{ the forum }

An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC

Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Discuss all things Stags and Football League Two, and share stuff using our BBCodes.
Forum rules
Please read the Posting Rules before participating. Posting on the forums is subject to adhering to these.
Also, see the Guidelines for Posting. Moderators may sometimes tidy posts which do not follow these customs.

Re: Players Released, Transfers & Loans 2023-2024

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:07 pm

Whisper it quietly, but this is why I slightly preferred the idea of Chesterfield beating County in the playoff final. I obviously dislike Chesterfield more than County, but the Spireites wouldn’t be signing the likes of McGoldrick would they! Think they’d have been nothing more than mid table next season similar to Grimsby.
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby stagmanrob » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:06 pm

McGoldrick and Lagstaff are the kind of strike partnership that will complement each other too.
Both players eho don't seem to get injured all the time also.
stagmanrob
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkshire stag » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:20 pm

Lagstaff will be off soon enough
Our time will come
yorkshire stag
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:41 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Whisper it quietly, but this is why I slightly preferred the idea of Chesterfield beating County in the playoff final. I obviously dislike Chesterfield more than County, but the Spireites wouldn’t be signing the likes of McGoldrick would they! Think they’d have been nothing more than mid table next season similar to Grimsby.
I not too sure about that, there is talk on Blob's Bored they could be signing Billy Sharpe.

McGoldrick is a top signing.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Captain Cunno » Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:41 pm

Ha ha everyone losing their poo because County have signed 1 player .......

Who would take their non league squad bar 2 players over ours....?

If they finish above us they will have gone up automatically......
These are my opinions , if you don't like them I have others...
Captain Cunno
Manager
Manager

Postby Amber Andy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:09 pm

Captain Cunno wrote:Ha ha everyone losing their poo because County have signed 1 player .......

Who would take their non league squad bar 2 players over ours....?

If they finish above us they will have gone up automatically......
Not in the slightest CC, but it is an impressive signing. I'm sure the vast majority of our fans would be impressed if we had signed him.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby Young021 » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:13 pm

Cleveland_Stag wrote:Whisper it quietly, but this is why I slightly preferred the idea of Chesterfield beating County in the playoff final. I obviously dislike Chesterfield more than County, but the Spireites wouldn’t be signing the likes of McGoldrick would they! Think they’d have been nothing more than mid table next season similar to Grimsby.

Mcgoldrick was signing for them regardless of what league they was in. They have been in talks with him since April
Young021
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby cassellswasmagic » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:17 pm

That is an amazing signing tbf and a 2 year deal. Even Wrexham fans moaning, saying they’re buying the league :lol:
cassellswasmagic
Manager
Manager

Postby Ralphy » Sat Jun 10, 2023 6:18 pm

So let’s get it straight we need to start worrying about who other teams sign now as well? :D :D
Ralphy
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby Dan » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:02 pm

cassellswasmagic wrote:That is an amazing signing tbf and a 2 year deal. Even Wrexham fans moaning, saying they’re buying the league :lol:

He’s not even the highest paid player at Notts. He joined them as he’s always wanted to finish his career there as he supports them. It’s just like Ben Foster.
Dan
Manager
Manager

Postby Cleveland_Stag » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:26 pm

Ralphy wrote:So let’s get it straight we need to start worrying about who other teams sign now as well? :D :D

I mean I’d say we can’t really ignore a promotion rival of ours signing a striker who scored 22 goals in league 1 last season and had the best minutes per goal ratio in the league :lol:
Cleveland_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby scotsstag » Sat Jun 10, 2023 7:44 pm

Ralphy wrote:So let’s get it straight we need to start worrying about who other teams sign now as well? :D :D

Well err, yes!
scotsstag
Manager
Manager

Postby Sandy Pate Best Stag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:51 am

As per usual in League 2, he will get relentlessly kicked off the pitch by other teams. I can see him being wound up and spending a few games suspended as well. Yes a very good signing but let’s wait and see how he adapts to league 2 before we panic. They will also need a much better midfield to feed him if he’s going to be effective.
Hello! Hello! We are the North Stand Boys.
Sandy Pate Best Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:16 am

I see a lot of people with less than twenty-five years of life under their belt calling it the greatest league 2 signing.
Cracking signing and all that but why does there always have to be a big bestest ever claim? It's a modern phenomenon.
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby oldweststander » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:48 am

Amber Andy wrote:
I not too sure about that, there is talk on Blob's Bored they could be signing Billy Sharpe.

Football is a team game and one stella signing doesn't make a team.

I ask if he was so good in L1 last term why have Derby let him go, surely it isn't down to just money?
oldweststander
Manager
Manager

Postby stagone1959 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 6:56 am

Both County and Wrectum both need to up their defensive game.County were wide open v them in the poff final.They'll get ripped to bits in lge 2.Personally I think there is more chance of both of them not doing automatic than both doing it .Any takers(Mr Cranium?)
stagone1959
Subs Bench
Subs Bench

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:43 am

Jordan Smith off to Stockport according to Alan Nixon.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby BH_Stag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:00 am

oldweststander wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

I ask if he was so good in L1 last term why have Derby let him go, surely it isn't down to just money?

Derby tried everything to keep him and all their fans were desperate for him to stay - they definitely didn’t let him go. He’s joined County as they’re his boyhood club. They’re lucky in that regard for sure
BH_Stag
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:27 am

If we’re on it and avoid injuries we are good enough for automatic. I would guess the other more fancied teams will be very wary.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

Postby MTFCMusings » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:45 am

yorkstag wrote:If we’re on it and avoid injuries we are good enough for automatic. I would guess the other more fancied teams will be very wary.

That is based on last season though, not the coming one.
MTFCMusings
Manager
Manager

Postby Young021 » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:22 am

DoomMerchant wrote:I see a lot of people with less than twenty-five years of life under their belt calling it the greatest league 2 signing.
Cracking signing and all that but why does there always have to be a big bestest ever claim? It's a modern phenomenon.

The belief that if you’ve watched football longer than someone and therefore your opinion is more valid is an absolute silly shout.
Young021
Reserve Team
Reserve Team

Postby Amber Andy » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:33 am

oldweststander wrote:
Amber Andy wrote:

Absolutely it is a team game, but to have someone who scored 22 goals last season, in the league above in your team and passionately want's to play for the team, is a massive plus.
Amber Andy
Manager
Manager

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:18 am

Young021 wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:I see a lot of people with less than twenty-five years of life under their belt calling it the greatest league 2 signing.

The belief that if you’ve watched football longer than someone and therefore your opinion is more valid is an absolute silly shout.

No it isn't. I have no personal memories of the great Stags era players so cannot ever compare them to today's lot. So how can an individual such as McGoldrich be classed as the best League 2 signing ever by people who've never seen every fourth flight?

Your age helps greatly when assessing individuals. How many 30 year olds for instance can have a valid opinion of Messi or Ronaldo over Best, Maradona or Pele?

Please feel free to square that one with me. The floor is yours duckie......
Supporting Mansfield Town isn't about the glory but the glamour
DoomMerchant
Manager
Manager

Postby Tippy Tappy Football » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:30 am

Tippy Tappy Football wrote:Very surprised that Sutton have released Will Randall (34 league starts), Omar Bugiel (35 league starts), Donovan Wilson (34 league starts) and Coby Rowe (28 league starts). I thought Will Randall was their best player.

Striker Donovan Wilson has signed for Grimsby Town on a 2 year contract. He made 32(4) league last season ans scored 3 goals. 66(24) league apps and 12 goals in total.
Tippy Tappy Football
Manager
Manager

Postby yorkstag » Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:41 am

MTFCMusings wrote:
yorkstag wrote:If we’re on it and avoid injuries we are good enough for automatic. I would guess the other more fancied teams will be very wary.

That is based on last season though, not the coming one.

Everything is currently based on last season .. I think we’re good enough but it will be tough.
yorkstag
Manager
Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Stagsnet Main Discussion Forum