{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from March 2018

23rd March 2018 18:50

Tuesday 20 March 2018

Spencer 23, Angol 45, Miller 69

Stags (4-3-3):
Sam Wilson;
White, Digby, Hunt, Penney;
Thomas, Byrom, Sterling-James;
Miller, Angol, Spencer.


Stags win Central League Cup

Goals from strikers Jimmy Spencer, Lee Angol and Ricky Miller fired the Stags to a 3-0 victory at Wigan Athletic as our second string lifted the Central League Cup.

The final of the competition - arranged by the clubs’ reserve league - was watched by both Mansfield Town boss David Flitcroft and Wigan manager Paul Cook.

In the afternoon kick-off at the Latics' academy training ground, Stags fielded a strong side of whom many will have used the match in a bid to force their way into a starting first team berth.

Mansfield rarely looked in danger of letting this one slip as soon as Jimmy Spencer’s deflected strike found the net mid-way through the first half.

At the other end, Wigan’s youngsters threatened with energy but Mansfield goalkeeper Sam Wilson was scarcely tested throughout the 90 minutes.

It was Wilson, though, who had to make a good stop to his right as early as the seventh minute to turn away a 25-yard- hit from Wigan’s Luke Burgess.

Though Stags soon found their rhythm and sent dangerous, early crosses into the box - from Omari Sterling-James and Hayden White - the latter seeing Jimmy Spencer connect to force a corner.

Frontman Lee Angol first tested the Wigan ‘keeper, from 22 yards, but it was a routine stop.

Ricky Miller then got in on the shooting act when he showed great strength to get beyond two players, but his final drive was turned behind for a corner.

The breakthrough came on 22 minutes.

Jimmy Spencer broke the offside trap to advance into the box, and as Wigan retreated, his shot from 12 yards took a deflection to beat Latics’ shot-stopper Dan Lavercombe.

White almost scored on the half-hour mark but headed over from close range following a super assist from Spencer.

Midfielder Jack Thomas had two attempts to add his name to the scorecard, but a heavy touch and a mis-fired strike from 22 yards was his undoing.

Angol then headed against the crossbar from Penney’s left flank cross, but would not be denied on 44 minutes.

Thomas started the crux of the move on the left and after Spencer’s slide pass found Angol, the ex Peterborough man finished with aplomb from 10 yards.

Goalscoring chances weren’t as plentiful in the second half, though Stags maintained good pressure and fully deserved their ultimate victory.

Two corners in as many second half minutes saw Stags fly out of the half-time traps.

On 54, Ricky Miller, near the goal line, struck towards the inside of the near post, but his effort was beaten away by the 'keeper and then from the follow-up Wigan hacked off the line.

On the stroke of the hour, Wigan sent a dangerous ball into the box from their star man Joe Downey, but a stooping Mwiya Malimo missed the delivery from 12 yards with only Wilson to beat.

Stags made sure of the victory on 68.

Wilson knocked it long and after Spencer helped it on, Miller showed good strength under pressure to get a second shot away inside the area to complete Stags’ treble.

A quartet of changes were made by David Flitcroft in the final half-an-hour - all of which involved youth team scholars/young professionals replacing more experienced team-mates.

In the closing moments, Miller was shown a yellow card for a mis-timed tackle, but it did little to spoil Stags’ jubilation of lifting the trophy which - sportingly - saw Wigan’s players stand to one side to take applause.

STAGS: Wilson, White (Gooden 75), Thomas, Hunt, Penney (Gibbens 69), Sterling-James (Ward 65), Digby, Byrom (Smith 71), Angol, Miller, Spencer





Spencer 23
Angol 45
Miller 69

Every cloud has a silver lining, as they say, and despite a 3-0 defeat to Mansfield Town in the Central League Cup final at Christopher Park, Latics welcomed back Wales international midfielder Shaun MacDonald, 11 months after he broke his leg against Reading in the Sky Bet Championship.

The 29-year-old featured for the full 90 minutes under the watchful eye of manager Paul Cook and his coaching staff, but unfortunately tasted defeat on his return to action, with Jimmy Spencer, Lee Angol and Ricky Miller all on target against a highly experienced Mansfield side.

Latics started the cup final on the front foot and carved out the first opportunity of the game when Luke Burgess stung the gloves of Sam Wilson inside the opening 10 minutes.

The Stags' experience began to show through, however, and before the break they found themselves 2-0 up.

Spencer's deflected effort wrong-footed Dan Lavercombe to give the visitors the lead, before Angol turned in Miller's low cross for 2-0 on the stroke of half time.

The forward, on loan from Peterborough United, grabbed himself a goal in the second half to kill the tie off, tapping in at close range.

Latics battled throughout but couldn't find a way through, despite the best efforts of Mwiya Malumo and substitute Charlie Jolley.

Latics: Lavercombe, Golden, Maffeo, Downey (Capt), Plant, McGuffie, Cotter, MacDonald, Malumo, Burgess, Baningime
Unused sub: Perrin

Mansfield: Wilson, White (Gooden 75), Thomas, Hunt, Penney (Gibbens 69), Digby, Byrom (Smith 71), Sterling-James (Ward 65), Miller, Angol, Spencer
Unused Sub: Sundby


Flitcroft delighted with senior players in reserves’ cup triumph
chad.co.uk, Tuesday 20 March 2018

Mansfield Town boss David Flitcroft was delighted with the application of his senior players in the reserves team today as they won the Central League Cup.

A very experienced Mansfield side won 3-0 in a game switched to opponents Wigan Athletic and said: “I was really pleased with the performance rather than the outcome.

“The minimum given at any football club should be honesty, hard work, sincerity in your performance. You have to you apply yourself.

“It was an experienced team. But I have seen experienced teams not put the shift in that is required. Today the lads have done that.”

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/flitcroft-delighted-with-senior-players-in-reserves-cup-triumph-1-9073970

With the One Call Stadium pitch not recovered from the weekend snow and subsequent thaw, the decision was taken to move the game to Wigan’s training ground.

“It took us two and a half hours to get here,” said Flitcroft. “But I really wanted this game on as it gave me the chance to look at some of the players I’ve not seen in an 11 v 11 game, apart from training, and it was a fantastic workout.

“It was an inexperienced Wigan team but sometimes that makes it harder as you have to keep doing the right thing all the time. “The front three set the precedent. They set the energy level.”



Latest | March 2018