{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2018

26th August 2018 20:17

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Tranmere Rovers 0 - 0 Mansfield Town
Attendance: 5466 (287 from Mansfield)

Date: 21 August 2018

Martin Shaw at Prenton Park

The last time Mansfield Town visited Tranmere four years ago, the two sides played out an abysmal 0-0 draw, one of the worst games of football I’ve ever seen the Stags involved in. Last night, it was another 0-0 draw, but this time it was an exciting game and one that either side could have won. The Stags played some neat football but lacked that killer instinct as chances went begging, the best of which was for Tyler Walker who shot wide when clean through on goal, a really glorious chance that he should have converted. Otis Khan had four shots saved, including one great effort from 20 yards which was magnificently tipped over by the keeper, and Krystian Pearce had a header hacked off the line by Connor Jennings. At the other end, Stags keeper Bobby Olejnik, brought in to replace Conrad Logan, had a good game with two good saves, a brilliant tip over the bar from Manny Monthe’s close range header, and a good save with his legs from James Norwood. Overall, the Stags just about shaded it though I think a draw was a fair result. So Mansfield remain unbeaten, but three draws from four games is hurting the league position and over the course of the season more draws will need to be turned into wins if the Stags are to mount a promotion push. The Stags go to the other newly promoted side, Macclesfield, on Saturday. Macclesfield are equal bottom of the table, with just one point from 4 games.



All square as Mansfield Town’s wait for a win at Tranmere goes on
chad.co.uk by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 21 August 2018

Mansfield Town’s three-decade wait for a win at Prenton Park went on as they battled newly promoted Tranmere Rovers to a goalless draw tonight. The unbeaten Stags are yet to win on the road this term and haven’t beaten Tranmere away since way back in 1985. Tranmere Rovers goalkeeper Scott Davies saves at the feet of Mansfield Town's Otis Khan: Picture by Steve Flynn/AHPIX.com, Football: Sky Bet League Two match Tranmere Rovers -V- Mansfield Town at Prenton Park, Birkenhead, Merseyside, England copyright picture Howard Roe 07973 739229 Manager David Flitcroft named three changes for the trip to the Wirral for the first meeting between the two sides since 2015. Trio Bobby Olejnik, Neal Bishop and Craig Davies replaced Conrad Logan, Jacob Mellis and Calum Butcher in the starting line-up from Saturday’s draw against Colchester. Flitcroft’s Stags had their fair share of defending to do with Olejnik pulling off a string of fine saves to secure a point. Summer signing Otis Khan, who has started life at Field Mill with three goals in his opening five games, was a constant threat for newly-promoted Rovers. The former Barnsley boy carved out an early chance by testing Scott Davies from the end of the box and later in the half forced the hosts’ shot stopper into a stunning save to keep out a well-struck curling effort. Down the other end Olejnik, making only his second league start for the club, did well to deny Oli Norwood with his feet after the striker raced his way into the box. The Stags almost fortunately had the lead on the stroke of the break as defender Steve McNulty nearly comically turned Tyler Walker’s fizzing cross into his own net. The game stagnated after the restart as both sides cancelled each other out. Khan continued to be the main hive of activity and frustratingly was denied by Davies again. Both sides threw the kitchen sink to try and steal the points late on. Olejnik repaid the faith shown in him by Flitcroft with a great fingertip save to keep Emmanuel Monthe out with just 10 minutes left. And immediately down the other end Walker fired wide with on-rushing keeper Davies doing well to narrow the angle. Right at the death Krystian Pearce was denied by some last-ditch defending on the line. Olejnik was up to the task once again with a stoppage-time save to deny Norwood.

TRANMERE: Davies, Caprice, McNulty, Ellis, Monthe, Smith (Mottley-Henry, 70), Banks, McCullough, Jennings, Stockton, Norwood. Unused subs: George, Cole, Spellman, Gilmour, Tollitt, Mullin.

STAGS: Olejnik, White, Pearce, Sweeney, Benning (Atkinson, 59), Bishop, MacDonald, Hamilton, Davies (Butcher, 78), Khan (Rose, 78), Walker. Unused subs: Logan, Gibbens, Mellis, Sterling-James. REFEREE: Thomas Bramall. ATTENDANCE: 5,466.

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/all-square-as-mansfield-town-s-wait-for-a-win-at-tranmere-goes-on-1-9312827


Match Report: Tranmere 0-0 Mansfield

Tranmere Rovers responded well with a competitive nil-nil draw at Prenton Park after the 3-2 defeat away at Swindon Town on Saturday.

The best chance of the match came from the visitors when Tyler Walker was put clean through on goal as he managed to get it past Scott Davies, but the ball whistled past the post.

The game got off to a staggering start, as Otis Khan found himself in space just outside the penalty area, his shot was directed straight at Scott Davies' but the Rovers keeper needed two attempts to smother the ball.

Soon after, it was the home side's turn to shake things up as Manny Monthe whipped in a cross which was excellently brought down by James Norwood before the ball was ushered away from goal by Krystian Pearce, but won a corner for the whites.

From the resulting corner, Ollie Banks found himself with a shooting opportunity but his shot was well saved by Austrian shot-stopper Bobby Olejnik.

With a lot happening inside the first ten minutes, this was set to continue as Neil Bishop tried his luck from 25-yards, but his shot was just over Davies' crossbar.

Khan continued to cause problems for the Tranmere defence when he found himself with space to shoot from distance once more, however, this time his effort was brilliantly tipped over by Davies.

Cole Stockton, who played a big part in the way that Rovers' went about the first half showed Prenton Park what he could do with some great hold up play, which sent Norwood on his way, and his shot forced Olejnik into a save with his feet!

After a period of little chances but some effective changes in possession for both sides, it was the away side to turn the tempo up once more.

As we reached the half-hour mark, Khan, who was very active for the away side in the first half found space to open up for a shot, but Rovers' goalkeeper Davies raced off his line to deny the Stags the game's opening goal.

The action for the first period wasn't finished there, after a Tranmere advantage, the away side broke away, but Walker's cross into the box was cleared into the Kop Stand behind the goal by McNulty who nearly sliced the ball into his own net

Half-time: Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Mansfield Town

The second half lacked a lot of what we had seen in the first 45 minutes, as Monthe whipped in a low cross which was aimed at Stockton but the forward man missed the ball at the near post, and then it was cleared by Benning.

It was the host's chance to start the half well though, as Caprice had his opposite number panicking with some clever play, turning his man before firing in a cross which was headed just over by Stockton.

Tranmere did not have the game all their own way through and this was sussed when a low drive across goal from CJ Hamilton was missed by teammate Craig Davies and the ball was cleared by Mark Ellis.

Khan had to wait until midway through the second period for his chance, he was left unmarked by the home side and he twisted and turned before sending a shot straight down Davies' throat.

Chances came like London buses after a significant period without any clear-cut chances as we approached the last ten minutes; a long ball from Davies, brilliantly headed down by Stockton gave Norwood a chance which he snatched at and his deflected shot fell into the grateful hands of Olejnik.

Then it was the home side who nearly won the points, as Monthe was the one to rise highest in the box after a cross from the right but was denied by a superb save from Olejnik, who was making just his second appearance for the away side.

The visitors broke once again, after shouts for handball on halfway were waved down by referee Thomas Bramall, Hamilton played in Walker but the striker fired at the side netting, with some behind the goal starting to celebrate!

As we approached the dying moments, Norwood, who has been a prominent scorer for Rovers so far this season, drilled a low shot which forced a good save to Olejnik's right.

Full-time: Tranmere Rovers 0-0 Mansfield Town

TRANMERE ROVERS: 1. Scott Davies, 5 Stephen McNulty (c), 6. Manny Monthe, 10. James Norwood, 11. Connor Jennings, 12. Luke McCullough, 14. Jake Caprice, 16. Mark Ellis, 18. Johnny Smith (17. Dylan Mottley Henry 70), 20. Cole Stockton, 28. Ollie Banks

Unused Substitutes: 23. Shamal George, 7. Ben Tollitt, 9. Paul Mullin, 22. Harvey Gilmour, 29. Larnell Cole, 30. Carl Spellman

MANSFIELD TOWN: 12. Bobby Olejnik, 2 Hayden White, 3. Mal Benning (11. Will Atkinson 58), 5. Krystian Pearce, 6. Neal Bishop, 7. Alex Macdonald, 9. Craig Davies (32. Danny Rose 78), 10, Otis Khan (16. Callum Butcher 78), 17. Ryan Sweeney, 19. Tyler Walker, 22. Cj Hamilton

Unused Substitutes: 1. Conrad Logan, 8 Jacob Mellis, 22. Lewis Gibbens, 24. Omari Sterling-James

Yellow cards: White (33), Atkinson (90+)

Attendance:5466 with 287 away fans

Referee: Thomas Bramall


Tranmere draw 0-0 with Mansfield Town in League Two clash
By Richard Garnett

Tranmere Rovers 0, Mansfield Town 0

TRANMERE had to settle for a point after an entertaining goalless draw against unbeaten Mansfield Town at Prenton Park.

James Norwood came close either side of half-time for Rovers, but the Yellows were guilty of missing two clear cut opportunities after the break that would have left Micky Mellon's men empty-handed.

The Scot made one change to the side that lost at Swindon on Saturday, replacing the suspended Jay Harris with new loan signing Luke McCulloch.

The visitors had the first effort of the match just four minutes in when a half volley from Otis Khan was palmed by Scott Davies and gathered at the second attempt.

A return pass to Ollie Banks from a corner allowed the midfielder to get a shot in from the edge of the box, but with Tranmere's strikers breathing down his neck, Bobby Olejnik was able to hold onto it.

Neal Bishop then blazed one over the bar for Mansfield at the other end but Khan made Davies work much harder five minutes later when his dipping long-range effort was tipped over the bar by the Rovers 'keeper.

Norwood broke free of the visitors' defence on the quarter of an hour mark but his shot was saved by the legs of Olejnik.

A toe poke from Norwood almost got Johnny Smith in on goal but Krystian Pearce was wise to it.

In stark contrast to the usual fare served up in the National League, Mansfield had come to Prenton Park with a willingness to play football and that suited Rovers.

But the hosts were carved open on the half hour mark with Khan's shot saved by Davies, when the striker perhaps should have squared for an easy tap in.

Norwood and Jennings both saw long-range efforts deflected wide for corners as Tranmere shift the attacking impetus back in the opposite direction.

Successive fouls on Cole Stockton and then Banks saw Hayden White shown a yellow card.

He was lucky it wasn't another colour.

A poor touch from Johnny Smith presented a shooting opportunity to Neal Bishop, but his low drive was deflected wide for a Mansfield corner.

Having invited pressure on his own defence with a loose pass out of the back, Steve McNulty had to cut out a cross from the right for a corner, atoning for his earlier mistake.

Having lost the initiative towards the end of the opening 45 minutes, Rovers started the second half in more positive fashion.

A flick over the top from Jennings put Smith in behind, but his cut back was snuffed out.

Jack Caprice then danced past his marker and crossed for Norwood, who's front post shot was deflected over the bar.

Mansfield responded.

A low cross from Tyler Walker caused all manner of problems for Rovers, but Caprice managed to get something on it to deny Craig Davies a certain goal.

Norwood went close when Jennings' flicked ball across goal was deflected around the post.

Stockton was then denied a free header at goal when Banks' cross was just brushed clear by the head of White.

On the hour mark, sloppy defending gave Khan a golden opportunity to put Mansfield ahead but his weak shot was straight at Davies.

Rovers' stopper Davies then held a free kick from namesake Craig, as Town halted the flow of Tranmere attacks.

A great ball over the top from Banks found Norwood who tried to put substitute Dylan Mottley-Henry in, but his touch was poor and the move broke down.

The Stags' big moment came when Tranmere were denied a handball appeal allowing the visitors to counter but Walker somehow shot wide when it looked easier to score.

But in the closing stages Rovers pushed for a winner.

Norwood saw a low drive pushed around the post before Manny Monthe's header from Banks' cross was diverted over the bar.

The brilliant Banks ballooned a free kick over with the last kick of the game but a point apiece was a fair result against a decent Mansfield outfit.

Rovers' boss Micky Mellon said afterwards: "It was a very good game of football.

"We're looking for a measurement of where we're at and we knew that the Swindon and tonight's game would possibly show us where we are in the pecking order in terms of the division.

"To come out and play the way we did, with the tempo that we did for the whole game was terrific.

"Did anyone team really deserve to lose in a game like that?

"A good sportsman would probably say that it would be harsh on either one.

"I think we shaded it second half.

"We were certainly the one on the front foot but they had a chance when we slipped and they had a one-v-one with Scotty, but all in all we represented the fans properly and played some terrific football.

"We probably shaded it in a really good game but credit to both sets of players."

Match stats:

Tranmere: Davies, Caprice, McNulty, Ellis, Monthe, Smith (Mottley-Henry 70), McCulloch, Banks, Norwood, Stockton

Subs not used: George, Tollitt, Mullin, Gilmour, Cole, Spellman

Man of the match: Ollie Banks (Tranmere midfielder)

Attendance: 5,466



Latest | August 2018