{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2017

19th October 2017 14:12

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 1 - 3 Swindon Town
Rose 90+1. Linganzi 4, Goddard 45, Norris pen 50.
Attendance: 4081 (523 from Swindon)

Date: 14 October 2017

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town put in a dreadful performance to lose their unbeaten home record and fall to a 3-1 defeat to Swindon Town this afternoon. The Stags had plenty of possession in the first half but lacked any quality and cohesiveness, with poor delivery of crosses and only one real chance created in that 45 minutes with Jimmy Spencer bringing a fine save from the keeper. The Stags were too reliant on the long ball. Meanwhile Swindon had quality in their crosses from the experienced Matt Taylor, who created both first half goals with the returning Hayden White losing his man on both occasions, both goals knocked in from close range. Swindon made it 3-0 on 54 minutes with a penalty given for a foul by Pearce (on Norris). It looked very soft and totally innocuous both in real time and from the video. Norris converted the penalty. The Stags rarely if at all looked like getting back into the game until it was too late when they pulled one back on 90+1 minutes. A great cross from the right by Alex MacDonald was superbly finished by Danny Rose, acrobatically volleying into the bottom left corner of the net. It was the quality we’d been wanting to see for the previous 90 minutes. The Stags played without confidence, summed up by players knocking the ball backwards too much, and far too much long ball played. A poor performance from the players, and manager Steve Evans admitted afterwards that he and assistant Paul Raynor have to look at themselves as well. Very disappointing from Mansfield. After the first two defeats of the season at Accrington and Cheltenham, Mansfield responded with fine performances. But after the third defeat of the season at Colchester last week, this was a limp performance which provided the fourth defeat of the season. Mansfield go to a Barnet side who are out of form, on Tuesday night. It is a very winnable game providing Mansfield play better football than today.



REPORT: Mansfield Town 1-3 Swindon Town
chad.co.uk, by STEPHEN THIRKILL, Saturday 14 October 2017

Mansfield Town’s sluggish start to the season continued following a convincing 3-1 defeat at home to Swindon Town.

Goals from Amine Linganzi, John Goddard and a Luke Norris penalty sent the pre-season promotion favourites crashing to their third defeat in four matches.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/report-mansfield-town-1-3-swindon-town-1-8805076

It was a game in which faltering Mansfield failed to get going as they struggled to match the energy levels and desire of their well-drilled visitors.

Top scorer Danny Rose added to his personal tally in the first minute of stoppage time for the merest of consolation goals.

Stags fell behind as early as the fourth minute and, in truth, they failed to recover as Swindon comfortably sat back to protect their lead and hit on the break.

Mansfield were in desperate need of regrouping in the dressing room at half-time following their lacklustre first half.

But before they had to the chance to do so it got much worse with Goddard doubling Swindon’s lead. The dismal day was complete early into the second-half when Norris won and scored a penalty, which he dispatched with ease. An unmarked Linganzi prodded home Matty Taylor’s cross from close range to give the visitors a perfect start on four minutes.

The goal came about after Alex MacDonald gave away a needless free-kick when he brought down Paul Mullin by the corner flag.

It was a goal that seemed to knock the stuffing out of Stags, who enjoyed plenty of possession without managing to create a meaningful chance. Stags had Paddy Logan to thank for a fine save with his legs to stop Norris from doubling Swindon’s lead on 24 minutes.. Mullin then should have done much better when he blazed the loose ball over. Jimmy Spencer turned well before seeing a shot saved low down by Reice-Charles-Cook on the half hour mark. The visitors doubled their lead in the 45th minute after Goddard put the finishing touches to a superb team move. It was a goal greeted by plenty of boos from the home section of the One Call Stadium. Steve Evans made a double change at the break as Omari Sterling-James and Lee Angol came on. And Angol had an immediate impact when he forced Charles-Cook to divert a piledriver over the bar on 50 minutes. It was 3-0 to the Robins on 54 minutes when Norris slotted home from the penalty spot after had drawn a foul from Krystrian Pearce. Rose pulled a goal back with his seventh of the campaign in the 91st minute. But it was too little too late to deny Swindon a deserved win.

Mansfield Town: Logan 6, White 6, Mirfin 7, Pearce 7, Hunt 5, MacDonald 6, Mellis 7, Butcher 5, Atkinson 5 (Angol 45 5), Rose 5, Spencer 6 (Sterling-James 45 5). Subs: Bennett, Anderson, Olejnik, Hamilton, Hemmings. Att: 4,081 (523 away)


FULL-TIME REPORT: Mansfield Town 1 Swindon Town 3
gazetteandherald.co.uk, by Harry Abbott @harryabbott

SWINDON Town claimed their fifth away win out of seven in League Two this season with a clinical display at Mansfield Town this afternoon.

Amine Linganzi gave David Flitcroft’s side the perfect start at the One Call Stadium when he lunged to divert a Matt Taylor free-kick home after only four minutes.


Another Taylor ball in led to Town’s second goal on the stroke of half-time, with John Goddard the man to finish the job this time.

There was little sense of a Mansfield fightback after the restart and Swindon were three goals to the good inside 10 minutes of the second period with Luke Norris planting past Conrad Logan from the penalty spot after Keshi Anderson was manhandled by Krystian Pearce.

Although Mansfield were able to grab a consolation in stoppage time when Danny Rose poked home from close range, the victory was never in doubt for Swindon as they climbed up to eighth in the table and they are now just a single place and point off the play-off spots.

The visitors got off to dream start and took the lead with their first real attack after only four minutes.

Paul Mullin was barged over high on the right by Alex MacDonald, Taylor swung across the free-kick and Linganzi was stronger than Pearce in the stretch to the ball at the back post and was able to guide it home.

Swindon then had a second clear sight of goal in the opening 10 minutes when goalkeeper Logan was caught in no man’s land attempting to scramble back to his line but Anderson could not quite pick out the waiting Norris with the cross.

Mansfield responded well to falling behind and had plenty of possession in the Swindon half without actually creating much.

At one stage, Jimmy Spencer did well to win the ball in the box but then could not quite wriggle away from Matt Preston, who stepped in well to clear.

The visitors then fashioned out another good opening as Norris saw an effort blocked by Logan before laying off to Mullin when the ball came back to him but the wideman could not keep his effort down.

Mansfield went route one in response as Logan picked out Rose, who could not get his effort on target before Swindon stopper Reice Charles-Cook did well to push away a sharp snap-shot from Spencer from the edge of the box.

The contest then seemed to meander towards the break before Swindon suddenly doubled their advantage in the final minute.

A sustained spell of pressure involving Goddard, Norris and Anderson resulted in Taylor delivering another good low ball, with Goddard pouncing ahead of Hayden White in the six-yard box to guide the ball past Logan.

Having not fashioned a clear-cut chance in the opening 45 minutes, Mansfield needed just five of the second period to put that right as substitute Lee Angol cracked in a volley on the angle which Charles-Cook did well to push over.

The warning was heeded by the visitors and they went straight up the other end and grabbed a third goal from the penalty spot.

Ben Purkiss sent in a cross from the right, with referee Oliver Langford deeming that Pearce had manhandled Anderson and pointing to the spot, with Norris drilling low to the left, sending Logan the wrong way.

To their credit, the home side did not roll over and Rose sent an effort from the edge of the box wide before then teeing up Angol who could not quite react quick enough as Charles-Cook gathered.

Mansfield were then appealing for a penalty of their own with 18 minutes to go when substitute Omari Sterling-James went down in the box under pressure from Taylor but referee Langford waved away the claims.

The visitors did not really have a sniff of adding to their advantage in the closing minutes as instead they were required to defend as Mansfield sought a way back into the contest.

The saw off any threat without much alarm right until the clock ticked over in stoppage time when Rose managed to muscle his way between centre backs Lancashire and Preston to get on the end of MacDonald’s low cross and deny Swindon their clean sheet.

MANSFIELD TOWN: Logan; White, Pearce (capt), Mirfin, Hunt; Atkinson (Sterling-James 46), Butcher, Mellis, MacDonald; Rose, Spencer (Angol 46). Subs not useds: Olejnik, Bennett, Anderson, Hamilton, Hemmings.

SWINDON TOWN: Charles-Cook; Purkiss, Lancashire (capt), Preston, Taylor; Dunne, Linganzi; Goddard, Anderson (McDermott 81), Mullin; Norris (Woolery 88). Subs not used: Henry, Robertson, Iandolo, Gordon, Knoyle.

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 4,081 (523 away)


MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 1-3 Swindon Town
Reds Cruise To Victory On The Road

Swindon Town produced another impressive away day display to beat Mansfield Town 3-1 at The One Call Stadium this afternoon.

Amine Linganzi chose a perfect time to open his account for the club as he found the back of the net inside the opening five minutes.


John Goddard gave the Reds some breathing space on the stroke of half-time with his first goal of the season, and Luke Norris was successful from twelve-yards after the interval to make it a very good day at the office with Danny Rose adding a late consolation for the home side.

Dave Flitcroft elected to make two changes with Kaiyne Woolery and Kellan Gordon dropping out, and Paul Mullin and John Goddard both coming in.

Luke Norris was once again the man chosen to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1 formation with the likes of Donal McDermott and Ellis Iandolo among the options on the bench.

Town were out to bounce back following defeat the week before and they made the perfect start to proceedings.

With just four minutes on the clock, Matty Taylor whipped a free-kick into the box after Mullin was barged over and Amine Linganzi was on hand to stab home his first-ever goal for the club.

That fast start helped to settle the visitors down and they were content with being patient in their play and frustrating their hosts.

And Town would go on to carve out more chances of their own as Norris saw his effort kept out by the legs of Conrad Logan, before the striker retrieved the ball to set up Mullin who could only blaze the rebound over the bar.

Olly Lancashire showed a cool head to deny Danny Rose with a superb last-ditch tackle, while Reice Charles-Cook got down superbly to push away Jimmy Spencer's well-struck half-volley from distance.

Goddard then fired over from 20-yards and Alex MacDonald warmed the palms of Charles-Cook with a firm drive as the game began to open up in terms of chances.

It looked likely that there would only be one goal between the sides at the break but Town had other ideas.

Taylor was able to fizz a ball across the face of goal and Goddard was able to flick the cross into the back of the net to put his side firmly in the driving seat.

Swindon were forced to weather an early storm in the second-half as Mansfield looked to get back in the game, and they went close with Lee Angol seeing his powerful volley tipped over the bar by Charles-Cook.

But Town soon regained control of the game and they were able to extend their lead further with 54 minutes played.

Hayden White was adjudged to have fouled Norris inside the area and the striker stepped up to stroke home from the spot to notch his eighth goal of the season.

Town were in cruise control and they were restricting Mansfield to very few openings, although Rose did slice an effort wide.

Charles-Cook had little to do but what he did have to do he dealt with it well as he got down to smother Angol's flicked effort towards goal.

With the game coming to a close, Town decided to introduce some fresh legs as Donal McDermott replaced Keshi Anderson.

Another change soon followed with Kaiyne Woolery replacing the impressive Luke Norris in the closing stages.

Mansfield were able to pull a goal back in the dying minutes thanks to Rose's effort, but it proved to be too little too late as Town ran out comfortable winners.


SCORERS - Amine Linganzi (04), John Goddard (44), Luke Norris (54), Danny Rose (90).

MANSFIELD TOWN (4-4-2) - Logan; White, Pearce (C), Mirfin, Hunt; Atkinson (Omari Sterling-James 45), Butcher, Mellis, MacDonald; Rose, Spencer (Lee Angol 45).

SUBS NOT USED - Olejnik, Bennett, Anderson, Hamilton, Hemmings.

SWINDON TOWN (4-2-3-1) - Charles-Cook, Purkiss, Preston, Lancashire (C), Taylor; Dunne, Linganzi; Mullin, Anderson (Donal McDermott 80), Goddard; Norris (Kaiyne Woolery 87).

SUBS NOT USED - Henry, Robertson, Knoyle, Iandolo, Gordon.


SWINDON TOWN - Reice Charles-Cook

Referee - Oliver Langford

Attendance - 4,081 (523 Away Fans).



Latest | October 2017