{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2017

26th November 2017 20:39

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Stevenage
Hemmings 24
Attendance: 3353 (141 from Stevenage)

Date: 18 November 2017

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town beat Stevenage 1-0 at home thanks to a goal from Kane Hemmings, his third of the season and second in consecutive home games. The win should have been much more comfortable as the Stags missed a number of glorious chances to put the game to bed, as well as being denied a goal which appeared initially to be given by the referee who then disallowed it. The only goal of the game came when Joel Byrom’s free kick from just inside the Stevenage half was straight down the middle, the keeper Joe Fryer came to clear away, missed it, and the ball rebounded off defender Jack King to Hemmings to sweep into the empty net from 6 yards, on 24 minutes. Controversy on 57 minutes, as the Stags thought they were 2-0 up. Another Byrom free kick into the box was headed straight up in the air by a defender, Bennett and goalkeeper Fryer rose for the high ball, the keeper let the ball through his hands above Bennett’s head, and from the video does not appear to be fouled by Bennett. The loose ball fell for Hemmings who fired in from 3 yards. The referee appeared to give the goal by pointing to the halfway line, the Stevenage keeper booted the ball away in frustration as the Stags players celebrated, before the referee seemed to change him mind and give a free kick. The Stags had enough chances to make the game safe though, none better than Hemmings himself who fired wide from a great position after good play by MacDonald, and then sub Atkinson who got past one man in the box before somehow his shot from 8 yards was deflected wide after terrific play by Hamilton. The misses weren’t costly in the end. Overall a good performance and a deserved win. The Stags are up to 8th, 2 points behind 6th and 7th place. And unbeaten for 8 games: 2 league wins, 3 league draws, 3 cup wins. On to Port Vale on Tuesday, a team that are on a good run after a terrible start to the season.

Before the game, an excellent rendition of the Last Post to commentate those who have given their lives.

Danny Rose was suspended after picking up his 5th booking of the season at Coventry. Jacob Mellis and Krystian Pearce were both available again after being suspended at Coventry. Mansfield have been shown more yellow cards this season than any other club in the top four divisions before today. Mellis came back into the side, but Pearce was kept out of the side with Bennett and Diamond in such good form in central defence last week. So there were two changes from last Saturday, with Jimmy Spencer replacing Rose, and Mellis replacing Anderson.

Before the pre-match press interviews, Steve Evans asked me to name the team. He had asked me to do that before the Exeter and Coventry games as well, and on both occasions I got ten players right out of 11. This time I predicted with a smile that I would get 11 out of 11. He pulled a £20 note out of pocket, handed it to Mark Stevenson and said it was mine if I got them all right. I did get 11 out of 11, and he duly handed me the money!

Stevenage were unchanged from the side that drew with Notts County last week, meaning that Matt Godden, who was prolific last season, but who had gone off injured last week, was able to start.

It was an overcast but fine day in Mansfield.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 1 Stevenage 0 - Stags extend unbeaten run to eight
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 18 November 2017

Mansfield Town made it eight games unbeaten with a 1-0 home success against Stevenage, thanks to an error from visiting keeper Joe Fryer. The young Middlesbrough loanee spilled a long, high Joel Bryom free kick on 24 minutes to gift Kane Hemmings his first home goal. When Fryer failed to hold the ball once more on 53 minutes, Hemmings thought he’d scored again, but after seeming to give the goal, the referee suddenly awarded Stevenage a free kick instead. Only leading 1-0 made it a nervy second half, but the visitors were poor and failed to manage a single shot on target all game. The Stags were excellent in the first half with Jacob Mellis, Joel Byrom and Alex MacDonald in magnificent form. The second half was much scrappier with the home side very comfortable. Jimmy Spencer was chosen to replace suspended striker Danny Rose, the club’s current top scorer and worked hard, leading the line well. The only other change was Mellis, back from a one game ban, coming in for Paul Anderson into the midfield. Stevenage named an unchanged side which meant top scorer Matty Godden was declared fit after leaving the pitch injured against Notts County last weekend. Stags tested Fryer in the opening minute as Hamilton fired an angled shot at him at the near post as the visitors tried to clear a Byrom free kick. But Stags could have fallen behind from Stevenage’s first attack on three minutes as Bennett failed to cut out Whelpdale’s pass into the box and Godden smashed a rising shot just over the top. Pett was then too high with an effort from 20 yards. On 10 minutes Diamond headed a Byrom corner back across goal and Spencer rose to power his header over the bar. There was danger at the other end as Whelpdale retrieved the ball from Logan’s punch away and turned inside only to slice his finish wide of the far post, having done the hard bit in making space for the shot. MacDonald tried to catch Fryer napping with a shot at his near post from a short corner on 16 minutes, but the keeper had it safely covered. Newton’s late tackle on Hunt on 17 minutes saw players racing in to remonstrate and the referee eventually produce a deserved yellow card. Mansfield began to take a grip and were rewarded on 24 minutes with a goal out of nothing, thanks to a blooper from Stevenage keeper Fryer. Fryer looked favourite to grab a Byrom free kick into the box. But he failed to get hold of it and the ball ran loose behind him for Hemmings to tuck away one of the easiest goals he will ever score. White sent a low shot across goal soon after and two more corners followed as Stags went for a second. Byrom conceded a free kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the box on 32 minutes and Stags were relieved to see Martin’s free kick dip onto the roof of the net. Back came Mansfield and crisp passes from MacDonald and Mellis worked the ball to Spencer on the left of the box on 35 minutes and he forced Fryer to parry his finish. Two minutes were added on and in that added time the visitors almost sneaked an equaliser as Whelpdale fired a shot from the right of the box through a crowd of players and wide of the far post with any deflection likely to take it into the home net. Two minutes after the restart MacDonald sent Stags’ first corner of the half to the near post where Spencer’s cushioned header forced Fryer into a good save. Stags then appeared to have gone 2-0 up on 57 minutes. Fryer once again failed to hold the ball under pressure as Stevenage struggled to clear a Byrom free kick and Hemmings again punished him from close range. The goal seemed to have been given and the players celebrated only to suddenly see a free kick had been given for a foul on the keeper and quickly have to sprint back into position with the home fans booing. King was booked on 71 minutes for trying to pull Spencer’s shirt off as he tried to get away from him. Byrom sent the free kick in on the restart and Diamond was too high with his header. With 11 minutes left Mellis gave away a needless free kick with a lunge on the edge of his own box as he took too many touches on the ball when he should have cleared, Martin’s free kick thankfully deflecting over. Hemmings almost doubled his tally on 82 minutes when MacDonald’s low cross was only cleared as far as him, but his hurried effort went wide from 12 yards. In the last minute of the 90 Atkinson left it too late to pull the trigger in the box and saw his finish deflect wide for a corner.

STAGS: Logan, White, Bennett, Diamond, Hunt; Hamilton, Byrom, Mellis (Atkinson 85), MacDonald; Hemmings (Butcher 90+3), Spencer (Sterling-James 81). Subs not used: Olejnik, Pearce, Anderson, Potter.

STEVENAGE: Fryer, Smith, Martin, King, Wilkinson, Whelpdale (Samuel 88), Beautyman (McKee HT), Pett (Conlon 64), Newton, Godden, Henry. Subs not used: Day, Franks, VanCooten, Wilmot.

REFEREE: Tom Nield of Lancashire.

ATTENDANCE: 3,353 (141 away).


Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-mansfield-town-1-stevenage-0-stags-extend-unbeaten-run-to-eight-1-8864834


Mansfield Town 1-0 Stevenage: Darren Sarll’s men lose to Steve Evans Stags at Field Mill
18 November 2017, by Layth Yousif


A brave Stevenage effort was to no avail as they lost 1-0 to a Kane Hemmings’ first half goal against Mansfield Town at Field Mill on Saturday.

Share article from on facebook Tweet article from Share article from on Google Pluspost article from on reddit email article from

The victory extended the home sides unbeaten run to eight matches as Sarll’s men slipped to one win in eight.

Boro battled hard including a late rally but they simply couldn’t breach Steve Evans side’s backline.

The side from North Herts started well with Matty Godden firing narrowly over the bar on the turn from close range on three minutes.

Three minutes later Tom Pett fired just over the bar as Sarll’s men dominated. On 11 minutes Chris Whelpdale then fired over when well placed but the goal just wouldn’t come.

However, on 23 minutes, Hemmings with the simplest of finishes, scored the game’s only goal after a mistake from the normally reliable Joe Fryer in coming to claim a cross.

Seven minutes later Joe Martin fired a free-kick over the bar after Godden was felled after a neat turn.

Whelpdale again went close just before half time but five minutes after the interval strong claims from the travelling Boro fans behind the goal could not sway the officials into awarding a penalty after Godden appeared to be fouled in the box. Luke Wilkinson then had a header cleared off the line as Sarll’s men threw everything they had at the Stags in a valliant effort to level the scores.

Temperatures rose on and off the pitch in a hard-fought game but despite Boro’s attempts to reach parity Mansfield saw the game out to win 1-0.

Sarll’s men will look to get back to winning ways with a home match against Coventry City at the Lamex on Tuesday. ?See CometSport for our build -up to the match.


REPORT: Mansfield 1-0 Stevenage

by Dan Branowsky

Stags get the points...

Stevenage were shaded out at Mansfield Town as a lone first half goal by Kane Hemmings won the contest for the hosts.

In a game of few chances for either side, Boro matched Mansfield for much of the game but couldn’t hit the target when the opportunies came.

Just like last time out, an individual error proved costly as Stevenage now focus on Tuesday’s home game against Coventry.

Darren Sarll named an unchanged line-up from the team that drew 1-1 at home to Notts County last Saturday and his side began the game on top with three good chances to score inside the first ten minutes.

Matty Godden fired over on the volley just a few minutes into the game, Tom Pett failed to keep his 20 yard strike under the bar and somehow no Stevenage man could turn in Martin’s corner which fizzed right across a busy 6 yard box.

The home side began to grow into the game though as MacDonald and Spencer both couldn’t hit the target from promising positions and not long after, the Stags went ahead.

Joe Fryer the unfortunate man to make the crucial mistake - misjudging a deep cross into the box, leaving a simple tap-in for Kane Hemmings.

Martin came close to an instant reply from a free-kick in his trademark range but with a goal in their sails, Mansfield went onto have the better of the remainder of the half, without creating any clear cut chances.

Their best one coming when Fryer kept out Spencer with a diving save towards the top corner and deep into added time, Boro could have levelled as Chris Whelpdale worked the space inside the box before an errant shot flew over the bar.

First Year Pro, Mark McKee entered the game at half-time as Harry Beautyman made way and the young midfielder impressed during his time on the pitch.

Fryer again kept out Spencer early in the second half as he denied the Mansfield man from a header off a corner and Wilkinson saw his own header turned away down at the other end as his effort was cleared off the line.

Not long after, there was mass confusion as the referee disallowed a Stags goal for a foul on the Stevenage goalkeeper. The message not quite getting across to the celebrating Mansfield players.

Boro enjoyed large spells of possession and territory in the second half without ultimately making it count. A well-disciplined Mansfield defence thwarting most threats as the final ball and/or decision was just lacking.

With the game stretched and Boro throwing everyone forward, the hosts could have sealed the result inside the final 10 minutes as Hemmings and Atkinson saw chances go missing.

Despite their best efforts, Stevenage couldn’t find the equaliser as attentions now turn to Tuesday night’s game at home to Coventry.



Latest | November 2017