{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from November 2017

2nd November 2017 21:17

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 1 Exeter City
Hemmings 18. Holmes 87. Wilson sent off 90+3
Attendance: 3608 (360 from Exeter)

Date: 28 October 2017

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town were denied victory by an 86th minute Exeter equaliser in a one-side game at the One Call Stadium this afternoon. Mansfield played some of their best football of the season, with Jacob Mellis, Joel Byrom, Alex MacDonald and CJ Hamilton responsible for plenty of outstanding approach play The Stags led after 18 minutes when Kane Hemmings side-footed home after a terrific run down the left and slide-rule in from the excellent Mellis. The Stags had so many gilt-edged chances to bury Exeter, who were completely on the rack for a large part of the second half. Great play by Hamilton set up a chance for Mellis which was cleared off the line, then fine play by Alex MacDonald put Hemmings through 1-1 with the keeper, but his shot was half-saved by the keeper and then cleared off the line by a defender. And Rhys Bennett’s header from a corner was also cleared off the line. Conrad Logan nearly scored a remarkable goal from 75 yards, seeing the keeper off his line, his free kick was tipped over the bar by the back-peddling goalkeeper. The Stags needed that second goal but just couldn’t find it and Exeter, having been battered for so long, found an undeserved equaliser on 87 minutes when sub Liam McAlinden’s shot was well saved by Logan, but fellow sub Lee Holmes swept the rebound into the net from 14 yards. The Stags were left so deflated and it was Exeter who remarkably nearly won the game on 90+4 minutes when a free kick from the right was knocked goalwards at the far post by Jordan Moore-Taylor and Logan did well to push wide for a corner. So frustrating for Mansfield who played so well but failure to convert a host of chances was very costly. A miserable October in the league for Mansfield with just 3 points from 5 games, yet today’s performances shows that if Mansfield can be more clinical in front of goal, they are capable of mounting a promotion challenge. Exeter somehow continue their remarkable record of losing just 1 of their last 15 games at Mansfield.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 1-1 Exeter City - Stags let lead slip at home
chad.co.uk, by STEPHEN THIRKILL, Saturday 28 October 2017

Mansfield Town chucked away two more home points after a frustrating 1-1 draw with Exeter City. Stags looked like they would get all three points after Kane Hemmings put them ahead on 19 minutes in a game they bossed from start to finish. But they were unable to convert a number of great second half chances to kill the game off and were once again made to pay late on. Sub Lee Holmes fired home with just three minutes left after Liam McAlinden shot from the edge of the box had been saved. It was yet another tough lesson for Stags on the need to take chances or be punished and brought back memories of the 2-2 crumble against Luton Town. The loss sees Stags drop further off the play-off places and leaves them without a win in six matches. Steve Evans had made five changes from the side which drew last week with Newport County. Joel Byrom was amongst the changes as he returned from injury, but there was no place in the squad for Zander Diamond, who is now fully fit after a two month lay off. Mansfield went into the game without a win in four and were well beaten by Swindon Town in their last home outing. Exeter, who had slipped out of the automatic promotion places following back-to-back defeats, were missing nine first teamers following a bout of illness and injuries. Danny Rose curled an effort narrowly wide inside the first 30 seconds as Stags came out with a point to prove. Exeter worked their way back into the game and should have hit the front when Kyle Edwards was denied by the legs of Conrad Logan on seven minutes. It was a worrying moment after the Grecians easily carved open the Stags rearguard. But any nerves were settled when Kane Hemmings fired Mansfield ahead with a brilliant first time finish on 19 minutes to complete a superb counter attack by Stags. They had made the most of a brilliant advantage played by referee Anthony Backhouse, which allowed Jacob Mellis to burst free down the left. He then delivered a pin-point pass as Hemmings finished in style. Stags continued to keep up the tempo for the rest of the half without creating the clear cut chances that may bring a second goal. But it was a superb first 45 minutes, with high energy levels and passion on display, as Stags bossed the game and won the key individual battles. Logan had to smother alertly after Edwards beat two defenders and got into a dangerous area just after the restart. Mellis was denied a deserved goal after his goalbound effort was brilliant diverted over the bar by Dean Moxey on 58 minutes. The opening had been created after another lighting break down the left with CJ Hamilton cutting the ball back right into Mellis’ path. Christy Pym parried from Kane Hemmings after the Stags goalscorer broke clean through on 61 minutes. Moxey then hacked the rebound off the line as the visitors continued to desperately cling on. Pym then beat away a long range Danny Rose effort on 67 minutes as Stags began to really up the pressure. Logan got down well to block Jake Taylor’s effort from a tight angle on 70 minutes. And Logan was inches away from actually scoring when he tried his luck from 75 yards out. But a back-peddling Pym just got back in time to tip the audacious effort over the bar. His saves proved to be vital when Exeter rescued an unlikely point with three minutes to go when Holmes swept home past Logan. Kane Wilson was sent off for the visitors in stoppage time for two yellow cards after he booted the ball away.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-mansfield-town-1-1-exeter-city-stags-let-lead-slip-at-home-1-8828946


Mansfield Town 1 Exeter City 1: Match report as Lee Holmes steals point for Grecians
Lee Holmes 87th minute leveller gave ended City's two defeats on the bounce
devonlive.com, Jamie Hawkins, 28 OCT 2017

A late goal from substitute Lee Holmes was enough to see Exeter City claim a point at Mansfield Town.

The hosts’ took an early lead thanks to a simple tap in from Kane Hemmings, but despite chance after chance for Town, Holmes slotted home a rebound in the 87th minute to send the 368 travelling fans delirious.

Kane Wislon was sent-off for a second booking in injury time, but it was to have little meaning on the match.


Paul Tisdale made just one change from last Saturday’s side that slumped to a 1-0 home defeat to Port Vale as West Brom loanee Kane Wilson started ahead of Pierce Sweeney, who didn’t make the squad after suffering food poisoning.

Reuben Reid and Jayden Stockley led the Grecians attack, whilst there were five academy players on the bench, including Jordan Storey.

Tisdale was without nine first-team players for the trip to the One Call Stadium, but said there would be “no excuses”.

On a chilly and overcast autumn afternoon in Nottinghamshire, it was the homeside who got out of the blocks quickly as Danny Rose did well to turn inside the area, but his shot was just wide of the post.

The Grecians had a great chance to open the scoring soon after, when Den Moxey found Reid inside the area in space, but instead of shooting, he laid it back to Kyle Edwards, but his shot was straight at Conrad Logan, who blocked well.

But it was Town who took the lead in the 18 minute. Wilson passed to Lloyd James, who lost possession on the half-way line, allowing a Mansfield break. Jacob Mellis was in plenty of space on the left side, and crossed in for Hemmings, who had a simple tap in from five yards out.

That goal gave the Stags plenty of confidence, and dominated the ball for a period, and could have taken a 2-0 lead, but Hamilton’s shot was crucially cleared by Moore-Taylor.

City struggled to get into the match for the remainder of the first-half, as, just like last weekend, blustery conditions made it difficult to service both Reid and Stockley.

Wilson was booked for a foul on the halfway line, although Stags boss Steve Evans felt there was an elbow involved.

The teenager then conceded another foul seconds later, but was only given a warning.

As the half closed, Jake Taylor did well to intercept inside his own box as Mansfield pressed for a second just before the break.

City reverted to a more direct approach, but the conditions didn’t help as Stockley and Reid struggled to get involved in the first-half.

Reid got the second-half underway as City pressed for a leveller immediately, as Edwards showed great footwork to wriggle into the area, but tried one too many tricks as Logan collected.

But Mansfield continued to press for a second, and if it wasn’t for a crucial Boateng interception, Danny Rose would have had a relatively easy tap in five minutes into the second period.

Moxey was then the hero for City as he denied a second for the hosts. Hamilton lost Wilson on the left, and pulled the ball back for Mellis, but the left-back somehow blocked the ball off the line and behind for a corner.

Moxey kept the score at 1-0 on the hour mark after Edwards carelessly gave the ball away, allowing MacDonald to feed Hemmings through one on one, but after Pym superbly saved, the defender did well to clear the ball as it almost crept in.

City were struggling to get a foothold in the game as Mansfield pressed for a second again, as Pym did well to parry a long-range effort from Rose behind for a corner.

But the visitors had a great chance to level with 20 minutes to play. Jake Taylor was played through, but Logan did well to stand up and block a certain, and unlikely equaliser.

Town almost secured the win from their goalkeeper. Logan’s long-range kick almost dipped under Pym’s bar, but he tipped it over for a corner.

However, City somehow found themselves level with just four minutes to play. Substitute Liam McAlinden saw his curling effort parried by Logan, but the ball fell kindly for Holmes, who calmly slotted the ball home.

Wilson was the shown a second yellow in the 93rd minute, but it was to have little meaning on the outcome of the reuslt.

City could have snatched all three points at the death but substitute Jordan Storey’s header was just wide.

That was to be the final action as the Grecians somehow left the One Call Stadium with a point.

Next up for City is Heybridge Swifts in the FA Cup first round next Sunday at St James Park.

Mansfield Town: Logan, Bennett, Benning, Pearce, MacDonald, Mellis (Atkinson,80) Anderson, Hamilton, Hemmings (Spencer, 77), Byrom, Rose (Angol)

Subs (not used): Olejnik, Digby, Sterling-James, Butcher

Exeter City: Pym, Wilson, Brown, Moore-Taylor, Moxey, James (McAlinden, 71), Boateng, Taylor, Edwards, Reid (Storey, 90) Stockley (Holmes, 63)

Subs (not used) Hamon, Jay, Byrne, Sparkes

Attendance: 3,608



Latest | November 2017