{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from October 2017

5th October 2017 0:25

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 3 - 1 Notts County
Rose 47, 59, Duffy OG 63. Dickinson 90+2
Attendance: 7072 (1644 from Notts County)

Date: 30 September 2017

Martin Shaw and Simon Chamberlain at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town hammered Notts County 3-1 at the One Call Stadium this afternoon with a dominant performance against the current league leaders. The Stags have now scored 11 and conceded just 2 in the last three games against Notts County at home. Mansfield are 10 games unbeaten against Notts County in the league now with the last league defeat in 2005. Notts County had won 6 games on the trot and not lost since the opening day of the season. Mansfield had the better of the first half and missed some good opportunities to go in ahead at the break. But a tremendous opportunistic effort from Danny Rose on 47 minutes, lifting the ball over the advancing keeper, gave the Stags a deserved lead. Mansfield increased the lead on 59 minutes when substitute Omari Sterling-James put in a fine cross from the right, Kane Hemmings headed down towards the bottom left corner of the net, the keeper scooped the ball against the inside of the post and Danny Rose knocked it over the line. In commentary, I initially credited it as Hemmings’ goal, but from the video it appears to be Danny Rose’s goal. The Stags sealed the game after 63 minutes when the outstanding Rose received a quick throw-in from Sterling-James, crossed low into the middle and defender Richard Duffy sliced the ball into the his own net from 3 yards. The Stags had chances to make it even more emphatic, including Alex MacDonald somehow firing wide from 14 yards after a fabulous touch from Rose. Notts County scored a consolation goal on 90+2 minutes when Dickinson fired in a great free kick from 28 yards, despite Conrad Logan getting a hand on it. County nearly put a false impression on the scoreline on 90+4 minutes with a header from Brisley that hit the bar. A fine performance from Mansfield, just what was needed after the terrible showing at Cheltenham. Danny Rose was quite outstanding. Alex MacDonald had a fine game on the left though should have scored. Omari Sterling-James did well on the right after replacing the injured Alfie Potter. Calum Butcher had a very solid game, especially in the second half putting his foot on the ball, playing simple passes, and getting stuck in. At the back, Krystian Pearce had a very good game, winning almost everything, David Mirfin was generally solid alongside him, and Paul Anderson impressed hugely stepping in at right back with Bennett not fully recovered from a virus and White still injured.

Mansfield made four changes from the side that lost so disappointingly at Cheltenham. Bennett was not recovered from a virus so not 100% fit, while White was still injured. So Paul Anderson moved to right back. Anderson had played some games at right back in the Championship according to Evans. Angol was also struggling to shake off a virus and just 90% fit, so he didn’t start. In came Kane Hemmings. Alfie Potter and Alex MacDonald came in to the wide positions in midfield. Atkinson moved into central midfield. Butcher came into the side and joined him in central midfield, surprisingly, at the expense of Mellis who dropped to the bench (despite being the best player at Cheltenham in my opinion). Evans wanted more bite in midfield today, and his decision was vindicated.

Former Stags Terry Hawkridge and Nicky Hunt were on the bench for Notts County.

The match was played for the Matt Salmon trophy in memory of the former physio, who died recently aged 25, and represented both clubs, and there was a minute's applause in the 25th minute.

It was the latest in the series of 8 (eight) 1pm kick-offs this season, on the insistence of the police. That’s 20% of the afternoon fixtures this season. PC Carl Gabbitas of Mansfield Police tweeted during the week that “Kick off changes occur if intelligence suggests it will help prevent disorder. I feel your frustration and the decision is not taken lightly”.

It was a cracking atmosphere with a crowd of over 7,000. The game was mostly played in sunshine.



REPORT: Mansfield Town 3-1 Notts County
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 30 September 2017

Magnificent Mansfield Town ended table-topping Notts County’s winning streak at six games with a convincing 3-1 home win in the big Nottinghamshire derby this afternoon. For the third Saturday is a row Danny Rose was the hero as he followed his winning goals against Lincoln and Cambridge with a second half brace. A Richard Duffy own goal sealed the points before Notts stole a stoppage time consolation from a Carl Dickinson free kick. It was the perfect way for Stags to bounce back from Tuesday’s disappointment at Cheltenham and made it 10 League games unbeaten against the Magpies. Stags had the best of a scrappy first half and wasted several good chances, but from the second Rose netted two minutes after the break, the home side were firmly in the box seat. The victory also meant Stags had won the inaugural Matt Salmon trophy, to be played for each time the sides meet, in memory of the late Matt Salmon - the 25-year-old physio who had worked for both clubs and died of cancer in the sumer. For the Stags out went Rhys Bennett, Lee Angol, Paul Digby and Jacob Mellis, replaced by Alfie Potter, Alex MacDonald, Kane Hemmings and Calum Butcher. Hayden White failed to shake off his groin strain so Paul Anderson moved to right back. Bennett and Angol were on the bench but had not fully recovered from a virus. Notts also made four changes - Tootle, Brisley, Grant and Forte in for Hunt, Hewitt, Walker and Hawkridge. Notts forced a corner in the opening minute, though were penalised for a foul. But Stags threatened first on six minutes as Hemmings headed on a MacDonald free kick towards Rose, who was unable to control and get a decent shot at goal from close range as the ball bounced wide for a goalkick. Grant then saw a curling effort deflect over for County’s third corner. A good throw from Logan sent Rose on the rampage at the other end only to see his shot blocked. Pearce gave Grant sight of goal on 18 minutes when he conceded a free kick right on the edge of the box, but Hunt got a foot onto Grant’s low kick and hooked it over the bar. On 20 minutes Collin had his first save to make as MacDonald curled a 30-yard free kick towards the top right corner which the keeper turned round, Hemmings looked like he might open his Stags goal account on 22 minutes as he chased a high ball forward from Butcher but, 10 yards from goal, he sliced his volley and failed to test Collin. The 25th minute applause for late physio Matt Salmon was warmly respected by both sets of fans. But there were immediately groans as Pearce drilled the ball low across the six yard box from the left by-line and Hemmings somehow turned it over from four yards with the goal at his mercy. Stags lost Potter with an injury on 31 minutes and it took a couple of minutes to get Sterling-James warmed up and into the action. County almost grabbed the lead out of nowhere on 41 minutes as, following the best succession of passes all game, a loose ball in the box rolled towards Alessandra, who whipped it over from 12 yards. However, the Stags made the perfect start to the second half as Rose put them ahead within two minutes. Duffy tried to head a forward ball back to his keeper but Rose nipped in and poked the ball over the stranded keeper and into the empty net. On 53 minutes County came close to levelling in an almighty scramble, but Mirfin was perfectly placed on the line to deny Forte from seven yards. On 59 minutes later it was 2-0. This time Sterling-James whipped in a great ball from the right to the far post where Hemmings got in a close range header that Collin turned onto a post. It appeared to have crossed the line, but Rose made sure as he smashed it into the net to make sure from point blank range. Incredibly it was 3-0 on 63 minutes. This time Sterling-James took a quick throw on the right to Rose who sent the ball across goal hard and low and Duffy turned it into his own net. Desperate County made a triple change on 67 minutes as Hewitt, Ameobi and Hawkridge came on for Duffy, Forte and Alessandra. It could have been 4-0 on 74 minutes but Pearce was too high with his header from a MacDonald free kick from the right. Spencer was given a late run-out against his former club in place of Hemmings on 86 minutes. On the restart MacDonald blazed a powerful rising effort over the County bar. With a minute to go, a lovely flick from Rose put MacDonald in acres of space with only the keeper to beat only to plant his finish wide. Rose was immediately withdrawn to huge cheers to be replaced by Angol. Notts had the final say with a 92nd minute consolation as Dickinson curled home a superb 30 yard free kick into the top corner. Brisley’s far post header deep into stoppage time was turned onto the bar by Logan as Notts ended on the front foot but well beaten.

STAGS: Logan; Anderson, Pearce, Mirfin, Hunt; Potter (Sterling-James 33), Butcher, Atkinson, MacDonald; Hemmings (Spencer 86), Rose. Subs not used: Olejnik, Bennett, Mellis, Angol, Hamilton.

NOTTS: Collin, Tootle, Dickinson, Duffy (Hewitt 67), Alessandra (Hawkridge 67), Grant, Forte (Ameobi 67), Brisley, Yates, Milsom, Stead. Subs not used: Pindroch, Smith, Hunt, Walker.

REFEREE: Darren Drysdale of Lincolnshire. ATTENDANCE: 7,022 (1,644 away).


Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/report-mansfield-town-3-1-notts-county-1-8781180


Report: Mansfield 3-1 Notts

Notts County were beaten 3-1 by Mansfield Town at the One Call Stadium.

Each goal came after a cagey first half ended goalless, Danny Rose striking twice before Richard Duffy put through his own net.

Carl Dickinson curled home a consolation goal with a stoppage-time free-kick but it wasn't enough to prevent Notts' brilliant run coming to an end.


Kevin Nolan made four changes to the side that beat Exeter 3-0 on Tuesday night.

Matt Tootle, Shaun Brisley, Jorge Grant and Jonathan Forte came in for the bench-bound Nicky Hunt, Elliott Hewitt, Liam Walker and Terry Hawkridge.

The first chance of the game went to the hosts on six minutes when a lofted free-kick into the area was nodded into the path of Rose three yards out. He couldn't deal with the bouncing ball, however, and it went wide.

Notts responded with a Jorge Grant effort which was deflected on to the roof of the net by a Stags defender.

It was proving to be a cagey start from both sides but Notts had an opportunity to break the tension when Grant won a free-kick on the edge of the area. He went low with his strike, seeing the ball toe-poked over the bar by a Mansfield man.

The Stags then had a dangerous set piece of their own, Alex MacDonald bending the ball towards the top corner only to see it tipped over by Adam Collin.

Mansfield had another opportunity moments later, Kane Hemmings latching on to a looping ball over the top before deciding to take his shot on the volley, slicing the ball high and wide from the edge of the area.

Rapturous applause rang around the One Call Stadium when the clock hit 25 minutes as both sets of fans paid tribute to Matt Salmon, the former Mansfield physio who passed away earlier this year.

And the Stags should have capped the tribute with the opening goal when Hemmings was picked out from the left before volleying over from close range.

Steve Evans was forced into an early change when the injured Alfie Potter was replaced by Omari Sterling-James with just over half an hour on the clock.

As half-time neared, Dickinson played a lovely ball down the left for Grant, who took an excellent first touch and got round his defender as he cut into the area. He played a square ball to Alessandra 12 yards out but, rushed into his shot by two nearby defenders, the wide man could only fire over from 12 yards.

There were no changes for either side at the break but, within two minutes of the restart, the Stags altered the scoreline in their favour.

Duffy was unable to get enough power on his header back to Collin and, with the keeper stranded, Rose lobbed the ball into the empty net.

Notts came agonisingly close to an equaliser on 53 minutes when, following an almighty scramble in the Stags' six-yard box, Forte saw his goalbound effort blocked by a well-placed home defender.

But the next goal was to come at the other end just before the hour. Sterling-James' cross from the right was headed towards the bottom corner by Hemmings. Collin made a brilliant save to keep the ball out but Rose was first on the scene to score from point-blank range.

It got worse for the Magpies shortly afterwards when, after the ball was fizzed low across the face of Notts' goal, Duffy could only turn it into his own net.

Three Magpies subs followed, with Shola Ameobi, Hewitt and Hawkridge replacing Forte, Duffy and Alessandra.

Krystian Pearce headed the ball over from a corner as the hosts looked to put the game beyond any remaining doubt.

MacDonald curled the ball wide of the far post shortly before four added minutes were indicated at the end of the match.

That proved to be sufficient time for Dickinson to beat Conrad Logan with a long-range free-kick, keeping Notts' slender hopes alive.

But, seconds after Brisley rattled the crossbar with a header, the referee called time on proceedings as the match ended 3-1 to the hosts.



Latest | October 2017