{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2020

11th December 2020 18:41

FA Youth Cup - Round 1
Bugbrooke St Michaels U18 0 - 3 Mansfield Town U18
Deakin 59, Hill 89, Edwards 90+4. Bouch sent off 79.
Attendance: not announced (approx 500, my estimate)

Date: 10 December 2020


Martin Shaw at The Sett, Birds Close

Mansfield Town’s under 18 side are through to the second round of the FA Youth Cup after a 3-0 win at Bugbrooke St Michaels in Northamptonshire this evening. Goals from striker Jack Deakin, a great shot from Ethan Hill, and very good goal from substitute Diego Edwards, were enough to see the Stags through, the latter 2 goals coming late on after Stags midfielder Jonty Bouch had been sent off with 11 minutes left.

Mansfield reached round 4 in this competition last season with a memorable run, and will be hoping for more success this season. The Stags will be away to Burton Albion in the second round.

The game was played in a hostile atmosphere with a group of locals throwing objects on to the pitch as the Stags left the pitch at the end of the game. I suspect most, if not all, of the Stags players will not have played in an atmosphere like that before, with Stags players regularly receiving abusive chants. While the atmosphere was hostile, it will have arguably been good for the players’ development. The pitch was also not in the sort of condition that the Stags youngsters will have been used to at the RH Academy.

The Stags lined up as follows: Maison Campbell, Taylor Anderson, Cody Collins, Lewis Hill-Smith, George Cooper, Ethan Hill, Max Hurdis, Jonty Bouch, Jack Deakin, Nathan Caine (captain), Shamar Lawson. Subs: Owen Mason, Freddie Pitts, Curtis Davies, Diego Edwards, Colt Reynolds, Mickeal Abdullah.

The Stags had the majority of the chances in a goalless first half, with Shamar Lawson, who had been booked after just 8 minutes for a late challenge, firing over the bar from 25 yards, and firing wide from 20 yards. While Nathan Caine, who made his first team debut in the EFL Trophy game at Scunthorpe, had a shot blocked after he showed great skill on the left, and sent a long range free kick straight at the keeper. He also might have had a penalty after 24 minutes when he went down in the area. Ethan Hill also had a shot just before the break, from 25 yards, which deflected straight into the keeper’s arms. The Bugbrooke keeper was not really tested in the first half though. Some nice touches in the first half from Nathan Caine and Shamar Lawson were eye-catching.

Half of the ground’s floodlights went out after 49 minutes and the referee had no choice but to stop the game. They eventually returned though after an 8 minute delay and the game could continue.

Caine fired wide after 50 minutes. Caine was then booked for a foul after 54 minutes.

The first substitution for the Stags after 55 minutes as Colt Reynolds replaced Hurdis.

At the other end, a good punch away from a corner by Stags keeper Maison Campbell after 56 minutes.

The Stags took the lead after 59 minutes when left back Cody Collins crossed from the left after a good run, and centre forward Jack Deakin fired past the keeper, before leaping high in the air to celebrate.

Lawson fired over from 6 yards after 73 minutes, after a good run down the left from substitute Reynolds and his shot from a tight angle was pushed away by the keeper into the path of Lawson.

Stags midfielder Jonty Bouch was booked for a foul after 75 minutes. A minute later, Maison Campbell made a great save from a superb 25 yard free kick from Jake Webster which was heading just under the bar.

Jonty Bouch was sent off for a second yellow card after 79 minutes, after another foul. As he went down the tunnel, which was right next to the most hostile of the home fans, there was some sort of incident, which I couldn’t quite see, and a couple of the Stags players quickly ran to the aid of Bouch. But it calmed down within a few seconds.

The second substitution for the Stags after 81 minutes as Diego Edwards replaced Deakin.

Moments later, Maison Campbell made another good save at his near post from a corner by Liam Isaac.

After 87 minutes, a great header away from a dangerous free kick by left back Cody Collins.

The Stags won a free kick 25 yards out after 89 minutes after a great run by Caine and he was brought down. Ethan Hill’s free kick was cleared back to him, and he blasted the rebound into the net to make it 2-0. Hill, by the way, is the grandson of Stags legend Paul Matthews from the successful mid 1970’s Stags sides.

On 90+4 minutes, the Stags made it 3-0 as substitute Diego Edwards flicked the ball over a defender and crashed a shot into the roof of the net.

So a successful night in the end for the Stags, but great credit to Bugbrooke for a highly competitive match in what was described in the match programme as a historic night for the club from this small village in Northamptonshire.

Stags: Maison Campbell, Taylor Anderson, Cody Collins, Lewis Hill-Smith, George Cooper, Ethan Hill, Max Hurdis, Jonty Bouch, Jack Deakin, Nathan Caine (captain), Shamar Lawson.
Subs: Colt Reynolds (for Hurdis, 55), Diego Edwards (for Deakin, 81).
Subs not used: Owen Mason, Freddie Pitts, Curtis Davies, Mickeal Abdullah.

Bugbrooke: James Ward, Archie Chorlton, Ben Dimond, Charlie Olive, Corey Pert, Ion Borta, Jake Webster, Aidan Webster, Eddie Panter, Pearce Jones, Munashe Tichawona.
Subs: Liam Isaac (for Jones, 46), Sam Morrow (for Pert).
Subs not used: Mohamud Mohamud, Tom McFadden, Finn White, Joshua Jones, Braiden Roe.

Referee: Martyn Gospel.


Latest | December 2020