{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from July 2019

28th July 2019 11:11

Pre-Season Friendly
Mansfield Town 2 - 1 Nottingham Forest U23
Stewart OG 33, Maynard 84. Cummings 10.
Attendance: 3202 (1039 from Nottingham Forest)

Date: 23 July 2019

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town beat a Nottingham Forest U23 side 2-1 last night in the penultimate pre-season friendly ahead of the big kick-off at Newport in 11 days. Forest had been due to send their first XI but a change of manager led to a change in approach, not to mention a reduction in the expected crowd, as Forest fielded a side of experienced players who are mostly out of favour and available for transfer, mixed with youngsters, several of whom looked highly promising. The Forest side included Jordan Smith in goal, who played on loan at Mansfield last season. Also experienced striker Daryl Murphy, Liam Bridcutt formerly of Brighton and Leeds, Zach Clough formerly of Bolton, Jason Cummings who was on loan at Peterborough last season under Steve Evans, and Gboly Ariyibi, all of whom would be on high wages as alluded to after the game by John Dempster. Tyler Walker did not feature for Forest. Mansfield gave 90 minutes to Nicky Maynard and Danny Rose up front after they didn’t feature on Saturday. Jacob Mellis returned from illness to play 90 minutes. Aidan Stone played in goal.

There was bad news as Hayden White had to go off injured after 54 minutes, with a slight tweak in his hamstring and we await news over the coming couple of days of how serious that is, hopefully not so.

The opening 30 minutes was disappointing stuff from the Stags as Forest were in control and Mansfield made unforced errors. Forest took the lead after 10 minutes, though it came immediately after Mansfield might have been awarded a penalty. Nicky Maynard seemed to be tripped just inside the area at one end, the referee waved play on, Forest went straight to the other end and scored as Cummings headed in at the far post after Murphy had a shot blocked, it came back to him, and his cross-shot reached Cummings. The lively Ariyibi gave White a torrid time down the Forest left while Bridcutt controlled the middle of the park.

The Stags levelled in fortunate circumstances after 33 minutes as Mal Benning’s cross was turned into his own net by young centre half Ethan Stewart. The goal gave the Stags confidence and they finished the half well with Jacob Mellis having a shot from 30 yards tipped over the bar by Jordan Smith, and a clever corner kick routine from Mellis straight to Benning who sent a spectacular volley just over the bar from outside the area.

The second half saw the Stags build on how they finished the first half, as Forest brought on more youngsters. Several good moves from the Stags, with Jacob Mellis involved in many of them. Mellis fired straight at Smith after being teed up by Maynard, Benning also tested the keeper after a fine run, Mellis volleyed over the bar. Then great play from Danny Rose who pulled back to Mellis and his close range shot was blocked. Mellis then had another goalbound shot blocked. The Stags won the game after 84 minutes with a wonderful goal. Maynard set Hamilton away down the right, Hamilton made a great run from the halfway line to the byline, cutting inside and pulling back to Maynard who slotted into the net from 12 yards. After 89 minutes, Hamilton made another brilliant run, terrorising the defence though the ball ended up in the side netting.

So overall, not a bad workout for the Stags, with some good football in the final 60 minutes after a disappointing opening half an hour. The biggest positive was the link play between Hamilton and Maynard for the goal. Maynard had a quiet evening, but he showed his quality with the finish. Hamilton showed again what an important player he is and it remains vital that the Stags hang on to him in the transfer window. Both Maynard and Hamilton are names that must already be written on the team sheet for the first league game. Mellis also impressed against Forest U23 and is surely a certainty for the opening game. I will draft out what my side would be for the first league game, after the Glasgow Rangers game on Saturday.

This was the team against Forest U23:

Aidan Stone (new young keeper, to be understudy to Logan, until Olejnik fit);
Matt Preston, Krystian Pearce, Ryan Sweeney;
Hayden White, Jacob Mellis (deepest midfielder), Alex MacDonald, Neal Bishop, Mal Benning;
Nicky Maynard (new signing from Bury), Danny Rose.

CJ Hamilton (for White, 54 mins)

Subs not used:
Conrad Logan, James Clarke (young right back signed from Burnley), Lewis Gibbens, Omari Sterling-James, Alistair Smith, Otis Khan, Andy Cook (new signing from Walsall), Trialist.

The trialist was not the same as any of the three trialists who have featured in previous pre-season games and who have all left now (their names are now added to previous match reports for completeness and future reference). However this trialist did not actually come on.

The trialist was Miles Storey. He did not come on and the club did not follow up on him. He had just finished a trial at Carlisle United.

Not involved: Bobby Olejnik (injured, hopefully back October), Willem Tomlinson (sustained minor knee ligament damage against Blackburn and will be out for three more weeks), Jordan Graham (injured), Craig Davies (injured), Dion Donohue (new signing from Portsmouth, not quite fit, but not far away), Jamie Chisholm (from last season’s youth team), Noah Stokes (picked up a bad knee injury at Bradford PA), Jason Law (was ill prior to Alfreton game), Tyrese Sinclair (from last season’s youth team), Tom Fielding, Jimmy Knowles (from last season’s youth team, just signed pro deal).

It was a hot evening in Mansfield, after a scorching day.



MATCH REPORT: Hayden White injury mars Mansfield Town’s late win over Nottingham Forest U23s
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 23 July 2019

Mansfield Town’s entertaining 2-1 home friendly win over Nottingham Forest U23s tonight was marred by a new injury to defender Hayden White.

Looking lively and hungry after recovering from the ankle break he sustained in January, White suddenly pulled up and limped off nine minutes into the second half.


With Stags already in the market for cover for him, it remains to be seen how serious the injury is.

Otherwise, Stags new boy Nicky Maynard proved the matchwinner with an 84th minute goal.

In the first half Jason Cumming’s opener for the Reds had been wiped out by an Ethan Stewart own goal.

Stags are still to achieve the fluency they require and played too many misplaced passes on the night.

But they impressed in spells and Jacob Mellis was at his impish best in midfield and the back three rock solid among some good individual performances.

On a stiflingly hot night, Mansfield began the night with a back three, new boy Aidan Stone in goal and a pairing of Danny Rose and Nicky Maynard up front.

After all three trialists from last week were shown the day, Mansfield had a new trialist on the bench, but he was not used.

Forest, despite switching their from the promised first team to their U23s, still fielded a number of their bigger transfer-listed names to give them the chance to be in the shop window.

In goal for the Reds was Jordan Smith, who spent the second half of last season on loan at Mansfield.

Mansfield caused their own early problems at the back.

A loose clearance from Pearce in the box in the second minute went straight to Aryibi and White did well to block his fierce shot.

The four minutes later White gave the ball away and Ariyibi set up Bridcutt for a rising shot over the bar.

Maynard went down under a challenge as Stags got into the Forest box, but nothing was given.

Instead Forest went ahead on 10 minutes as A well-worked Forest move saw Stone’s save deny Murphy’s low, angled finish from the left only to see Murphy smash the loose ball back goalwards and Cummings turn it into the net at the far post.

A misplaced backpass from Clough earned Stags an unexpected corner, but when the ball reached Rose he screwed a tame shot well wide.

Cummings was not too far wide of the far angle from 20 yards as the Reds continued to produce some excellent approach play.

After a drinks break in the heat, Forest came close again on 28 minutes as Murphy’s head failed by inches to connect with Ariyibi’s superb left wing cross.

However, the home side were level on 33 minutes thanks to an own goal. Benning whipped a dangerous low ball into the box and Stewart’s attempted clearance diverted the ball past his own keeper.

Stags then had two spectacular attempts on goal.

On 35 minutes a clearance reached Mellis over 35 yards from goal and he hit it first time, Smith reacting well to the powerful, dipping finish and turning it over the bar.

From the corner, the ball was bent out to Benning whose smashed an outrageous volley over the top from 25 yards.

Forest took most of their more experienced senior names off at half-time to be replaced by more of their U23s.

Stags were first to try their luck as Mellis sent a powerful shot at Smith from 25 yards from Maynard’s intelligent low-pull-back.

But Stags - and White - were dealt a nasty blow on 53 minutes as White suddenly pulled up and limped off to be replaced by Hamilton.

On the restart MacDonald was not too far wide with a dipping half-volley.

Then a rampaging run by Benning on the hour took him into the box on the left where he forced Smith into a save.

A rare Forest chance on 70 minutes saw Walsh’s low snapshot deflect wide for a corner.

Bridcutt did well to block a Mellis shot on 76 minutes as Stags continued to probe.

Seconds later Gomis showed his speed and vision to slip a pass through to Swan, but an alert Stone kept out his flicked finish with an outstretched leg.

Bridcutt saw the night’s first yellow card with 10 minutes to go for hacking down Rose.

Great skill by Mighten on 83 minutes saw him hold off two defenders and then turn to see a low shot deflect wide as Forest pushed for the win.

Instead Stags took the lead for the first time on 84 minutes and snatched victory.

Hamilton made a typical run to the by-line on the right before pulling back a low ball towards the penalty spot where Maynard buried a low first time finish, showing the predator’s instinct he was bought for.

STAGS: Stone; Preston, Pearce, Sweeney; White (Hamilton 54), MacDonald, Bishop, Mellis, Benning; Maynard, Rose. Subs not used: Logan, Khan, Cook, Sterling-James, Gibbens, Smith, Clarke, Trialist.

FOREST: Smith, Richardson (Mighten HT), Spooner, Stewart (Walsh 65), Preston (Gallacher 65), Bridcutt, Clough (Barnes HT), Edser (Swan HT), Cummings (Taylor HT), Ariyibi (Gomis HT), Murphy (Fornah HT). Subs not used: Wright.

REFEREE: David Coote of Nottinghamshire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,202 (1,039 away).



Jason Cummings goal not enough to stop Nottingham Forest's Under-23s losing at Mansfield Town
Nottingham Post, By Paul Taylor, 23 JUL 2019

This was a night when a familiar face provided a reminder that he still has something to offer, as ex-Reds trialist Nicky Maynard netted the winning goal for Mansfield Town.

But the One Call Stadium also saw some of the next generation at Nottingham Forest offer a demonstration of their own promise.

A Reds side packed with experience had dominated the opening half hour and had taken a deserved lead through Jason Cummings, even as an own goal from Ethan Stewart saw Stags draw level before the break.

But while Mansfield ultimately came out on top, with Forest having made a host of half time changes to alter the dynamic of their side considerably after the break, there were numerous young players who took the opportunity to shine.


Not least Alex Mighten who was inches away from putting Forest ahead for a second time, mere moments before Maynard showed that he still has the finishing touch, to secure victory with a late goal.

Forest took the opportunity to give some of their fringe players some game time; to perhaps put a few in the shop window.

Daryl Murphy, Liam Bridcutt, Cummings, Zach Clough and Gboly Ariyibi - who are all available for transfer this summer - all started the game, along with Jordan Smith in goal.

The keeper spent time on loan with the Stags last season, making 12 starts for the club in League Two.

Jimmy Gilligan was the man in the dugout, with Forest having downgraded the fixture to an Under-23 friendly, with head coach Sabri Lamouchi concerned about the intensity of the Reds’ pre-season schedule.

The trip to Lincoln on Monday will now also see Forest field a similar side, for similar reasons - although, with so many senior players available for transfer, they still have numerous experienced options available.

And one of those, Murphy, was quick to get into the action, as the big striker battered his way down the centre, through two challenges, before the ball span loose to Ariyibi on the edge of the box. His powerful shot was bravely blocked.

Murphy was involved again as Forest fashioned another opportunity, this time for Bridcutt, but his 20-yard strike was always rising over the bar, leaving the midfielder to do a dance of frustration.

When former Forest trialist Nicky Maynard attempted to carry the ball into the box, he ran into Malique Spooner, who stood strong, with Maynard bouncing off him.

Forest took the lead in the tenth minute, following another probing piece of play from Murphy. The big Irishman drove in a low shot that Aidan Stone saved well. But the ball rebounded back to Murphy, who this time attempted to place a shot which, despite lying on the floor after challenging for the initial rebound, Cummings succeeded in steering over the line, with a prod of his boot.

It was a bright start from the Reds, who were the better side in the opening exchanges, with their quality in the final third making a big difference.

Good hold up play from Murphy ended with Cummings cutting in from the right side and letting fly with an ambitious 25-yard effort which, while always flying high and wide, was not too far off target.

As well as the experienced core to the Reds side, there was room for some young players who have impressed with the senior squad during pre-season.

Jayden Richardson and Toby Edser were both involved during the training camp in Greece, with midfielder Edser producing an impressive display against Atromitos in Athens.

Richardson was looking bright pushing forward down the right side. But it was a superb cross from Danny Preston, from left-back, that would have been the catalyst for a second Forest goal, if only somebody had been attacking the near post.

When Ariyibi whipped in a dangerous cross of his own, from a similar position, Murphy looked certain to score, but somehow failed to make contact with his header, in the centre.

The equaliser came in the 33rd minute, in somewhat unfortunate fashion.

A cross from Mal Benning caused a degree of panic in the Forest box, where Ethan Stewart stuck out a boot in an effort to divert the ball away from danger - but succeeded only in beating Smith, for an own goal.

Forest had been in charge of the first half hour, but it was Mansfield who finished the half the stronger, with Banning unleashing a spectacular effort that was hit with tremendous power, but little in the way of direction.

Forest made six changes at the interval, with Alex Mighten, Jake Taylor, Virgil Gomis, Tyrese Fornah, Will Swan and Joshua Barnes brought on, in place of Richardson, Cummigs, Edser, Murphy, Clough and Ariyibi.

It gave Forest a very much more youthful look for the second half, although Mighten was quick to attack a low cross at the far post. Unfortunately his effort was on the wild side.

Stags threatened to take the lead when Benning drove into the box, evading two challenges on his way, before hitting a crisp shot that Smith held well, making the save look easier than it perhaps was.

Forest made two further changes as Owen Gallacher and Louis Walsh were introduced with 25 minutes left to play.

Gomis turned nicely just inside the Mansfield half and looked briefly to have a chance of powering clear, but CJ Hamilton recovered well to block off his route to goal.

Forest might have snatched the advantage for a second time when Gomis showed good feet outside the box, before feeding Swan’s run into the area. But Stone was quick off his line to make a strong save.

Mighten almost scored a fine individual goal as he turned brilliantly on the edge of the box, before seeing his driven shot deflected wide.

And it proved to be a pivotal moment as, with their next attack, the home side took the lead for the first time, with six minutes to play.

Maynard’s experience took him into a dangerous area ten yards from goal, where he was perfectly placed to send a precise, instinctive finish inside the post to make it 2-1, after Hamilton had provided the cut back.

Mansfield: Stone, Preston, Pearce, Sweeney, White (Hamilton 54), MacDonald, Bishop, Mellis, Benning, Maynard, Rose. Subs: Logan, Khan, Cook, Sterling-James, Gibbens, Smith, Clarke, Trialist.

Forest: Smith, Richardson (Mighten 45), Spooner, Stewart (Walsh 65), Preston (Gallacher 65), Bridcutt, Clough (Taylor 45), Edser (Gomis 45), Cummings (Fornah 45), Ariyibi (Swan 45), Murphy (Barnes 45). Subs: Wright.

Attendance: 3,202 (1,039 away)

Referee: David Coote



Latest | July 2019