{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2018

26th September 2018 23:57

Reserves report: Doncaster Rovers 1-5 Stags
mansfieldtown.net, Tuesday 18 September 2018

A strong Stags’ lineup ran out 5-1 winners over Doncaster Rovers reserves at Keepmoat Stadium in this afternoon’s Central League clash.

Despite conceding early to Alfie Beestin’s thunderous effort, goals from Otis Khan, Calum Butcher, Jordan Graham, Danny Rose and CJ Hamilton meant that Mansfield emerged from the contest as dominant victors.

This afternoon’s squad consisted entirely of first team players, who produced a strong performance ahead of this weekend’s fixture away to Cambridge United.


It was not the ideal start for the Stags, who went behind in the fourth minute after Beestin’s powerful effort across goal found the top corner.

Mansfield, who were led by first team manager David Flitcroft and assistant manager Ben Futcher this afternoon, responded positively from going a goal down by winning a corner almost immediately from the game’s restart.

Defender Lewis Gibbens headed towards goal from Khan’s delivery, yet saw the ball inadvertently blocked by the back of Krystian Pearce.

Graham had a chance to equalise when he met Hayden White’s temcross, though his strike lacked the required power to trouble Ian Lawlor in the Doncaster goal.

Soon after, Khan pulled the trigger from just outside the area and saw his effort blocked by Prior.

Alex MacDonald’s tempting delivery was met by Graham, who hooked his volley over the bar 12 yards from goal.

As the game approached the 30-minute mark, Stags had a succession of chances, with two openings falling to Rose. The striker’s first hit stung the palms of Lawlor, before his second stab at goal was well blocked.

Graham almost found himself with a fortunate equaliser, as he saw the ball fly wide of the mark after getting a toe to the Rovers’ goalkeeper’s attempted clearance.

Stags found themselves creating the majority of opportunities in the first-half, but centre-back Matt Preston had to be alert ten minutes from half-time when he reacted quickly to scoop Paul Taylor’s effort off the line.

Four minutes later, Mansfield had their equaliser. A low cross from the right by Rose found Khan lurking in the area, who took a touch before applying the finish low into the corner.

Stags did not sit back after finding their goal, with Graham almost giving his side the lead when his effort was well blocked by a Doncaster defender.

This would be the last action of an eventful first-half in which Flitcroft’s side were largely dominant.

The manager made five changes at the break, with Ryan Sweeney, Hamilton, Timi Elsnik, Butcher and Omari Sterling-James replacing Pearce, White, Neal Bishop, MacDonald and Khan.

The hosts crafted the first chance of the second-half when Alfie May broke through on goal, yet Stags’ ‘keeper Conrad Logan rushed out to the feet of the attacker to prevent his effort.

Logan’s stop would prove to be vital, as Mansfield took the lead just a minute later through Butcher. Elsnik’s pass fell perfectly into the path of the midfielder, who confidently fired low and hard to the far corner.

The Mansfield no.1 was called into action soon after the Stags found their second goal, as he once again produced a smart save to deny May. Moments later, Jermaine Anderson’s strike looked to be heading into the far corner, but Logan dived to his left and produced a solid save to preserve his side’s one-goal lead.

Mal Benning looked to volley in from range, but sliced his audacious effort and saw it collected by Lawlor.

Graham notched a third for the Stags 20 minutes from time. Sterling-James’ pass found the striker who took two touches before rounding the ‘keeper, sliding the ball into the empty net.

The forward went close to doubling his tally when he flashed a strike wide 18 yards from goal.

Before long, it was four for the Stags. Butcher’s hit was prevented by a smart save from Lawlor, which fell into the path of Rose, who made no mistake in poking the ball home.

It was so nearly five when Butcher received possession just outside the area, before seeing his dipping effort clatter the crossbar.

Mansfield were awarded a penalty in their next attack after Hamilton was fouled in the area, prompting referee Gareth Myers to point to the spot. Benning stepped up, but was unlucky as he saw his spot-kick hit the outside of the post.

Hamilton went close as he saw his strike flash wide of the near post after cutting in on his favoured left-foot.

Logan preserved Mansfield’s three-goal advantage with a fine save from substitute Max Watters’ powerful volley.

Sterling-James found space on the edge of the area, and saw his left-footed shot go just wide.

In the 86th minute, Hamilton gave Mansfield their fifth of the afternoon. Benning turned provider on the right-hand side of the area with his clever flick, which the winger controlled in his stride, before finishing to the near post.

Sterling-James went close to adding a sixth goal for the Stags with his audacious effort from 40 yards, but saw his lob land on the roof of Lawlor’s net.

It was a dominant performance by the Stags, especially in the second-half, and a worthwhile exercise for the first team players ahead of their fixture away at Cambridge United in Sky Bet League Two on Saturday.

STAGS’ XI: Logan, White (Hamilton 46’), Preston, Pearce (Sweeney 46’), Gibbens, Benning, Bishop (Elsnik 46’), MacDonald (Butcher 46’), Khan (Sterling-James 46’), Graham, Rose.


DONCASTER XI: Lawlor, Lund, Amos (Foulkes 68’), Prior, T. Anderson, Horton, J. Anderson, Beestin, May (Watters 59’), Taylor, Kiwomya (Longbottom 59’).

UNUSED SUBS: Fletcher, James.


Doncaster Rovers U23s 1 Mansfield Town U23s 5: Heavy defeat against strong Stags side
doncasterfreepress.co.uk, by LIAM HODEN, Tuesday 18 September 2018

Rovers’ U23s were swept aside by a strong Mansfield Town outfit in a 5-1 defeat at the Keepmoat. Six of those starting for the Stags also started for their senior side in their weekend defeat to Exeter City in League Two, as did three of those they brought off the bench in the second half.

Rovers also started with plenty of senior players all aiming to put themselves in first team contention.

Read more at: https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-u23s-1-mansfield-town-u23s-5-heavy-defeat-against-strong-stags-side-1-9355264

It had started brightly for Rovers with Alfie Beestin giving them the lead just three minutes in. The ball sat up nicely after being tossed around the box and the young forward drilled into the far corner from on the angle. Rovers were bright and energetic in the early stages, demonstrating some fine passing play and flooding men forward. Why Your Organisation Needs to Master the Hybrid Cloud Hybrid cloud allows the highest degree of agility and the best control of your data. Here's how you can unlock the hidden potential of your business. Promoted by Sponsored by Net App But experienced Mansfield began to get a grip on the game as the midpoint of the half approach. Jordan Graham volleyed narrowly over from Hayden White's superb cross as the visitors threatened. Paul Taylor should have doubled Rovers’ tally on the half hour but Mansfield keeper Conrad Logan got just enough on the ball as the forward attempted to round him to take it wide. Mansfield’s pressure finally told on 36 minutes when Otis Khan finished smartly from close range. The Stags went ahead early in the second half when substitute pairing Timi Elsnik and Callum Butcher combined for the latter to drill a shot under Ian Lawlor. Rovers were almost level moments later. Alex Kiwomya superbly touched on a ball forward from Beestin to send Alfie May clear but Logan charged down his shot well. Jermaine Anderson also drew a decent save from Logan with a shot from the edge of the box. But Mansfield gave themselves a cushion 20 minutes from time ??????when Jordan Graham latched onto Omari Sterling-James’ through ball, rounded Lawlor and slotted into an empty net. As Rovers’ heads dropped, the floodgates opened and Danny Rose tapped in from close range three minutes later after Lawlor parried a strike from Butcher. Mansfield were then awarded a penalty when Branden Horton dragged down CJ Hamilton only for Lawlor to touch Mal Benning’s spot kick onto the post. The Stags did find time for a fifth in the dying moments when Benning found Hamilton to slot in.

Rovers: Lawlor; Lund, T Anderson, Horton, Amos (Foulkes 68); Beestin, Prior, J Anderson; Kiwomya (Longbottom 60), May (Watters (60), Taylor. Subs not used: Fletcher, James.

Mansfield: Logan, White, Benning, Gibbens, Pearce, Preston, Bishop, MacDonald, Khan, Rose, Graham. Subs: Sterling-James, Butcher, Sweeney, Hamilton, Elsnik. Referee: Gareth Myers.


Rovers Development 1 Mansfield Town Reserves 5

Doncaster Rovers Development side were beaten at the Keepmoat Stadium in their second Central League North game of the season, despite taking the lead early on against a strong Mansfield Town side.

The Stags fielded a squad entirely made up of first team players, with nine of the side that started their game at the weekend in League Two either starting or on the bench. They were also led by first-team manager David Flitcroft.

But the young Rovers side took the lead just three minutes in, with Alfie Beestin making it two goals in as many games for John Schofield’s side.

Paul Taylor’s ball through was deflected by Lewis Gibbens into the path of Beestin who powerfully struck home into the far top corner, leaving Conrad Logan with no chance and putting Rovers into the lead.

Beestin almost doubled his and Rovers' tally just five minutes later, with Alex Kiwomya pulling the ball back for Beestin, however his curling effort was deflected just past the far post.

Ian Lawlor would do his best to keep Rovers ahead just short of the half-hour mark, twice denying Danny Rose in quick succession from close range.

Taylor then should have doubled Rovers lead himself five minutes later, as he received the ball through from Alfie May before rounding Logan.

Taylor cut back onto his right foot with Logan on the floor, but his shot was blocked superbly on the line by Matt Preston - and it would be a block that would prove to be crucial not long afterwards for his side.

Rose dispossessed Cody Prior of the ball 30 yards out from goal before darting down the right flank, pulling the ball back for Otis Khan who was in plenty of space in the Rovers’ box.

Khan kept his composure and fired low into the corner past Lawlor to bring the Stags level with seven minutes left in the half.

The Stags made five changes at the break, and their fresh legs after the interval paid dividends as they took the lead for the first time in the game, with substitutes Timi Elsnik and Callum Butcher combining for the latter to slot underneath Lawlor.

Elsnik would be involved in the Stags’ third goal as he threaded the ball through for Jordan Graham who ghosted through the Rovers defence before rounding Lawlor, leaving him with the simple task of slotting into the empty net to double the visitors’ lead.

Three minutes later the outcome of the game was left in no doubt as Butcher’s shot was parried into the path of Rose who was on the goal line and able to tap in for the Stags’ fourth.

Butcher almost made it five when he took aim from 25 yards out, only to see his curling effort bounce back off the crossbar, before Mal Benning missed the opportunity to extend the Stags’ lead further from the penalty spot.

CJ Hamilton was brought down in the area with Benning taking responsibility from 12 yards, however Lawlor got down to get a finger tip to the ball and push the ball onto the post.

Hamilton would make it five, however, with five minutes to go, with the forward playing a one-two with Benning before firing into the goal via the post to seal the Stags’ win.

Will Longbottom and Max Watters would have late chances to grab a goal back for Rovers, with Longbottom curling just wide and Watters seeing an effort saved by Logan, however it wasn’t to be for the young side and they will now look to get back to winning ways next Tuesday when they host Rotherham United.


Striker commends clinical second-half

Stags’ striker Jordan Graham has reflected on Mansfield’s 5-1 Central League victory over Doncaster Rovers, and praised the team’s clinical nature in front of goal in the second-half, in which they scored on four occasions.

Mansfield went a goal down in the early stages after Alfie Beestin’s strike, but fought back through Otis Khan’s goal to make it 1-1 heading into the break.

The Stags came out of the traps with a purpose in the second-half, scoring four times, with goals from Calum Butcher, Graham, Danny Rose and CJ Hamilton making it 5-1 at full-time.

Following the win, Graham commended the team’s second-half display.

“It was a good result,” he said. “We started off slow. In the first six minutes or so we were poor and conceded, but we got back into the game.


“We took control in the second-half. It felt a lot easier. We were passing the ball a lot better and scored goals.

“With the opportunities we were creating [in the second-half], we were taking our chances.

“We created some opportunities in the first-half but the ones in the second-half were more clear cut. When we got into them, we’d score.

“We just kept adding on and adding on [goals], so it was good.”

Graham netted from the penalty spot in last week’s Central League fixture against Rotherham United reserves, and followed that up with a composed finish in yesterday’s clash, rolling the ball into an empty net after rounding the goalkeeper.

The striker spoke of his second goal in as many games, and went on to discuss the experience of completing 90 minutes in a side full of first-team regulars.

“I just saw Omari [Sterling-James] get the ball and made a run in behind,” he added.

“Then he slipped me through with a perfect weight [pass]. [Then] I went round the ‘keeper and scored.

“The tempo is good [playing with the first team players]. Obviously playing with the under-21s I enjoy that too, but the tempo goes up a lot when you play with these [players].”



Latest | September 2018