{ the forum }
 
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Lucas Akins Chant

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby ST4GS » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:26 pm

PEAR CIDER wrote:i dont think programs which were popular some time ago like soccer AM really helped the cause.

they used to interview players and ask who was the longest in the shower etc, with Dion Dublin always winning.

If it was acceptable to ask this, no wonder fans thought it was acceptable to sing what they believe to be a light hearted song.

A relevent and golden oldie tune from yesteryear that some of the relics on this board might remember.
First match : 04.01.1975 home v Cambridge Utd F.A.Cup 3rd Round 1-0 Clarke
User avatar
ST4GS
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 1513
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby PostmanPat » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:28 pm

Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Ralphy » Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:42 pm

PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.


Personally I’ve never seen him acknowledge it yet
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:18 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Martin Shaw » Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:49 pm

PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.


I don't think so.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 28724
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm
Location: West London

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Rob » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:34 pm

PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.


Who by, Mrs Goggins?
Rob
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 10424
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 am

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Joestag1 » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:35 pm

Ralphy wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.


Personally I’ve never seen him acknowledge it yet


I did on Saturday
Joestag1
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby MTFCMusings » Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:52 pm

You only have to look at Kick It Out’s reaction to United fans similarly themed chant about Lukaku a few years ago to know whether it’s acceptable or not.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 13452
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Amberheart » Mon Nov 27, 2023 9:01 pm

It’s not funny & it’s not clever
The heat is on !
User avatar
Amberheart
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3709
Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:31 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Dan » Mon Nov 27, 2023 11:15 pm

PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.


Of course you did.

Hasn't anyone noticed that whenever Lucas scores he always celebrates on the far side of the stadium at the corner flag? Not once have I ever seen him run towards the west stand to celebrate one of his goals. That should tell you enough about how he feels about it. Honestly there's some really thick people around these days who still think this is acceptable. I would be 100% behind the club banning anyone singing this song (or any other with racial undertones in it) and have even said to my son who is 15 that if I ever hear him or find out he has sung that song I will take him to the police myself. I have explained to him the blatant racism in the song and how stereotypical it is and that it's simply not ok. There's no wonder Lucas doesn't celebrate goals he scores for us. I used to do a lot of Burton Albion games & he always celebrated goals for them. Seriously pisses me off does racism.

The club should print out a leaflet and hand them out to Q block explaining that anyone who sings it will be banned, it's the only way these kids will understand what they are doing. I'll bet my life they sing it again tomorrow night.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11830
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby PostmanPat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:35 am

Dan wrote:
PostmanPat wrote:
Ralphy wrote:If those who sing the song think about it, how many times has Lucas turned and clapped or acknowledged the crowd when it is sung? Think that tells a story in itself about what he feels about the song


I’ve been told that he acknowledged the away support when the song was being sung.


Of course you did.

Hasn't anyone noticed that whenever Lucas scores he always celebrates on the far side of the stadium at the corner flag? Not once have I ever seen him run towards the west stand to celebrate one of his goals. That should tell you enough about how he feels about it. Honestly there's some really thick people around these days who still think this is acceptable. I would be 100% behind the club banning anyone singing this song (or any other with racial undertones in it) and have even said to my son who is 15 that if I ever hear him or find out he has sung that song I will take him to the police myself. I have explained to him the blatant racism in the song and how stereotypical it is and that it's simply not ok. There's no wonder Lucas doesn't celebrate goals he scores for us. I used to do a lot of Burton Albion games & he always celebrated goals for them. Seriously pisses me off does racism.

The club should print out a leaflet and hand them out to Q block explaining that anyone who sings it will be banned, it's the only way these kids will understand what they are doing. I'll bet my life they sing it again tomorrow night.


Why on earth would I lie? :lol:

So because Akins doesn’t celebrate in-front of the stags fans it means he doesn’t like the song. Such a racist set of fans we have :evil:
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby PEAR CIDER » Tue Nov 28, 2023 8:39 am

Akins wasn't celebrating in front of the fans since day 1 to be fair.
PEAR CIDER
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6060
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:04 am

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby georgefostersbeard » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:38 am

We seem to be disappearing down a rabbit hole of semantics and side issues.
One could presume that there is now a consensus of opinion that the chant is no longer appropriate
"Jobsworth authoritarian apologist" - HitchcocksShins
User avatar
georgefostersbeard
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 6121
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:39 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:It would be interesting to see someone justify the chant having read that


you've been given a tutorial in how to do it.

Just ignore it.

Then change the argument (in this case to: Akins doesn't mind it, indeed he even acknowledges the fans when it's sung).
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 28724
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm
Location: West London

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Martin Shaw » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:50 am

georgefostersbeard wrote:We seem to be disappearing down a rabbit hole of semantics and side issues.
One could presume that there is now a consensus of opinion that the chant is no longer appropriate


I see no evidence here or elsewhere that those singing it or defending it have shown any inclination to stop singing it or defending it. The overwhelming evidence of the quoted article earlier in the thread appears to have fallen on deaf ears.
"Four points clear as Lincoln are McCaffreyised", CHAD headline, April 1975
Martin Shaw
Site Admin
 
Posts: 28724
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:20 pm
Location: West London

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Dan » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:50 am

PEAR CIDER wrote:Akins wasn't celebrating in front of the fans since day 1 to be fair.


Hardly surprising with all the stick he was getting!!
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11830
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby HitchcocksShins » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:09 pm

Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Akins wasn't celebrating in front of the fans since day 1 to be fair.


Hardly surprising with all the stick he was getting!!


Hardly surprising with how poor he was
twitter.com/SatiricalStag

"Couldn't you just stick to crayoning in poorly drawn pics?"
User avatar
HitchcocksShins
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 3485
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby PostmanPat » Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:52 pm

Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Akins wasn't celebrating in front of the fans since day 1 to be fair.


Hardly surprising with all the stick he was getting!!


Only you who didn’t then, top fan :lol:
PostmanPat
Subs Bench
Subs Bench
 
Posts: 540
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Suttonian » Tue Nov 28, 2023 1:15 pm

Frankenstag wrote:No proper football fan would sing the Lucas Akins song, the sex offender song or your support is f### s###. Anyone caught singing these should be thrown out and banned. Juvenile, disrespectful crap only sung by the Stone Island/Burberry baby hooligans and their Fagin like mentors. It's a shame that we have such morons following the club, particularly at away games.


The Fagin character was considered anti-Semitic by the Jewish community so it's probably not the best analogy on this topic.

These 'morons following the club' are the same fans who have never stop singing and supporting the club over the years even when things are going pear shaped, for which they have been praised by our players and managers many times. Throwing them out and banning them because you don't like some of the songs seems a bit extreme.

Perhaps announcements by the club in social media and over the PA on match days about the song which started this thread plus a word from the stewards/police about any possible repercussions when it happens would be a better start ;)
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Frankenstag » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:08 pm

How is singing any of the 3 songs I mentioned "supporting the club"? I don't like being surrounded by morons when I watch a game, do you? I throw my trash out every week, it's a shame football clubs don't do the same.
Frankenstag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:50 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Jay » Tue Nov 28, 2023 3:30 pm

Lucas Akins as a family man and apparently all round decent human being will be as embarrassed about the song as 95% of our fanbase are.

In my opinion.
User avatar
Jay
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:51 am

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:05 am

PostmanPat wrote:
Dan wrote:
PEAR CIDER wrote:Akins wasn't celebrating in front of the fans since day 1 to be fair.


Hardly surprising with all the stick he was getting!!


Only you who didn’t then, top fan :lol:


Thanks. You should try it sometime.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11830
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Dan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 1:06 am

Suttonian wrote:
Frankenstag wrote:No proper football fan would sing the Lucas Akins song, the sex offender song or your support is f### s###. Anyone caught singing these should be thrown out and banned. Juvenile, disrespectful crap only sung by the Stone Island/Burberry baby hooligans and their Fagin like mentors. It's a shame that we have such morons following the club, particularly at away games.


The Fagin character was considered anti-Semitic by the Jewish community so it's probably not the best analogy on this topic.

These 'morons following the club' are the same fans who have never stop singing and supporting the club over the years even when things are going pear shaped, for which they have been praised by our players and managers many times. Throwing them out and banning them because you don't like some of the songs seems a bit extreme.

Perhaps announcements by the club in social media and over the PA on match days about the song which started this thread plus a word from the stewards/police about any possible repercussions when it happens would be a better start ;)


Nothing to do with whether anyone 'likes' it or not, it's against the law for a start for heavens sake. That's why they should be thrown out and banned.
Dan
Manager
Manager
 
Posts: 11830
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Tawnystag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:56 am

The club needs to take an active role in setting the tone against these chants, and general unacceptable behaviour. I’ve noticed little notes from the club sellotaped to seats appearing in our area, telling fans to stop being abusive. Yet stewards are there every game just letting it go. Proactive measures are needed, and this starts with a strong message from the club, and proper training of stewards.
Tawnystag
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:00 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby Suttonian » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:43 am

Dan wrote:
Suttonian wrote:
Frankenstag wrote:No proper football fan would sing the Lucas Akins song, the sex offender song or your support is f### s###. Anyone caught singing these should be thrown out and banned. Juvenile, disrespectful crap only sung by the Stone Island/Burberry baby hooligans and their Fagin like mentors. It's a shame that we have such morons following the club, particularly at away games.


The Fagin character was considered anti-Semitic by the Jewish community so it's probably not the best analogy on this topic.

These 'morons following the club' are the same fans who have never stop singing and supporting the club over the years even when things are going pear shaped, for which they have been praised by our players and managers many times. Throwing them out and banning them because you don't like some of the songs seems a bit extreme.

Perhaps announcements by the club in social media and over the PA on match days about the song which started this thread plus a word from the stewards/police about any possible repercussions when it happens would be a better start ;)


Nothing to do with whether anyone 'likes' it or not, it's against the law for a start for heavens sake. That's why they should be thrown out and banned.


It doesn't seem to be intended to be malicious or racist, more of a misguided attempt at an amusing song to support a much maligned player. That is why I suggested the club remind people what is considered acceptable in the last paragraph of my post.

Education doesn't end on the day you leave school, at least give people a second chance after they've been told what the rules are and had a warning . If it carries on after that then no-one can complain if they're removed. Don't you agree this is something that should have happened to you for displaying a supposed inappropriate image on your laptop at the ground rather than being frogmarched out?
Suttonian
Reserve Team
Reserve Team
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:52 pm

Re: Lucas Akins chant

Postby adsstag » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:45 pm

The club should ask Akins himself on this and put out a statement if he finds this offensive and wishes for this to be no longer sung!

I’m sure the club or manager would have said something by now if f that was the case!
adsstag
Youth Team
Youth Team
 
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:34 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Birminghamstag10, Cornwall Stag, lifestags, MTFC Man, MTFCMusings, natfromboza, Sandy Pate Best Stag, Sneag, Stoney, Sweden Stag, teg41 and 45 guests