{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Latest News

15th November 2020 19:19

Papa John’s Trophy (English Football League Trophy)
Scunthorpe United 1 - 2 Mansfield Town
Olumola 78. Sweeney 33, Reid 44
Attendance: behind closed doors

Date: 10 November 2020

Martin Shaw at the Sands Venue Stadium, Glanford Park

Mansfield Town waited 15 games for the first win of the season in all competitions and then two came along at once, as the Stags followed up Saturday’s fantastic win at Sunderland in the FA Cup, with a 2-1 victory at Scunthorpe United in the newly renamed Papa John’s Trophy last night.
Having lost the first two games in the competition, to Manchester City U21 and Lincoln City, the Stags were already out, as were Scunthorpe, but there was still £10,000 up for the grabs for the winner on the night, and perhaps more importantly it was a chance for new manager Nigel Clough to take a look at players who didn’t get a game in the FA Cup, as he made 11 changes to the side from Saturday.
And his side didn’t disappoint as they outplayed a poor Scunthorpe side for most of the game and should have won more comfortably than the final margin of 2-1.
This was the first match where Clough was in the dugout taking charge of the side and the players were out to impress.
Early on, captain Ryan Sweeney did just that with a wonderful tackle as Ryan Loft turned away from Rollin Menayese and surged into the area, but Sweeney was across just in the nick of time to tackle him.
At the other end, Sweeney was involved in the action again as Corey O’Keeffe’s free kick into the area was headed up in the air and Sweeney powered a header towards the roof of the net but Scunthorpe keeper Rory Watson made an incredible save clawing it over the bar.
Scunthorpe hit the bar after 23 minutes as Sweeney brought down Andy Dales 28 yards from goal, and Kevin Van Veen struck a great free kick that cannoned off the top of the bar and away.
And it was that man Sweeney who put the Stags ahead after 33 minutes. Tyrese Sinclair’s corner from the right came straight back to him, and Sinclair then whipped in a great powerful cross which Sweeney headed into the net from 5 yards via a deflection off Myles Hippolyte. I had a post in front of me in the commentary box obscuring my view so I couldn’t tell initially if Sweeney’s header was going in or not without the deflection, and I think the two video angles we have are not conclusive so it should remain as Sweeney’s goal rather than an own goal. What wasn’t in doubt was the quality of the cross from Sinclair.
Three minutes later, Aaron O’Driscoll, playing in midfield in this game, crashed a tremendous shot from 24 yards against the cross bar, having been teed up by Sinclair.
The Stags doubled the lead after 44 minutes as Andy Cook did well to control a ball forward on his chest on the right, and he curled in a nice cross into a dangerous area where Hippolyte headed the ball straight into the path of Jamie Reid who emphatically smashed the ball into the net on the volley from 4 yards. Reid’s first goal for the Stags. Good play from Cook but put on a plate for Reid by a terrible defensive header from Hippolyte.
The Stags in complete control at the break leading 2-0 with Sweeney involved in just about everything at both ends, Reid with his first Stags goal, and the Stags playing very well. Particularly impressive were James Clarke and Tyrese Sinclair combining down the right with Jamie Reid, causing Scunthorpe lots of problems.
The Stags dominated the opening half hour of the second half with chances for Cook, Sweeney and Sinclair, but Scunthorpe pulled a goal back completely out of the blue after 78 minutes as Olufela Olumola struck a superb shot from 25 yards into the left corner of the net giving Aidan Stone in the Stags goal no chance.
After 83 minutes, more good play from Olumola nearly gave the home side an equaliser as he shot low from 12 yards and Stone did brilliantly to get his left hand down low to keep it out. And two minutes after that, another brilliant save from Stone as a corner from the left found Manny Onariase unmarked at the far post, having got away from his marker Menayese, and Onariase’s close range shot was somehow kept out on the line by Stone. Great goalkeeping, awful defending.
The Stags brought on 17 year old youth team striker Nathan Caine after 88 minutes, and two minutes into stoppage time Caine found Cook in the area. Cook turned away from his marker Onariase and curled a low left footed shot inches wide of the left post from 15 yards.
So the Stags ran out 2-1 winners and there were loads of positives from the night with plenty of players playing very well including Aidan Stone with those two late saves that preserved the win, both full backs James Clarke on the right and Corey O’Keeffe on the left did very well, Tyrese Sinclair provided some real quality on the right with some fine crosses including for the first goal, while Jason Law had a good game as well on the left of midfield. Jamie Reid scored his first goal for the club, and linked very well on the right with James Clarke and Sinclair. My man of the match was Ryan Sweeney, captain for the night, who was involved in almost everything in that first half that saw the Stags take a decisive lead. It was great to see Ollie Clarke return from injury and play the last quarter of an hour, and young Nathan Caine make his debut as a late substitute. Caine was an unused substitute in last season’s excellent FA Youth Cup run, but he’s had a great season this season, scoring regularly for the youth team, and was captain in the most recent game.



Nigel Clough gets off to winning start as Mansfield Town manager
chad.co.uk, Tuesday 10th November 2020

Nigel Clough got off to the perfect start as Mansfield boss with a 2-1 win at Scunthorpe in the EFL Trophy.

After ending their shocking 14-game winless start to the season in the FA Cup, Clough guided the Stags to a second straight victory.

Ryan Sweeney’s first goal in a year and Jamie Reid’s first goal for the club did the damage to ensure the club didn’t finish bottom of their group.

Olufela Olomola grabbed a late consolation with a stunning strike as sorry Scunthorpe finished bottom after their eighth straight defeat in all competitions.


The first real chance of the game fell to Sweeney as he saw his goal-bound header superbly tipped over the bar by Scunthorpe shot-stopper Rory Watson.

Down the other end Aidan Stone was indebted to the woodwork as Kevin van Veen’s free-kick hit the bar.

Sweeney gave the Stags the lead in the 34th minute as he headed home Tyrese Sinclair’s pinpoint cross.

This time it was the visitor’s turn to be frustrated by the furniture when Aaron O’Driscoll’s powerful strike smashed the crossbar.

Reid made it two on the stroke of half-time as a mistake from Myles Hippolyte left the striker a simple finish.

After the break Mason O’Malley fired a volley wide for the hosts.

The Stags almost went three up when Tyler Cordner came close to comically putting Jason Law’s cross into his own net.

Reid could have put the game to bed with 12 minutes left but his deflected effort fell kindly for stopper Watson.

Substitute Olomola stunned the Stags with a sublime 30-yard strike to half the deficit in the 79th minute.

Stone made a great reaction stop to deny Olomola a second.

And the Stags’ stopper was at it again to parry Emmanuel Onariase’s volley past the post to hold on to the points late on.

Scunthorpe: Watson, Onariase, Rowe (Hornshaw, 81), Cordner, O'Malley, Hippolyte, Dales, Beestin, Pugh, Loft (Olomola, 66), van Veen (Hallam, 45).Unused subs: Collins, Barks, Shrimpton, Jessop.

Mansfield: Stone, J.Clarke, Menayese, Sweeney, O'Keeffe, Sinclair (Gordon, 87), O'Driscoll, Smith (O.Clarke, 73), Law, Cook, Reid (Caine, 88).Unused subs: Campbell, Charsley, Bowery.

Referee: Sam Barrott


Scunthorpe United 1-2 Mansfield Town: Report and reaction as losing streak continues in EFL Trophy
Scunthorpe United suffer an eighth straight defeat as their EFL Trophy involvement comes to an end

grimsbytelegraph.co.uk, By James Findlater, 10 NOV 2020

Scunthorpe United’s losing streak was extended to an eighth game as they ended their involvement in the EFL Trophy with a 2-1 defeat to Mansfield.

First half goals from Ryan Sweeney and Jamie Reid did the damage, with the Iron unable to claw themselves back into the game despite Olufela Olomola scoring his first goal for the club.

The first real chance of the game fell to the visitors as the returning Rory Watson was forced to tip the ball over to prevent Sweeney’s header from finding the top corner.

Making his second appearance of the season after returning from injury at the weekend, Kevin van Veen went perilously close to giving the Iron the lead as he struck the crossbar from a free-kick after Andy Dales had been brought down.


Shortly after, Ryan Loft fired over after good work from Jai Rowe, before Scunthorpe had a shout for a penalty turned down after Dales’ goal-bound effort looked to have struck a Mansfield arm.

Those missed opportunities would prove crucial, with the visitors taking the lead when Sweeney headed home after the Stags recycled from a cleared corner.

Aaron O’Driscoll almost doubled the lead when he saw his effort from distance cannon off the crossbar, although Mansfield wouldn’t have to wait too long to extend their lead.

A minute before the break, Reid volleyed home from close range to put the Stags firmly in control.

The Iron searched for a way back into the game in the second half and, with just over 10 minutes remaining, they were offered some hope when Olomola buried his 30-yard effort into the roof of the net to halve the deficit.

Olomola and Jordan Hallam both went close to finding a late equaliser as they forced Aidan Stone into a couple of decent saves, but they couldn’t grab the goal that would have seen them end their long losing streak.

The manager’s thoughts
"Yet again, it's frustrating because we conceded from a set-play again and then went 2-0 down with bad defending once more, after the opening 30 minutes where I felt we did alright. We then conceded the goal and went missing a little bit.

"We changed a few things at half-time, and had a little bit of a go in the second half and showed some spirit. At the moment, we're just lacking a little bit of quality and there was a little bit of nervousness in the young boys.

"When we get chances, we have to take them too. It was good to see Kev (van Veen) back and get 45 minutes into him.

"We had a go until the end but I'm still really disappointed with the result and the way we conceded the goals.”

How they lined up
Scunthorpe United: Watson, Onariase, Loft (Olomola 66), van Veen (Hallam 45), Hippolyte, Dales, Beestin, Rowe (Hornshaw 81), Cordner, Pugh, O'Malley.

Not used: Collins, Barks, Shrimpton, Jessop.

Mansfield Town: Stone, O'Keefe, Menayesse, Sweeney, Cook, O'Driscoll, Reid (Caine 88), J Clarke, Sinclair (Gordon 87), Law, Smith (O Clarke 73).

Not used: Charsley, Bowery, Campbell.


Report: Iron 1-2 Mansfield Town

Olufela Olomola scored his maiden goal for the Iron's first team late on, but United were defeated 2-1 by Mansfield Town in the Papa John's Trophy group stages on Tuesday evening.

Alistair Smith floated in an early cross for the visitors in the second minute, but Mason O’Malley saw the ball out for a goal kick.

Two minutes later, Alfie Beestin fired the ball into Andy Dales, who controlled well before offloading down the Iron left. Beestin then sent a brilliant ball forward to Ryan Loft, who turned his man and won a corner.

On five minutes, Kevin van Veen’s corner was headed back to the Dutchman, who struck low and hard towards the near post with the effort taking a deflection for another corner.

Straight after, Loft and van Veen both exchanged passes before the ball came out to the right with Dales. A free-kick was awarded against the Iron shortly after.

Loft then chested down Rory Watson’s kick forward, with Myles Hippolyte quickly finding van Veen. He drove forward and looked to play the return ball into the area, but it was intercepted.

For the opposition, Jamie Reid was caught offside following long balls twice in the space of 30 seconds as the Iron kept a good line at the back.

With 11 minutes gone, from a throw, Mansfield whipped in a low right-winged cross, but it was straight at Watson, who gathered comfortably.

The referee then played a good advantage as the visitors came forward, with Law looking to thread the ball into the area, but Watson was out to pounce on the ball.

After 16 minutes, Corey O’Keefe smashed into Hippolyte on the right side, which resulted in a free-kick to the Iron. Van Veen took it, with goalkeeper Aidan Stone coming a long way to claim the ball.

A minute after, Emmanuel Onariase made first contact on a free-kick into the Iron penalty area before Ryan Sweeney headed the rebound towards the top corner, with Watson clawing the ball over to make a fine save.

United twice dealt with crosses from the resultant corner following that, before hooking clear for a throw.

Loft then won a free-kick after he was held by Sweeney. Mansfield cleared, but Dales picked up the ball and tried his luck from 25-yards, with the effort deflected wide for a corner.

There was then superb link-up play from the Iron before the final pass was drilled into Dales who turned his man before being brought down from behind, resulting in a free-kick for the Iron.

Van Veen took the set-piece, with the curl and whip taking the ball away from the goalkeeper, only for the ball to cannon off the bar and out of play for a goal kick.

Loft then nodded through a header which van Veen chased back to the visiting ‘keeper. Stone shaped to clear before pulling the ball wide of the Dutchman’s attempted block.

A minute later, Jai Rowe got in behind on the right side following a neat pass into the channel. He cut back for Loft who fired his shot over.

After 27 minutes, Dales stole in on halfway and drove forward before sending Loft in on the left. He surged into the area and went down under a coming together, but the referee cautioned him for alleged simulation.

Just moments after, there was a Big handball shout turned down as Dales’ goal bound effort was blocked by a Mansfield player. It came following good work from Loft and Hippolyte, who sent in the cross.

In the 33rd minute, there was a corner to the Stags as Dales tracked back on the right to block a cross. O’Malley was quick off the post to read a quick set-play to clear.

There was then another corner to Mansfield on the right after a ricochet. Rowe headed clear the first cross before Sweeney headed home from the second ball in.

They almost doubled their advantage moments later when Aaron O’Driscoll had a long range effort cannon back into play off the crossbar before Rowe blocked a second attempt moments later.

They continued to press, and Cook headed towards goal following a right-wing cross, but it was straight at Watson, who saved. Soon after, Smith rolled a speculative effort wide of the target for the Stags.

Then, a minute before half-time, Reid volleyed home the visiting side's second goal from close range following a cross from the right.

There was a pre-planned half-time substitution as Kevin van Veen was replaced by Jordan Hallam.

In the 46th minute, there was a quick start from the Iron who sent Hallam down the left. He cut into the area before teeing up Hippolyte, who saw his shot blocked.

Dales then turned his man on the right side and was tripped. Hallam’s subsequent free-kick was cleared only as far as Tom Pugh, who hit the ball on the volley with his left foot, as the effort went wide.

After 52 minutes, Hippolyte sent a long throw into the area, with the second ball then looped towards the back post, with Mansfield goalkeeper Stone doing well to claim.

The visitors headed wide from a resultant corner on 56 minutes, after Tyler Cordner cleared following a low ball into the box from the left.

The 62nd minute saw a free-kick awarded to Mansfield on the right channel following a foul by Mason O’Malley, who also got a yellow card from the referee.

Dales brought the ball down the left and strode into the area, but couldn't squeeze in a cross as he got to the goal line.

With 66 minutes on the clock, Loft was replaced by Olomola for the Iron's second change of the night.

The 69th minute saw a corner to the Iron as Hippolyte played it around his man before forcing a clearance.

On 75 minutes, Rowe was next into the referee’s notebook following a foul on the left channel.

Two minutes after, Dales headed a corner clear before Hallam hooked away the second cross. Pugh then cleared for a throw as a third cross came into the area.

At the other end, with 11 minutes left, Olomola let fly from 30 yards, with the ball nestling in the roof of the net, scoring his first goal for the Iron's first team.

United made a further alteration with nine minutes left, as Rowe was replaced by George Hornshaw.

Seven minutes from time, there was a superb save from Stone as he got down low and read the deflection as Olomola sent a left-footed effort goalwards.

Pugh then picked up the ball and drove forward. He looked to have threaded through to Hallam, but Sweeney came across to clear.

With 85 minutes gone, there was a brilliant save from Stone as Hallam’s corner went to the far post where Onariase was lurking. His volley was somehow turned behind.

Olomola was then lurking as the second corner dropped but the visitors scrambled clear.

There were four minutes of stoppage time, and the Iron continued to press but couldn't find the important equalising goal. Mansfield came closest in that spell, when Cook fired wide from close range.

Scunthorpe return to action with their first league game in three weeks this coming Saturday when they visit Oldham Athletic (3pm kick-off).

IRON: Watson, Onariase, Loft (Olomola, 66), van Veen (Hallam, 45), Hippolyte, Dales, Beestin, Rowe (Hornshaw, 81), Cordner, Pugh, O'Malley.

IRON SUBS: Collins, Barks, Shrimpton, Jessop.

MANSFIELD: Stone, O'Keefe, Menayesse, Sweeney, Cook, O'Driscoll, Reid (Caine, 88), J Clarke, Sinclair (Gordon, 87), Law, Smith (O Clarke, 73).

MANSFIELD SUBS: Charsley, Bowery, Campbell.