{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2018

20th December 2018 18:37

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Forest Green Rovers 0 a 0 Mansfield Town
Abandoned at half time.
Attendance: 2514 (281 from Mansfield)

Date: 15 December 2018

Martin Shaw at the New Lawn

Mansfield Town’s game at Forest Green Rovers this afternoon was abandoned at half time with the score at 0-0. It was the right decision from the referee as the first half had been a farce. Rain all morning since 10am, with heavy bursts between 1pm and 2pm, left the pitch with too much water on it. As a result neither side could play flowing football and the best chance at goal came from a backpass which got stuck. There were many areas of the pitch where it was impossible to run with the ball. Indeed there was a comedy moment on 38 minutes when Forest Green’s Reece Brown set off on a pacey run but the ball got stuck in the water as he carried on going with his momentum. Immediately after that, the referee called the captains over for a discussion, and it was a surprise that they carried on playing for a further 7 minutes until half time.

This was the first time the Stags have been involved an abandoned league or cup game for 12 years, since December 2006 in a game at Accrington which was also abandoned at half time (my report here).



Match abandoned: Forest Green 0 - 0 Mansfield Town (Due to a waterlogged pitch)

By Ashley Loveridge AshLoveridgeSNJ


Forest Green’s match against Mansfield Town was called off at half-time after a torrent of rain led to a waterlogged pitch at the New Lawn.

Earlier, on a rain-soaked afternoon of biblical proportions, it was Forest Green who were at it from the get-go - Carl Winchester’s skidding effort demanding a plunging save from Conrad Logan and then Reece Brown skewing wide from the edge of the box.

Mansfield were soaking up the early pressure and Jacob Mellis skipped through the puddles to spank fractionally off target. Rovers’ Robert Sanchez was forced to clutch a looping header from Ryan Sweeney.

The heavens continued to open as the game remained deadlocked. Rovers knocked on the Mansfield door - Dayle Grubb wading through the wet to bend his strike wide of Logan’s post.

At the other end, Rovers’ defence remained watertight.

The conditions presented Rovers an opportunity to take a fortuitous 33rd minute lead. Matt Preston’s back pass stuck like glue on the pitch affording Liam Shepherd the chance to spank a skidder into Logan’s body.

Sanchez denied Tyler Walker a chance to give the Stags a 37th minute lead - the Brighton loanee diving across his goal to tip Walker’s fizzer wide.

Six minutes before the break, and with the players struggling to keep their feet, referee James Linington halted the game to conduct an on field debate. Tools weren’t put down as the game continued.

However, the referee halted the game at the break.

Forest Green (3-5-1-1) Sanchez; McGinley, Gunning; James, Brown, Shephard, Mills, Winchester; Grubb; Reid

Subs: Montgomery, Collins, Williams, Campbell, Archibald, Worthington, Morris

Mansfield: Logan, Preston, Sweeney, Pearce, White, Benning, Bishop, Mellis, Elsnik, Walker, Hamilton.

Subs not used: Kean, Khan, Atkinson, Butcher, Law, Graham, Rose.



Latest | December 2018