{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2017

24th October 2017 13:27

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Barnet 1 - 1 Mansfield Town
Coulthirst 85. Hemmings 45+1
Attendance: 1262 (223 from Mansfield)

Date: 17 October 2017

Martin Shaw at The Hive

Mansfield Town were denied victory at Barnet by a late equaliser from former Stag Shaq Coulthirst at the Hive last night. It was an equaliser Barnet deserved after putting Mansfield under plenty of pressure in the second half though the home side created almost no chances until that late equaliser. The first half was quite even, Barnet had more possession but Mansfield had the better chances. Both sides had harmless shots from long distance before the Stags went closest on 22 minutes as Hayden White got to the byline and chipped a fine cross to Danny Rose who acrobatically fired a shot towards the right post or just inside it before it was cleared away by Michael Nelson. White was first to the clearance chesting down to Alex MacDonald who did well to create space for himself before firing in a low shot that the keeper did well to save with his legs. Two good efforts, with Rose’s reminding me of his goal against Swindon. Barnet didn’t create any worthwhile chances in the first half, Vilhete shot wide from an impossible angle, and Akinola fired straight at Logan from 30 yards. The Stags took the lead on 45+1 minutes. White was clumsily tripped by Akinola 28 yards from goal to the left of centre. After all the talk of Mansfield giving away sloppy free kicks that were costly, here were Barnet doing the same thing. Akinola was harshly booked as it looked more clumsy than deliberate. Will Atkinson rolled the free kick short to MacDonald, who fired into the area, it was going wide before Kane Hemmings turned it into the net from 6 yards for his first Stags goal. My initial thought was that MacDonald was shooting for goal, but from the video it may have been a well-worked set piece given Hemmings’ initial movement towards the ball. The first 15 minutes of the second half was quiet but then Barnet started to put Mansfield under pressure with a series of corners. However neither side created a chance of any description until 72 minutes, when Krystian Pearce miscued a clearance, and Akpa-Akpro sent Coulthirst away down the left. Coulthirst fired across Logan and wide of the right post. The Stags were close to increasing the lead a minute later at the other end. Superb play from Rose, chasing down a lost cause and picking the pocket of man-mountain Santos, Rose found Hemmings with a fine pass, Hemmings was in a great position and curled a low shot towards the bottom right corner but keeper Ross tipped it away with a good save. If Hemmings could have got his shot further into the corner, he probably would have scored, but he gave the keeper a chance. Barnet still had more of the ball, but it was Mansfield who had a couple of half-chances from set pieces with headers for Pearce. Barnet levelled 5 minutes from time, a goal that their pressure deserved. Fonguck played a good 1-2 with Coulthirst on the edge of the area, Fonguck getting the ball back via a little touch from Mal Benning. Fonguck tried to lay the ball off to Akpa-Akpro, but Pearce dived in with a sliding challenge that rebounded off Logan into the path of Coulthirst, who slid the ball goalwards. Paul Digby slid in to try to clear the shot but could only divert it into the roof of the net. A real scramble of a goal but Coulthirst was in the right place at the right time. Hemmings had a half chance to restore the lead as he played a 1-2 with Rose, but the ball was taken off his toe as he was about to shoot. Into stoppage time and Barnet looked the more likely winners as Tutonda had a shot blocked, and then on 90+4 minutes, Conrad Logan made a fine save to preserve a point as Vilhete crossed from the right and Charlie Clough looped a header than was going just under the bar before Logan tipped it over. Overall a disappointing performance from Mansfield in an attacking sense, creating little during the game going forward from midfield and coming under plenty of pressure during the second half, but Mansfield were resolute at the back and nearly held on for the win as Barnet created even fewer good chances. It was an improvement on the dreadful performance against Swindon, but much more of an improvement is needed if the Stags are to climb up the table from the current mid-table position. Barnet had much of the ball, and in David Tutonda, their left wing back, had the best player on the pitch, but for all their pressure, they created even fewer chances than Mansfield. So, on to Newport, who are in the play-off positions and 4 points ahead of Mansfield.



Former Stag strikes late to deny Mansfield a win at Barnet
chad.co.uk, by Agency, Tuesday 17 October 2017

Former Stags loanee Shaq Coulthirst’s strike six minutes from time handed Barnet a late yet deserved equaliser against Steve Evans’ stuttering Mansfield in a 1-1 draw at the Hive tonight. Kane Hemmings had struck just before the interval - his long-awaited first goal for Mansfield in his ninth appearance - and it was looking like the Stags were set to end a run of two straight defeats. Barnet vs Mansfield Town - Danny Rose of Mansfield Town has an effort - Pic By James Williamson However, Barnet struck late as Coulthirst, on loan at Mansfield last year and only declared fit before the game, expertly dispatched a rebound. The Bees looked the more lively of the two sides in the early stages. Veteran Jamal Campbell-Ryce tested Stags ‘keeper Conrad Logan early on when his 25-yard strike was well saved. However, the visitors soon gained a foothold and created some great chances of their own before the half-hour mark.

The Stags were thwarted twice in rapid succession. Danny Rose’s acrobatic effort was frantically hacked off the line, with Alex MacDonald’s rebound was superbly saved by Bees ‘keeper Craig Ross. As the Stags continued to press, Kane Hemmings found plenty of space in the Barnet box, only to fire disappointingly wide. Shortly before the break David Mirfin went close when he met MacDonald’s corner-kick, but he headed over the top. Hemmings broke the deadlock seconds before the whistle, diverting home from close range after MacDonald slipped as he was in the process of shooting. Hemmings almost made it two shortly after the restart. However, his shot was blocked by an over-stretched Campbell-Ryce. Midway through the second period the Bees began to pile on the pressure. Mauro Vilhete powered in a super which was expertly saved by Logan. Ricardo Santos also saw a strike blocked as the Stags were hanging on to their slender lead. The pendulum began to swing back in the Stags’ favour in the latter stages, with Hemmings again being thwarted by a great stop from Ross. However, Coulthirst was to have the final say as the Stags at least ended up taking home a point following back-to-back defeats. Conrad Logan also came up with a superb stoppage time save to keep out Clough’s header and preserve that point.

BARNET: Ross, Almeida-Santos, Nelson, Clough, Vilhete, J. Taylor, Fonguck, Tutonda, Campbell-Ryce (Akpa-Akpro, 68), Coulthirst, Akinola (Mason-Clark, 79). Subs not used: Bover, Shomotun, Blackman, McKenzie-Lyle, H. Taylor.

MANSFIELD: Logan, White, Pearce, Mirfin (Bennett, 53), Bennett, Atkinson, Digby, Butcher, MacDonald, Rose (Spencer, 90), Hemmings (Sterling-James, 88). Subs not used: Olejnik, Mellis, Angol, Anderson.

REFEREE: Craig Hicks. ATTENDANCE: 1,262 (223 away).

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/former-stag-strikes-late-to-deny-mansfield-a-win-at-barnet-1-8810062


Report - Barnet FC 1-1 Mansfield Town

Barnet and Mansfield shared the points in a scrappy game at The Hive London, Shaquile Coulthirst scoring a late equaliser after Calum Butcher’s first-half strike.

Both Barnet and Mansfield went into the Tuesday night fixture off the back of defeats, 2-1 against Notts County and 3-1 against Swindon respectively.

It was Barnet who had an early chance, Jamal Campbell-Ryce shooting from 25 yards, which Stags keeper Conrad Logan did well to save.


The Bees had most of the possession in the first quarter, with 62% of the ball. Coulthirst had the only other chance, a near carbon copy of Campbell-Ryce’s strike, but it just whistled past the post.

Alex MacDonald had the first real chance for Mansfield in the 21st minute, cutting inside and shooting on his left, forcing a fine save from Craig Ross.

Mansfield won a free kick just outside the area after Ricardo Almeida Santos’ foul after 32 minutes, Kane Hemmings shot low and hard but just missed the target.

Mal Benning picked up an early booking for tripping Vilhete, allowing Ross to pump the ball towards the box, winning a throw-in near the right-hand corner flag. From the resulting throw, the ball made its way out to Wesley Fonguck, his volley nearly caught Logan out after he spilt the ball.

David Tutonda created some space for himself in the 41st minute, snapping a ball across the box looking for a killer touch, but it couldn’t find a Barnet shirt. They nearly took the lead soon after though, A free header for Charlie Clough from the resulting corner was just wide of the mark after a lovely floated cross in by Vilhete.

Mansfield got the last chance of the half from a free kick, Simeon Akinola picking up a booking in the process. The ball was sliced by MacDonald, but his shot turned cross found Calum Butcher who placed it into the bottom corner.

However, the referee was reluctant to blow his whistle and Barnet picked up a free-kick in a similar position to the Stags’ seconds earlier. Campbell-Ryce played it in, but it was punched away by Logan, bringing the half to an end.

The start of second half was as scrappy as the first, with free-kicks being given all over the pitch, David Mirfin picking up a booking after 49 minutes. The resulting free-kick led to a Mansfield counter-attack, but Campbell-Ryce was there to intervene before Danny Rose has the chance to shoot.

Logan was caught back peddling when Vilhete’s cross looked to be destined for the goal, but he just managed to turn it around for a corner to spare his embarrassment.

Another free-kick and another booking in the 53rd minute, this time for Paul Digby, gave the Bees a chance to get the ball into the box. Campbell-Ryce lofted the ball in towards the far post, but the Stags managed to clear their lines.

It seemed destined to be a game where set pieces would be the deciding factor, with corners and free-kicks being awarded constantly throughout the game. Whether it be Vilhete’s corners or Campbell-Ryce’s free-kicks, Barnet couldn’t seem to capitalise on the opportunities they were given.

Will Atkinson was booked for a foul on Akinola in the 63rd minute, the fourth yellow card of the evening in just over an hour.

Vilhete looked like the main threat for Barnet, and his short corner to Jack Taylor produced their best chance of the half so far. A lovely ball in just couldn’t find a man in black and amber and resulted in a Mansfield free-kick.

Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro was introduced and gave Coulthirst the chance to bring Barnet back into the game in the 72nd minute. Through on goal, his shot towards the far post was just wide. If it was on target, Stags keeper Logan was well beaten.

Mansfield nearly doubled their lead with a rare chance in a Barnet dominated half, Kane Hemmings turned the defender and his shot was well saved by Ross. Jack Taylor had a half chance when his cross nearly crept in over the head of Logan.

Barnet were pushing all half and they got their deserved equaliser in the 85th minute, Fonguck’s initial effort was only parried by Logan, but Coulthirst was the fox in the box to score his first goal since returning from injury.

As the game pushed into four minutes of stoppage time, Barnet looked to be the only side trying for a winner. Akpa Akpro drilled the ball across the area, but could only find a Mansfield defender. A great save by Logan denied Clough late on, who also met the ball from the resulting corner, but he headed wide with the last chance of the game.

A game filled with hard tackles, half chances and harsh words, Barnet will be pleased to have earnt a point but would’ve felt like they could’ve got more late on.

Attendance: 1262 (223 away)

BARNET: Ross, Clough, Santos, Nelson, Campbell-Ryce (66’ Akpa Akpro), Coulthirst, J. Taylor, Tutonda, Akinola (77’ Mason-Clark), Fonguck, Vilhete.

Unused: McKenzie-Lyle, Bover, H. Taylor, Shomotun, Blackman.


Barnet: Shaq Colthirst's late strike secures draw against Mansfield Town
Barnet Times

A late Shaq Coulthirst equaliser gave Barnet a deserved 1-1 draw against a physical Mansfield Town after the Stags had taken a lead just before half-time.

Barnet boss Rossi Eames reintroduced the three centre-back formation with two wing-backs in Mauro Vilhete and David Tutonda.


He was also able to welcome back top-scorer Coulthirst after a three-match absence through injury which gave the Bees more focus when going forward.

Jamal Campbell-Ryce hit a low shot from the edge of the box in the opening minutes as did Coulthirst moments later as the Bees made a positive start.

The maturing Wesley Fonguck was having an influence in central midfield with Barnet’s wing-backs advancing down the flanks at every opportunity.

Mansfield are a well-drilled and disciplined unit with their central defenders Krystian Pearce and David Mirfin relishing the physical aspect of their job.

Midway through the first-half the visitors had the Bees on the rack, with Michael Nelson coming to their aid with a well-timed block and keeper Craig Ross saving well with his feet.

The Bees then produced a well-worked move which ended with Vilhete blasting over with other players better positioned to take advantage.

Striker Kane Hemmings then responded for the Stags with a strong low shot from a free-kick move that narrowly missed the target.

Barnet were finishing the half strongly, with an effort from distance by Fonguck troubling keeper Conrad Logan and a quality delivery into the middle by Tutonda that should have been converted.

But it was the visitors who were to take the lead in stoppage time when following a questionable free-kick from the edge of the box, Hemmings was able to steer the ball home from close range.

Early in the second-half the hosts were rescued by great tracking back by Campbell-Ryce to deny Hemmings as the striker bore down on the Barnet goal.

Ross also needed to be alert when Hemmings got his shot away with the Barnet keeper happy to concede a corner, but it was the Bees who were dominating as they sought a leveller.

Coulthirst continued to look the most likely scorer for the Bees and he went close when he was played through only for his left-footed effort to miss the target by a whisker.

Barnet were eventually rewarded for their persistence in the 84th minute when Coulthirst picked up a loose ball in the box and he found the back of the net for his seventh league goal of the season.

The Bees then pushed forward in waves seeking a winner but the visitors held firm.

Barnet are now eight games without a win but they continue to be fully committed and deserved a point from this hard fought contest.

Barnet: Ross, Santos, Nelson, Clough, Vilhete, J.Taylor, Fonguck, Tutonda, Campbell-Ryce (Akpa Akpro 68), Coulthirst, Akinola (Mason-Clark 79). Subs not used: Bover, H.Taylor, Shomotun, Blackman, McKenzie-Lyle.



Latest | October 2017