{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2018

7th September 2018 23:35

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Carlisle United
Walker pen 55
Attendance: 4470 (373 from Carlisle)

Date: 1 September 2018


Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town beat Carlisle United 1-0 at the One Call Stadium this afternoon thanks to a penalty from Tyler Walker after CJ Hamilton was tripped just inside the box on 55 minutes. The Stags thoroughly deserved the victory, creating and missing a hatful of golden chances before surviving a nervy final few minutes with Bobby Olejnik pulling off a fine save in stoppage time which was Carlisle’s only decent chance of the entire match. It was a catalogue of golden chances. In the first half, Danny Rose’s powerful header was cleared off the line from Otis Khan’s corner, then Khan put Hamilton clear in the area with a super pass but Hamilton’s shot was half stopped by the keeper then cleared by a defender and finally from another Khan corner Matt Preston headed into the ground and over the bar. More of the same in the second half as Walker played forward to Rose in the area and Rose shot wide of the left post, before Rose picked up the ball from a defensive mistake and his shot 1-on-1 with the keeper was saved when he should have scored. Then came the penalty. After that, the chances kept on coming as Craig Davies was clean through on goal but his shot was blocked back to him and his second shot was deflected for a corner, a glorious double chance. The Stags could have had another penalty when Davies was pushed in the back from White’s cross but this time it wasn’t given. An even better chance on 82 minutes as Khan did superbly to weave his way into the area and his shot was deflected onto the post before Walker had an open goal from the rebound but somehow put it over the bar. And you just knew it would be a nervy finish after all those missed chances as the Stags sat deep in the final couple of minutes of normal time and four minutes of stoppage time with Olejnik tipping over a header from Yates on 90+1 minutes. It was just what you wanted from your keeper, virtually unemployed for 91 minutes but then pulling off a great save to preserve the points. A great win for the Stags who remain unbeaten in the league and up to equal 7th in the table. The Stags play Lincoln in the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday, and both sides will probably make a few changes. Lincoln are of course the holders and will keen to emulate last season’s trip to Wembley.

The Stags welcomed back Matt Preston and Hayden White from injury. Alex MacDonald also came back into the side. And Danny Rose started his first game of the season, having stayed at the club as the transfer window for loans closed yesterday as I predicted in my report of the Accrington game. Out went Mal Benning (unfortunate to be dropped after his good performance at West Brom, but he was sacrificed to bring back Preston and White), Will Atkinson, Craig Davies and Calum Butcher. White slipped in at right wing back, with Preston, Pearce and Sweeney in the central defence. New signing Timi Elsnik, signed on loan from Derby for the season, did not make the 18. Carlisle included two players previously signed by David Flitcroft (Hallam Hope and Kelvin Etuhu, thanks to my co-commentator today Darren Shaw for those nuggets). Carlisle were missing the ever-reliable left back Danny Grainger through injury. David Holdsworth, Carlisle’s new director of football, was in the Board Room, having re-written history this week in an interview on the Carlisle website when he said of his time at Mansfield: “A new chairman (John Radford) came in and he pretty much wanted to pick the team. I had enough of that, and that was when I walked out”. Neither of those two latter statements of course was true.

The big scoreboard was back working for the first time this season. It was a gloriously sunny day in Mansfield and unfortunately the sun on the scoreboard meant you couldn’t actually read it. Luckily we don’t see much of the sun in England normally!



REPORT: Mansfield Town 1-0 Carlisle United
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 01 September 2018

Tyler Walker's second-half penalty kick proved enough to give Mansfield Town a 1-0 victory over visiting Carlisle United and maintain their unbeaten start to their League Two campaign It also ended a frustrating run of four draws for David Flitcroft's men. The home side dominated throughout and the four added minutes would not have been so nervy had they taken one of several gilt-edged chances spurned. Indeed, Bobby Olejnik had one of only two good saves to make at the death to deny United an unlikely point as they halted a run of three wins on the trot for the Cumbrians. Don't miss this Incredible Offer Sky TV and Superfast Broadband Promoted by Sky Stags played some excellent football all afternoon and thoroughly deserved the win, but they know they need to convert more of the numerous chances they are creating to make life easier for themselves and the anxious home fans who were left on the edge of their seats. Striker Danny Rose made his first start of the season. Transfer-listed at his own request, Rose is now ready to play a full part in Mansfield's campaign after staying with the club when the loan window closed last night. His inclusion was one of four changes. From the side that went down battling at West Brom in the Carabao Cup in midweek, Calum Butcher, Mal Benning, Will Atkinson and Craig Davies were all dropped to the bench. Matt Preston was restored to central defence after recovering from concussion, Hayden White had shaken off a tight hamstring to play right wing back and Alex MacDonald was restored to central midfield. Mansfield defended a United free kick in the opening minute, then Rose sent a low ball across the box from the right with no one able to get on the end of it. Walker then forced the game's first save on five minutes as Collin was forced to dive to his left to block the striker's low 20-yard shot. Eight minutes later MacDonald scuffed a first time effort wide from a half-clearance as United stood firm under increasing pressure. But on 23 minutes Stags came desperately close as Khan's right wing corner picked out Rose unmarked seven yards out onto to see Liddle clear his header off the line. In reply, Devitt whipped a dangerous cross right in front of goal from the right and out for a goalkick. After another long spell of home pressure United worked the ball down the right and Devitt's cross landed on top of the goal. Stags should have gone ahead on 44 minutes as Khan sent Hamilton away one on one with the keeper down the middle with a great pass. However, the legs of keeper Collin kept out his shot and Liddle was on hand to hook clear the loose ball before Stags could follow up. Khan's shot on the turn from 25 yards in stoppage time was headed away by Parkes for the home side's fourth corner of the half. This time Preston ran in to meet it, but saw his header go down into the turf and fly up and over as the half ended scoreless. Mansfield had the first chance of the second half on 53 minutes as Walker intercepted a loose pass by Glendon and tried to cue up Rose, who pulled his finish narrowly wide. A minute later Gerrard and Liddle got in a tangle and Rose nipped in to go one-on-one with Collin, the keeper's legs again coming to United's rescue. But the opener wasn't far behind and on 55 minutes Mansfield took the lead from the spot. Hamilton was felled in the box by Devitt and Walker coolly sent the keeper the wrong way with his low spot kick. Olejnik finally had a save to make on 61 minutes as he held onto Yates' fierce drive. Rose then made way for Davies a minute later to warm applause. MacDonald won a free kick 24 yards from goal, but Khan was too high as he tried to loop it into the top left corner. Davies should have doubled the lead on 70 minutes when Sweeney sent him clear with a great a ball over the top, but with the keeper in no man's land and a perfect chance to chip into an empty net, he tried to take the keeper on, defenders got back and he finally shot wide. Davies looked to have won a penalty on 74 minutes as he was shoved in the back trying to reach a White cross, but all Stags won was a corner. Referee Drysdale angered home fans again a second later as he waved play on with Walker down at the other end of the pitch with a head injury, Stags only just managing to prevent a United equaliser. A great burst of pace from Hamilton won Mansfield another corner from which Pearce headed over at the home side went in hunt of a killer second. The home side should have wrapped it up on 82 minutes as Davies squared a pass for Khan in front of goal, but, as two defenders closed on him, his finish hit the post and Walker somehow blazed over the open goal with his close range follow-up. Stags then won a corner which saw Sweeney's header force Collin into another save. In four added minutes Olejnik superbly tipped over a far post header by Yates to preserve the win.

STAGS: Olejnik; Pearce, Preston, Sweeney; White, MacDonald, Khan (Butcher 90+3), Bishop, Hamilton; Rose (Davies 62), Walker. Subs: Logan, Gibbens, Mellis, Atkinson, Benning.

CARLISLE: Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Hope, Devitt (Sowerby 59), Glendon (Nadesan 59), Gillesphey, Bennett (Campbell 70), Yates, Etuhu. Subs: O'Reilly, Miller, Slater, Adewusi.

REFEREE: Darren Drysdale of Lincolnshire. ATTENDANCE: 4,470 (373 away). CHAD STAGS MAN OF THE MATCH: Alex MacDonald.

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/report-mansfield-town-1-0-carlisle-united-1-9330224


MATCH REPORT: Stags 1 - 0 United

1 September 2018

by Andy Hall

United were at the One Call Stadium on Saturday afternoon to face unbeaten Mansfield Town in their latest League Two fixture.

The game started at a frantic pace as both sides looked to get forward at every opportunity. A low cross from MacDonald had to be ushered away by Yates, as he dropped deep into a wing back role, and Sweeney had to clear at the other end as Hope lurked.

Tyler Walker showed that he has an eye for goal with just five minutes on the clock when he shielded the ball 22-yards from the target. He went for an early low shot and Collin had to dive low to his left to prevent it from creeping in.

A long kick from the United stopper was flicked on by Bennett and Hope raced past his man to try to get a touch. Olejnik stayed alert and gathered it into his chest before the striker could set himself.

Determined work from Etuhu earned the Blues their first corner of the game on the quarter hour, but it was a flat delivery from Devitt and the Stags dealt with it easily. United stayed forward and a through ball from Parkes sent Bennett on a run down the left flank. He crossed low but it was too close to Olejnik.

Mansfield thought they'd opened the scoring midway through the half when Khan spotted Rose completely unmarked as he took a corner. The blistering header had Collin beaten but captain Gary Liddle was on the line to make a vital block.

United responded with a good break when they had numbers in support. Devitt pulled off his man to take a pass from Hope and his crunched delivery just needed a slight touch as it skipped across the face of the target. Bennett and Yates were just too far away to make it count.

It was suddenly end-to-end and a lofted ball from MacDonald found Preston with time on his hands as he lurked at the back stick. He couldn't find a touch and the ball bounced harmlessly behind.

Intricate play from the Cumbrians just ahead of the break saw Hope hold the ball up well before swapping short passes with Devitt on the edge of the box. A cross to the back post bent sharply from the midfielder and he was disappointed to see it come to rest on the roof of the net.

The hosts had a great chance to take the lead on the stroke of half time when Hamilton timed his run to go one-on-one with Collin inside the area. The keeper was excellent as he marked his first start of the campaign with a full length save. The ball spun free but Liddle was there once again to hook it to safety.

Preston then went close when he got on the end of an outswinging corner just nine yards out. He headed it into the ground and it bounced high and wide of the upright.

The second half took a while to get going but Carlisle were almost undone when a wayward pass from Glendon invited Mansfield to attack. Rose was suddenly in space but he rushed his shot and it bobbled wide. The same player was clean through seconds later but he couldn't wrap his boot round his volley and Collin did well to make another good save.

The pressure was made to tell when what looked like a harmless coming together of bodies between Yates and Hamilton saw referee Darren Drysdale point to spot. Walker sent his penalty kick low and down the middle to open the scoring.

A double substitution brought Nadesan and Sowerby into the fray and a flick from the former was picked up by Yates as he went on a run. He went for a shot but Olejnik was down sharply to make the save.

Gillesphey and Hope had good crosses cleared as United stayed forward, but there was still work to do at the other end as a deflected shot from MacDonald sailed over the bar. Khan stood over a 25-yard free kick given as that set piece was cleared, but he couldn't keep his effort down.

Davies beat the offside trap to surge into the area as Carlisle sent men forward in search of a response, leaving spaces at the back, but Gerrard was superb as he recovered to make a vital tackle.

Substitute Adam Campbell almost made an immediate impression when he was found by Nadesan just inside the area, but a snapshot was blocked by Pearce as it headed at the bottom corner.

A second penalty appeal for the hosts was waved away when Davies came under pressure from Gerrard and Liddle, and Pearce headed over from the corner as he bundled through bodies to connect with his head.

Khan somehow found a way through a run of challenges with just under 10 minutes left to play but his toe poke hit the woodwork as he stretched to try to put it away. The rebound was on a plate for Hamilton but he took his eye off the ball and blazed it over the bar.

Collin saved low from a downward header from Sweeney as the clock ticked down, and a good run at the other end brought a delivery from Yates which bounced up in front of Hope. He got there, but it lacked power and Olejnik made a simple save.

A superb cross from Gerrard found Yates in acres of space in the last minute of the game but he missed the chance to earn his team a point as he put his header straight at Olejnik. The keeper spread his hands and pushed it over the bar.

Carlisle threw everyone forward in time added on but the ball pinged around the box and Mansfield bodies got in the way as they clung on to their hard earned points.



Mansfield Town - Walker (55)



Mansfield Town - Hamilton (90)



Mansfield Town - Olejnik, White, Preston, Pearce, Bishop, MacDonald, Khan (Butcher 90), Sweeney, Walker, Hamilton, Rose (Davies 62). Subs - Logan, Benning, Mellis, Atkinson, Gibbens.

Carlisle United - Collin, Liddle, Gerrard, Parkes, Gillesphey, Yates, Etuhu, Glendon (Nadesan 59), Devitt (Sowerby 59), Hope, Bennett (Campbell 70). Subs - O'Reilly, Miller, Slater, Adewusi.


Referee - Mr Darren Drysdale

Attendance - 4,470 (373 away fans)



Latest | September 2018