{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2017

6th November 2017 21:03

English Football League Trophy - Checkatrade Trophy
Mansfield Town 1 - 0 Everton U23
Diamond 81.
Attendance: 964 (36 from Everton)

Date: 31 October 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town won their final game in the group stages of the Checkatrade Trophy, beating an Everton academy side 1-0 at the One Call Stadium. Mansfield made 11 changes from the side that somehow failed to beat Exeter on Saturday, and yet after a forgettable first half, it looked like being the same story of missed chances being costly, until Zander Diamond scored from close range from a fine Alfie Potter corner on 81 minutes, for the only goal of the game. The first chance of the game fell to Everton on 7 minutes as Bobby Olejnik made a good save from Antony Evans. That was to be Everton’s only chance of the entire game. Lee Angol should have put Mansfield in front on 8 minutes, as a terrific lay-off from Calum Butcher gave him a clear sight of goal from 12 yards but he sent a ferocious drive over the bar. On 11 minutes, Will Atkinson’s powerful shot from the edge of the area was straight at the keeper. Then on 43 minutes, Omari Sterling-James fired a shot from the edge of the area straight at the keeper again. On 51 minutes, Sterling-James was close again as he slid a low shot just wide of the left post after a great run. Young Everton keeper Louis Gray then made the first of three magnificent second half saves, as Hayden White crossed from the right on 61 minutes, and Butcher put in a good header which the keeper somehow tipped away at full stretch. On 64 minutes, Potter’s great corner from the left reached Spencer at the far post and his volley was somehow blocked on the line by a defender when it had goal written all over it. From the resulting corner, Diamond should have scored when he headed over the bar. On 67 minutes, Potter cut inside from the left, aided by a great ball from Spencer, and shot powerfully towards the left corner of the net, where the diving keeper made another fabulous save. On 75 minutes, a clever ball from Spencer gave Sterling-James a sight of goal but his cross-shot across the face of goal was cleared away. Then on 79 minutes, a great move by the Stags and Johnny Hunt slid a ball across the area, cleverly dummied by Angol, allowing Butcher to sidefoot low and goalwards, and the keeper incredibly save with his legs. Another fabulous save. Butcher couldn’t believe it. And nor could the Stags fans. It was the 10th time the Stags had gone close. But on 81 minutes, the goal finally came. Potter’s great corner from the left, the keeper tried to punch away but the ball hit Diamond and went in from close range. It was the quality of the delivery from Potter that resulted in the goal, plus Diamond being in the right place of course. The Stags had ideally wanted to win the game by 3 goals, which would have ensured qualification for the knockout stages regardless of the result of the game between Lincoln and Notts County next week, and Mansfield had more than enough chances to win by 3 goals, but had to settle for 1-0. So Mansfield pick up £10,000 for this win but have to wait until next week to see if they will go through. Mansfield will go through if Lincoln beat Notts County, or it is a draw. If Notts County win by 1 goal or 2 goals, then Mansfield will go out. If Notts County win by 3 goals, then Lincoln and Mansfield would have the same goal difference, and it would depend on who had scored more goals. If Notts County win by 4 or more goals, then Mansfield would go through. A word about Everton U23. I thought they were terrible for a Premier League academy side. However their goalkeeper Louis Gray was outstanding. Attention now turns to the FA Cup and a visit to Shaw Lane on Saturday in a game live on TV. It is a big game for Mansfield as an FA Cup run would be so useful.

The attendance of 964 was the second lowest at Field Mill for a competitive Stags game, beating 800 against Torquay United on 08 March 1939.



Mansfield Town beat Everton U23’s to boost hopes of Checkatrade Trophy progress
chad.co.uk, by STEPHEN THIRKILL, Tuesday 31 October 2017

Zander Diamond hit the only goal of the game as Mansfield Town beat Everton U23’s to boost their hopes of progressing in the Checkatrade Trophy., Diamond finally broke the deadlock with nine minutes to go after heading home from close range. Mansfield Town vs Everton U23 - Lee Angol has a shot blocked - Pic By James Williamson It was nothing more than an impressive Mansfield, who made 11 changes going into the game, deserved following another strong 90 minutes. The win moves Stags up to second in the Group G table, level on points with leaders Lincoln and three ahead of Notts County, who face each other in the group’s final fixture at Sincil Bank on Tuesday. Everton had shot-stopper Louis Gray to thank for keeping the score down following a string of superb second half saves to frustrate on-song Stags. The win will also give Steve Evans plenty to ponder following a number of strong individual displays, with Diamond, Omari Sterling-James and Calum Butcher amongst the men to impress. Butcher started the night badly when he went into the book after just four minutes after a late tackle on Josh Bowler. Bobby Olejnik alertly turned away an Anthony Evans shot at his near post after a good run by Nathan Broadhead two minutes later. Lee Angol was off target with a powerful shot on eight minutes after a nice lay-off from Butcher created an opening. Gray beat away a firm shot by Will Atkinson with an instinctive save after he had initially flapped at a corner. Angol failed to get hold of a long range effort just after the half hour mark following a bursting run from midfield. Omari Sterling-James hit a firm shot right at Gray on 44 minutes as the half drifted with little purpose towards the break. Sterling-James was inches away from opening the scoring with a shot that drifted agonisingly across the face of goal on 51 minutes as Stags came out all guns blazing. Gray produced the save of the match when he palmed away Butcher’s goalbound header at full stretch on 61 minutes. James Spencer had a fierce volley blocked on the line before an unmarked Diamond headed over from a corner three minutes later. Alfie Potter was the next home player to go close when he cut inside before unleashing a shot which was turned away for a corner by the on-form Gray. Luke Garbett smashed a long range free-kick well over on 71 minutes as Everton continued to offer no attacking threat. Angol had a goal ruled out after Butcher had strayed into an offside before he made the pass. Grey produced another stunning save with his feet to keep out Butcher after a brilliant dummy by Angol created the chance on 78 minutes. But there was nothing he could do when Mansfield got the goal they fully deserved three minutes later through Diamond’s close range header.

Mansfield Town: Olejnik, White, Digby, Diamond, Hunt, Potter (Anderson 90 +1), Butcher, Atkinson, Sterling-James (Hamilton 80) , Angol (Thomas 89), Spencer. Subs not used: Logan, Bennett, Hemmings, Hakeem

Everton: Gray, Adeniran, Garbutt, Charsley, Foulds, Bowler (Hornby 28), Sambou (Lavery 59), Evans, Broadhead (Donkor 82), Markelo, Ouzounidis. Subs not used: Hilton, Byrne, Mathis, Denny.

Referee: Michael Salisbury. Attendance: 964 (36).

Man-of-the-match: Zander Diamond.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-beat-everton-u23-s-to-boost-hopes-of-checkatrade-trophy-progress-1-8833893


Mansfield Town vs Everton U23

Everton were knocked out of the Checkatrade Trophy on Tuesday night following a 1-0 defeat at Mansfield Town.

A solitary second-half goal from defender Zander Diamond settled the issue but the young Blues can have few complaints about the outcome.


Mansfield, who made 11 changes from the side that drew with Exeter City in League Two at the weekend, enjoyed the better of the early exchanges as Everton struggled to get into their stride.

However, it was the young visitors who crafted the best opening of the half when Nathan Broadhead ran at the home defence and slid a lovely pass into the path of Antony Evans who was denied by a smart block by the keeper, Bobby Olejnik.

For The Stags, Lee Angol fired a half-volley over the bar from the edge of the box and a direct free-kick from Omari Sterling-James was blocked by the Everton wall.

Francis Jeffers suffered the loss of Josh Bowler midway through the half after he failed to recover from a poor challenge in the fourth minute that saw Mansfield’s Calum Butcher yellow-carded. After trying to run the injury off, Bowler was eventually replaced by Fraser Hornby.

Louis Gray was well-positioned to safely stop a snapshot from Sterling-James in the closing minutes of the opening period that was, by and large, a scrappy and uninspiring affair.

Mansfield opened the second-half with a flurry of efforts on goal. Alfie Potter and Butcher were well off target from distance and Sterling-James just missed the far-post with a low, angled shot.

Then, following a home breakaway, Angol was presented with an opening but was denied by a splendid, full-blooded challenge by Con Ouzounidis.

Butcher thought he’d given the hosts the lead in the 61st minute but his well-placed header was superbly turned away by Gray.

Mansfield were getting closer though and a thunderous far-post volley by Jimmy Spencer was bravely charged down by Matthew Foulds. From the corner, Paul Digby headed over and Everton survived again.

Shortly after, Gray saved well again, this time from Potter, before Everton mustered up their first attempt on goal of the second period as Luke Garbutt fired in a 25-yard free-kick that sailed over the bar.

But it was still the more experienced side that looked the more likely to break through and Everton were grateful to Harry Charsley when he hacked the ball to safety after Sterling-James had squeezed it past Gray.

The Everton keeper made another great save to deny Butcher when he blocked with his leg but from the resulting corner, Zander Diaond dealt the decisive blow with a powerful header.

In fairness, it was nothing less than Steve Evans’ side deserved and there was no way back for the Blues.

Next up for the Under-23s is the Merseyside mini derby against Liverpool in the Premier League 2 on Sunday 19 November.



Latest | November 2017