{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from January 2018

11th January 2018 21:22

The Emirates FA Cup - Round Three
Cardiff City 0 - 0 Mansfield Town
Attendance: 6378 (1064 from Mansfield)

Date: 6 January 2018

Martin Shaw at Cardiff City Stadium

Mansfield Town drew 0-0 at the magnificent Cardiff City Stadium, home of both Cardiff City and Wales, to earn a replay in the FA Cup Third Round. Cardiff City are third in the Championship and pushing hard for promotion to the Premier League, and surprisingly put out a full strength side for this tie. But Mansfield fully deserved the draw, with a tremendous display. The Stags worked so hard and limited Cardiff to few opportunities. The game plan was to keep it tight during the first half and stay in the game well into the second half. It worked well. The Stags didn’t have a lot of the ball in the first half but Cardiff created very little. Conrad Logan made two saves, first pushing away a shot from Callum Paterson on 36 minutes, then pushing away a Rhys Healey shot from the edge of the box after a mistake by Alex MacDonald on 40 minutes. Into the second half, gradually Mansfield created more going forward, and it was indeed the Stags who had the best chances to win the game. On 51 minutes, a jinking run forward by MacDonald past two defenders and firing just wide of the right post. On 60 minutes, Alfie Potter robbed possession from Joe Bennett on the right, pushed forward to the edge of the area, laid off to Jimmy Spencer who pulled back from near the byline on the right, the ball was behind Lee Angol but he was able to fire goalwards from 10 yards and it was brilliantly saved at point blank range by keeper Brian Murphy. Angol could have left the ball for CJ Hamilton, who was coming in behind him, but from studying the video, it was still a decent effort from Angol. Then on 79 minutes, a great passage of play from Mansfield, Jacob Mellis found MacDonald who charged forward, twisting and turning away from Lee Tomlin, laid the ball forward and Spencer deflected into the path of Paul Anderson who took a touch to give him a sight of goal from 10 yards, but Junior Hoilett slid in with a goal-saving challenge as Anderson fired goalwards. In the last minute of stoppage time, it was Cardiff who nearly won it with an own goal as Paterson crossed from the left and Krystian Pearce’s header seemed destined for the bottom left corner of his own net before Conrad Logan made a wonderful save clawing it away off the line low to his right. That would have been a travesty if it had been the winner. The Stags were roared on throughout the game by 1000 fans, who created a great atmosphere and enjoyed this performance from their team. The Stags are therefore into the hat for the Fourth Round. The replay will be in around 1.5 weeks, with the exact date to be decided as there is a possibility of being live on TV depending on which other games also go to replays.



MATCH REPORT: Cardiff City 0-0 Mansfield Town
chad.co.uk report by Agency, Saturday 06 January 2018

Mansfield Town earned an FA Cup third-round replay against Cardiff City but could have had so much more. Stags goalkeeper Conrad Logan kept the scores level at half-time before a host of second-half chances went begging as Steve Evans’ side held the Bluebirds to a goalless draw at a near-empty Cardiff City Stadium. Alex MacDonald curled an effort millimetres wide before Lee Angol was denied by Brian Murphy in the Cardiff goal. Paul Anderson had one last chance to seal a famous victory but Evans’ troops will at least be in the hat for the fourth-round draw. Mansfield never looked in danger, despite rarely venturing out of their own half in the opening stages. Rhys Healey and Lee Tomlin wasted early opportunities before the Stags grew into the game and got in behind their hosts. Jacob Mellis won the ball in midfield and found C.J Hamilton with an inch-perfect through ball but Angol failed to get on the end of his low cross. Logan was then equal to efforts from Callum Paterson and Healey as the first-half ended 0-0. Evans’ side had their best opportunity to break the deadlock five minutes into the second-half when MacDonald broke from midfield and weaved his way through a sea of blue shirts before curling a shot just wide. A defensive lapse from Joe Bennett allowed Jimmy Spencer to burst down the right wing and cross but Brian Murphy rushed out to save Angol’s effort. Cardiff went straight down the other end and would have opened the scoring had it not been for some heroic defending from Malvind Benning, who rushed back to block Healey’s goal-bound effort. The visitors had another golden opportunity to snatch the tie when Anderson broke into the box and saw his shot deflected just wide. Logan then produced a stunning stop from what would have been an own goal to tee up a meeting at Field Mill.

Cardiff City (4-2-3-1): Murphy, Richards , Manga, Morrison (C) (Damour 74), Bennett, Halford, Paterson, Healey (Hoilett 77), Tomlin, Mendez-Laing, Zohore (Pilkington 80). Subs not used: Etheridge, Feeney, M Harris, Pilkington, Bogle

Mansfield Town (4-4-2): Logan, Anderson, Pearce (C), Bennett, Benning, Potter, Mellis (Atkinson 90), MacDonald, Hamilton, Hemmings (Spencer 45), Angol (Sterling-James 75). Subs not used: Olejnik, Digby, Spencer, White, Butcher.

Attendance: 6,378.
Referee: Lee Probert
Star man: MacDonald (Mansfield midfielder)

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-cardiff-city-0-0-mansfield-town-1-8943731


Match Report: Cardiff City 0-0 Mansfield Town
City will compete in a Third Round replay with the Stags...

Cardiff City were held to a goalless draw in the Emirates FA Cup Third Round at Cardiff City Stadium on Saturday 6th January.

The Bluebirds made five changes for the tie, with Sean Morrison, Jazz Richards, Lee Tomlin, Greg Halford and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing all coming into the starting eleven for the fixture in the Welsh capital.

City started on the front foot, and Tomlin was first to try his luck. Good work in the build-up saw the ball drop to the 28 year-old on the edge of the Mansfield penalty area, but his drilled effort skimmed wide of the far post.


More Bluebirds pressure continued throughout the half, and City registered their first shot on target through Callum Paterson. The Scot dropped a shoulder in the middle of the park and travelled 10 yards before seeing his deflected attempt pushed away by Conrad Logan in the Mansfield goal.

Five minutes before half-time Healey stung the palms of the Stags ‘keeper. Some good pressure saw City win the ball in the Mansfield half, before Healey’s effort was pushed wide. Tomlin’s resulting corner was headed straight into Logan’s arms by Morrison, who made a strong return from injury.

In first half stoppage time, C.J. Hamilton headed high over Brian Murphy’s crossbar, before Mendez-Laing’s effort was kept out at the other end as the Bluebirds looked to break the deadlock.

Five minutes after the interval City were inches away from taking the lead. Tomlin played a short corner to Joe Bennett, who’s cross was headed just wide by Paterson, with Logan scrambling.

The Stags had their own chance to go ahead a few minutes later though, as Alfie Potter’s curling effort from the edge of the box drifted just wide.

Warnock’s men soon stamped further authority on the tie, and after winning a free-kick on the left, the ball dropped to Healey, who rifled over.

Murphy came to Cardiff’s rescue with half an hour to go, as a low cross found it’s way to Lee Angol, whose effort from point blank range was brilliantly thwarted.

Healey was again involved as City turned up a gear, with a through ball from Paterson finding the 23 year-old, but the Mansfield defence managed to block his goal-bound effort away.

Hamilton was Mansfield’s main threat down the left-hand side and he tested Murphy with a near post drive, but the Irish stopper was equal to it, before Paul Anderson’s effort from the edge of the box was well blocked by Bruno Ecuele Manga.

City took the game to their opponents in the final minutes, as Tomlin found space on the edge of the area, and struck a strong effort that Logan pushed away - but the tie remained a stalemate and City will travel to Field Mill for a Third Round replay on the week commencing Monday 15th January, 2018.

Cardiff City: Murphy, Bennett, Morrison (Damour, 74’), Ecuele Manga, Richards, Tomlin, Zohore (Pilkington, 80’), Halford, Paterson, Mendez-Laing, Healey (Hoilett, 77’)

Subs not used: Etheridge, Feeney, Bogle, M.Harris.

Mansfield Town: Logan, Bennett, Benning, Pearce, MacDonald, Mellis (Atkinson, 90’), Angol (Sterling-James, 75’), Anderson, Potter, Hamilton, Hemmings (Spencer, 45’)

Subs not used: Olejnik, Digby, White, Butcher.


Cardiff City 0-0 Mansfield Town: Bluebirds forced into FA Cup replay by hard-working Stags
January 6, 2018 Jamie Kemble

Attendance: 6,378

Cardiff City were forced into an FA Cup replay after drawing with League Two Mansfield Town in their home Third Round clash.

The Bluebirds failed to book their place in the Fourth Round following a goalless draw at home to Mansfield Town on Saturday afternoon.

It was the worst possible result in many ways for Neil Warnock and his injury-hit squad who must now travel to to East Midlands in just under two week’s time. The result means the Bluebirds are now five without a win in all competitions.

Mansfield Town were resilient to deny the Bluebirds and they were unlucky not to convert chances of their own. Both sides will be in Monday’s Fourth Round draw, but only one will progress from the replay at the One Call Stadium, likely to be on the 16th or 17th of January.

Match Report

In a quiet opening, it was Cardiff who dominated proceedings as one would expect given the difference in level between the two teams.

Though, Mansfield were resilient and their hard-working nature, something you would expect from a Steve Evans side, meant they made it tough for their Championship hosts.

Rhys Healey looked bright down the left wing for the Bluebirds, but his early cross wouldn’t trouble Conrad Logan in the Mansfield goal.

The youngster was then found in the box by a Zohore cross, but he couldn;t sort his feet out, making a mess of the volley.

Cardiff grew further into the game with half-time approaching. Lee Tomlin and Rhys Healey continued to switch roles, one behind the striker and the other out wide, and Mansfield didn’t look all-together comfortable with that.

Just before the break, Rhys Healey did manage to get a shot on target, forcing Logan into a save and Sean Morrison did the same from a corner kick, heading into the former Leicester stopper’s arms from the edge of the six-yard box.

Mansfield made the odd venture forward, but they seldom worked the ball into the Cardiff box - Jimmy Spencer headed the only half-chance well over the bar.

Mendez-Laing would end the half on a bright note wit his cross-come-shot being clawed away by Logan, but that was probably the closest either team would come, heading in goalless at the break.

Mansfield started the second half the stronger of the two sides with Steve Evans’ half-time words still ringing in their ears and they would come mightily close to taking the lead.

Alex MacDonald made a great run through the centre of the park, a neat dummy took him past his man, and a placed effort looked to be heading into the top corner before dropping wide of the post.

The visitors tried their luck again 15 minutes later when Joe Bennett gave the ball away in a risky position. The ball fell to Angol on the edge of the six-yard box after the initial cross was poorly cleared and Brian Murphy had to pull off a good stop.

Cardiff responded well to the danger and again it was Rhys Healey who would cause problems, breaking down the left side of the box before slotting past the keeper, only for Benning to clear off the line.

The Stags replied with another good chance following a 15-minute quiet spell. Paul Anderson doing well to track a deflected ball before controlling and getting a shot on-goal, but Cardiff substitute Junior Hoilett threw himself in the way to deny him.

Lee Tomlin was next to come close, driving a long-range effort towards the top corner but Conrad Logan did well to deny the midfielder with a two-handed save.

Logan was again called into action at the death, doing well to stretch and push away a late header from Greg Halford, rounding off an impressive display in goal.

Goalless at the full-time whistle and these two teams will meet again in just under two week’s time.

Man of the Match - Lee Tomlin

He’s hadhis critics this season and the jury is still out with his lack of fitness, but he got much-needed minutes today and impressed.

Classy with plenty of neat touches and he looked to be a pivotal point in everything Cardiff did going forward, something he strides to be.

You would expect Tomlin to stand out in a game like this, but credit to him, he put in a good shift against League Two opponents and didn’t do himself any harm ahead of the visit of Sunderland next weekend.

Sean Morrison also impressed on his return, before going off on the 75th minute, resting up for next weekend. Rhys Healey was another who impressed despite playing out of position.

Final Word

The worst possible result for Neil Warnock who now has another fixture to worry about with his injury-plagued squad.

Cardiff weren’t poor as such here, but Mansfield more than matched them with their effort and it has to be said, they deserved at least a replay.

This Cardiff team was a little thrown together and that was evident at times, especially at the back, but Warnock’s men still should have had enough to progress.

The Bluebirds are next in action against Sunderland at home next Saturday and while the faces will be different, they’ll need to up their game to avoid making it six without a win.


Cardiff City 0-0 Mansfield Town: Bluebirds get unwanted replay after drab FA Cup draw with Stags
Both sides had chances but neither could break the deadlock at Cardiff City Stadium
By Dominic Booth, 6 JAN 2018

On a freezing cold January day with not even a buoyant and healthy crowd - nor a goal - to warm your cockles, Cardiff City's winter frustrations lingered on.

That they might feel content with the fact they managed to end their four-game losing run with this goalless draw against Mansfield, will be scant consolation for Neil Warnock. It's a well-worn cliché, but the last thing the Bluebirds wanted here with their long injury list and hectic schedule, was a replay.

They've got one, after numerous missed chances from both sides, punctuated a game that was seriously short of quality.


Warnock, after naming a strong side with big guns Kenneth Zohore and Nathaniel Mendez-Laing joined by the returning captain Sean Morrison, will feel deflated. His team had chances to kill off the spirited Stags.

The Bluebirds, having lost four on the bounce before this one, were desperate for that confidence boosting victory. Warnock's team selection suggested as much. He wasn't messing about. But all he has to show for his attacking selection is a mid-January trip to the East Midlands for another clash with League Two Mansfield.

For fourth year in succession, Cardiff City Stadium played host to a poorly attended, fairy drab, FA Cup third round encounter with the opening stages unfolding without major incident. The first half hour passed by without so much as a shot on target. And while it got better - and more frenetic - after the break, neither side could complain.

Mansfied's resolute defence stood up to the challenge, while Cardiff's blunt forwards didn't really deserve a goal.

Maybe it was the somewhat lifeless atmosphere.

The attendance record to avoid was the 4,194 who watched the 3-1 win over Colchester in 2015. Defeats at home to Shrewsbury and Fulham in the intervening years also saw minuscule FA Cup crowds crowds.

This was another similarly poor crowd, a little more than recent years at 6,378. It was indicative of how the league has taken preference for most Cardiff fans this season, even though Warnock wanted that win.

Mansfield might have appeared like opposition of Shrewsbury and Colchester's calibre, but they came to the Welsh capital having lost just once in 18 games in all competitions, sitting sixth in League Two. Their manager Steve Evans had been very complimentary to opposite number Warnock in the build up, but he promised a full-blooded battle.

And while it never lit the blue touch paper, it was tight and competitive right to the last.

The Stags, backed by a healthy away support numbering around 1,000, looked to make early inroads. With a bold 4-4-2, strikers Kane Hemmings and Lee Angol looked to expose any rustiness lingering in Morrison, back from a groin injury.

But it was Cardiff who had the first clearcut chance through Rhys Healey - so impressive five days earlier against Queens Park Rangers - who found acres of space in the box only to slice wide from Zohore's cross.

Callum Paterson then burst through on the edge of the box to test visiting goalkeeper Conrad Logan for the first time. That it look 36 minutes for either 'keeper to make a save summed up a deathly quiet first half - in more ways than one.

Logan was then on hand twice in quick succession at the end of the first half.

First Healey and then Morrison latched onto balls from Lee Tomlin to test the Mansfield gloveman, but, like their teammates in the opening 45 minutes, they couldn't find a way through.

Whether Cardiff's improved attacking intent (compared with recent games) was a product of the opposition's limitations, Warnock's selection or simply the fact that they desperately didn't want a replay, it was difficult to tell. In any case, Mansfield did their best to threaten Brian Murphy's goal after the break, with Angol particularly dangerous. So too Alfie Potter.

So before Cardiff could try and make their dominance count, Mansfield enjoyed their best two chances. Alex MacDonald swerved between two challenges and curled goalwards, with Murphy relied to see the shot fly wide.

Murphy was then spread eagled to save at the feet of Angol. The Mansfield striker really should have made it 1-0 and capitalised on the Bluebirds' missed chances.

As the game wore on, there was a feeling that Cardiff's superior quality would begin to show. Tomlin in particular was a step ahead of the Stags, and his own teammates at times.

But before referee Lee Probert brought the curtain down on this lifeless encounter, Cardiff had a last gasp Junior Hoilett block to thank to keep it scoreless, plus another save from Murphy.

And while Logan's stoppage time save from his Krystian Pearce's header almost gifted Cardiff a precious 1-0 win, the hosts couldn't grumble with the scoreline.



Latest | January 2018