{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2018

21st August 2018 10:20

Carabao Cup (English Football League Cup) - Round 1
Mansfield Town 6 - 1 Accrington Stanley
Walker pen 9, pen 13, 45+2, Khan 16, Rose 66, Hamilton 90+3. Finlay 6.
Attendance: 1565 (76 from Accrington)

Date: 14 August 2018

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town produced a memorable performable, one of the best in living memory, to swamp bogey side Accrington Stanley 6-1 in the League Cup at the One Call Stadium last night. Both sides had made changes from their most recent league games, Accrington 6 and Mansfield 4, but the quality of much of Mansfield’s play was there to behold as the Stags knocked in six goals and in truth it could have been ten. Since Accrington had reformed as a club, the two sides had played 14 times in the league, with Accrington winning 10, 4 draws and not a single win for Mansfield. However in the cups, Mansfield had won the only meeting between the sides, thanks to a Richie Barker penalty in 2006 in the FA Cup.

The Stags made a bright start with two early entries into the Accrington box, including a great 1-2 between CJ Hamilton and Calum Butcher on the right, and then Hamilton setting up Mal Benning for a shot into the side netting. But it was Accrington who took the lead on 6 minutes as Sean McConville, one of the players of the season in League Two last season, laid a nice ball forward to Sam Finlay who turned Hayden White a little too easily, held White and Hamilton off, and fired across understudy keeper Bobby Olejnik and into the right corner of the net. A fine goal for Accrington, but weak defending from White. The Stags had gone behind at Yeovil after 6 minutes on Saturday through weak defending, and equalised on 9 minutes. And exactly the same thing happened here on 9 minutes. Calum Butcher played a wonderful ball forward with the outside of his right foot for Tyler Walker to run on to in the area, Walker took one touch to go around the keeper on the right, went to hurdle the keeper and was brought down for a stonewall penalty. Walker himself got up and sent the penalty kick just to the left of centre as the keeper dived the wrong way. Four minutes later, Mansfield had another penalty. Hamilton took a throw-in from 5 yards from the corner flag on the right, along the byline. Butcher tried to turn his man Scott Brown as the ball went past him and was brought down. The linesman, who had a great view, immediately flagged for a penalty, and the referee pointed to the spot. From my position, it looked like a foul. After the game, Accrington boss John Coleman bemoaned the decision. I think he should turn his frustration towards Scott Brown for a needless foul. Walker stepped up again and sent the penalty down the left again, this time further into the corner, with the keeper diving the wrong way again. Incredibly it was 3-1 after just 16 minutes. A nice ball down the line from Pearce, and fabulous play from Butcher on the right wing to nick the ball past Mark Hughes, power forward to level with the edge of the area on the right, and then slide the ball across to Otis Khan, who took one great touch to create an easy shooting chance for himself and then lifted the ball into the left corner of the net. Good from Pearce, magnificent from Butcher, and clinical from Khan. Accrington boss Coleman smashed the ball away in frustration to pick up the first yellow card ever by a manager in a Stags game, following the new rules this season. Even better was to come. On 45+2 minutes, Benning won the ball on the left touchline, with superb pressing that has typified Mansfield’s game this season and pre-season, laid forward to Khan who carried on the run down the left and from level with the six yard box on the left crossed to Walker, on the edge of the six yard box, who back-flicked with his left boot past the keeper. A stunning finish and wait until you see it on our superb pitchside footage (*). It was very reminiscent of Lee Angol’s goal at Wycombe last season. A first half hat-trick for Walker.

(*) note that the pitchside footage and club videos cannot be released until midnight on Wednesday, 12 hours later than for a league game, due to broadcasting rights.

4-1 to the Stags at the break. Wow, this was just brilliant attacking. On 65 minutes, Danny Rose was brought on as substitute, for Walker. Rapturous applause for Walker of course for his first half hat-trick, and almost unanimous applause for Rose, with a few isolated boos. I had said in commentary that the Rose situation was nothing that a goal and an apology could not sort out. I didn’t expect a goal with a minute! Well, 78 seconds to be exact. Jacob Mellis played a sumptuous ball forward from the halfway line for Hamilton (now at left wing-back) to run on to on the left side of the area, Hamilton slid a perfect ball across the box for Rose to side foot into the net from 8 yards. Rose also held his hands up in apology to spectators on a number of occasions during the evening. Welcome back Danny. It couldn’t get any better could it? Well yes it could actually with one of the finest goals ever scored by Mansfield. During stoppage time at the end of the game, the Stags kept possession of the ball with Accrington not able to get a touch on it. 1 minute and 18 seconds in total, and 26 passes without Accrington touching it, as finally Mellis made a run forward, played a 1-2 with Rose, and then laid off to Hamilton to blast past the keeper. Simply incredible and I’ve run out of adjectives to describe it. Accrington boss John Coleman described it as “one of the best goals I’ve ever seen as Mansfield kept the ball for about 60 passes”.

6-1. Incredible. Mansfield’s biggest ever win in the League Cup. The draw for Round 2 is on Thursday.

It’s back to the league action on Saturday at home to Colchester. If you missed last night’s game, don’t miss the action on Saturday. Because the Stags might be onto something special here.

Mansfield made four changes from the side that drew at Yeovil. One enforced change as Matt Preston is not allowed to play and specifically to head the ball for 7 days due to the “enhanced care pathway” which includes the concussion protocol as described by physio Lizzie. Preston suffered concussion in the Yeovil game. Preston will be allowed to play on Saturday against Colchester. Rested were Conrad Logan, Neal Bishop and Craig Davies. In came Ryan Sweeney for Preston, Sweeney’s debut on loan from Stoke for the season, Bobby Olejnik in for Logan, Jacob Mellis for Bishop, and Calum Butcher for Davies. Mansfield lined up in what I can best describe as a 3-4-2-1 formation:
White, Pearce, Sweeney (left of the three);
Hamilton, MacDonald, Mellis, Benning;
Butcher, Khan;
Walker (but Butcher and Khan pushing forward so Walker not isolated, so almost a 3-4-3).

A return to the squad for Danny Rose, for the first time this season including pre-season, following his toe injury and then transfer request. I expect Rose to stay at the club now. David Flitcroft accused Peterborough of manipulating, lying to and misleading Rose into putting in a transfer request, saying that Peterborough had told Rose that his transfer valuation had been met when it hadn’t.



Walker hat-trick as Mansfield Town smash six past bogey club Accrington
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Tuesday 14 August 2018

A first half Tyler Walker hat-trick helped Mansfield Town to finally beat bogey side Accrington Stanley in style with a stunning 6-1 home Carabao Cup first round tie win tonight.

Stags had not beaten Stanley in their last 13 encounters but, after going 1-0 down against the run of play in six minutes, went on to demolish the League One outfit


Incredibly, within 10 minutes of going behind to a Sam Finley goal, they were 3-1 up and cruising.

Tyler Walker levelled with the first of his two spot kick successes within three minutes and won and scored a second four minutes later before completing a hat-trick in first half stoppage time after Otis Khan had netted the third on 16 minutes.

Want-away striker Danny Rose, a surprise inclusion on the bench, added the fifth within a minute of coming as a sub on 65 minutes and CJ Hamilton a stoppage time sixth to put the icing on the cake as Stags continued their fine start to the new season.

Mansfield made four changes and Accrington six for the tie.

For the Stags Bobby Olejnik replaced Conrad Logan in goal.

Stoke loanee Ryan Sweeney made his debut in central defence with Matt Preston rested due to concussion sustained at Yeovil last weekend.

Neil Bishop was replaced by Calum Butcher and forward Craig Davies was left out, Jacob Mellis coming into the midfield instead with Tyler Walker as a lone forward.

Mansfield made a confident start and kept possession superbly for the early minutes, almost breaking through on three minutes.

Hamilton played a one-two on the right of the box with Butcher, but with the goal then in front of him, his first touch let him down as he took the return pass.

A low ball across the box by Hamilton then gave Benning sight of goal, his shot going into the sidenetting.

But all that early promise was wrecked when Finlay scored a superb goal on the visitors’ first attack on six minutes.

McConville’s pass found Finlay just inside the box and he turned two defenders inside out before taking the ball to the left of goal and somehow squeezing the finish inside the far post from a tight angle.

But that lead lasted just three minutes as Walker levelled matters from the spot on nine minutes.

Butcher’s cutting pass sent Walker in on goal and he was brought down by keeper Maxted as he tried to round him, Walker slotting a confident penalty low down the middle.

Incredibly Walker won and converted another penalty four minutes later.

This time he and Brown clashed on the by-line and the linesman flagged for a penalty. It looked a harsh one, but Walker dusted himself down and this time sent the keeper the wrong way.

Soon after Hamilton pulled a low pass for Mellis to send well over from 18 yards as Stags went in search of more goals.

They didn’t have to wait long as on 16 minutes on a break down the right Butcher flicked the ball past his marker and ghosted past him before curling a low pass perfectly onto Khan’s path who dispatched an unstoppable finish past Maxted from 15 yards.

Frustrated Stanley boss Coleman kicked the ball away as it bounced to his dug-out to see an 18th minute yellow card.

Conneely was booked on 26 minutes for dissent after arguing Stanley should have had a penalty when Zanzala seemed to be pulled back by Pearce.

Mellis was added to the cautions for a foul on 28 minutes, joined by Mingoia a minute late for a cynical trip on Mellis that halted a home breakaway.

As the pace slackened Olejnik had a let-off as he kicked the ball straight to McConville before then tackling him for a corner before he could get a shot away.

Benning’s wrestle with Rodgers on 41 minutes, preventing Stanley taking a quick free kick saw the fifth booking of the night.

Mis-kicks by both sides on 43 minutes saw Butcher gifted the chance to set up Walker, but his shot lacked venom and was easy to save.

Platt was then booked for pulling back Walker on 45 minutes though Stags were angry Walker had managed to pull clear of the player by then.

Mansfield’s excellent first half was capped off two minutes into the four added as Walker completed his hat-trick.

Khan burst into the box on the left and crossed hard from the left, Walker flicking into the net from close range.

Atkinson replaced Benning for the second half.

There was early danger as Zanzala got in on goal only for White to persist in his chase and do enough to put him off an accurate finish.

More great play from Walker saw him cut inside a defender on the left, putting him on his backside, before whistling a shot over the far angle.

On 58 minutes there was some real work to do for Olejnik as Mingoia let fly with a dipper from 25 yards, the keeper arching backwards to tip over.

Sterling-James was given a run in place of Khan on the hour with Mansfield still firmly in charge of the tie.

McConville was jeered by home fans as he was replaced by Clark on 64 minutes after he had gone down three times injured and he reacted angrily, walking towards fans and being pulled back.

Clark quickly pulled a low shot wide.

A minute later Rose was given a mixed reception, though mostly cheered, as he came on for hero Walker.

But within a minute Rose was on the scoresheet and everyone was cheering him. Mellis put Hamilton away down the left and his low cross was perfect for Rose to slot home from six yards.

With all three subs used, Finlay came off for Accrington with 12 minutes to go, leaving them with 10 men.

On 82 minutes Butcher sent a close range volley straight at Maxted from a superb far MacDonald cross.

Mellis then forced another good save from Maxted with Stanley desperate for the final whistle.

In added time Sterling-James sent a tame shot at the keeper from a gilt-edged chance carved out by White.

But on 90+3 minutes a neat move down the centre saw Mellis set up Hamilton for an unstoppable finish to crown the night.

STAGS: Olejnik, White, Pearce, Sweeney; Hamilton, MacDonald, Mellis, Butcher, Benning (Atkinson HT), Khan (Sterling-James 60), Walker (Rose 65). Subs: Logan, Bishop, Davies, Gibbens.

ACCRINGTON: Maxted, Hughes, Brown (Nolan 67), Zanzala, McConville (Clark 64), Finley, Wood, Rodgers, Mingoia, Platt, Conneely (Mangan 67). Subs: Ripley, Johnson, Richards-Everton, Nolan, Williams.

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge of Newcastle.

ATTENDANCE: 1,565 (76 away).



MATCH ANALYSIS: Mansfield Town 6 Accrington Stanley 1

STANLEY crashed out of the Carabao Cup in a bizarre game at the One Call Stadium, losing 6-1 to League Two Mansfield Town.


A Reds side showing six changes from the weekend win over Bristol Rovers took the lead in the first round tie but were sent home on the wrong end of a heavy defeat with Nottingham Forest loanee Tyler Walker bagging at hat trick for the hosts.

It started well for John Coleman’s men, with midfielder Sam Finley marking his first start for the club with a fine goal, spinning into the area, evading the attention of two defenders and picking out the bottom right corner with his left foot.

It was a short lived lead though as the Stags were soon level from the penalty spot. Otis Khan threaded a pass into the box for Walker who got to the ball before the advancing Accrington keeper Jonny Maxted, who caught him. Referee Seb Stockbridge pointed to the spot and Walker sent Maxted the wrong way to level.

Four minutes later it was Walker against Maxted from the spot again, this time in more peculiar circumstances. Scott Brown cleared the ball from the byline inside the Stanley box, Mansfield’s Callum Butcher hit the deck and the referee’s assistant flagged for another penalty. Walker repeated the trick to make it 2-1.

Now the visitors were aggrieved and lost focus, conceding a third moments later. This time it was a Mansfield counter attack, with Butcher bursting down the right and picking out Khan inside the area who smashed a shot past Maxted.

The feeling of frustration grew and grew, with boss Coleman booked after smashing a loose ball that came into his dugout, while Offrande Zanzala looked to be caught in the box by Krystian Pearce but kept his feet and received no reward other than a corner.

Even when fortune seemed to favour the Reds, when a dreadful clearance from goalkeeper Bobby Olejnik cannoned off Sean McConville, they couldn’t make the most of it as McConville failed to get round the retreating keeper.

And it soon got worse when Khan surged past the statuesque Harvey Rodgers and crossed for Walker to flick home his third and Mansfield’s fourth.

After the break the Reds looked to get themselves back into the game. Olejnik had to produce an acrobatic save to tip Piero Mingoia’s 25-yard effort over the bar.

There was a further blow for the visitors when McConville was caught by Jacob Mellis and, after attempting to play on, was forced to limp off, reacting angrily to the home crowd as he exited with stewards and the fourth official having to get involved.

Four became five for the home side moments later when CJ Hamilton burst down the left and played the ball into the box for substitute Danny Rose to sweep home from six yards.

Stanley had been unbeaten in 13 meetings with the Stags but it was a very different story this time as David Flitcroft’s team comfortably booked their place in the second round draw.

They completed the half dozen in stoppage time when Hamilton lashed home from inside the box to complete a chastening night for the League One new boys.

Stanley: Maxted, Rodgers, Platt, Hughes, Wood, Conneely (Mangan 67), Brown (Nolan 68), Finley, Mingoia, McConville (Clark 63), Zanzala. Subs: Johnson, Richards-Everton, Williams, Ripley



Latest | August 2018