{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2018

12th November 2018 20:55

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 2 - 1 Grimsby Town
Walker 50, 82. Benning OG 36
Attendance: 4118 (544 from Grimsby)

Date: 6 November 2018

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town came from a goal behind to beat Grimsby Town 2-1 at the One Call Stadium this evening, with two more goals from Tyler Walker, and that propelled the Stags into the play-off positions, and just three points behind third place with 17 games gone this season. Walker now has 5 goals in the last 3 games, and 12 for the season in all competitions. It was just reward for the Stags who yet again created, and missed, a hatful of chances.

The Stags were frustrated to be behind at the break after missing some glorious early chances as Danny Rose was 1-on-1 with the keeper from 12 yards but the keeper made a good save with his legs, then a great pull-back from the byline by Rose to Walker 10 yards from goal with just the keeper to beat but Walker’s first touch let him down. Walker just shot over the bar, Jacob Mellis had a powerful low shot well-saved, Timi Elsnik also forced a good save from the keeper, and Elsnik then created a chance for Walker who turned well but shot wide. Meanwhile Grimsby took the lead on 36 minutes following a throw-in that was awarded to Grimsby after a foul throw by Matt Preston. The throw-in from Hendrie found Wes Thomas, who turned Krystian Pearce and played a low ball across, underneath Bobby Olejnik towards the far post where it was turned into his own net by Mal Benning. Hard to tell whether it was going wide, it probably was, just, so it is an own goal for Benning. Poor all round from Mansfield, though credit to Thomas for his turn. Grimsby only had one other chance when Thomas headed goalwards from a corner, and his own player turned it wide almost from the goalline.

The Stags changed shape at the break to four at the back, for the third game in a row at half time. It was a 4-2-4 formation, throwing everything at Grimsby. And it paid off handsomely. The Stags were level on 50 minutes. Mellis’s corner from the left was cleared to Benning, who fed the ball back to Mellis, who whipped in a sensational cross that Walker met with a flying volley into the net from 6 yards. The winning goal, on 82 minutes, was just as good as CJ Hamilton skinned his full back on the left and put in a perfect ball from the byline to the far post where Walker got away from his marker to head in from 5 yards. The Stags dominated the second half and could have had more goals with Craig Davies firing wide, Walker having a shot deflected just wide, Rose headed against the top of the bar, and then in the final minute Walker set up sub Jordan Graham whose fine effort was brilliantly saved by the keeper. Grimsby didn’t register an effort on or off target in the second half, though it was still nervy with the Stags looking for victory. Some great performances in the Stags side, with Walker getting the headlines again for his goals, but my man of the match goes to Jacob Mellis who was sensational especially in the second half and really got the Stags firing on all cylinders. Special credit also to CJ Hamilton for his fabulous work for the winner. Credit also to James McKeown in the Grimsby goal who pulled off several outstanding saves on the night to keep the score down. Overall a dominant performance from Mansfield a well-deserved win.

The Stags take a break from the league with an FA Cup tie against Charlton on Sunday lunchtime followed by the Checkatrade Trophy against Scunthorpe on Tuesday, both games at the One Call Stadium. It is Charlton’s first visit to Mansfield for 40 years on Sunday, and I’m expecting an excellent game, with two sides who like to play good football.



MATCH REPORT: Walker at the double again as Stags beat Grimsby
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 06 November 2018

Striker Tyler Walker continued to be the man of the moment as his brace saw Mansfield Town overturn an interval deficit to beat visiting Grimsby Town 2-1 to move into the play-off places tonight. That made it 12 for the season and five goals in three games for the young Forest loanee as Mansfield deservedly extended their unbeaten run to 11 games in the end. But Grimsby made them work hard for it. The struggling Mariners rode their luck and had keeper James McKeown to thank for some good goalkeeping in the first half when they led at the break through a Mal Benning own goal. But Mansfield, with Jacob Mellis and Neal Bishop in superb form in midfield and CJ Hamilton running riot down the wing, stuck at it and Walker levelled just after the break before snatching the winner eigtht minu6tes from time. It was a third defeat in a row for the visitors while for Mansfield it was a win in the first of four successive home matches. The Stags side showed just one change with Ryan Sweeney restored to the back three in place of Hayden White. Lofted forward by Grimsby keeper McKeown almost straight from the kick-off, Cook lifted a hopeful long range effort over the home bar in the opening seconds. But on three minutes when a tackle on Walker saw the ball break in the box for Rose, the striker was one-on-one with McKeown only to see him block with his legs. Mellis was wide with a low 30-yarder soon after from a free kick routine. The visitors responded with a couple of corners, Collins flashing a shot over from the second of them on seven minutes. On nine minutes a superb chipped pass from Mellis sent Rose into space on the left. He squared to an unmarked Walker 10 yards from goal, but the keeper was quickly off his line to prevent the finish. A loose pass from Benning set up the visitors for an attack that ended with Preston blocking Cook’s attempt. Mansfield Town now in true position in table... Oldest living Mansfield Town player passes... Walker tried to find the Grimsby top right corner with a 20-yard curler on 16 minutes and wasn’t too far over. When Stags’ first corner was fed back to taker Elsnik, he picked out Walker at the near post, but his header was inches over the angle. When Elsnik was pulled back after picking up a loose ball on 24 minutes play was waved on and he played it to Mellis, who saw McKeown get down well to thwart his attempt to beat him low at his near post. Three minutes late a Mellis corner went goalwards off Sweeney’s leg and Famewo cleared off the line. Grimsby had a rare chance on 34 minutes when Cook curled in a delicious low cross from the right and the ball skidded inches away from the boot of the incoming Thomas in front of goal. However, Mansfield were behind on 36 minutes through a Benning own goal. Thomas drove to the left by-line and drilled in a low shot which deflected at Benning, almost on the line, and off him into the net. Elsnik’s snapshot forced McKeown into another save two minutes later as Stags tried to bite back immediately. Then Walker was wide from 20 yards. And sent a diving header wide seconds later. Stags continued to press and Walker turned well onto an Elsnik cross, but whipped his finish wide as Stags somehow went in behind. Stags made a double change at the break with Elsnik and Preston replaced by Davies and White. Davies had an immediate chance but wanted too long to finish and was crowded out. But Walker hauled Mansfield level on 50 minutes. Mellis’ corner was half-cleared and fed back to him by Benning. He whipped it is superbly to the near post and Walker raced in to direct it home high into the net from close range. On the hour a superb searching pass from Mellis sent Davies into space on the left. But his finish was wide of the far post. Grimsby sent on Embleton and he was quickly yellow-carded for time-wasting at a free kick. Walker was so unlucky on 69 minutes when his 20 yard shot took a huge deflection wide with the keeper helpless, Sweeney heading the resulting corner over. With 12 minutes to go Mellis sent in a cross from the left and Rose jumped well to send a header into the top of the crossbar. But Stags were finally and deservedly ahead with eight minutes to go. Hamilton skipped to the left by-line and lifted up a perfect far post cross where an unmarked Walker buried his close range header. Mansfield finished strongly and Walker had another good shot saved while young sub Graham saw the keeper stretch out a hand to deny his deft flick.

STAGS: Olejnik; Sweeney, Pearce, Preston (White HT); Hamilton, Bishop, Elsnik (Davies HT), Mellis, Benning; Rose (Graham 80), Walker. Subs not used: Logan, Smith, Atkinson, Butcher.

GRIMSBY: McKeown, Hall-Johnson, Famewo, Collins, Hendrie, M. Rose, Hessenthaler, Woolford (A. Rose 83) Cook (Vernam 71), Pringle (Embleton 63), Thomas. Subs not used: Dixon, Welsh, Clifton, Russell.

REFEREE: Keith Stroud of Hampshire. ATTENDANCE: 4,118 (544 away). CHAD STAGS MAN OF THE MATCH: Jacob Mellis.

Read more at: https://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-walker-at-the-double-again-as-stags-beat-grimsby-1-9431439


Mansfield Town 2-1 Grimsby Town REPORT as Tyler Walker brace settles the scores
Nottingham Forest loanee Tyler Walker scores twice in the second half as Grimsby Town fall to Mansfield Town defeat

By Liam Wood

Grimsby Town slipped to a third League Two defeat in ten days after Mansfield Town came from behind to win 2-1 this evening.

An own goal from Mal Benning put the visitors in front, but the Stags equalised just five minutes after half-time through Tyler Walker.

And it was the Nottingham Forest loanee who grabbed the winner, too, nodding home eight minutes from time.

Having made just one change at the weekend, boss Michael Jolley switched things around prior to kick-off at Field Mill.

Akin Famewo, Jake Hessenthaler, Martyn Woolford and Jordan Cook all came into the starting XI, with Alex Whitmore missing out through injury and Harry Clifton one of those dropping to the bench.

Heavy traffic on the M1 delayed some fans as they made their way to the stadium, and they would have been hoping for an early goal to make up for it.

It almost came, too, but it would have been at the wrong end.

Danny Rose found himself one on one with James McKeown after a pass deflected kindly into his path, but the striker was ultimately thwarted by Town’s long serving number one.

McKeown promptly raced off his line to stop Walker in his tracks, soon after Danny Collins had blazed over from a corner.

As the clock ticked by, Jacob Mellis fizzed an effort on target, but McKeown was yet again equal to the task.

Wes Thomas then saw his header - from a Ben Pringle corner - cleared off the line, but the opener wasn’t too long in coming.

Thomas drifted past his man and into the area, but while his initial effort was saved, it was inadvertently turned into the Stags net by Benning.

It didn’t matter who was credited with the goal, though, as Town were in front, and they still were at the break.

Mansfield hit back instantly after the restart when one of two half-time substitutes, Craig Davies, picked out Walker, who made no mistake to level the scores.

Clear-cut opportunities were at a premium in the second half, but having been on top for much of the game, the Stags went on to register a late winner through that man Walker again, who heading home an inviting cross to send his side into the Play-Off places.

It’s now three straight defeats in League Two for the Mariners, who welcome MK Dons to Blundell Park in the FA Cup on Saturday (3pm).


Tyler Walker shows what could have been for Grimsby Town as James McKeown shines again
Sports writer James Findlater takes a closer look at last night's 2-1 defeat to Mansfield Town in League Two

By James Findlater


Grimsby Town suffered their third straight defeat away from home in League Two last night as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at Mansfield Town.

Tyler Walker’s second half double secured the three points for the Stags after Mal Bennings’ own goal had given the Mariners the lead at Field Mill.

Sports writer James Findlater takes a look at what we learned from last night’s clash in Nottinghamshire.

Last summer, Tyler Walker’s name was continually linked with a move on-loan to Grimsby Town.

The reports went back and forth, it seemed like he may make the move, then it looked like it was off, and in the end nothing came of the speculation - although then-manager Russell Slade did confirm that the Nottingham Forest youngster ‘fitted the bracket’ for the sort of striker he was after.

A year on, and Walker is now turning out for Mansfield - and last night would have proved a bitter pill to swallow for many Town fans.

The 22-year-old’s second half double ultimately won the game for the Stags after Bennings’ opening own goal.

He took his first of the evening superbly as he volleyed home from Craig Davies’ cross, while his second had all the marks of a classic poacher as he sneaked in at the back post to head home.

Missing out on a player and then seeing him score against your side is hard to take at the best of times - but when your team is struggling for goals, you can’t help but wonder what might have been.

It’s not too often a goalkeeper gets a nomination for the Player of the Month award - but James McKeown’s nod won’t have come as a surprise to any Mariner.

The long-serving stopper has been in sparkling form in recent weeks, playing a huge hand in Town’s superb run during October as they kept four clean sheets in a row.

And the 29-year-old once again demonstrated his importance to the Mariners with another outstanding display at Field Mill.

Although the visitors ultimately lost 2-1, they really had their keeper to thank for keeping them in the game early on with some quick-thinking to deny Walker and Danny Rose.

Even when the game appeared to be gone and it was just a matter of time before the referee blew his whistle, McKeown was in no mood to concede again as he pulled off an unbelievable save to prevent Jordan Graham from furthering the lead.

So good was his effort in clawing away the substitute’s volley that it even drew some appreciative applause from the home fans - and McKeown deserved at least a point for his performance alone.



Latest | November 2018