{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2020

29th September 2020 18:19

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 2 Exeter City
Menayese 20. Rawson OG 40, Key 76
Attendance: behind closed doors

Date: 26 September 2020

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were beaten 2-1 by Exeter City at the One Call Stadium on Saturday. The Stags had started well in the opening half an hour and were good value for the lead given to them by Rollin Menayese in a well-worked corner kick routine. But in the end Exeter deservedly claimed all three points thanks to goals from two corners, both dreadfully defended by the Stags. The Stags ran out of ideas in the second half after twice going close in the opening 3 minutes of the second half and never looked like winning the game after that point. It was Mansfield’s first defeat of the league season, but with no wins in the opening three games they sit down in 19th place. Too early to make a judgement on the league table of course, but the Stags need to be defending better than this from corners clearly, and need to be more creative going forward.

Mansfield were unchanged from the side that was pegged back by Leyton Orient last Saturday and held to a draw. Much of course had happened during the week with the news that a number of Orient players had tested positive for COVID-19 after the game and had not informed Mansfield of the sickness in the camp, something surely that the EFL should take action on. Mansfield’s training this week had been disrupted by having to be tested for COVID-19 and an anxious wait for the results, which were thankfully all negative.

There were two changes on the bench. James Perch had a personal issue and was replaced by Alistair Smith. While Kellan Gordon came onto the bench for Tyrese Sinclair. Gordon, according to Coughlan pre-match, “had the bit between his teeth” and Coughlan included him because of his hard work in training. I was surprised to see Sinclair miss out, he brings something a bit different, a bit of X-factor, and can produce something out of nothing despite his inexperience, highlighted by his injury time shot from distance against Tranmere which nearly produced a winner.

Exeter arrived at Mansfield having not been beaten here in the last 10 matches, stretching back to 1998. The run continues. Exeter have been consistently good in recent years in League Two and once again reached the League Two play-off final a couple of months ago. They welcomed back Randell Williams into their side. He was one of the best players in the league last season and had been linked with a move away, but with that move having not happened he was brought back into the side. Former Stag Alex Fisher was not in the 18 but had travelled to the game and told me that he was trying to shake off a niggle but couldn’t shake it off in time for the game.

On a personal note, it was very nice to be presented by the club with a signed shirt before the game as a thank you for producing videos every day during 5 months of lockdown for the club’s social media accounts and iFollow Stags. It was very nice to receive this recognition. Thank you to Mark Stevenson for organising it.

Once again, the match was played behind closed doors. Such a disappointment to the thousands of Stags fans who would love to have attended. I hope that at least we brought you good coverage on the live stream on iFollow Stags.

It was a very windy day in Mansfield, with gusts of around 35mph in a northerly wind, so predominantly blowing from the North Stand end down the ground to the Quarry Lane end. The Stags had this wind behind them in the first half when they were certainly the better side in the opening 30 minutes. Exeter had the wind behind them in the second half when they got on top for long periods.



Mansfield Town suffer first defeat of League Two season as Exeter City come from behind at One Call Stadium
chad.co.uk, Saturday, 26th September 2020

Mansfield Town suffered their first defeat of the League Two season as Exeter City came from behind to win 2-1 at One Call Stadium.

Rollin Menayese gave the Stags the lead before an own goal levelled things up at the interval, Josh Key having the final say as he headed home the winner.

Following draws against Tranmere Rovers and Leyton Orient, Graham Coughlan's side were beaten by the Grecians after falling behind for the first time in the 2020-21 league campaign.


The contest kicked off at a frantic pace with Andy Cook hitting the City side netting early on.

The Stags took a 20th-minute lead as Menayese finished off a fine team move.

Corey O'Keeffe's corner was met by skipper Ollie Clarke on the edge of the Grecians' penalty area. His cross fount Harry Charsley, who teed up Menayese for a simple finish.

But Exeter were back level in the 40th minute, Farrend Rawson credited with an own goal after Rory McArdle appeared to have bundled home.

The second half began with the Stags again going close, this time Jordan Bowery heading over at the back post.

Seconds later and Charsley tested Lewis Ward after meeting Cook's flick on, the same player then dragging an effort wide.

Charsley was then in the thick of the action at the other end, blocking Matt Jay's effort.

The Grecians were denied once again, this time by a stunning save from Marek Stech as he thwarted Randell Williams.

The Stags stopper then made another firm save to deny Key.

But when the two went at it again it was the City man who came out on top, nodding home from a corner as Town trailed for the first time in a league game this season.

In the final minute of the 90 Stags substitute Nicky Maynard slipped Clarke in but his effort flew just wide.

STAGS: Stech, Menayese, Rawson, Sweeney, O'Keeffe, O. Clarke, Charsley (Gordon 78), Benning (McLaughlin 78), Maris, Bowery (Maynard 64), Cook; Subs (not used): Stone, O'Driscoll, Reid, Smith.

EXETER: Ward, Key, McArdle, Parkes, Page, Taylor, Collins, Williams (Sparkes 90), Randall (Law 77), Jay (Caprice 77), Bowman; Subs (not used): Maxted, Sparkes, Dean, Atangana, Seymour.


Match Report: Mansfield Town 1 City 2

Exeter City picked up their first league win of the season as they beat Mansfield Town 2-1 at the One Call Stadium.

The Grecians came from a goal down to take the points. Rollin Menayese had put the home side in front, before an own goal from Ferrand Rawson in the first half. Josh Key’s first league goal in the second half meant the Grecians headed home to Devon with the three points.

The home side had the first chance inside three minutes. Striker Andy Cook, who found himself through on goal but his strike edged past the post and into the side netting.

Joel Randall had City’s first opportunity of the match just shy of the quarter-hour mark, as he had a shot from the edge of the area, which was blocked.

Almost immediately after, there were huge shouts for a handball by a Mansfield player inside the penalty area, but referee Christopher Pollard was not interested.

Shortly after the penalty shout became even bigger, as Mansfield took the lead just after 20 minutes. Rollin Menayese fired in at the back post after a corner routine.

As the game passed the half-hour mark, the Grecians had a chance to level the scoreline. Randall again involved, as he found Jake Taylor who whipped a ball in which was cleared for a corner.

City responded well after going a goal behind and that proved with an equaliser five minutes before the break from a corner.

The ball was whipped into a group of bodies inside the six-yard box by Matt Jay, which was bundled into his own net by Ferrand Rawson, which took Matt Taylor’s side into the break, deservedly on level terms.

The second 45 began with two chances for the hosts. Jordan Bowery was found at the back stick, but his header went over the bar. Then two minutes later, Lewis Ward stood brave to deny Cook from point-blank range.

With very little chances during the opening stages of the second half, most of the play was in the middle of the park.

City’s first chance of the second half was a big one asRandall hugged the far touchline before he got past his man to square the ball to Randell Williams, but Stech denied him with a fabulous stop.

he chance really perked up Taylor’s boys and soon after started to ask more questions of the Mansfield defence.

There was another chance for the Grecians soon after, as Key stung the hands of Marek Stech in the Mansfield goal before it was cleared at the back stick for a corner.

From the set play, City took the lead! Key was the man of the moment again, this time his effort could not be stopped as he headed into the roof of the net; his second goal in five professional starts in all competitions.

The Grecians could have had a third almost ten minutes later as Ryan Bowman had the ball in the net, but the assistant referee’s flag went up for offside.

Just before added time, Mansfield came close to a leveller, but Ollie Clarke’s effort fired just wide of the post after being set up by Nicky Maynard.

The referee blew for full-time and City’s comeback was complete. City take on Cambridge United next in League Two at St James Park on Saturday, October 3.

Mansfield Town XI: Stech (GK), O’Keeffe, Benning (McLaughlin 77’), Menayese, Sweeney, Rawson, Charsley (Gordon 77’), Clarke, Bowery (Maynard 64’), Maris, Cook.

Subs not used: Stone (GK), O’Driscoll, Reid, Smith.

Exeter City: Ward, Key, McArdle, Parkes, Page, Taylor (c), Collins, Williams (Sparkes 90’), Randall (Caprice 78’), Jay (Law 78’), Bowman

Subs not used: Maxted (GK), Sparkes, Atangana, Seymour, Dean.



Latest | September 2020