{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Newport scorefred sponsored by 1 down 7 to go

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Newport scorefred sponsored by 1 down 7 to go

Postby adamstag » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:10 pm

bobbystagsfan wrote:
georgefostersbeard wrote:I wonder whether the high quality of the pitch (something we didn't often say about Newport!) will help us this weekend

How the tables turn... Newport have got the good pitch and we've got a swamp :D

About to say, their pitch is pretty decent now - ours looks like several hundred horses have been grazing on it :D

A point away here wouldn't be the end of the world, before 2 home games.
adamstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:11 pm

It will be interesting what team we go with, considering we are playing MK Dons just a few days later we may prioritise players for that game. Can see him playing Nichols and saving Swan for MK, he will probably go with 2 entirely different pairings on the left and right of the diamond as well to make sure we don’t have tired legs in the middle. I predict he will go with Clarke and Boateng against Newport and Quinn and Maris against MK.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:59 pm

MTFC Man wrote:It will be interesting what team we go with, considering we are playing MK Dons just a few days later we may prioritise players for that game. Can see him playing Nichols and saving Swan for MK, he will probably go with 2 entirely different pairings on the left and right of the diamond as well to make sure we don’t have tired legs in the middle. I predict he will go with Clarke and Boateng against Newport and Quinn and Maris against MK.
Three points are three points no matter what game you get them in. He needs to play his strongest team. One game at a time.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Martin Shaw » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:15 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
MTFC Man wrote:It will be interesting what team we go with, considering we are playing MK Dons just a few days later we may prioritise players for that game. Can see him playing Nichols and saving Swan for MK, he will probably go with 2 entirely different pairings on the left and right of the diamond as well to make sure we don’t have tired legs in the middle. I predict he will go with Clarke and Boateng against Newport and Quinn and Maris against MK.
Three points are three points no matter what game you get them in. He needs to play his strongest team. One game at a time.

Clough has repeatedly said that he can play any of his outfield players and it doesn't weaken the side, ie that is still his strongest team. I think it's fair to say that probably doesn't apply to one or two like Flint and Reed etc who do start just about every game.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Captain Cunno » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:38 pm

I'd say Pym and Flint are the only ones 100% guaranteed to play every game.... and rightly so.
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:40 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:I'd say Pym and Flint are the only ones 100% guaranteed to play every game.... and rightly so.

Would add Reed to that, he didn’t start against Stockport but think that was on the back of an injury, other than that I think he’s started every league game he’s been available for.
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby stagmanrob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:35 pm

I think Clarke will be in against Newport for his work rate, as it will be expected to be more of a fight there than a football match.

MK Dons will be more possession based, whereas Newport are likely to be more direct under clueless Coughlan.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:38 pm

Reedy had a dip for about half a dozen games but played himself through it and has come out of it looking back to his best.

When he plays well, we play well. Simple as that.
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:43 pm

Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Clough has repeatedly said that he can play any of his outfield players and it doesn't weaken the side, ie that is still his strongest team. I think it's fair to say that probably doesn't apply to one or two like Flint and Reed etc who do start just about every game.
I think you could add Bowery, Akins, Brunt, Cargill and possibly Quinn to that list Martin.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Rob » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:18 pm

MTFC Man wrote:
Captain Cunno wrote:I'd say Pym and Flint are the only ones 100% guaranteed to play every game.... and rightly so.

Would add Reed to that, he didn’t start against Stockport but think that was on the back of an injury, other than that I think he’s started every league game he’s been available for.

Surprisingly I agree with Cunno, I think Brunt can do the DM role very well so would agree that the only two 100% guaranteed to start are Flint and Pym. That's a good thing because it keeps everyone sharp and it also emphasises that we have 18 first team players with little between them.

I also agree with Broomo, Reed did have a dip but has been back to much more like his outstanding early season form of late. I think Clough handled him well, they clearly have a good relationship.
Rob
Manager
Manager

Postby broomo » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:33 pm

Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I think you could add Bowery, Akins, Brunt, Cargill and possibly Quinn to that list Martin.

Bowery, Akins, Cargill and Quinn have all recently been left out of the starting 11.

I can't grasp how folk still question every single starting line up when it's clear we have 17 outfield players who all deserve to start. (soon to be 18 when Hewitt is ready)
broomo
Manager
Manager

Postby vicar_jeremiah » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:51 pm

Williams has made a difference, that lad can play
vicar_jeremiah
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Dan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:13 pm

I'd be interested to see who people would choose as our 'worst' player as unlike most seasons there aren't many stand out candidates.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFC Man » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:18 pm

Rob wrote:
MTFC Man wrote:

Surprisingly I agree with Cunno, I think Brunt can do the DM role very well so would agree that the only two 100% guaranteed to start are Flint and Pym. That's a good thing because it keeps everyone sharp and it also emphasises that we have 18 first team players with little between them.

I also agree with Broomo, Reed did have a dip but has been back to much more like his outstanding early season form of late. I think Clough handled him well, they clearly have a good relationship.

Brunt is an excellent player but I don’t think he can do the same job as Reed. I think every time Brunt has played DM he has been as part of a two and I think that’s because he tends to press very aggressively, which isn’t a bad thing at all but with the loan DM in the diamond it can leave gaps whereas Reed stands off a bit more. I’m not criticising Brunt I just don’t think he suits the role. Maybe I am reading into it too much :lol:
MTFC Man
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby bobbystagsfan » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:22 pm

Dan wrote:I'd be interested to see who people would choose as our 'worst' player as unlike most seasons there aren't many stand out candidates.

It's harsh maybe, but James Gale? I'm not saying he's a bad player, he is raw still and 22 but I could see us letting him go in the summer if his contract is up.
bobbystagsfan
Manager
Manager

Postby Tess Tickle » Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:35 pm

Newport 1 Stags 2.
Tess Tickle
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby scotsstag » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:35 pm

0-3 Stags.
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:04 am

Dan wrote:I'd be interested to see who people would choose as our 'worst' player as unlike most seasons there aren't many stand out candidates.

Why would you even ask that question ?

Just asks for negative replies at a time we all need to be super positive.

Strange

(Awaits dig at something I've posted in the last 27 years in here..... :lol: )
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Jimstag » Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:31 am

broomo wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:
Martin Shaw wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Bowery, Akins, Cargill and Quinn have all recently been left out of the starting 11.

I can't grasp how folk still question every single starting line up when it's clear we have 17 outfield players who all deserve to start. (soon to be 18 when Hewitt is ready)

I still remember the reaction to boateng starting against Harrogate and we know what happened there.

Nigel see them in training and knows who has knocks and who’s clear, he gets it wrong occasionally but league position doesn’t lie we are competitive. Just need to remain so for the rest of the season.
Jimstag
Manager
Manager

Postby diablo » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:18 am

2-1 Stags
diablo
First Team
First Team

Postby Martin Shaw » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:56 am

"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin

Postby Johnny Rotten » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:27 am

For the purposes of balance, for one day only, though, and that we might have some supporters/followers/fans who are Welsh, have Welsh heritage or ancestry or are of a Welsh persuasion...

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus
@orpington_stag
London & SE Stags Lead
APFSCIL Vice Chair
Ex-Away day fancy dress/theme planner
Johnny Rotten
Manager
Manager

Postby zod » Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:30 am

chimneyboy wrote:Williams has made a difference, that lad can play

Agree, I thought he was brilliant when played.
zod
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Postby georgefostersbeard » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:13 am

Johnny Rotten wrote:For the purposes of balance, for one day only, though, and that we might have some supporters/followers/fans who are Welsh, have Welsh heritage or ancestry or are of a Welsh persuasion...

Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Hapus

Diolch JR
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager

Postby Dan » Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:16 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:

Why would you even ask that question ?

Just asks for negative replies at a time we all need to be super positive.

Strange

(Awaits dig at something I've posted in the last 27 years in here..... :lol: )

Not asking for negative replies it was just a question which I notice no one has answered, which speaks volumes.
Dan
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum