{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2017

29th October 2017 20:01

English Football League Trophy - Checkatrade Trophy
Notts County 1 - 2 Mansfield Town
Smith 34. Angol 1, Hamilton 73.
Attendance: 2290 (405 from Mansfield)

Date: 24 October 2017

Martin Shaw at Meadow Lane

Mansfield put in a fine performance to win 2-1 at Notts County in the Checkatrade Trophy this evening. After a run of 4 games without a win (2 defeats and 2 draws) since beating Notts County in the league, it was a boost to get back on the winning trail, albeit in a competition that is not top priority. There was a welcome return from injury for Joel Byrom and he oozed quality with his set pieces, getting 55 minutes of action. And a surprise recall from loan for Jack Thomas who replaced Byrom as substitute and put in what I thought was his best performance since his wonderful form upon breaking into the team in 2015. Both teams made ten changes from their respective games on Saturday. The Stags were ahead after 47 seconds. Omari Sterling-James knocked the ball high into the Notts County half, Lee Angol nicked the ball off Haydn Hollis 30 yards from goal, took a touch forward, and shot left footed from 25 yards low and into the bottom right corner of the net. He didn’t hit it with power but the key was it was just inside the post and the keeper couldn’t reach it. The Stags were within a whisker from making it 2-0 on 5 minutes. A great corner from the right by Byrom, Paul Digby got in a fine header from 6 yards which the keeper somehow saved, literally on his goal-line. I thought it was over the line watching in real time but the video seems to suggest that it was on the line and not over it. The Stags came just as close on 27 minutes. Sterling-James lifted a delightful ball forward for Jimmy Spencer to run on to, and former Notts man Spencer smashed a terrific shot against the right post from 18 yards. The ball came out to Lee Angol, 10 yards from goal with the keeper nowhere. Angol chested it down and was about to knock it into the empty net when Shaun Brisley slid in with a brilliant goal saving challenge. Angol should have scored without a doubt but also credit to the defender for a wonderful challenge. On 30 minutes, Spencer appeared to be tripped on the byline in the area, but the referee waved away the Stags appeals for a penalty. The game should have been over already. But Notts County equalised on 34 minutes. Elliot Hodge’s corner from the left was taken short, back to him, he crossed to the far post where Brisley nodded back across goal and veteran Alan Smith knocked in his first goal for Notts County from close range. Spencer was down on the ground when the ball was knocked in. After the game Steve Evans said that the analyst’s video footage from a wide angle showed Spencer elbowed in the face off the ball. From the footage from the main camera, which is the footage I have, the incident is off screen. Some good football from the Stags in an entertaining first half but all square at the break in a game that should have been sewn up. However the Stags did go on to win it with a cracking goal on 73 minutes from CJ Hamilton, his first competitive goal for Mansfield. Paul Anderson’s ball in from the right was punched out by the keeper as far as Hamilton 16 yards from goal. Hamilton chested the ball away from his defender to give himself a yard of space before hammering a wonderful right footed shot into the top left corner of the net. A great moment for Hamilton who ran off and slid on his knees to celebrate. Hamilton nearly added another goal when his left footed shot from 25 yards was pushed over by the keeper. Any win is a good win and the 405 travelling Stags fans enjoyed this performance and victory and gave the team a great reception at the end. The Stags played with freedom, knocked the ball around well and created plenty of good moments. Mansfield also picked up £10,000 for this win. The Stags return to the league on Saturday in a huge game with Exeter City, and several players have put themselves in the frame tonight to play in that game.

The top two teams from the group will progress to the next round. The other results so far: Mansfield lost 3-1 at home to Lincoln, Notts County beat Everton U23 2-1, Lincoln beat Everton U23 2-1. So with one game to play, Lincoln have 6 points, Notts County and Mansfield have 3 points. The Stags play their final game in the group next Tuesday, at home to Everton U23, while Lincoln play Notts County a week later. Mansfield need to win to give themselves a good chance of going through, and would go through unless Notts County then won at Lincoln and edged Mansfield out on goal difference. Mansfield could however go through with a draw if Lincoln were then to beat Notts County.



MATCH REPORT: Hamilton the hero as Stags win at Notts
chad.co.uk, by Agency, Tuesday 24 October 2017

Mansfield Town made it two derby wins over Notts County in less than a month as a CJ Hamilton goal earned a 2-1 win at Meadow Lane in the second Checkatrade Trophy group game tonight.

It was no more than the Stags deserved as they dominated the game, had what looked like a goal ruled out and hit the woodwork with County’s equaliser being steeped in controversy.

Both sides made 10 changes - Rhys Bennett the only one to keep his place for Mansfield - and Evans saw several of his fringe players stake a genuine claim for a place against Exeter City on Saturday with some excellent performances. Midfield ace Joel Byrom played for almost an hour on his comeback from injury - another huge plus - before being replaced by Jack Thomas recalled from his loan at Boston United. Lee Angol gave Stags the perfect start when he caught Notts keeper Branislav Pindroch cold with a low shot from 25 yards with only 47 seconds gone after winning the ball 30 yards from goals and racing forwards. On five minutes it seemed Paul Digby had headed home from a corner, but the officials decided the ball had not crossed the line.

Mansfield had half shouts for a penalty as Omari Sterling-James was challenged by Jones, but referee Graham Horwood gave only a corner. On 27 minute Sterling-James helped the ball on for Spencer whose powerful half volley struck the post, Angol unable to put away the rebound as Brisley made a crucial challenge. On the half-hour mark, Spencer seemed to be brought down by the keeper but again Stags were denied a spot kick. To make matters worse on 34 minutes Notts levelled with their first shot on target from a corner. Notts County vs Mansfield Town - CJ Hamilton of Mansfield Town celebrates his goal - Pic By James Williamson A Stags player appeared to be knocked over off the ball as it came in and veteran Alan Smith steered home from close range, the goal allowed to stand. Stags came back out determined for the second half and Sterling James had an effort deflect wide and another that forced Pindroch to save. County’s Liam Walkerthen forced Olejnik into a save at the other end after cutting in from the right. Notts were now enjoying their best spell and Walker twice came close again

But Hamilton popped up with a stunning winner on 73 minutes. Paul Anderson sent in a cross, which was punched out, and Hamilton controlled on his chest before powerfully finding the top corner from 14 yards. Twice Mal Benning and then Hamilton forced Pindroch into saves as Mansfield went for the jugular Near the end Walker wasn’t far wide with a shot for Notts and Hollis headed wide, but Stags saw out the five added minutes to chalk up a confidence-boosting first win in five games.

MANSFIELD: Olejnik, Anderson, Digby, Bennett, Benning, Mellis, Byrom (Thomas 57), Sterling-James (Potter 89), Hamilton, Spencer, Angol (Hemmings 90). Subs not used: Logan, Pearce, Atkinson, Rose

NOTTS COUNTY: Pindroch, Hunt, Brisley, Hollis, Jones (Dickinson 6’), Walker, Thompson, Milsom (Grant 81), Hodge, Smith (Alessandra 80), Saunders. Subs not used: Fitzsimons, Forte, Bird, Howes. REFEREE: Graham Horwood. ATTENDANCE: 2,290 (405 away).

Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-hamilton-the-hero-as-stags-win-at-notts-1-8822073


Notts 1-2 Mansfield
Smith bags first Notts goal in Checkatrade tie
nottscountyfc.co.uk, Tuesday 24 October 2017

Notts County were beaten 2-1 by Mansfield Town in the second match of their Checkatrade Trophy group stage.

Alan Smith bagged his first goal for the Magpies to cancel out Lee Angol's early strike.

But CJ Hamilton fired home a second-half winner to leave Notts' chances of progression resting on the outcome of their final group match, away to Lincoln City on Tuesday 7 November.


Kevin Nolan made 10 changes to the team that faced Carlisle United on Saturday, Shaun Brisley the only man to retain his place.

He was partnered by Haydn Hollis in central defence, while Nicky Hunt and the returning Dan Jones completed the back four. Branislav Pindroch was given the nod between the sticks.

Curtis Thompson and Rob Milsom were flanked by Liam Walker and Elliot Hodge, while Callum Saunders and Smith led the line.

The visitors had the dream start when, within a minute, Lee Angol stole possession and rolled a low effort beyond Pindroch from 25 yards to give the Stags the lead.

Thankfully for Notts, Pindroch was equal to Paul Digby's close-range effort four minutes later, the Slovakian denying the Mansfield man with a superb save.

Jones and Saunders both sent efforts off-target by way of response before former Magpie Jimmy Spencer crashed a shot off the bar and could only watch on as Brisley made a superb challenge to deny Angol a certain goal on the rebound.

But the next goal went Notts' way when Mansfield failed to clear Brisley's nod-down from a well-worked short corner and Smith smashed the ball home from close range on 34 minutes for his first Notts goal.

The Magpies nearly went into the break ahead when, in stoppage time, Hollis nodded the ball narrowly over from a corner.

The half ended in controversial style when Stags stopper Bobby Olejnik appeared to carry the ball outside his own penalty area but the referee was unmoved and the half ended with the score locked at 1-1.

Both sides traded tentative blows in the early exchanges of the second half, Notts coming close to taking the lead just before the hour when Walker curled an effort just wide of the post.

Nolan's first substitution followed, Carl Dickinson replacing Jones shortly before Milsom saw an effort deflected wide of the post.

The prospect of penalties was beginning to loom large but Mansfield had other ideas, retaking the lead with 18 minutes to play when Hamilton latched on to a loose ball inside the Notts penalty area before firing it into the top corner.

Smith went into the book for a foul on Rhys Bennett and Pindroch made an excellent fingertip save to prevent Mal Benning's free-kick creeping in at the far post as the clock ticked down.

Nolan's final changes saw Smith and Milsom replaced by Lewis Alessandra and Jorge Grant as the manager injected extra creative flair.

And Walker almost struck a late equaliser, only to see his low shot flash inches wide of the post.

Walker was involved again moments later, teeing up Hollis from a corner but seeing the defender's header go wide.

Five minutes were added on at the end of the match but the Magpies were unable to find an equaliser.


Alan Smith scores FIRST goal for Notts County, but Magpies lose to Mansfield Town for second time this season
nottinghampost.com, by Leigh Curtis, 24 OCT 2017

Notts County succumbed to their second defeat to Mansfield Town in less than a month as the Stags ended the Magpies’ unbeaten home record with victory in the Checkatrade Trophy.

Steve Evans’ side sealed a 2-1 win at Meadow Lane, having taken the lead in under minute courtesy of Lee Angol.

But the Magpies fought back to equalise through Alan Smith, who pounced to score his first goal for the club.

However, the Stags, who won 3-1 against Notts in the league last month, sealed victory in the Northern Group G clash when CJ Hamilton lashed into the top corner.

The result means that Notts’ hopes of progression in the competition still hang in the balance with their final group game to come at Lincoln City.


Notts went into the game knowing victory would effectively put them in the next round, having already beaten Everton Under-21s this season.

Boss Kevin Nolan promised changes to his side, however, and he certainly made plenty as did Mansfield boss Steve Evans.

There were 20 between the sides in total as Notts gave a rare start to Curtis Thompson in midfield, while Callum Saunders also began the game up front alongside Smith.

Nolan said it was a fantastic opportunity for those players not in the first team to stake a claim for Saturday’s game at home to Newport when league duties resume at Meadow Lane.

Not only were they tasked with protecting an unbeaten home record this season, but after losing to the Stags in the league last month, it also offered a chance to regain some bragging rights.

But before a minute had elapsed Notts were immediately a goal down, conceding a goal that would have infuriated their manager.

Some poor defending allowed Angol to seize possession and while the strike from 20 yards wasn’t the cleanest it was enough to creep past Branislav Pindroch.

The Stags were soon back on the attack and they won a corner which was whipped in with real venom in between the penalty spot and six-yard box.

Paul Digby rose totally unmarked, but Pindroch made a fabulous save despite Mansfield claiming the ball had crossed the line.

It had taken Notts a while to settle, but they really should have been level in the 13th minute when Smith did brilliantly in the box to stand up a cross to the back post.

With Elliot Hodge unmarked, he should have hit it first time, but instead cut it back to Dan Jones, who, on his weaker foot, rolled a weak shot wide of the post.

Notts were just beginning to make their presence felt and it was not long before another fine chance arrived.

Smith used his experience brilliantly to send a header into Liam Walker who, spotting the run of Saunders, lofted a ball over the top of a square Mansfield defence.

He let the ball drop onto his right foot, but watched as his fierce drive just cleared the bar.

Mansfield though looked a threat going forward and when a header from inside his own half found its way to Jimmy Spencer, a former Magpie, it looked an ominous situation.

The striker let fly on the half-volley which cannoned off the crossbar and straight to the feet of Angol who had an open goal to aim at.

But Shaun Brisley somehow denied him with a quite wonderful tackle to prevent a second goal that would have left Notts with a mountain to climb.

It proved a decisive intervention as with 10 minutes to go to half-time, Notts were back on level terms.

A short corner was worked to Walker whose cross to the back post was headed back into the six yard box by Brisley.

Mansfield couldn’t deal with it and there was Smith to pounce from close range for his first goal of his Notts career.

Neither side made any changes at the break as in a carbon copy of the first half Mansfield looked for an early goal.

Jones was required to block an Omari Sterling-James shot with his legs before the Stags dangerman was denied a goal by Pindroch who beat away his powerful drive.

Notts responded by winning a free-kick which ended with Walker delivering a terrific cross to the back post for Haydn Hollis.

The defender managed to get a touch but couldn’t divert it goalwards much to his frustration.

Back came Notts again as they moved through midfield with Walker picking up possession and letting fly from distance which saw Bobby Olejnik turn it around the post for a corner.

Notts were beginning to turn up the heat, but in the 73rd minute, Mansfield got themselves back in front.

It wasn’t convincing goalkeeping from Pindroch who made a hamfisted attempted to punch the ball clear as CJ Hamilton picked up the loose ball.

He drove into the area, steadied himself, before unleashing a terrific effort into the top corner.

Mansfield were looking for a third goal to kill the game off and they thought it had arrived when Mal Benning’s header seemed destined for the far corner but for a fine save from Pindroch.

The Notts goalkeeper was then involved again moments later when he did brilliantly to thwart Hamilton from distance.

Nolan’s side kept plugging away for an equaliser and the closest they came was when Walker rattled a shot just past the upright.

Notts County: Pindroch, Hollis, Hodge, Thompson, Brisley, Smith (Alessandra 80), Hunt, Walker, Jones (Dickinson 62), Milsom (Grant 80), Saunders. Subs: Fitzsimons, Forte, Bird, Howes.

Mansfield Town: Olejnik, Bennett, Benning, Digby, Mellis, Angol (Hemmings 90), Anderson, Spencer, Sterling-James (Potter 90), Hamilton, Byrom (Thomas 57). Subs: Logan, Pearce, Atkinson, Rose.

Attendance: 2,290 (405 visitors)



Latest | October 2017