn't got imo
Theirs not to reason why
Theirs but to do and die
Into the valley of Death
Rode the Six Hundred
Spiritater
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:55 am

One thing we certainly lack is a player who can drive at the opposition with the ball at his feet.

Someone who can pick up the ball, get us 30 yards up the pitch and have defenders backing off.

I harp on a lot about Burton players but there he had Scott Fraser and towards the end Jamie Murphy who were both sensational running with the ball.

I don't care if it's central or out wide but we don't have anyone like that at the moment. The closest fit is probably Oates?
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:04 am

broomo wrote:One thing we certainly lack is a player who can drive at the opposition with the ball at his feet.

Someone who can pick up the ball, get us 30 yards up the pitch and have defenders backing off.

I harp on a lot about Burton players but there he had Scott Fraser and towards the end Jamie Murphy who were both sensational running with the ball.

I don't care if it's central or out wide but we don't have anyone like that at the moment. The closest fit is probably Oates?

when on song i would argue Ollie Clark is that player, however ever since CJ buzzed off to the Seasiders we have badly lacked pace, it has been said i bang on about it every couple of months lol
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Previous

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum