{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from December 2017

31st December 2017 19:50

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Grimsby Town 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
M.Rose 10. Angol 80
Attendance: 5704 (682 from Mansfield)

Date: 26 December 2017

Martin Shaw at Blundell Park

Mansfield Town earned a deserved draw at Grimsby this afternoon thanks to a Lee Angol equaliser on 80 minutes, which cancelled out an early goal from former Stag Mitch Rose. Grimsby were in front on 10 minutes. Hayden White tried to beat two men halfway inside his own half, lost his footing and lost the ball, allowing Mitch Rose to run at goal and into the area, he got a bit of luck as the ball ricocheted off Johnny Hunt’s heel allowing him a free shot past Conrad Logan from 12 yards. Good play from Mitch Rose, though he had that little bit of luck along the way, but poor from Hayden White. White needs to learn to try to go past players in the right area of the pitch, and not lose the ball halfway inside his own half. During an even first half, the Stags had chances to equalise as Krystian Pearce fired wide from a great position which he created with a wonderful first touch in the area after a cross from White was flicked on by Paul Anderson, and a clean header from Zander Diamond which was straight at the keeper from an Alex MacDonald cross. At the other end, White partially atoned for his error, with a great diving challenge to block a goalbound shot from Martyn Woolford. The Stags could have been level on 54 minutes when Paul Anderson headed straight at the keeper from Rhys Bennett’s cross, but straight to the other end and Mitch Rose was within a whisker of doubling the lead. Jamille Matt’s clever ball put Mitch Rose through on goal in the area, he tried to take the ball past Logan, but Logan got enough on the ball to knock it against Rose and just wide of the post. Good from Logan and he earned the bit of luck which sent the ball just wide. Mitch Rose was close again on 76 minutes, as a corner from the right to the far post, was headed back across goal by Danny Collins, and Mitch Rose flicked a header towards the net from close range, but Kane Hemmings was up to block the header away for a corner. The Stags were level on 80 minutes. CJ Hamilton ran towards the box on the left, and crossed into the middle, full back Ben Davies took a terrible first touch presenting substitute Lee Angol with a chance to shoot, which he accepted gleefully, firing in off the left post from 10 yards. A howler from Ben Davies but clinical from Angol. A great moment for Angol, who likes playing against Grimsby and hopefully he can gain confidence from this and kick on now. The Stags had a glorious chance to win it on 83 minutes as Paul Anderson put in a wonderful ball from the right and Danny Rose knocked over the bar from 5 yards with his right foot. The ball was bouncing up and in hindsight he’ll probably feel he should have tried to head it in. Then on 85 minutes, sub Alfie Potter cut into the area on the left and sent a cross-shot just wide of the right post. On 87 minutes, a great cross from MacDonald from the left and Pearce powered a header wide of the left post. That was a great chance. So Mansfield ended up looking the more likely winners in a game in which they trailed for 70 minutes, but overall a draw was fair in my opinion in what was an exciting game in the second half. Mansfield remain just three points outside the top 3, and one point outside the play-offs. On to Wycombe on Saturday, and a big test against a side three points ahead of the Stags.

Steve Evans made four changes to the side that beat Morecambe on Saturday and they were mainly about bringing freshness to the side during the busy Christmas period. Pearce came in for Bennett. Evans explained that Bennett looked tired in spells on Saturday. Hunt came in for Benning. Evans explained that if it had been a home game, Benning would probably have played. Evans said that the midfield was picked to be full of energy. Anderson came in on the right wing, Mellis came in to the centre, MacDonald moved into the centre. Out went Digby and Butcher.

Grimsby made one change to the side that lost at Luton. Woolford came in for Jaiyesimi. Mitch Rose started in central midfield. They had the hugely talented Siriki Dembele on the right wing. He is expected to be off to a higher league in January, and apparently two Premier League teams are tracking him. Prior to the defeat at Luton, Grimsby had a major upturn in form, with three wins, plus a draw at Notts County, in the previous four games.

Before the game, I chatted to Steve Evans about the actions of 2 or 3 supporters in the West Stand lower tier who were completely over the top in their abuse aimed at the Stags management in the dugout when Kane Hemmings was substituted on Saturday. Several fans who sit in that area of the ground had contacted me since Saturday to give me their account of events and ask that I explain to Steve Evans that this is just a minority of people displaying idiotic behaviour, and most fans are right behind them and the team. Evans has told me previously that he knows he is sometimes a bit immature on the touchline, but he’s doing his absolute best to get Mansfield promoted. Incidentally he told me today that on his 5 previous visits to Grimsby as a manager, he’s been sent off every time. Today despite plenty of provocation from the home fans, he managed to avoid getting sent off, and though he was spoken to by the ref at one point, it seemed to be over a trivial point.

It was a bright and sunny Boxing Day. Perfect for football.



Mansfield Town strike late to rescue point at Grimsby Town Picture Andrew Roe/AHPIX LTD, Football, EFL Sky Bet League Two, Grimsby Town v Mansfield Town, Blundell Park, 26/12/17, K.O 1pm Mansfield's Lee Angol celebrates his equaliser Andrew Roe>>>>>>>07826527594 SPORTS REPORTER Email Published: 15:33 Tuesday 26 December 2017 Lee Angol came off the bench to rescue a point for Mansfield Town as they drew with Grimsby Town after Mitch Rose opened the scoring against his former club at Blundell Park. And it looked as though his tenth minute strike was going to be enough to settle the scores on Boxing Day. However, substitute Angol had other ideas, prodding home from eight yards with ten minutes left on the clock. And that was enough to prevent the Stags from slipping to only a second defeat in 15 League games. With Christmas festivities beginning to settle down, the visitors gave Siriki Dembele too much room on the edge of the box - inside the opening minute - but he couldn’t pull the trigger. But when a more telling opportunity came, it was taken by a familiar face. Rose skipped past a couple of challenges, putting Mansfield on the back foot before firing a left-footed attempt past Conrad Logan. Zander Diamond then had two opportunities for the Stags - but the skipper dragged wide, before heading straight into the arms of James McKeown. At the other end, Sam Jones and Martyn Woolford both tried their luck from range, but it remained 1-0 at the break. Upon the restart, Nathan Clarke saw his powerful header, from a corner, cleared off the line. But the Stags, who has lost just once in 14 league games, began to fashion chances of their own. Angol picked Clarke’s pocket in the Grimsby box for the equaliser, while Danny Rose and Alex MacDonald both might have won it. MacDonald forced a good save from substitute Ben Killip, while Rose blazed over the crossbar after arriving late in the box. Rose also struck wide on the stretch, at the other end, as both sides had to settle for a point.

Grimsby: (4-4-2): McKeown (Killip 32), Mills, Clarke, Collins, Davies, Dembele, Rose, Summerfield, Woolford, Jones (Hooper 75), Matt (Vernon 70) Subs not used: Dixon, K Osborne, Berrett, Jaiyesimi

Mansfield: (4-4-2): Logan, White (Bennett 6), Pearce, Diamond, Hunt (Potter 77), Anderson, Mellis, MacDonald, Hamilton, Rose, Hemmings (Angol 78) Subs not used: Olejnik, Spencer, Butcher, Atkinson

Referee: Darren England

Attendance: 5,704 (682 away)

Read more at: https://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-strike-late-to-rescue-point-at-grimsby-town-1-8927505


Match Report: Grimsby Town 1-1 Mansfield Town
Late equaliser denies battling Mariners maximum points.

Grimsby Town were forced to settle for a share of the spoils as a late equaliser denied them victory over Mansfield Town at Blundell Park.

In an entertaining, full-blooded Boxing Day contest, the Mariners took an early lead when Mitch Rose struck after 10 minutes.

Town, who lost goalkeeper James McKeown to injury just after the half-hour, had opportunities to add to their lead but their visitors came into the game more after the break.


A superb defensive performance from the hosts had started to look like it might bring the reward of three points but in the end, substitute Lee Angol brought Mansfield level when he scored with his first touch on 80 minutes.

After that, both sides pressed for a winner but neither was able to grab that decisive goal an the game finished level.

One change was made to the Town side that lost at Luton on Saturday, with Martyn Woolford making a return to the starting line-up in place of Diallang Jaiyesimi.

Otherwise, it was as you were, with McKeown lining up in goal behind a defence of Zak Mills, Nathan Clarke, Danny Collins and Ben Davies.

Siriki Dembele, Rose, Luke Summerfield and Woolford were the midfielders, with Sam Jones and Jamille Matt continuing their partnership in attack.

The Grimsby substitutes were Ben Killip, Karleigh Osborne, Scott Vernon, James Berrett, Paul Dixon, JJ Hooper and Jaiyesimi.

Mansfield boss Steve Evans made four changes to his side after their win against Morecambe at the weekend, with Krystian Pearce and Johnny Hunt coming into the defence and Paul Anderson and Jacob Mellis chosen in midfield.

Mansfield sat three points and three places above the Mariners in the League Two table at kick-off, with the visitors looking to go as high as third with a win ahead of the rest of the day's fixtures, while Grimsby would be aiming to get closer to the play-off positions by taking maximum points.

Town were straight on the attack with a piece of trickery from Dembele on the right earning a throw-in, before Mansfield's first attack saw striker Danny Rose take advantage of a mistake at the back to play the ball for Kane Hemmings, although it went harmlessly through to McKeown.

After a low-key opening to the game, the Mariners took the lead on 10 minutes when ROSE picked the ball up in midfield and took it forward, working his way into the penalty area and getting the ball back from a ricochet before picking his spot to beat visiting keeper Conrad Logan from 12 yards.

Mansfield's reply saw a free kick from Hayden White headed clear, before Pearce fired wide fom the edge of the box.

Another White free kick from the right on 14 minutes was half-cleared and the away side worked the ball back into the box but Zander Diamond's header was held by McKeown.

Town then attacked again, with Woolford seeing a shot blocked ater good play by Matt and Dembele, before Jones sent an effort over the bar soon afterwards.

Mansfield's Rose fired a first-time shot over the bar at the other end, before a foul by Town's Rose on 23 minutes earned him the first yellow card of the game. The resulting free kick from Alex Macdonald caused no problems as the ball was caught by McKeown.

A foul on Matt gave Town a free kick in a promising position on the right four minutes later but Summerfield's delivery was glanced away for a throw-in, which was then turned into a corner when Clarke's long throw was put behind. Summerfield's dangerous delivery from the flag initially looked to have caused problems but the ball was eventually claimed by Logan.

The Mariners were forced into making a change in goal just after the half-hour when McKeown, who had received treatment shortly before, pulled up with an injury and signalled that he could not continue. Killip came on in his place.

White was booked for bringing Jones down on the Town left after the striker had pushed the ball past him on 35 minutes. Summerfield's free kick was too close to Logan, who caught the ball.

Jones battled well to win a throw-in near the corner flag on the right soon afterwards but Clarke's long throw was headed clear by Pearce.

After creating little of note so far, Mansfield were beginning to apply more pressure as half-time loomed, albeit without troubling Killip.

Town were given another opportunity when Rose was hauled down by Johnny Hunt as he looked to burst into the box on 43 minutes. The left-back was booked before Sumerfield took the free kick, which was flicked clear by Mansfield's Rose before it could reach Clarke at the far post.

Four added minutes was signalled to be played before the referee stopped the game again to have words with Mansfield boss Evans.

A foul on Matt by White then gave Town a free kick on the left but Summerfield's ball was headed wide.

No further chances came before the referee's half-time whistle, meaning the Mariners' one-goal advantage remained intact at the break.

Rhys Bennett replaced White for the away side before the restart and an early attempt from distance by striker Rose caused no concern as it sailed over the bar.

A cross from Hunt soon afterwards was headed back across goal by Rose but was caught by Killip.

Town had an opportunity to make it 2-0 on 50 minutes when a cross from Davies on the left was blocked and the ball came to Jones but he could only divert it wide.

A free kick from Summerfield on the left was then headed away, before Killip had to be alert to stop a header from Macdonald at his near post.

Mansfield's Rose then became the latest to go into the referee's notebook as he was booked for kicking the ball away.

Another great chance for Town to double their lead came on 55 minutes when Matt's pass found Rose but he could not get his feet right to find the net, instead appearing off-balance as he put his shot wide of the near post.

The game had livened up, with chances now coming at both ends as a shot was hit into the side-netting by Anderson after a cross had been fired by CJ Hamilon from the left.

Matt was then booked for a foul inside the Mansfield half, before a cross-shot from Mills hit the side-netting.

Killip raced off his line to beat Hemmings to a through-ball and clear the danger on 63 minutes, then Matt was penalised for a foul near the halfway line but Macdonald's free kick was headed away by Clarke.

A Hunt cross was blocked for a corner by Mills on 67 minutes but Macdonald's delivery from the flag was dealt with by the Town defence and a follow-up effort from Pearce was blocked.

Mills became the latest to be booked for delaying a free kick by kicking the ball away, then Grimsby's second substitution saw Vernon come on in place of Matt.

A cross from Macdonald on the right was headed away by Clarke as Mansfield continued to put pressure on the home backline in search of an equaliser.

Hooper replaced Jones in Town's final change with 15 minutes to go and his first contribution was to win a corner on the right. Summerfield's delivery found Clarke at the far post but his header was blocked, with another corner the result. This time, the referee spotted an infringement as the ball came across and blew for a Mansfield free kick.

Alfie Potter replaced Hunt for Mansfield just before Dembele combined with Vernon on the right to launch another Town attack, which eventually led to a free kick.

Lee Angol was the final Mansfield substitute to be sent on as he replaced Hemmings in attack with 12 minutes left on the clock and the game still in the balance.

And this time, the substitute had an immediate impact as he brought the visitors level with his first contribution to the game. The ball bounced around inside the box as Town, for once, failed to clear their lines and when it broke to ANGOL, he smashed it into the net off the post.

Mansfield's tails were now up and they could have taken the lead when a low cross found its way to Rose but he sent it over the bar.

Town's Rose then won a corner on the right with six minutes left but Logan came off his line to collect the ball from the flag-kick and managed to hold onto it.

Potter fizzed a shot wide of the far post as Mansfield looked for a winner, then a cross from Vernon was eventually cleared.

Angol won a corner on the left which was dealt with by the Town defence, then Pearce planted a header wide after a cross from the left.

At the other end, Dembele did well to work his way into the box before playing a low ball across that eventually led to a shot from Summerfield being deflected away for a corner. That led to a throw-in, which in turn saw a penalty appeal from the home fans turned down after Rose went down inside the box.

Both sides were continuing to push for a winner as three added minutes was signalled, but that crucial goal was not to come and instead, it ended honours even.

Town are next in action on Saturday, when they host Accrington Stanley.

1 James McKeown
12 Zak Mills
2 Ben Davies
5 Nathan Clarke (C)
6 Danny Collins
19 Luke Summerfield
27 Siriki Dembele
8 Mitch Rose
25 Martyn Woolford
29 Jamille Matt
10 Sam Jones


30 Ben Killip
3 Paul Dixon
14 Karleigh Osborne
7 James Berrett
20 Diallang Jaiyesimi
9 JJ Hooper
21 Scott Vernon

Mansfield Town

1 Conrad Logan
16 Hayden White
19 Johnny Hunt
6 Zander Diamond (C)
5 Krystian Pearce
8 Jacob Mellis
10 Paul Anderson
7 Alexander MacDonald
22 CJ Hamilton
23 Kane Hemmings
32 Danny Rose


12 Bobby Olejnik
2 Rhys Bennett
11 Will Atkinson
24 Callum Butcher
17 Alfie Potter
9 Lee Angol
15 Jimmy Spencer

Attendance: 5,704 (682 away)

Referee: Darren England


Grimsby Town 1 Mansfield Town 1 REPORT - Mariners strike early but Stags hit back
ByLiam Wood

Grimsby Town and Mansfield Town played out a 1-1 draw in the lunchtime kick-off on Boxing Day at Blundell Park.

Mitch Rose grabbed the opener against his former club, and it looked as though his tenth minute strike was going to separate the sides.

However, substitute Lee Angol had other ideas for the visitors.


He came off Stags bench to earn a share of the spoils, with a close-range finish ten minutes from time.

With the Christmas festivities beginning to settle down, the Mariners launched into their Boxing Day clash with just one change to their starting XI.

In came the experienced Martyn Woolford, while Diallang Jaiyesimi had to settle for a place on the bench.

Nathan Clarke led out Town as they looked to get back to winning ways after the 2-0 defeat at table-topping Luton Town.

And once the action begun, their intent to land all three points was clear.

Inside the opening minute, a burst from Siriki Dembele almost presented him with a chance to pull the trigger.

But the Mariners didn’t have to wait long for a better opportunity.

Rose drove forward against his former club - before taking advantage of a slip to fire a left-footed opener past Conrad Logan. Cue the Boxing Day celebrations.

Mansfield went in search of an instant equaliser - with Zander Diamond threatening twice, firstly with a close-range strike, then a header which James McKeown clutched safely in his arms.

It was to be his last involvement, though, as the stopper was soon forced off with an groin problem.

On came Ben Killip for his Football League debut.

Sam Jones and Woolford both tried their luck from distance, but Town had to settle for just the one goal advantage at half-time.

Upon the restart, Zak Mills launched it into the box, where former Sheffield United winger Woolford picked up the loose ball and poked wide of Logan’s left-hand post.

At the other end, substitute Killip had to be on red alert to push Alex MacDonald’s header away from danger, before the same man went close soon after with a strike that hit the side netting.

Town were enjoying more than their fair share of promising moments, though, with Dembele and Jones the chief tormentors.

Next up to the plate for the home side was Clarke. Indeed, the skipper rose highest from a corner and his header looked to be heading for the top corner.

It was met on the line by a glancing touch that proved to be telling.

That's because less than two minutes after coming off the bench, frontman Angol found half a yard of space, and that was all he needed to turn his marker and find the bottom corner of Killip’s net.

Things might have taken a turn for the worse for Town, too, but Danny Rose failed to get on the end of Paul Anderson’s devilish.

At the other end, Rose was pegged back as he went toe to toe with his marker, but in the end, both teams had to settle for a share of the spoils.


Grimsby Town 1-1 Mansfield Town PLAYER RATINGS - Who performed well on Boxing Day?
Sports writer Liam Wood runs the rule after the Mariners were made to settle for a point at lunchtime

Mitch Rose and Lee Angol traded blows as Grimsby Town and Mansfield Town played out a 1-1 draw on Boxing Day.

After the former Stags midfielder had opened the scoring, with his fifth of the season, it looked as though Rose had added another winner to his collection, but Angol had other ideas.


Indeed, the frontman came off the bench to equaliser ten minutes from time. But who stood-out for Town in the lunchtime kick-off?

James McKEOWN: Took command of his area before injury cruelly cut short his afternoon 6/10

Zak MILLS: Won his battle down the right-hand side, and got forward with plenty of purpose 7/10

Nathan CLARKE: Headed almost everything that came his way, and went close from a corner 7/10

Danny COLLINS: Brushed off a couple of uncharacteristic slips with a typically solid display 6/10

Ben DAVIES: Came up with a couple of brave, crucial blocks on the left-hand side of defence 6/10

Siriki DEMBELE: Had the Stags retreating on more than one occasion. Town’s most likely man 7/10

Mitch ROSE: Popped up with the opener against his old club. Another top display 7/10 (STAR MAN)

Luke SUMMERFIELD: Buzzed around in the middle third, and kept things ticking over nicely 6/10

Martyn WOOLFORD: Recalled to the starting XI to add a little nous and experience to the side 6/10

Sam JONES: Showed one or two neat touches, but tailed off slightly after the half-time whistle 6/10

Jamille MATT: Gave the Stags plenty to think about with another menacing display up front 7/10


Ben Killip (McKeown 32): Fared well on his Football League debut, having been called to replace the injured McKeown…6

Scott Vernon (Matt 69): Almost crept past the last man on two occasions…6

JJ Hooper (Jones 75): Worked hard without getting in sight of the target…6



Latest | December 2017