{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2019

18th October 2019 19:24

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 6 - 1 Oldham Athletic
Maynard 31, 34, 45+4, Benning 56, Afolayan 66, Knowles pen 83. Hamer 43. Egert sent off 37, Morais sent off 38.
Attendance: 4368 (441 from Oldham)

Date: 12 October 2019

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town followed up last week’s 1-0 win at Grimsby with a stunning 6-1 win against Oldham Athletic at the One Call Stadium, for back-to-back wins for the first time since April. The Stags played some superb football creating an incredible 29 chances and taking six of them. All 29 chances are listed in this report. Oldham had two players sent off after 37 minutes, Tomas Egert getting a straight red for a sliding and out of control challenge on Mal Benning, a similar challenge to that which Stags defenders Matt Preston and Hayden White have received straight red cards for this season, and Filipe Morais sent off for a second bookable challenge, a foul on Neal Bishop, that occurred less than two seconds before Egert’s challenge on Benning. Oldham down to nine men, but the Stags were already firmly in control of the game by that point and two goals ahead.
The Stags took the lead after 31 minutes as Conor Shaughnessy found Kellan Gordon on the right wing and Gordon whipped in a magnificent cross to the edge of the six-yard box where Nicky Maynard headed into the left of the net. It was 2-0 three minutes later as Otis Khan mesmerised the Oldham defence on the left, ran along the byline, and crossed low to Maynard who beat former Stags loanee Alex Iacovitti to the ball to knock it into the net from a yard. Brilliant from Khan and a poacher’s goal from Maynard.
Then came the two red cards for Oldham, but Oldham pulled a goal back after 43 minutes as Christopher Missilou crossed from the byline on the left with some pace into the middle, Conrad Logan dived to push the cross away but it fell invitingly for Tom Hamer to knock the loose ball into the net from 7 yards.
The Stags regained the two goal advantage after 45+4 minutes as Maynard completed a first half-hat-trick. The excellent Shaughnessy nicked the ball off Mohamed Maouche halfway inside the Stags half, as Maouche slipped over, and Shaughnessy played a magnificent 45 yard through ball forward for Maynard to run on to, go around the keeper and slide into the empty net. What an 18 minutes for Maynard with those 3 goals. And an absolutely breathless end to the half with four goals and two red cards.
It was 4-1 after 56 minutes as Mal Benning got into the area on the left and sent in a low cross-shot which deflected off David Wheater and through the keeper’s legs. Benning’s cross-shot would surely have been saved by the keeper if it had not taken the deflection but crucially the pitchside and main camera footage shows that it was on target hence the goal will be credited to Benning. A stroke of luck for the Stags.
It was 5-1 after 66 minutes and this time it was an assist for Maynard. Maynard forced his way past Dylan Fage just inside the Oldham half and unselfishly laid the ball to his left into the path of sub Dapo Afolayan who knocked the ball into the empty net from a couple of yards. Dylan Fage was concussed in the incident and had to be stretchered off and Oldham tweeted after the game “An update on Dylan, he’s feeling much better now after his concussion where he was unconscious for a short while on the pitch. He’d personally like to thank the @mansfieldtownfc Captain Krystian Pearce who put him in the recovery position before assistance arrived.” Outstanding from Pearce.
The Stags made it 6-1 after 83 minutes with another stroke of luck. A good run from Afolayan into the area and he went down under a challenge from Hamer as he headed for the byline. The referee gave a penalty though replays show that Hamer got the ball. 17 year old Jimmy Knowles, who scored his first first team goal on Tuesday in the Leasing.com Trophy, stepped up to take the penalty and sent the keeper the wrong way for his first football league goal. A stat from Paul Taylor is that Knowles became the Stags' youngest ever penalty scorer (at 17 years, 260 days, taking the record from Peter Morris who was 17 years, 327 days old when he scored from the penalty spot against Gillingham in September 1961).
It finished 6-1, it could have been many more, and it was great entertainment. Oldham will feel unlucky, and they were with some of the goals, but boss Dino Maamria was well off the mark when he complained post match about the red cards, as they were nailed on.
Plenty of super performances throughout the Stags side, with Conor Shaughnessy outstanding in midfield, but I can’t look any further than Nicky Maynard for man of the match with a first half hat-trick and a further assist.

Mansfield made one change from the side that beat Grimsby last Saturday. Hayden White was suspended for three games following his red card. In came Conor Shaughnessy. The Stags switched to 4-4-2 with Shaughnessy in central midfield with Bishop, and with MacDonald (right) and Khan (left) either side of them. Jimmy Knowles came into the 18 with White suspended, a reward for his performance in the Leasing.com Trophy. No place in the 18 for Bobby Olejnik, who returned from injury in the Leasing.com Trophy. No news whether Olejnik was injured or not, that will probably have to wait for the midweek press conference.

If you read my report from Tuesday’s game, or listened to the commentary, you’ll know that chairman John Radford, watching the game live on iFollow Stags, as he always does when he and Carolyn are not at the game in person, sent me the video of Crewe’s goal, filmed from the TV gantry on the opposite side of the ground, to clear up our utter confusion in commentary of how it was a goal. What I didn’t say was that he also promised to bring me an iPad with a login for watching the match live on iFollow Stags so that we can have it in front of us during commentary so we can watch replays of key incidents and accurately reflect them to listeners. Sure enough, before the game, John came up to the press box and presented me and Dean with the iPad. As one listener pointed out on twitter, I doubt you’d get many football club owners helping out like that. Thanks John! And it was already useful today for one or two incidents!



Mansfield Town 6 v 1 Oldham Athletic: Nicky Maynard scores first-half hat-trick as Stags thrash nine-man Latics
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 12 October 2019

Magnificent Mansfield Town stormed to a 6-1 home victory over nine-men Oldham Athletic to secure their first back-to-back wins of the season in a sensational game.

Nicky Maynard was the hero with a first half hat-trick before setting up Dapo Afolayan for his first Stags goal.


A Mal Benning cross that deflected in off David Wheater and 17-year-old Jimmy Knowles netting his first league goal from an ice cool spot kick to round off a great day for John Dempster’s men.

Stags had been well on top ad 2-0 up before two silly challenges in succession saw Filipe Morais and Tomas Egert dismissed in an explosive 37th minute and showed no mercy as they went for the jugular, despite the nine men pulling one back before Maynard completed his hat-trick.

Stags were on the front foot from minute one and you sense their season could finally be on the boil.

Stags had only won one of their last 12 clashes with Oldham and you had to go back to April 1978 for their last success against the Latics in a Football League game,

Stags made just one change with Conor Shaughnessy in for Hayden White who, along with Matt Preston, missed the game through suspension.

Shaughnessy played in midfield with Stags switching to a 4-3-3.

Jacob Mellis missed out on the 18 with a tight hamstring from the midweek draw with Crewe.

Stags took the game to Crewe in the early stages and on seven minutes fashioned the first chance as Maynard’s firm pass picked out Rose whose low shot was saved by Woods.

Rose came even closer on 14 minutes after a loose ball from Egert reached him to spark a swift counter. Rose found Maynard to his right, who returned the pass, but, with Woods advancing, Rose poked his finish narrowly wide.

Woods easily gathered another low Rose shot soon after, then Maynard had a shot blocked, as the home side dominated.

Logan finally had to grab a nod-down from Morais in the box on 25 minutes - his first real action of the game.

Two minutes later Khan went on a fine run, taking him to the left of the box before firing across goal and just wide of the far post.

Stags finally got the goal they deserved on 31 minutes. It stemmed from a superb, inviting right wing cross from Gordon and Maynard rose to bury a header from five yards.

Within three minutes Maynard had doubled the lead, a minute after Morais was booked for a foul on Benning.

This time it was the trickery of Khan on the left as he danced to the left by-line and drilled the ball hard and low across the face of goal where Maynard turned it home from almost on the line.

The game exploded on 37 minutes with a double sending-off for Oldham.

First Morais leapt in late on Bishop after he had played the ball forward to Benning, who was scythed down by a dreadful challenge from Egert.

Egert was shown a straight red and the referee then ran back to Morais for his second yellow and subsequent red.

The thrills continued as nine-men Oldham was presented with a simple chance and pulled one back on 43 minutes.

The ball was crossed from the left and Logan pushed the ball to the feet of Hamer who made no mistake from eight yards.

But Maynard completed a first half hat-trick to restore that two-goal advantage in the last of four added first half minutes as Shaughnessy threaded an inch-perfect through ball into his path before Maynard expertly rounded the keeper and stroked it into the open net.

Gordon and Khan shot over in early second half raids as Stags looked to rub in their advantage.

Rose took a knock on 54 minutes and it was decided to throw Cook into the fray.

It was 4-1 on 56 minutes in farcical fashion as a low Benning cross from the left somehow went through defenders and keeper and into the net, possibly off Wheater.

Afolayan replaced MacDonald in Stags’ second change on the hour before Pearce saw Mansfield’s first yellow card for tripping Smith.

Goal number five came on 66 minutes as Stags broke from an Oldham free kick and Maynard looked set to go clear. But as he was tackled he just managed to thread the ball to Afolayan to roll in at the far post.

Maynard left the field to an ovation on 69 minutes to give teenager Knowles a run out.

At the same time Smith-Brown came on for the unlucky Fage, who had suffered a serious injury and had to be stretchered off within seven minutes of coming on as a sub.

Benning was inches wide with a curling free kick on 76 minutes, then a deflected Khan shot was gathered by Woods who also had to tip over a dipping Bishop shot as Stags turned the screw further.

A controversial penalty decision against Hamer as he tackled Afolayan on 84 minutes gifted Knowles the chance of his first League goal on 84 minutes and he calmly sent Woods the wrong way to make it six.

Bishop’s persistent fouling saw him booked for upending Missilou as we entered nine added minutes.

Benning was inches wide from another home break from an Oldham corner.

Amid one-way traffic Woods saved a powerful Gordon drive before the final whistle ended Oldham’s agony.

STAGS: Logan; Sweeney, Pearce, Shaughnessy; Gordon, MacDonald (Afolayan 60), Bishop, Benning; Maynard (Knowles 69), Rose (Cook 54), Khan. Subs not used: Stone, Tomlinson, Hamilton, Smith.

OLDHAM: Woods, Iacovitti, Moras, Vera (Stott 37), Maouche (Fage 62, Smith-Brown 69), Missilou, Sylla, Smith, Egert, Wheater, Hamer, Subs not used: Zabret, Wilson, Adams, Eagles.

REFEREE: Lee Swabey of Devon.

ATTENDANCE: 4,368 (441 away).



MATCH REPORT: Nine Men Oldham Condemned To Heavy Defeat
Mansfield Town 6-1 Oldham Athletic


Three goals either side of half-time, included a first-half hat-trick from Nicky Maynard meant the Stags recorded a comfortable victory that didn’t tell the full story overall of the afternoon.

Head Coach Dino Maamria brought back Gary Woods in goal after his groin injury and gave Urko Vera his first start and appearance in attack of his tenure.

But the opening half, and ultimately the game, at Field Mill would turn out to be a rollercoaster of emotions for both sides.

The hosts who were sitting two places and two points above Latics before kick-off started the brighter with Danny Rose, who was the joint top scorer in the league with seven before the fixture, having a handful of chances that were stopped by Woods.

But as Latics battled back the game took a turn on the half-hour mark when the Stags took the lead through Nicky Maynard.

The frontman headed in from close range unmarked after a pin-point cross found the former Bury FC attacker from the right.

A couple of minutes later and Maynard doubled his and the Yellows lead as he tapped in with it being inches from the line as Otis Khan drove forward and played the ball across from the left at the byline.

Things would go from bad to worse when Tomas Egert and Filipe Morais received their marching orders on the 36th minute.

Egert was given a straight red for a strong diving challenge before Morais got his second bookable offence after an altercation with referee Lee Swabey.

A change was made instantly by Latics to sure up the gap in defence as Urko Vera made way for Jamie Stott.

Oldham would seemingly play better with nine men as Hamer pulled an unlikely goal back just before the interval.

The youngster powering home the ball into the net inside the box after finding himself unmarked with the cross drifting in the from the wing.

John Dempster’s side would come forward again though and it was Nicky Maynard who put the home side back in cruise control.

Rounding Gary Woods before slotting the ball in the goal from an angle to complete his hat-trick in first-half stoppage time to bring to an end a frantic opening 45.

The second period had a similar feel as Oldham were totally against the odds. Maamria’s side showed some fight early on to keep the score down but Mansfield got their fourth on the 55th minute as Wheater’s wicked deflection from a Benning cross caught Woods off balance to further compound the disappointment and hurt.

As both sides made changes for differing reasons with former on-loan striker Dapo Afolayan coming on for the hosts and netting the fifth just after the hour mark.

Mansfield countering with speed through Maynard who found Afolayan who duly accepted the offer of sliding the ball home despite being under pressure.

In the process young Dylan Fage who came on only five minutes before the incident fell awkwardly trying to recover. Receiving lengthy treatment on the pitch the French midfielder was stretchered off in a brace to make the afternoon even worse.

As Mansfield Town kept coming forward, the Latics faithful continued to make noise but the sixth and final goal from the hosts came in the final ten minutes.

Hamer challenging Afolayan in the box, the referee awarded the home side with a penalty with youngster Knowles converting it comfortably sending Woods the wrong way.

As nine minutes of stoppage was shown Oldham prevented any further goals for what will be a disappointing performance for a number of reasons; with the playing staff acknowledging the response from the travelling fans who never stopped supporting the side all day despite the circumstances that unfolded.

Mansfield Town: Logan, Benning, Pearce (C), Bishop, MacDonald (60’ Afolayan), Khan, Maynard (68’ Knowles), Shaughnessy, Sweeney, Gordon, Rose (54’ Cook).

Oldham Athletic: Woods, Iacovitti, Morais, Vera (38’ Stott), Maouche (61’ Fage - 73’ Smith-Brown), Missilou, Sylla, Smith, Egert, Wheater (C), Hamer.

Attendance: 4,368 (441 Latics)

Referee: Lee Swabey



Latest | October 2019