{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2018

25th November 2018 22:42

The Emirates FA Cup - Round One replay
Charlton Athletic 5 - 0 Mansfield Town
Taylor 11, 53, 85, Marshall 82, Ajose 90+1.
Attendance: 1910 (291 from Mansfield)

Date: 20 November 2018

Martin Shaw at The Valley

Mansfield Town were knocked out of the Emirates FA Cup by League One Charlton Athletic at The Valley last night in a strange game. The final score was 5-0 to Charlton. Yet for three quarters of this game, it was Mansfield playing all the good football going forward and creating the goalscoring chances, while Charlton scored with the only two attempts they created. Indeed it was a lesson in clinical finishing from Charlton. Charlton took the lead after 11 minutes when former AFC Wimbledon striker Lyle Taylor was razor sharp in knocking the ball into the net from close range, getting in front of Ryan Sweeney, from a cross from Nicky Ajose. Charlton made it 2-0 after 53 minutes, with literally their second chance, as Taylor side-footed in from 13 yards from another pull-back by Ajose. The Stags had been the better side going forward in the first half and should have at least been level, if not in front. Danny Rose had a shot tipped wide by the keeper, CJ Hamilton took too long to shoot when through on goal and was tackled when he did shoot with the ball trickling just wide of the post, Hamilton then hit the post after a magnificent run down the right from Hayden White and low cross to the far post where Hamilton knocked it against the post, and finally Rose cut inside and fired in a shot that was heading for the top corner of the net but was deflected wide. Both sides had a goal disallowed in that first half, and both looked tight with Taylor knocking into the net for Charlton and Hamilton smacking into the corner of the net for Mansfield. After going 2-0 down, it was still the Stags creating the chances, with sub Jordan Graham heading wide from a great cross from Mal Benning and Krystian Pearce firing just over the bar.

Then a moment of genuine farce on 82 minutes led to the scoreline taking an unhealthy look. The referee awarded the Stags a free kick inside the Charlton half. The Stags sent defenders forward. The referee changed his mind and gave the free kick the other way, and didn’t give Mansfield time to regroup. Charlton took the kick quickly, broke to the far end, Toby Stevenson crossed in and sub Mark Marshall scored from close range. Half the Stags team protested to the referee long and hard, with Hayden White booked for doing so. It was an absolute howler from the referee as acknowledged by both managers after the game. Incompetence and stupidity that was really off the scale. There was no problem that he changed his mind with the direction of the free kick, but he had to make sure both teams had time to react to that change of decision. The Stags lost a bit of composure and shape after that and conceded two further goals, the fourth goal a magnificent chip from Lyle Taylor, and the fifth a mistake by Bobby Olejnik when he came out to clear, Ajose got there first and knocked into the net. Once Olejnik came out of his area, he had to get the ball. So in the end something of a lesson in clinical finishing from Charlton, while the Stags continue to create and miss hatfuls of chances. If Mansfield had Lyle Taylor in the squad, you really would fancy them for automatic promotion this season. Obviously Lyle Taylor is not available, but the Stags need to be looking around to try to add a clinical finisher to the forward line in January, if one can possibly be found, which won't be easy to do of course.

After the game, Charlton boss Lee Bowyer said again Mansfield are a good side, as he did after the first game, and said that this wasn't a 5-0 game. He added that Flitcroft should be proud of his team, and Charlton were lucky to get a clean sheet.

The result was the seventh time Mansfield have lost an FA Cup game by 5 goals, and equalled the worst margin of defeat (stats from Paul Taylor).

Mansfield made 4 changes from the first game and from the win over Port Vale. Neal Bishop was out through illness. Craig Davies also missed out having limped off on Saturday. Tyler Walker and Hayden White moved the bench, both rested. In came Elsnik, Rose, Butcher and Atkinson, in a 3-4-3 formation, with Butcher and Hamilton either side of Rose up front, and with Atkinson and Benning as wing-backs. Charlton also made 4 changes from the first game. Former AFC Wimbledon striker Lyle Taylor replaced Grant, Fosu replaced Jamie Ward, Billy Clarke came in for Marshall, and German Patrick Bauer returned from a long injury lay off in place of Maloney. Nicky Ajose was up front with Taylor.

Mansfield move on to a big game on Saturday at Lincoln, second versus fifth. In terms of player availability: Bishop had been ill for a couple of days prior to the game, and did not travel. Flitcroft was hoping he will be ok for Saturday. Craig Davies has had an injection in his ankle and will also hopefully ok for Saturday. Jacob Mellis, who limped off at Charlton, was taken off as a precaution after overstretching. Hopefully he’ll be ok for Saturday too, though it was too soon to judge straight after the game at Charlton.



MATCH REPORT: Battling Stags swept away by late goals rush at Charlton
chad.co.uk report by Agency, Tuesday 20 November 2018

Mansfield Town crashed out of the FA Cup as they lost their first round replay 5-0 at League One high-fliers Charlton Athletic tonight. Dave Flitcroft’s Stags were second best on the night as Lyle Taylor bagged a hat-trick for the hosts, though they did create plenty of chances before the Addicks’ late goals rush ended Stags’ 14-game unbeaten run. Strike partners CJ Hamilton and Danny Rose combined well to carve out an early opportunity for the Stags. Rose was eventually through, before being denied by a smart stop from Addicks’ keeper Dillon Phillips. Minutes later Rose was again thwarted by Phillips from close range. The Addicks then struck after 11 minutes as Taylor was left unmarked and fired home past Bobby Olejnik from close range. Hamilton was particularly lively as the Stags sought to find a leveller before the break. He thought he’d been upended in the Charlton box after 25 minutes, but the referee waved appeals away. After midfield ace Jacob Mellis limped off, substitute Hayden White teed up Hamilton, and this time the Stags’ front man crashed a low shot against the post. Shortly before the interval Hamilton fired the ball into the bottom corner of the net, but his effort was ruled out after he was flagged offside. The Addicks opened the second half purposefully, and went on to double their advantage in the 52nd minute. Nicky Ajose flung in a teasing cross for Taylor, who comfortably slotted home his and his team’s second goal from six yards. The Stags came close to grabbing a swift reply. Should EFL play on through international breaks like rugby does? Calum Butcher found some space as he fired towards goal, but George Lapslie dived in to make a timely block. At the other end Olejnik was alert as he was forced to deny Taylor a hat-trick goal. Ajose also fizzed an effort narrowly wide as the hosts looked to turn the screw - and they ended up netting three times in the last nine minutes to give a lop-sided look to a game that had been much closer earlier. Substitute Mark Marshall finally tucked home a third goal for Charlton on 81 minutes, before Taylor’s cheeky chipped effort sealed a terrific hat-trick on 85 minutes. Ajose then slammed into an unguarded net to make it five in added time and rub salt in Mansfield wounds.

CHARLTON: Phillips, Dijksteel, Baeur (Sarpeng-Wiredu, 62), Stevenson. Sarr, Pratley (Marshall, 66), Lapslie, Clarke (Morgan, 74), Fosu-Henry, Taylor, Ajose. Subs not used: Maynard-Brewer, Grant, Hackett-Fairchild.

MANSFIELD: Olejnik, Sweeney, Pearce, Preston, Atkinson, Elsnik, Benning, Mellis (White, 22), Butcher, Rose (Graham, 61), Hamilton (Walker, 61). Subs not used: Logan, Gibbens, Blake, Law.

ATTENDANCE: 1,910 (291 away).

Read more at: https://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-battling-stags-swept-away-by-late-goals-rush-at-charlton-1-9454005


Charlton made to sweat by Mansfield despite 5-0 scoreline
By Huw Thomas Cross htcross10

A Lyle Taylor inspired Charlton saw off a spirited Mansfield outfit 5-0 to book a home tie with Doncaster in the second round of the FA Cup.

Taylor’s hat-trick and strikes from Mark Marshall and Nicky Ajose sent Lee Bowyer’s side through against their lower league opponents who will feel hard done by as penalty shouts were turned down.

Lyle Taylor was the notable inclusion in a side that had four changes from the draw at Field Mill, included presumably because he’ll be sitting out Saturday’s league tie with Bristol Rovers through suspension.

Wake-up call

The away side, on a 14-game unbeaten run, started the brighter and looked confident in possession. On ten minutes they should have taken the lead, Danny Rose pouncing on a lose ball from Billy Clarke before drawing a great save from Dillon Phillips in the Charlton goal.

This served as a wake-up call for Charlton who soon got in their stride.

Nicky Ajose was set free down the left who squared it for Taylor to slide in front of the defenders to break the deadlock and mute the 290 strong away fans.

Mansfield weren’t deterred by going behind and looked the more likely to level than concede the rest of the half. Mansfield should have had a penalty on 25-minutes, but referee Kevin Johnson waved play-on as Naby Sarr was clearly holding Rose who was a thorn in the Addicks side all game.

David Flitcroft’s side should have been level on 35-minutes. Hayden White showed great pace down the right and delivered a fierce cross across the box which found Rose sliding in at the back post but could only find the outside of the post.

Hamilton thought he’d scored, but a sublime strike from the edge of the box was chalked off for outside. The visitors had settled well after going behind.

Game Changer

The second half was five minutes old and despite the visitors looking the more likely, it was Charlton who doubled their lead.

As the Mansfield defence appealed for off-side for Fosu, Toby Stevenson crept in and fed the now on-side Fosu who squared for Taylor to coolly finish and wrap the tie up. The goal knocked the wind out of the visitors who were arguable the better side throughout.

As the game looked won Bowyer introduced Marshall who quickly got on the scoresheet on 81 minutes sweeping home a Stevenson cross after the awarding of a controversial free-kick in the centre of the park.

Taylor completed his hat-trick in emphatic fashion as an audacious chip from the edge of the box dipped under the bar past the despairing Conrad Logan. A goal that could grace any division in world football.

The scoring was complete in injury time as the keeper was beaten to a long ball by Ajose who was left with a defender on the line to beat.

The night belonged to Taylor though and it served as a reminder to what Bowyer will be missing at the weekend.



Latest | November 2018