{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2019

15th December 2019 19:08

Reserves report: Stags 2-1 Scunthorpe United
mansfieldtown.net, by Jack Hasler, 10 Dec 2019

Stags’ reserves scored early in each half to secure a 2-1 victory against Scunthorpe United reserves in testing conditions at the RH Academy.

The difficult weather played its part in Mansfield’s opening goal as Jason Law’s corner was blown directly into the net with assistance from the wind.

Craig Davies added to the lead with an excellent drilled finish, in what was his first start since his he obtained an ankle injury 12 months ago. Andy Dales got one back for Scunthorpe but the Stags held on to earn a second successive three points.


Mansfield had named a strong line-up with first-teamers Krystian Pearce, Omari Sterling-James, Willem Tomlinson, Alistair Smith, Otis Khan and Davies all involved.

The experienced starting XI paid due diligence as the Stags took the lead within just six minutes as Law found the net in unusual fashion.

The 20-year-old’s corner flew past Adam Kelsey with the assistance of the windy conditions to provide Richard Cooper’s side with the perfect start.

The Stags were forced into a change midway through the opening period as the injured Jamie Chisholm made way for fellow centre-back Nathan Saunders.

Dales came close to finding the Iron a leveler before the break when his well-hit effort flew just wide of the target.

Mansfield started the second-half with real intent, and an early effort from Khan needed the fingertips of Kelsey to prevent a second Stags’ goal.

Sterling-James produced a wonderful piece of skill inside the area to beat his man, but the finish that followed lacked any real direction.

Then, as they did early in the first-half, the Stags found the net once more.

Khan found Davies, who powered home clinically to bag his first goal since returning from a lengthy injury lay-off.

Tyrese Sinclair then came close to notching Stags’ third as, following a flowing forward move, he saw his low shot pushed wide by the diving Kelsey.

The Stags, despite the awful conditions, pieced together a wonderful passing move, which concluded with a low effort from Sinclair which was pushed around the post.

Soon after, Dales slotted into the far corner from Ryan Colclough’s long pass to reduce the deficit.

The Stags, however, held onto secure their first victory of the Central League Cup campaign.

MANSFIELD XI: Stone (GK), Walker, Pearce (C) (Sketchley 63’), Chisholm (Saunders 36’), Law, Sterling-James, Tomlinson, Smith, Khan, Sinclair, Davies (Knowles 78’)
UNUSED SUBS: Campbell, King.

SCUNTHORPE XI: Kelsey, Rowe, Butroid, Hornshaw (Potts 46’), Cummings, Bedeau, Pugh, Songo’o, Colclough, McAtee, Dales


Report: Mansfield Town Res 2-1 Iron U23s

The Iron’s Under-23s were defeated 2-1 away at Mansfield Town in the Central League Cup Group Stages on Tuesday afternoon, in a game played in blustery conditions at the Stags’ training centre.

Winger Andy Dales scored United’s goal, as midfielder Yann Songo’o returned from a toe injury to play a full 90 minutes.


On four minutes, goalkeeper Adam Kelsey was alert to smother the ball following a through ball, with the intended target flagged offside, although there was another Stags player lurking.

The wind took its toll with the opening goal for the hosts on five minutes. Kelsey originally made a good save from Sterling-James to concede a corner. From the resultant set-piece, which Law took, the ball floated directly into the net.

On 15 minutes, Ryan Colclough drove into space before cutting onto his right foot and angling an effort from the edge of the box over the bar.

The 22nd minute saw a corner to the hosts following a deflection from Tomlinson’s long range effort. From the resultant ball in, the wind again took it towards goal, but this time it sailed over the bar and out of play.

The Iron won a free-kick right on the edge of the box soon after, just left of centre. John McAtee stepped up, floating the ball over the wall and narrowly over the bar.

The 32nd minute saw the best move of the game up to then for the Iron as Jacob Bedeau strode out of defence. Songo’o spread wide to Tom Pugh, who drove at his man before finding Jai Rowe on the overlap. His cross was spilled by the ‘keeper before being gathered.

The Iron came close on 37 minutes as Dales seized on a slip to curl a brilliant effort across goal and just wide of the far post, with the home goalkeeper scrambling.

A minute later, there was another marauding run from Pugh down the right as he skipped past one before firing in a cross. Again, the home ‘keeper’s handling was tested low to his right, but again he gathered.

The second-half saw an early corner for the hosts as Kelsey was forced to push over the bar from Khan’s effort.

On 52 minutes, there was then a big chance for a Mansfield second as the ball was spread wide to the left. The inside ball saw Sterling-James find space in the area but his shot was wayward.

Two minutes later, former Iron player Craig Davies doubled the Stags’ lead with a side-footed effort from just inside the area following a low ball from the left.

On 55 minutes, Kelsey made a brilliant save to deny Sinclair from point blank range. The Iron then countered, with Dales seeing his angled effort beaten away for a corner.

The 67th minute saw Sinclair break through and roll his effort wide. Kelsey had it covered and was adjudged to have saved it.

Four minutes after, Rowe had a low effort from the edge of the area deflected wide following play from McAtee, Dales and a near touch from Songo’o to create the chance.

In the 72nd minute. Dales got a goal back as he took down Colclough’s cross-field ball, before delicately touching past the ‘keeper and into the far corner of the net.

Seven minutes later, Dales controlled on the left and drove into the area before finding Pugh. His ball then found Colclough who saw his shot blocked.

On 80 minutes, Colclough fired a left-footed shot wide of the target from 25-yards.

With five minutes left, Rowe played a great one-two down the right with Potts before his cross came into an inviting area. Colclough met the ball with a header but couldn’t divert it goalwards.

In the 87th minute, Potts read Rowe’s wind-assisted cross from the right but his header sailed just wide of the post. The hosts held on for three points.

IRON TEAM: Kelsey, Rowe, Butroid, Hornshaw (Potts, 45), Cummings, Bedeau, Pugh, Songo’o, Colclough, McAtee, Dales.




Latest | December 2019