{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2017

7th November 2017 19:17

The Emirates FA Cup - Round One
Shaw Lane 1 - 3 Mansfield Town
Lee Bennett 41. Pearce 34, Rose 73, 78. Mellis missed pen 65.
Attendance: 1576 (560 from Mansfield)

Date: 4 November 2017

Martin Shaw at Sheerien Park, Athersley Recreation FC

Mansfield Town are through to the second round of the FA Cup after a 3-1 win at Northern Premier League Shaw Lane. The game was shown live on BT Sport, and was Mansfield’s first live TV game for 4 years since an FA Cup replay against Oldham. The Stags’ hero was Danny Rose with two stunning second half goals. Mansfield should have been in front of 17 minutes, Conrad Logan’s long ball forward was missed by defender Kelvin Lugsden, giving Kane Hemmings a free shot at goal from the edge of the area, but his shot was pushed away by keeper Jon Stewart, Danny Rose was quickest to the rebound and knocked it against the right post. The Stags were in front after 34 minutes. A quick free kick from Joel Byrom, to Alex MacDonald who headed for the byline before crossing into the middle, and his cross was half-cleared to Krystian Pearce who hooked a good finish into the bottom right corner of the net from 12 yards. Shaw Lane were level on 41 minutes. Zander Diamond did well to block Paul Clayton’s shot, but the ball was recycled and eventually rebounded off Pearce to allow Lee Bennett to fire in from 6 yards. Shaw Lane nearly took the lead on 45+2 minutes when Lee Bennett fired against the right post from 12 yards. Straight after the break, Rose played a good ball forward to CJ Hamilton who tried to flick the ball past keeper Stewart as he rushed out, but Stewart made a fine save. Clever play on the left by the Stags earned a penalty on 65 minutes, as Jacob Mellis played a 1-2-3 (if there is such a description!) with Benning and Hamilton, got the ball back and was tripped just inside the area. Super play by Mellis making things happen. Mellis took the resulting penalty and struck it well towards the left corner of the net but keeper Stewart made a fantastic save to push it away. The height of the penalty from Mellis made it possible for the keeper to save. But the Stags were in front on 73 minutes, as Joel Byrom chipped in a wonderful cross from the left and Danny Rose got up superbly to place a wonderful header into the top right corner of the net. If that was a great goal from Rose, his second goal, on 78 minutes, was even better. MacDonald crossed from the right and Rose launched himself to acrobatically fire a magnificent scissors kick, almost an overhead kick, into the bottom left corner of the net from 12 yards. Quite stunning from Rose, and live on TV too. The game was effectively over and Mansfield could have added more goals as Shaw Lane tired.



MATCH REPORT: Shaw Lane 1 Mansfield Town 3
chad.co.uk, by Agency, Saturday 04 November 2017

Mansfield overcame a spirited Shaw Lane to progress in the FA Cup. Local lad Danny Rose netted a vital five-minute second-half brace to ensure Steve Evans’ side avoided a potential banana skin. Krystian Pearce had earlier given the visitors the lead at the home of the Northern Premier League outfit. Lee Bennett ensured parity at the break, before Rose ended any hopes of a huge scalp for the hosts - placed 58 places lower in the football pyramid. Jacob Mellis had a penalty thwarted by Jon Stewart, who had a decent game despite the scoreline. The Stags dominated possession, but it took 34 minutes to break down the Ducks. Jacob Mellis came close to opening the scoring early on as his venomous effort was well blocked. The deserved opener came 11 minutes before the break as Pearce found the back of the net. It was a well-worked goal, with the Ducks found wanting from a quick free-kick. Joel Byrom laid the ball off for Alex MacDonald, who exceptionally found Pearce to open the scoring. But Shaw Lane hit back almost immediately to give the home fans hope. Bennett pounced to level proceedings at the second attempt after the ball fell to him from close range. And the resilient hosts could have been ahead at the break, had Nicky Walker’s effort not hit the post. Moments after the restart Walker made a good save to keep Chris Hamilton’s lob. Just after the hour the Stags had a penalty after Mellis was felled, with Stewart superbly keeping the spot kick out. But Rose made no mistake when he headed home with less than twenty minutes remaining of the tie. And any hopes of a famous FA Cup upset were dashed minutes later when Rose rocketed home his second with a wonderful volley.

Shaw Lane: Stewart, Austin, Lugsden, Qualter, Serrant (Whitehouse, 43), Norris, Harris, Byrne, Bennett (Reeves, 72), Walker (Abadaki, 86), Clayton. Unused subs: Jepson, Lugsden, Chilaka, Young.

Mansfield: Logan, Anderson, Diamond, Pearce, Benning, MacDonald, Mellis (Digby, 90+5), Byrom, Hamilton, Rose (Spencer, 82), Hemmings (Atkinson, 90+2). Unused subs: Olejnik, Bennett, Digby, Potter, Sterling-James.

Referee: Ben Toner Attendance: Not announced

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-shaw-lane-1-mansfield-town-3-1-8840755


Shaw Lane 1 Mansfield 3: FA Cup dream ends for courageous minnows
yorkshirepost.co.uk, by RICKY CHARLESWORTH, Saturday 04 November 2017

Non-league Shaw Lane’s magical FA Cup journey ended with a 3-1 defeat to Mansfield in the first round proper. Over 1,700 crammed into Sheerien Park and witnessed the Barnsley-based club display plenty of fight and character in front of a watching national audience on BT Sport. Devastated Shaw Lane players as Mansfield Town fans celebrate their side's second goal The Ducks’ performance belied the fact that three divisions and 58 places separated the two sides at kick-off. Former Barnsley man Jacob Mellis got the first shot out of his feet for the visitors after five minutes but it was charged down by a back-tracking Ducks defender and shortly after there was a display of more steely defensive work when Alex MacDonald saw his rasping shot bravely charged down. Spencer Harris fluffed a shot in Shaw Lane’s maiden attempt on goal, when he botched a half-volley from outside the area. Mansfield should have gone 1-0 up on 17 minutes and it was thanks to pure route one play. Shaw Lane AFC's Lee Bennett (right) celebrates scoring his side's first goal of the game with teammate Neil Austin A long punt downfield by Conrad Logan was seized on by Hemmings, whose drilled effort was parried by ‘keeper Jon Stewart and into the path of Danny Rose whose acrobatic effort came back off a post, much to the home fans’ amusement. Shaw Lane’s best passage of play came shortly after, with an intricate move down the left ending with Ryan Serrant who could only muster a tame cross-shot that Logan gobbled up. With the game evenly poised, it was Mansfield who took the initiative and went in front on 34 minutes. A free-kick was taken short down the flank to Alex MacDonald who picked out Krystian Pearce and he was able to fire past Stewart. Shaw Lane AFC's David Norris (centre) and Ryan Qualter exchange words with referee Ben Toner But it wasn’t long before the hosts were toasting a goal of their own - and duly deserved. Paul Clayton’s initial shot was parried by Logan but the Stags couldn’t clear their lines and when Nicky Walker’s ball fell to Lee Bennett, who was lurking in the area, he smashed it past Logan. And just before the interval it almost got better for the Ducks when Bennett swivelled in the box and saw his effort clip the outside of a post. Stewart had to be alert just after the restart to keep out Hemmings’ instinctive effort towards goal before Shaw Lane responded as Alex Byrne bent a free-kick just over the bar. Shaw Lane AFC's Neil Austin (left) and Mansfield Town's Jacob Mellis battle for the ball The teams looked evenly matched as the half wore on but the visitors were handed a golden chance to go back in front on 67 minutes when Mellis was adjudged to have been brought down in the area. Mellis duly stepped up and despite a decent attempt, Stewart was able to get down low to his right and produce a terrific save to direct the ball behind for a corner. It bumped up the atmosphere in the ground among the home contingent. But the League Two visitors couldn’t be kept at bay for much longer as Rose attoned for his earlier error by nodding home past Stewart on 73 minutes. And five minutes later Rose wrapped up proceedings with a terrific bicycle kick for his second and the Stags’ third.

Shaw Lane: Stewart, Austin, Serrant (Whitehouse 43), Bennett (Reeves 72), Kelvin Lugsden, Qualter, Byrne, Harris, Clayton, Norris, Walker (Abadaki 86) Unused subs: Chilaka, Orlando-Young, Kieran Lugsden, Jepson

Mansfield: Logan, Benning, Pearce, Diamond, MacDonald, Mellis (Digby 90), Anderson, Hamilton, Byrom, Hemmings (Atkinson 90), Rose (Spencer 82) Unused subs: Olejnik, Bennett, Potter, Sterling-James

Ref: B Toner (Lancs).

Read more at: http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/football/non-league/shaw-lane-1-mansfield-3-fa-cup-dream-ends-for-courageous-minnows-1-8840730


Shaw Lane Association 1-3 Mansfield Town

Danny Rose's impressive second-half brace ensured Mansfield Town held off a spirited Shaw Lane in the FA Cup.

Krystian Pearce gave the Stags the lead after a well-worked free-kick.

Lee Bennett levelled soon after from close range at the second attempt, and then hit a post.

Mansfield's Jacob Mellis had a second-half penalty saved by Jon Stewart after he was fouled, but as the Stags upped the pressure, Rose headed in before a spectacular scissor-kick for the third.

The two sides were separated by 58 places and three divisions in the English football pyramid, but Northern Premier League Shaw Lane showed plenty of commitment against League Two Mansfield.

And following their equaliser, they could have taken the lead had Billy Whitehouse not hesitated as the rebound from Bennett's effort fell to him off the woodwork.

However, the Stags could have won by more, had Shaw Lane's goalkeeper Jon Stewart not played so well.

Having denied Kane Hemmings in the first half, with Rose sliding the follow-up against the post, he saved Mellis' penalty superbly after the Mansfield midfielder had been fouled by Spencer Harris.

But it was Rose, who lives not far from Shaw Lane's ground in Barnsley, who settled the tie with a perfectly timed header from Mal Benning's cross from the left, five minutes before scoring an even better goal from Alex MacDonald's ball from the other flank.

"We came in wanting to be competitive and we had them on the ropes for a little while. It has taken an incredible finish to kill the game off.

"When you save a penalty you start thinking it could be our day, but credit to Danny, I believe he's a local lad and ex-Barnsley and he has really delivered.

"I hope people liked what they saw today and recognise we are a small club going in the right direction, and they will want to come back and support us in the future."

Mansfield boss Steve Evans:

"If you're watching in the Premier League it's the Drogbas and Ronaldos who score goals like that, and if Harry Kane did it this weekend, we'd be talking about it forever.

"Danny only lives four streets away from Shaw Lane and probably knew three-quarters of the supporters, so I'm very impressed with the professional job he did today.

"We always knew fitness would play a part and in the end it came down to some more very good finishing."



Latest | November 2017