{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2019

9th January 2019 23:25

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Carlisle United 3 - 2 Mansfield Town
Sowerby 4, Hope 26, 80. Preston 78, Walker 87. Bishop sent off 45.
Attendance: 4563 (335 from Mansfield)

Date: 5 January 2019

Martin Shaw at Brunton Park

Mansfield Town’s long unbeaten run came to an end at Carlisle United this afternoon as the Stags went down to a 3-2 defeat. The Stags were unbeaten away from home for 15 games, a club record. And unbeaten home and away for 17 games, the club’s best run since a 20 game unbeaten run in 1976. But Carlisle were on a good run themselves, having won 5 games on the trot including 6-0 against Oldham and 4-0 against Colchester, and were quite simply too good for the Stags on the day as Mansfield can have no complaints with defeat here. Carlisle manager John Sheridan had resigned yesterday and I had hoped that might knock some wind out of the Carlisle sails, but pre-match the Carlisle local media told me that the majority of the Carlisle side (at least 8 of the 11 starters) would be happy to see the back of Sheridan, to completely dispel my theory.

And to prove that point, Carlisle tore out of the traps, taking the lead after just 4 minutes. A quick break saw Jamie Devitt lay off to Ashley Nadesan. Nadesan in turn laid off to Jack Sowerby who was completely unmarked, and he fired into the net from the edge of the D, with a little deflection off Ryan Sweeney’s knee, though I think the shot would have beaten Conrad Logan anyway. Carlisle were within a whisker of making it 2-0 after 12 minutes when Tom Parkes headed inches wide from Danny Grainger’s free kick. And they did make it 2-0 on 26 minutes. Devitt threaded a fabulous ball forward for Nadesan to run on to in the box, Nadesan got away from his marker Sweeney and slid a great ball across the box for Hallam Hope to sweep into the net from 10 yards. Hope had got goalside of his marker Matt Preston. A very well-worked goal from Carlisle, but both Sweeney and Preston could have done better. On 45 minutes, Neal Bishop was caught by a high tackle from Grainger, a nasty tackle that from studying the video could have been a red card for Grainger. Instead the referee just awarded a yellow card to Grainger while Bishop was also shown a yellow card for reacting angrily. As the referee blew for half time, Bishop ran past Grainger into the tunnel and as boss David Flitcroft then described “Grainger has put his face into Bish’s, and Bish has put his face into his, and the referee has deemed it a second yellow for Bishop.” Clearly a mistake from Bishop to put himself in that position and get himself sent off, though Grainger should surely have seen red too but didn’t. Bishop will face a one match ban and miss the game against Yeovil.

Cock-a-hoop Carlisle had outplayed Mansfield in the first half and deservedly led 2-0. Now down to 10 men it looked an impossible task for the Stags to make a game of it. Carlisle were on top for most of the second half, but unable to extend their lead as the Stags worked really hard with 10 men. Somewhat out of the blue, Mansfield pulled a goal back on 78 minutes. Benning dinked a free kick from 40 yards into the box and Preston rose to guide a back header wide of the keeper into the net from 9 yards. Game on from nowhere. But with the Stags committing men forward Carlisle restored the two goal lead on 80 minutes. A clever move as Gillesphey pulled a cross back to Devitt who laid off for Hope who fired into the bottom left corner of the net from 10 yards. Logan made a wonderful save to prevent Hope completing his hat-trick on 84 minutes. And the fighting Stags reduced the arrears to 3-2 on 87 minutes. Jacob Mellis chipped a super ball forward for Hayden White to run onto in the box, great play from White to bundle the ball past the onrushing keeper Adam Collin. White then crossed high more or less along the byline into the middle where Tyler Walker headed into the net from almost under the bar for his 16th goal of the season. The Stags were unable to create another chance though to pull off a miraculous recovery with the hapless referee playing just 3.5 minutes of stoppage time when a minimum of 4 minutes had been indicated.

No argument that Carlisle deserved their win though perhaps with 11 men in the second half Mansfield might have been able to rescue a point in the closing minutes. A disappointing performance overall but only the second defeat of a terrific season so far, and I think there’s more to come from this side, which will hopefully be strengthened this month.

After the game, Stags boss David Flitcroft explained that Nottingham Forest have only until 15th January to recall Tyler Walker should they wish to, after which he cannot be recalled. Flitcroft explained that Forest are very comfortable that Walker is developing well at Mansfield so he is not expecting that to happen but you just never know what can change in football.

With Liverpool’s defeat at Manchester City on Thursday, Mansfield were the only side in the 92 to remain unbeaten away from home this season going into today’s game. Indeed, no other side down to and including step 3 of non league football (that's Evo-Stik Northern Premier league, Evo-Stik Southern Premier league Central, Evo-Stik Southern Premier league South, and Bostik League) were unbeaten away from home either, so Mansfield were the only side in the top 7 tiers of English football. That remarkable record is now gone.

Mansfield made one change from the side that won at Grimsby, with Timi Elsnik coming back in, in place of Danny Rose, so reverting to the side that had drawn with Swindon and beaten Bury and Stevenage prior to that. Carlisle were unchanged from their side that had won at Morecambe. Ashley Nadesan was playing the last game of his loan spell from Fleetwood.



Battling 10-men Mansfield Town see unbeaten away record ended at Carlisle United
chad.co.uk, Saturday 05 January 2019

Ten-man Mansfield Town lost for the first time on the road this season as Carlisle United ran out deserved 3-2 victors at Brunton Park this afternoon The Stags disappointed almost throughout on a miserable day which also saw veteran schemer Neal Bishop sent off after the half-time whistle. Dave Flitcroft’s side slipped to only their second loss of the season anywhere after a somewhat frantic finish, and as a consequence dropped out of the League Two automatic promotion places. The managerless Cumbrians roared into the lead after just four minutes at Brunton Park. Ashley Nadesan turned neatly before playing in Jack Sowerby, and he lashed home precisely into the corner from the edge of the box. The Stags responded with Timi Elsnik volleying over the top from a decent position, but it was the hosts who remained in control in the early stages. Krystian Pearce also fluffed a chance for the Stags, one which was punished as Carlisle extended their lead in the 26th minute. This time Nadesan was again the provider, teeing up Hallam Hope, who buried a shot clinically. The stunned Stags just couldn’t fashion a clear-cut opening. and almost fell three behind just before half-time when Pearce intervened to brilliantly rob Hope just as he was preparing to shoot with only Conrad Logan to beat. The Stags’ predicament certainly wasn’t helped by Bishop’s second yellow card, brandished for something that happened after the end of the first half. Credit to Flitcroft’s depleted side, they continued to battle hard in the early stages of the second period, and Tyler Walker twice went close to halving the deficit. At the other end, the Cumbrians threatened to increase their lead when Jamie Devitt’s looping header dropped inches over the crossbar. Stags fans were given hope with 12 minutes left when Matt Preston headed home Mal Benning’s free-kick, but two minutes later it was 3-1 when Hope notched his second of the game, firing in at the near post. MATCHDAY LIVE: Carlisle United v Mansfield Town Tyler Walker then nodded in to make it 3-2, but the Stags couldn’t complete what would have been an unbelievable late comeback as their unbeaten League Two run was ended at 17 games.

CARLISLE: Collin, Parkes, Liddle, Gerrard, Grainger, Hope (McCarron, 86), Devitt, Gillesphey, Sowerby, Etuhu, Nadesan. Subs not used: Gray, Miller, Kennedy, Jones, Bennett, Slater.

STAGS: Logan, Preston, Pearce, Sweeney (Atkinson, 46), White, Mellis, Elsnik (Rose, 33), Bishop, Benning, Walker, Hamilton. Subs not used: Kean, Khan, Butcher, Law, Graham.

Read more at: https://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/battling-10-men-mansfield-town-see-unbeaten-away-record-ended-at-carlisle-united-1-9522047


Carlisle United survive second-half scare to beat in-form Mansfield and claim a record-breaking sixth straight win
By Thomas Reeves, Carlisle News and Star

The Blues, under caretaker managers Tommy Wright and Paul Murray, led 2-0 at half-time through goals from Jack Sowerby and Hallam Hope.

In the second period, Matt Preston gave the Stags, reduced to 10 men after Neal Bishop's half-time red card, hope, only for Hope to score his second to almost instantly restore the Cumbrians' two-goal lead.

Tyler Walker again cut the deficit to one goal but the Blues held on - and are now on their best run since 2008 when John Ward was manager, having taken maximum points from their last six fixtures.

Carlisle took the lead on four minutes.

On-loan Fleetwood man Sowerby rifled past away goalkeeper Conrad Logan after good build-up play between Jamie Devitt, Hope and Ashley Nadesan.

On 12 minutes, Nadesan earned the Cumbrians a free-kick. Captain Danny Grainger took it and Tom Parkes flicked inches wide of Logan's right-hand post.

Seven minutes later, the visitors had their first chance of any note when a Stags corner was half-cleared and eventually hooked comfortably over the bar by captain Krystian Pearce.

United then doubled their lead in superb fashion with 26 minutes on the clock when Devitt threaded through the Mansfield defence for Nadesan and, despite being off-balance, he crossed for Hope, who slotted into the gaping goal.

Mansfield came close to pulling one back on the half-hour mark, only for Parkes to clear Jacob Mellis' left-wing cross.

Things went from bad to worse for the away team in the second period, with Bishop sent off for a second bookable offence after an altercation with Grainger in the tunnel.

But it was the Stags who had the first chance after the restart when top-scorer Walker cut in off the right and curled over with 49 minutes played.

It was United, though, who were on top with Nadesan and Devitt going close before the hour mark.

On 67 minutes, Macaulay Gillesphey was allowed space to drift through midfield and flashed his shot wide of Logan's right-hand post.

But then Mal Benning’s free-kick found an unmarked Preston who headed past Cumbrians keeper Adam Collin on 78 minutes to give the Stags some hope.

But, moments later, Hope found the bottom corner to restore United's two-goal cushion.

Mansfield were still not done, though, and after Hayden White had beaten Collin to a loose ball, Walker headed home with three minutes of normal time left.

In stoppage-time, substitute Liam McCarron was denied by a save by Logan before Sowerby’s effort was deflected wide for a corner as United held on.

Caretakers Wright and Murray named an unchanged Carlisle starting line-up.

Nadesan played his final match of his loan deal before he is expected to return to Fleetwood on Monday.

Centre-half Anthony Gerrard's current contract also expires after this game, and he started, too.

United came into the match on the back of a New Year's Day 2-0 victory at Morecambe but having been shocked by the resignation of Chesterfield-bound John Sheridan yesterday, with the Spireites today coming from 3-0 down to draw 3-3 at home to Ebbsfleet with Sheridan understood to have been in the stands.

United started the day seventh in League Two on 42 points off 26 league fixtures.

The Stags, managed by David Flitcroft and on a 17-game unbeaten run before kick-off, were in third on 45 points off 24 games.

Carlisle United: Collin, Grainger (c), Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Hope (McCarron 85), Devitt, Gillesphey, Sowerby, Etuhu, Nadesan.

Carlisle unused subs: Gray, Miller, Kennedy, Jones, Bennett, Slater.

Goals: Sowerby (4), Hope (26 and 80).

Mansfield: Logan, White, Benning, Preston, Pearce (c), Bishop, Mellis, Sweeney (Atkinson 45), Walker, Elsnik (Rose 33), Hamilton.

Mansfield unused subs: Kean, Khan, Butcher, Law, Graham.

Goals: Preston (78), Walker (87).

Ref: Robert Lewis.

Crowd: 4,563 (335 away fans).



Latest | January 2019