{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2018

19th November 2018 18:08

English Football League Trophy - Checkatrade Trophy, group stage
Mansfield Town 3 - 2 Scunthorpe United
Blake 21, Butcher 53, Elsnik 90. Ben El-Mhanni 73, Dales 89.
Attendance: 928 (119 from Scunthorpe)

Date: 13 November 2018

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town had already qualified for the second round of the Checkatrade Trophy before last night’s final group stage game against League One Scunthorpe United at the One Call stadium, and took the opportunity to give starts to five youngsters, including debuts to three, Alistair Smith, Jason Law, and Nyle Blake. It paid handsome dividends as the young Stags pulled off a fantastic 3-2 victory which ensured a home tie in Round 2. Scunthorpe United, who fielded a more experienced side than the Stags, needed a draw to progress, and seemed to have secured that when they scored an equaliser after 89 minutes to make it 2-2. But the Stags went straight to the other and within 30 seconds of the restart, Timi Elsnik scored to make it 3-2. The win earned Mansfield another £10,000, making it £30,000 so far from the 3 victories in this competition. Meanwhile with Scunthorpe going out with this defeat, Lincoln City, the holders of the competition, progressed to Round 2 as group runners-up having not won any of their three group stage matches. The performances of the Stags youngsters were hugely impressive and made it a very proud night for everyone involved with the academy including the under 21 development squad and the under 18s, and perhaps especially John Dempster, Richard Cooper and Mike Whitlow, plus director Steve Hymas and of course owner John Radford who have put so much in behind the scenes. The future of the club looks to be in very safe hands.

Young Nyle Blake put the Stags in front with a terrific goal, as he surged to the edge of the area, before getting a bit of luck as his shot deflected past the keeper from the edge of the area. We had seen Blake’s talent in pre-season games and he showed it again here with a good performance in addition to the goal. Calum Butcher added a second goal after half time, side-footing into the bottom corner of the net from 17 yards. Ben El-Mhanni brought Scunthorpe back into the game with a stroke of luck similar to Blake’s when his shot deflected off Matt Preston past Conrad Logan on 73 minutes, and Scunthorpe levelled on 89 minutes through Dales, before that winner from Elsnik less than a minute later. A standing ovation from the small crowd at the final whistle was just reward for Mansfield at full time. So many encouraging performances. Jason Law really caught the eye with an outstanding debut at left back and then left wing back, barely putting a foot wrong in the 90 minutes. Alistair Smith, also on his debut, grew into the game in midfield looking composed and assured. Blake I’ve already mentioned shone and took some headlines with his goal. Lewis Gibbens had a fine game at centre half with some important blocks. In goal Conrad Logan made a number of good saves, including two outstanding ones. After the game, a beaming Stags boss David Flitcroft admitted Mansfield rode their luck at times in this game with some shots and crosses flashing wide, but was proud of the performance.

The draw for Round 2 is on Friday, from 1pm on TalkSport 2. The Stags know they will be at home to one of the following four teams: Stoke City U21, Bury, Macclesfield, Manchester City U21. Round 2 itself should be on 4th December, another Tuesday, which by then will be Mansfield’s SEVENTH consecutive Tuesday game.

On a statistical note, the attendance of 928 was just less than the 964 who attended against Everton U23 in the Checkatrade Trophy last season, and made this the second lowest at Field Mill for a competitive Stags game, behind 800 against Torquay United on 08 March 1939.



MATCH REPORT: Run goes on as last gasp winner sees Stags finish top of Checkatrade group
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 13 November 2018

Despite 10 changes and letting a 2-0 lead slip, a youthful Mansfield Town made it 13 games unbeaten with a last gasp 3-2 home win over Scunthorpe United in this final Checkatrade Trophy group game. The result saw Stags win the group to secure a home draw in the next round while Timi Elsnik’s 90th minute winner also saw Scunthorpe drop out the top two and hand progress to Lincoln City. Just when Andy Dales looked to have earned the Iron a draw with an 89th minute equaliser, Stags stormed to the other end of the field Timi Elsnik lobbed home the winner to cheers from the second smallest home attendance ever for Mansfield - 928 fans. A goal on his full debut by Nyle Blake had Mansfield ahead at the break and Calum Butcher made it 2-0 early in the second half. But Scunthorpe created a lot of chances, with the Stags defence and Conrad Logan asked many questions, and they finally pulled one back through Yasin Ben El-Mhanni on 73 minutes to set up the thrilling finish. All Stags youngsters impressed with Alistair Smith particularly eye-catching in central midfield. They were all backed professionally by the senior players, who all grafted hard to make sure the run went on. Mansfield made 10 changes with only central defender Ryan Sweeney in the side from Sunday’s FA Cup tie. There were three full debuts for wing back Blake, Jason Law and midfielder Alistair plus starts for fellow youngsters Jordan Graham and Lewis Gibbens. Boss David Flitcroft also named a very youthful bench with just three seniors pros on there. The Scunthorpe side also showed eight changes from Saturday, with just Cameron Burgess, Rory McArdle and Lewis Butroid remaining in the starting XI. Stags began the night 4-3-3 with Law at right back and Blake and Graham flanking Rose up front. Amid an almost silent atmosphere, Scunthorpe were first to threaten on five minutes when Blake lost the ball near the right corner flag and Butroid drilled a low ball across goal where Wootton was inches away from turning home. Notts County sack Harry Kewell after just ten weeks in charge Wootton fired wide of the the goal from the right a minute later. Stags began to get into the game and Elsnik had a deflected shot fly comfortably to keeper Flatt. A mistake on 13 minutes by Elsnik let the visitors in with Dales breaking away, Logan blocking his finish and Gibbens doing really well to get in the way of Wootton’s follow-up. Then Humphreys was too high from 18 yards for the Iron. On 20 minutes Lewis tried to catch Logan out with a curling free kick aimed to beat him at his near post, but he was alert to turn it round. Instead Stags were ahead on 21 minutes. Blake was allowed to run to the edge of the box and his shot took a huge deflection to beat the unlucky Flatt. On 26 minutes the Stags goal survived again as Logan saved a powerful Ojo blast with Wootton deemed offside as Logan tipped over his dipping follow-up header. Another United attack saw Rose back making a good clearance just in front of goal, the ball reaching Wootton who pulled a low shot wide. Then a Ben El-Mhanni shot was deflected but flew straight to Logan as Stags went in ahead. United almost made a perfect start to the second half as Dales came inside from the left and saw his 20 yard shot cannon back off the bar. A minute later Ben El-Mhanni let fly from the same distance and Logan had to turn it over as the visitors made a front foot start to the half. Goalscorer Blake made way for Benning on 52 minutes as Stags went three at the back. And Mansfield doubled their lead on 53 minutes. The visitors cleared a ball into the box as far as Elsnik who sent a fine pass to Butcher, just inside the box in a central position, and he delivered a calm, accurate right-footed finish to the right of the keeper. It should have been 3-0 on 56 minutes as Graham’s excellent ball across the box gave Rose a clear sight of goal, Flatt getting himself in the way to block. A mazy run by Dales bought him acres of space on 64 minutes only to see him pull his low finish wide from 12 yards. Burgess was booked for taking out Graham on 66 minutes. There were chances at both ends as Logan saved well to his left from Humphrys’ potshot and then Graham fired over as Benning’s decoy run to his left created the space. However, the Iron were back in the contest on 73 minutes as Ben El-Mhanni tried his luck just outside the box and saw his shot take a deflection and loop past Logan. Logan was down again seconds later to hold Ojo’s long range shot, then Humphreys was too high as the visitors searched for an equaliser. Former Leicester youngster Fielding was given his Stags debut with a with four minutes to go in place of Rose. But on 89 minutes the visitors were level as defence-splitting pass down the centre found Dales, who slotted coolly under Logan. However, a minute later the Stags edged back ahead as Elsnik burst into the box on the right and lifted a finish over the keeper which Pugh, in trying to clear it, could only help it into the net for a glorious late winner.

STAGS: Logan; Atkinson, Sweeney (Preston HT), Gibbens; Law, Elsnik, Smith, Butcher, Blake (Benning 52); Rose (Fielding 86), Graham. Subs: Olejnik, Bircumshaw, Godden, Sinclair.

SCUNTHORPE: Flatt, Ojo, Horsfield, Humphrys, Dales, Lewis (Pugh 86), Ben El-Mhanni, Burgess, McArdle, Wootton, Butroid. Subs: Alnwick, Borthwick-Jackson, Perch, Colclough.

REFEREE: Ross Joyce of Cleveland. ATTENDANCE: 928 (119 away).


Read more at: https://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-run-goes-on-as-last-gasp-winner-sees-stags-finish-top-of-checkatrade-group-1-9443132


Report: Mansfield Town 3-2 Iron

United were beaten 3-2 by Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium, in a defeat which means they exit the Checkatrade Trophy at the group stage.

Yasin Ben El-Mhanni and Andy Dales were on target as Scunthorpe fought back from 2-0 down, but the hosts got a late winner and we consequently exit the competition.

The Iron entered the game making eight changes from the side that defeated Burton Albion 2-1 in the FA Cup first round at the weekend, with just Cameron Burgess, Rory McArdle and Lewis Butroid retaining their places in the team.

The first chance of the game came the Stags’ way in the opening minute, but Danny Rose’s long-range strike left goalkeeper Jonathan Flatt untroubled in the Scunthorpe goal.

Three minutes later, Butroid won a tackle on the edge of the Mansfield box and sent a cross in for Kyle Wootton, who stretched but couldn’t get on the end of the cross from his fellow academy product.

With 13 minutes on the clock, Dales made a good run through the middle and was picked out with a brilliant forward pass. The winger closed in on goal, but the outstretched boot of Stags goalkeeper Conrad Logan denied him, before the follow-up by Wootton was deflected wide.

On 16 minutes, Dales did well again, this time down the right flank. He cut inside and played the ball to Ben El-Mhanni, who linked up with Funso Ojo and Clayton Lewis in midfield to present Humphrys with a chance to shoot. However, the striker fired just over the crossbar.

Four minutes later, Scunthorpe came close again as Lewis tried his luck with a free-kick from the right wing. He almost caught Logan out but the shotstopper got back to claw away the New Zealander’s effort.

Just moments later, the home side took the lead when Nyle Blake received the ball on the left side of the 18-yard box and he cut inside before seeing his strike deflected beyond the grasp of Flatt and into the net.

In the 24th minute, United attacked through Ojo who advanced forward and drilled a shot forward which was parried away by Logan. Wootton latched onto the rebound but his header looped onto the top of the crossbar and went over, although the referee did blow for offside too.

United continued to press, bringing routine saves from Logan from range on occasions and, on 38 minutes, Stephen Humphrys showed neat feet down the left-hand side to go past his man and sent a cross to the back post. Wootton rose highest to win the ball and headed back across goal, but nobody could get a touch to divert it goalwards. The crosses continued to be sent into the box but the hosts stood firm.

With 45 minutes on the clock, Lewis played a nice ball inside to Ojo, who then spread it out wide to Butroid. The full-back delivered a low cross into the area, but it was steered away at the back post.

United kicked off the second-half with a bang as Dales received the ball on the edge of the area and fizzed an effort against the crossbar. Shortly afterwards, McArdle’s header was gathered by Logan as United stepped up the pressure.

Then Ben El-Mhanni found space just outside the 18-yard box and his strike was tipped over the crossbar by Logan.

However, the hosts extended their lead on 53 minutes as Calum Butcher got the ball just inside the Iron 18-yard box after a set-piece was only partly cleared and placed his effort beyond the reach of Flatt.

Soon after, the United shotstopper had to be quick to stop the threat of Danny Rose, who had been played in down the right.

With 59 minutes on the clock, Wootton closed down a Logan clearance and the ball hit the Scunthorpe striker but went wide of goal.

Dales probed forward four minutes later and moved from left to right of the 18-yard box before sending the ball across goal and beyond Logan, but just past the post too.

Next to come close for the Iron was Humphrys on 67 minutes, who took the ball, produced a couple of step-overs and ran forward with it before driving a low strike towards Logan’s bottom left-hand corner, but the goalkeeper tipped it wide.

Two minutes later, the hosts’ Jordan Graham cut inside from the left and fizzed his shot over the crossbar.

Scunthorpe pulled a goal back in the 73rd minute when Ben El-Mhanni received the ball just inside the area and pushed forward with the ball before striking a shot that took a deflection and beat Logan before nestling into the left corner of the net.

A minute later, the ball broke for Ojo on the edge of the area and his drive was saved by Logan, diving down low to his right.

Sensing the opportunity to get an equaliser, Scunthorpe carried on pressing forward and the ball almost broke for Dales, but a Stags player got back just to stop him getting through.

With eight minutes remaining, the ball landed invitingly at the feet of Humphrys from 25 yards. He took aim but struck the ball over the crossbar.

In the 89th minute, Ben El-Mhanni played Dales in and the attacker progressed into the Mansfield box before sending his effort past Logan as Scunthorpe levelled.

However, just seconds later and with the next attack, Timi Elsnik was played in down the right side of the area and clipped his effort beyond an onrushing Flatt. Tom Pugh, making his debut as a substitute, tried to hook the ball away as it was heading over the goal line but he couldn’t prevent it from going in.

The Iron pressed forward late on but couldn’t find another equaliser and exited the competition.

We return to action when we face Bristol Rovers away in League One on Saturday.

Mansfield Town: Logan, Atkinson, Sweeney (Preston, 45), Gibbens, Law, Elsnik, Smith, Butcher, Blake (Benning, 52), Rose (Fielding, 86), Graham.
Substitutes not used: Olejnik, Bircumshaw, Gooden, Sinclair.

Scunthorpe United: Flatt, Ojo, Horsfield, Humphrys, Dales, Lewis (Pugh, 86), Ben El-Mhanni, Burgess, McArdle, Wootton, Butroid.
Substitutes not used: Alnwick, Borthwick-Jackson, Perch, Colclough.

Attendance: 928 (119 away).


Mansfield Town 3 Scunthorpe United 2: The Iron knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy after conceding late on
Goals from the impressive Yasin Ben El-Mhanni and Andy Dales were not enough to see the Iron progress
By Charlie Wilson


Scunthorpe United have been knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy after conceding late on.

Goals from the impressive Yasin Ben El-Mhanni and Andy Dales brought them back into the game after going two down, but a late goal from Timi Elsnik, which may go down as a Tom Pugh own goal has confirmed their fate in this tourament.

Stuart McCall made eight changes to his Scunthorpe side with the defence remaining virtually intact with McArdle, Burgess and Butroid retaining their starting positions from Saturday.

New signing Yasin Ben El-Mhanni made his debut after joining the club as a free agent.

The Iron made a good start to the game and were on the front foot as Andy Dales looked to slide Kyle Wootton through on goal, but Logan read the danger well.

The striker had an even better chance a few minutes later, as Lewis Butroid won the ball deep in Mansfield’s half. He smashed his cross across the face of the goal, which had too much pace for Wootton to reach it.

The Iron’s best chance of the half came moments later when Dales was slid through one-on-one, but Logan got down well to make the save as he parried it towards Wootton who missed an open target from a tough angle.

Scunthorpe had plenty of chances in the first-half but could not divert and were soon made to pay.

Nyle Blake received the ball on the left hand side, before cutting onto his right and taking aim. His shot was deflected by McArdle and completely wrong-footed Jon Flatt to give the home side the lead.

Soon after the opening goal, Scunthorpe should have equalised. Funso Ojo’s shot was parried towards Wootton who headed first time when he probably could have got it under control and tapped home. His header hit the top of the crossbar.

In the second-half, the Iron nearly scored after just 45 seconds when Dales received the ball on the left, cutting back onto his right foot and rattling the bar from 20 yards out.

However, on the 52 minute the hosts doubled their advantage.

Scunthorpe failed to clear their lines following a corner and the ball found its way to Calum Butcher who rolled the ball past the outstretched Flatt.

Mansfield nearly found themselves three goals up when Danny Rose was able to get in behind Butroid, but Flatt made himself big and made the save.

Excellent solo work from Andy Dales near gave the Iron a goal back.

He was able to work his way into the box and tried to place it into the bottom corner, but it just grazed the post.

The Iron were beginning to probe as Humphrys went close from 20 yards out.

They eventually pulled one back on the 74 minute, and it was the man on debut who found the back of the net.

El-Mhanni picked up the ball about 30 yards from goal and beat two defenders before checking back onto his left foot and finding the bottom corner via a deflection.

The Iron equalised when El-Mhanni slid the ball through to Dales and he slotted home.

However, the Stags regained the lead just a minute later when Elsnik lifted the ball over Flatt and Pugh failed to clear and diverted the ball into his own goal.

The Iron could not find a late equaliser and fell to defeat, subsequently being knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy.

Mansfield Town: Logan, Atkinson, Sweeney (Preston, 45), Gibbens, Law, Elsnik, Smith, Blake (Benning, 51), Butcher, Graham, Rose (Fielding, 85)

Subs: Olejnik, Bircumshaw, Gooden, Sinclair

Scunthorpe United: Flatt, Horsfield, McArdle, Burgess, Butroid, Yasin, Ojo, Lewis (Pugh, 85), Dales, Humphrys, Wootton

Subs: Alnwick, Perch, Colclough

Attendance: 928 (119)



Latest | November 2018