{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Signing out of contract players

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: SHARPE WORK SOME MAGIC

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:53 pm

marksay wrote:It’s all hands to the pump . He is the CEO dictate the scouts to find a solid CB or is he to busy with the horses

100% no to this.
I do not want the CEO to be dictating which positions to replaced or add to. He is the man whose job it is to ensure that the manager gets who and want he needs.

How much time does he spend with his horses, Marksay or was it just a cheap jibe based on his Twitter page.
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 pm

Isn't Sharpe the ceo now and not director of football?

So basically the Radfords tell him what he can spend, he works with the recruitment and management team to land their targets.

Clough mentioned that he looks for value for money. Some players could have priced themselves out of a move if he feels they aren't worth what they are asking.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:31 pm

I just think he seems to be absent without leave

As for landing targets failed on that score so far I’m afraid
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby yorkshire stag » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 pm

marksay wrote:I just think he seems to be absent without leave

the proof of the pie is in the eating, so therefore you have to agree.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:55 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:

Oh come on - you said you were going to be positive a week ago.
So are you saying our CEO is, absent without leave?

This is like reading the transcript of two men shouting at pigeons in the park.

So are you two saying he is spending too much time concentrating on his horses, is absent without leave and that it is his job to tell the manager of the club which position to replace?

I would love to hear you argue those points cogently with evidence, because they smell a bit like what comes out of the rear end of a bull
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:01 pm

if you want to criticise the recruitment, then just to clarify, the selection of players is down to:
the manager (Nigel Clough)
the head of recruitment (Simon Clough)
assistant and head coach (Gary Crosby and Andy Garner)
analyst (Matt Ash)

David Sharpe doesn't select players to recruit. He organises the contracts for players that the above people want to sign, within the budget, negotiating with the agent as necessary, on behalf of John and Carolyn, as CEO.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby gazza1988 » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:12 pm

Clough said offer him a defender or a striker and he will take the striker.

It's the manager's call on whether signings are made. In the deadline day video Sharpe calls Clough and asks what they should do. If Sharpe was in charge of everything why would he call Clough?

Sharpe is there to make sure we stay in budget, that's all.
post meanings:
I know what I'm doing
Just guessing
You're an idiot and I'm poking you with a stick
gazza1988
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:51 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

So are you two saying he is spending too much time concentrating on his horses, is absent without leave and that it is his job to tell the manager of the club which position to replace?

I would love to hear you argue those points cogently with evidence, because they smell a bit like what comes out of the rear end of a bull

the failing to land targets bit, that’s the bit i’m referring too, how many have we “ missed out “ on ?

i want to know he’s bleeding Amber & Blue to get these deals over the line, i don’t give a rats bum about his horse racing or whatever, although bizarrely you are right i bloody hate pigeons
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby part time pete » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:06 am

The only reason we miss out on targets is that we haven’t thrown enough money at them.
Those accustomed to privilege may feel that equality is oppression.
part time pete
Prediction League Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 am

part time pete wrote:The only reason we miss out on targets is that we haven’t thrown enough money at them.

The damned Sharpe imposing fiscal common sense on our club, burn him at the stake :lol:
Last edited by georgefostersbeard on Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Beano » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:34 am

Throwing money at players over the last 5 seasons has achieved bugger all, I’d sooner be patient than be Derby.
Beano
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:35 am

part time pete wrote:The only reason we miss out on targets is that we haven’t thrown enough money at them.

thing is Pete, JR has never been known for being too tight in the transfer market, hey hoo we move on
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:08 am

The wider debate is that well run clubs now seem to take recruitment out of the managers hands to some degree. They have recruitment staff and a DOF or sporting director who oversees it, so that the strategy and long term aims are not chopped and change every time a new manager comes in, leading to overhauls on the squad every 18 months.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:50 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

thing is Pete, JR has never been known for being too tight in the transfer market, hey hoo we move on

And look where it has got us. We need the club to be run on a sustainable model
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Marky Mark » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:41 am

This thread should have its subject changed to 'tell me you dont understand how a football club works without telling me you dont understand how a football club works'
"Football is a game of opinions, and very little knowledge"
Marky Mark
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:43 am

yorkshire stag wrote:

that we do however without decent players in we go nowhere……..maybe with a good manager & quality signings we might having a winning combination, however basement bargains don’t seem to be working out to well at the moment do they ?
Last edited by yorkshire stag on Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:50 am

They were for the first three games and then we had four bad games.
I would say that the bargain basement players in the midfield and up front appear to be good signings and will be fine when they settle in. The two keepers seem like great signings.
Johnson, Hawkins and Stirk have already won me over, Oates still needs some time and we know the issues at the back.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby bobbystagsfan » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:03 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

that we do however without decent players in we go nowhere……..maybe with a good manager & quality signings we might having a winning combination, however basement bargains don’t seem to be working out to week at the moment do they ?

It's not sustainable though, the spending levels we had during Evans and Flitcroft and even Dempster could not keep happening with no success.

I believe we've got a good manager now compared to the last two. Just need some time and patience to be challenging.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:08 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

that we do however without decent players in we go nowhere……..maybe with a good manager & quality signings we might having a winning combination, however basement bargains don’t seem to be working out to week at the moment do they ?

It's not sustainable though, the spending levels we had during Evans and Flitcroft and even Dempster could not keep happening with no success.

I believe we've got a good manager now compared to the last two. Just need some time and patience to be challenging.

i think most agree in young Cloughie we have a good potential long term manager, however the defender signings have been poor to date & that’s what he is being judged against at the moment
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby bear 73 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:23 pm

MTFCMusings wrote:The wider debate is that well run clubs now seem to take recruitment out of the managers hands to some degree. They have recruitment staff and a DOF or sporting director who oversees it, so that the strategy and long term aims are not chopped and change every time a new manager comes in, leading to overhauls on the squad every 18 months.

So we need someone who dictates the long term aims of the club, that i feel is the owner, who chooses a manager to achieve the objectives set out.
If we overall the squad every 18 months, then the system is failing,
We have a C-E-O who controls the budget for the financial year, and a manager who makes it work to improve the squad.
And a owner who makes the final decision.
Unless we have a distinct failure in our development, then as a unit we move forward.
Head Coach is another word for scapegoat, someone who fails for other peoples mistakes, and 18 months is normally his life span.
locally Derby and Forest are good examples spending millions to fail, both had Head Coaches, while others controlled transfers and spending
bear 73
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:23 pm

Let's hope James Perch has added something to the defensive coaching approach.
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby marksay » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:01 pm

A superb point yesterday
Now we have KG and STIRK injured for two or three weeks , possibly Maris and now another red card three game suspension

When I started this thread it wasn’t as dire as the squad looks now
marksay
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby georgefostersbeard » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:59 pm

Isn't it fantastic that we have such strength in depth that we are kit playing undern18s on the bench like Lincoln had to a few weeks ago? All of our bench are young but they are first team squad members.
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:20 pm

yorkshire stag wrote:
yorkshire stag wrote:

the failing to land targets bit, that’s the bit i’m referring too, how many have we “ missed out “ on ?

i want to know he’s bleeding Amber & Blue to get these deals over the line, i don’t give a rats bum about his horse racing or whatever, although bizarrely you are right i bloody hate pigeons
One of the first things Sharpe did was get the stadium cleaned up. I do think he has pride in our club. He and NC work well together. Regarding signings Naylor it is said he would have been our highest paid player. So the club did every thing to get his signature. Not anyone's fault at the club that he didn't sign. I think we are lucky to have Sharpe.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby chip63 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:08 pm

Sharpe was also instrumental in the pitch improvements.
chip63
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum