{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from August 2018

17th August 2018 0:11

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Yeovil Town 2 - 2 Mansfield Town
Jaiyesimi 6, Arquin 17. Davies 9, Preston 25.
Attendance: 2796 (315 from Mansfield)

Date: 11 August 2018

Martin Shaw at Huish Park

Mansfield Town came from behind twice to draw 2-2 in an exciting game at Yeovil this afternoon. The Stags were behind on just 6 minutes as Dickinson chipped a ball forward from the halfway line to the edge of the area and Jaiyesimi got away from Pearce and Preston to get in a shot which deflected off Pearce and over Logan. Poor defending. The Stags were level on 9 minutes. Santos’s attempted clearance hit Alex MacDonald on Mansfield’s right and rebounded into the middle to fall perfectly for Craig Davies who fired right footed into the bottom left corner of the net from 12 yards. Certainly a stroke of luck for Mansfield that the ball rebounded kindly into the path of Davies, but it was a clinical finish from the Stags striker for his first league goal for the club. But the Stags paid for more sloppy defending on 17 minutes to fall behind again. Following a long throw-in from the left, Omar Sowunmi’s shot from 12 yards was pushed away by Logan and former Stags striker Yoann Arquin, playing for Yeovil as a right winger, was left in acres of space, to fire into the net from a tight angle on the right. Once again, Mansfield were level with a few minutes, scoring on 25 minutes, as Otis Khan put in a fabulous cross from the byline on the left, both Krystian Pearce and Matt Preston went for the same header from 6 yards, and it was Preston who headed into the net. Pearce actually headed Preston’s head and Preston had to receive treatment before the game restarted. An exciting first half with the Stags poor at the back but dangerous going forward. A fair scoreline at the break, but Yeovil got on top in the first half of the second half and Jaiyesimi should have put them back in front on 66 minutes as he turned and shot wide from close range after Preston made a hash of a clearance. But after that it was the Stags on top and searching for a winner. On 70 minutes, Khan got to the byline and played a lovely ball to Davies, whose shot was blocked superbly on the line by the keeper. Davies should have scored but it was a fine save by the keeper. Davies went even closer on 74 minutes. Walker chipped a superb cross from the right to the far post, where Davies got in a great header which Sowunmi headed up and onto the underside of the bar. A good effort from Davies, and great defending from Sowunmi. The Stags went within a whisker again on 89 minutes, as Khan’s superb free kick from 40 yards into the box was met with a glancing header from Preston just wide of the left post. Overall, this was a fair result. Yeovil were better than expected with some impressive attacking down both wings, with Arquin and Mugabe on the right, and new signing Wes Atkinson from Birmingham on the left. They caused Mansfield plenty of problems, but the Stags will be disappointed with some of the defending. Going forward for Mansfield, Otis Khan oozed class, having been booed by some of the home fans returning to the club where he did so well. Craig Davies had a good game with one clinical finish and was unlucky not to be the matchwinner with his header knocked onto the underside of the bar. Khan, Davies and Benning combined well down the left. So the Stags are off to a solid start, with four points from two games. Attention now switches to the Carabao (League) Cup on Tuesday as Accrington come to the One Call Stadium.



Mansfield Town twice come from behind for point at Yeovil
chad.co.uk, Saturday 11 August 2018

Mansfield Town came away from Huish Park with a 2-2 draw against Yeovil Town after twice having to battle back from behind in their first away trip of the new season. All four goals came in a busy first 26 minutes with both teams as guilty of defensive mistakes as they were of creating great attacking opportunities. After six minutes the Stags were a goal down as a long ball from left-back Carl Dickinson eluded the back line and Diallang Jaiyesimi took a good touch to bring it down before knocking it in. Mansfield responded well by equalising just three minutes later, although Craig Davies’ strike was something of a gift as Alefe Santos’ blocked clearance fell kindly to the striker, who had time and space to find the bottom corner. Back came the Glovers and they were ahead through ex-Stag Yoann Arquin in the 17th minute. A throw into the box was not defended adequately and Omar Sowunmi sent a shot goalwards that goalkeeper Conrad Logan only parried into the path of Arquin, who squeezed in it from a tight angle. Jaiyesimi arguably should have made it 3-1 when Bevis Mugabi played a cross behind the defence, but, with Logan having rushed out, the forward could only lift his shot over the bar. It was the break the visitors needed as Mansfield levelled once again from a defensive error. A quick free-kick found Otis Khan in acres of space on the left flank and, with players queuing up at the far post, he picked out Matt Preston who headed in - getting a whack on the head and needing treatment for his efforts. Twice Davies had great opportunities to score the winner after half-time, the first a low strike that was brilliantly saved by Nathan Baxter and the second a looping header that was cleared off the line and onto his own bar by Sowunmi.

Yeovil: Baxter, Mugabi, Sowunmi, Donnellan (Warren, 45), Dickinson, Arquin, Santos (Pattison, 56), D’Almeida, McDonald, Zoko, Jaiyesimi (Henry, 74). Unused subs: Phillips, Cole, Fisher, Rogers.

Mansfield: Logan, White, Preston, Pearce, Hamilton, Bishop, MacDonald (Mellis, 87), Benning, Khan, Davies (Butcher, 83), Walker. Unused subs: Olejnik, Sweeney, Gibbens, Graham, Atkinson. Referee: Neil Hair. Attendance: 2,796.

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-twice-come-from-behind-for-point-at-yeovil-1-9296305


11 August 2018 : Yeovil 2 Mansfield 2 : Glovers Pegged Back Twice In Home Opener

Yeovil Town drew their first home match of the 2018-19 season at Huish Park this afternoon, as all four goals in a 2-2 scoreline were concentrated into the opening period. The Glovers saw Norwich City loanee Diallang Jaiyesimi latch onto a bit of Route One for the opener, but former loanee Craig Davies quickly equalised. Then the home side restored their lead as former Stags player Yoann Arquin scored his first for the club, before Matt Preston restored the balance. Both teams needed to organise their defences better than they had in the opening 26 minutes, leading to a much quieter second half, although Omar Sowunmi's second half clearance off his own line ensured his side got a point out of the game, to leave Yeovil in 20th place after two games.

The Glovers went into the match making two enforced changes, due to the double red card obtained last weekend at Bury. Tom James dropped out for Omar Sowunmi who was returning from his own suspension, and that meant that Bevis Mugabi moved to the right-back slot. Jordan Green commenced a three match suspension, with Wes McDonald getting his debut for the club, having joined from Birmingham City during pre-season. In the opposition line-up, Otis Khan and Craig Davies lined up against their former club.

The game got off to a flying start after just five minutes. A long ball over the top from Carl Dickinson caught Mansfield's back line flat-footed, as Diallang Jaiyesimi raced onto the pass. His first touch saw him control the ball, whilst his second saw him roll a shot past Conrad Logan for a 1-0 lead.

Frustratingly they only held that lead for four minutes. Alefe Santos tried to clear the ball from inside his own half, but it got blocked off by a Mansfield player, with the ball ricocheting into the path of former loanee Craig Davies. With him in space, he was able to fire home past Nathan Baxter for an ultra-quick response, at 1-1 after just nine minutes.

Otis Khan, who was booed by many throughout the first period, shot into the side netting after he got into space, but it wasn't long before Yeovil got their noses back in front with the next major chance of the match. Omar Sowunmi fired a shot on goal, and when Conrad Logan only parried the attempt, Yoann Arquin was on hand to follow up the rebound on the far post and fire home from close range at 2-1.

So could Yeovil now hold onto the lead? They could have extended it further when Bevis Mugabi put through Diallang Jaiyesimi, with him behind the Mansfield back line. But as Logan came off his line, his attempt to lift the ball over the keeper also cleared the crossbar. And nine minutes later, the visitors instead drew level once again, as old boy Otis Khan's cross was headed home by Matt Preston for a 2-2 scoreline.

Mansfield finished the half as the stronger side, with Krystian Pearce shooting over the bar after a quickly taken free kick caught the defence napping. Then Tyler Walker shot wide from a Mal Benning pass, with Yeovil's defence and midfield sometimes not too sure whether to play the ball out of their own half, or whether to belt it into Row Z. With four goals though, there could be no complaints about the entertainment.

Half time saw Gary Warren replace Shaun Donnellan, with a thigh problem explained as the reason for his withdrawal. Sessi D'Almeida fired over the crossbar early on, before Alefe Santos was also replaced, with one erratic pass, and a fairly obvious yellow card perhaps contributing to the decision to bring Middlesbrough loanee Alex Pattison on for his debut. Yeovil again continued to be enterprising with Bevis Mugabi's pass to Diallang Jaiyesimi seeing him turn and shoot inside the box, but dragging it wide. There was then a double effort from Yoann Arquin, with his first shot saved by Logan, but with the second clearing the crossbar.

Mansfield did have their second half moments, and ultimately came the closest to grabbing the fifth goal of the game. Craig Davies had earlier forced Nathan Baxter into a strong low save from an Otis Khan cross, but Baxter had to be grateful to Omar Sowunmi minutes later, as Davies produced a header that had the keeper beaten, with Sowunmi's header off the line coming off the underside of the crossbar before coming back out again.

Yeovil managed to hang in there, and in fact had to play out the final minutes of the match with ten men, after they'd made all three substitutes. Francois Zoko was the victim of a foul from Hayden White, which earned the Stags player a booking. When Zoko tried to get back on to continue, he went down on the deck almost immediately, leading to him slowly limping off with what looked like jarred ligaments. As such, the final four minutes of injury time had to be played out with a little bit of caution - thankfully the closest Mansfield got was a Matt Preston header from an Otis Khan free kick that went wide of the target. It ended all square, giving Yeovil their first point of the 2018-19 season against a side strongly fancied for promotion this season, with the Glovers ending the day in 20th place in the ultra-early League table.

Link: 2018-19 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Mansfield Town 2.

Scorers: Diallang Jaiyesimi (1-0, 5 mins), Craig Davies (1-1, 9 mins), Yoann Arquin (2-1, 17 mins), Matt Preston (2-2, 26 mins)

Yeovil Town:
12. Nathan Baxter
5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Omar Sowunmi, 27. Shaun Donnellan, 3. Carl Dickinson
21. Wes McDonald, 20. Sessi D'Almeida, 30. Alefe Santos, 18. Yoann Arquin
14. Diallang Jaiyesimi, 13. Francois Zoko (Capt)

24. Steve Phillips, 4. Gary Warren (46 mins for Shaun Donnellan), 8. Reece Cole 9. Alex Fisher 15. Gabriel Rogers, 17. Alex Pattison (56 mins for Alefe Santos), 19. Korrey Henry (74 mins for Diallang Jaiyesimi)

Mansfield Town:
1 Conrad Logan
2 Hayden White 4 Matt Preston 5 Krystian Pearce
22 Christopher Hamilton 7 Alexander MacDonald 6 Neal Bishop 10 Otis Khan 3 Malvind Benning
19 Tyler Walker 9 Craig Davies

12 Robert Olejnik 8 Jacob Mellis (87 mins for Alex MacDonald) 11 Will Atkinson 16 Callum Butcher (83 mins for Craig Davies) 17 Ryan Sweeney 27 Lewis Gibbens 29 Jordan Graham

Yeovil Bookings: Alefe Santos (foul, 55 mins)

Mansfield Town Bookings: Malvind Benning (foul, 45 mins), Neal Bishop (foul, 77 mins), Alex MacDonald (handball, 83 mins), Hayden White (foul, 87 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 48%; Shots: 11; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 1; Fouls: 12.

Mansfield Town Match Statistics: Possession: 52%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 2; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Neil Hair (Huntingdonshire). Assistants: Kevin Morris (Herefordshire) and Ronald Ganfield (Somerset). Fourth Official: Christopher Wade (Hampshire).

Attendance: 2,795 (with 315 Mansfield Town supporters).


REPORT - Yeovil Town 2-2 Mansfield Town
Entertaining Town earn a point in opening home match
by Alex Ferguson


An entertaining Town performance was enough to earn a share of the spoils in the opening home match of the season at Huish Park.

All four goals of an end-to-end affair were scored in the first-half as the Glovers led twice through Diallang Jaiyesimi and Yoann Arquin who opened their accounts in green and white on home debut.

However, jubilation twice turned to disappointment as they were cancelled out through goals from Craig Davies and Matt Preston to mean the points were shared.

After last week’s narrow defeat to Bury, the hosts were left without the suspended Tom James and Jordan Green as well as injured quartet Rhys Browne (hamstring), Stuart Nelson (calf), James Bailey (knee) and Jake Gray (ankle).

Captain Omar Sowunmi returned to the starting 11 after serving his two-match suspension carried over from last campaign to fill the void left by James, whilst Wes McDonald made his debut in green and white since joining the Glovers from Birmingham.

In a drizzly afternoon in Somerset, Jaiyesimi got Town off to a dream start just six minutes in, after being played in by Carl Dickinson he slotted past Conrad Logan from inside the area to score his first goal for the club.

With many still celebrating the early opener, the Stags equalised just minutes later. Alefe Santos failed to clear and the ricochet fell kindly to former loanee Davies in the area who controlled well and fired the ball into the bottom left corner.

The Glovers, not disheartened by conceding, pressed to get back ahead. Sessi D’Almeida fed Bevis Mugabi on the right whose ball to the back post found Jaiyesimi but the striker couldn't direct his header on target.

Continuing a pulsating affair, Town took the lead for the second time in the 17th minute. A long throw from Dickinson fell to Sowumni in the penalty area whose shot was saved by Logan, only to fall into the path of Arquin who reacted quickest to slot in the rebound from a few yards out against his former employers.

Baxter denied Mansfield a second equaliser four minutes later as Davies cut in from the left and shot from 20 yards before Jaiyesimi went close again, this time latching on to a lobbed ball from Mugabi only to then sky his shot on goal.

Rounding off a frantic opening half-an-hour, Mansfield leveled once again in the 26th minute through Preston who headed in the returning Otis Khan’s cross from the left after a short free-kick inside the Glovers half.

The Nottinghamshire outfit almost took the lead when a quick free-kick was fed into Tyler Walker whilst the Yeovil defence protested, with the Forest loanee pulling the ball back to Krystian Pearce who fired over.

After a dramatic opening 45 minutes, Darren Way made one switch at the break as the experienced Gary Warren replaced Shaun Donnellan, who the Town boss confirmed had been struggling with a thigh strain.

Alex Pattison made his first appearance since joining on loan from Middlesbrough for the Glovers by replacing Santos, who had just been booked, with 35 minutes remaining.

Half way into the second half the game opened up and Jaiyesimi went close again after turning and shooting wide from Arquin’s delivery from the right.

A minute later it was Arquin who almost put Town back ahead, determined work from Dickinson up the left led to a ball swung into the box that reached Arquin at the back post, his first effort was saved by Logan and second fired over the bar on the rebound.

Less frantic than the first-half but still end-to-end, It was David Flitcroft’s side who went close next.

Khan beat his man down the right and fired a fierce ball across the box which was struck by the well-placed Davies, only for Baxter to produce a stunning reaction save.

In a flurry of pressure, good work again down the right from the visitors led to Walker crossing in for the dangerous Davies whose header was headed onto the bar by Sowunmi to deny the Stags the lead.

The Glovers pressed for a winner and Sowunmi went close at the other end when his header from Dickinson's free-kick wound up in the arms of Logan, before the hosts were dealt a blow when Francois Zoko trudged from the pitch unable to continue after picking up a knock with all three substitutions used.

With a man disadvantage, the green and whites dug in for the closing stages to earn a well-deserved point and kick-off proceedings for the season at Huish Park in entertaining fashion.

Yeovil Town: Baxter; Mugabi, Sowunmi, Donnellan (Warren 46'), Dickinson; Arquin, Santos (Pattison 56'), D'Almeida, McDonald; Jaiyesimi (Henry 75'), Zoko.
Bookings: Santos 55'
Subs not used: Phillips, Cole, Rogers, Fisher.

Mansfield Town: Logan; White, Preston, Pearce; Hamilton, MacDonald (Mellis 87'), Bishop, Khan, Benning; Davies (Butcher 83'), Walker.
Bookings: Benning 45', Bishop 77', White 87'
Subs not used: Olejnik, Sweeney, Gibbens, Graham, Atkinson.



Latest | August 2018