{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2017

28th September 2017 23:44

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 2 - 1 Cambridge United
Mellis pen 65, Rose 87. Legg 58
Attendance: 3814 (349 from Cambridge)

Date: 23 September 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town came from behind to beat Cambridge United 2-1 this afternoon. It’s well known that successful sides have to be able to win when they don’t play well and Mansfield certainly achieved that this afternoon with a pretty poor performance overall but they still managed to dig out the 3 points. Cambridge arrived level on points with Mansfield and impressed through most of the game, suggesting that they will be in and around the play-offs this season. Cambridge were certainly the better team in the first half, with by far the best two chances of the half as firstly the powerful Jabo Ibehre headed cleverly across to Jevani Brown whose low shot from the edge of the area was heading for the bottom right corner of the net before Conrad Logan pulled off a brilliant save to tip it wide. Then the ball fell for Brad Halliday on the edge of the area and his low rasping drive deflected off David Mirfin and just over the bar. Ibehre and his strike partner Uche Ikpeanza had been a real handful in that first half, as powerful a front two as I’ve seen in the league, and Mirfin and Krystian Pearce had done really well to keep them at bay. The Stags had been so disappointing pushing forward, and Steve Evans appeared to be getting more and more frustrated on the touchline with his midfield and forward line. Cambridge continued their supremacy early in the second half and a warning shot was fired on 51 minutes when the tricky Piero Mingoia crossed from the left and Ibehre rose above Pearce to head just wide. Poor from Pearce. Then Ikpeazu went on a great run down the right, cut inside and sent a low shot just wide of the left post. A goal seemed to be coming for Cambridge and it duly arrived on 58 minutes. George Maris’s corner from the left was curled to the far post where Leon Legge lost his marker Pearce to head down into the ground and into the top corner of the net from 6 yards. Disappointing from Pearce, coming after he had allowed Ibehre a free header just 7 minutes earlier. The Stags hadn’t looked like scoring all game but were level after 65 minutes through excellent play from Hayden White bursting forward down the right. Jacob Mellis, on as sub, did well to win the ball and slide it down the touchline to White, White cut inside to the edge of the area, played the ball across the edge of the area to Kane Hemmings, and as Hemmings knocked the ball back towards White who had carried on his run into the area, White was tripped by Maris. It was a clear penalty. Lee Angol, who successfully converted two penalties against Grimsby, was still on the subs bench, so the task fell to Mellis to step up and take the penalty. Mellis’s penalty was into the bottom right corner, but keeper David Forde got down brilliantly and it seemed as though he had saved it, but the ball squirmed up and into the net. Relief for Mellis and for Mansfield. Finally the Stags started to look more creative, with subs Mellis and Anderson playing well. On 71 minutes, good play from White to set up Alex MacDonald for a chance but he fired over. Angol replaced the disappointing Hemmings on 74 minutes, and it was Angol who nearly put the Stags in front on 84 minutes as he magnificently controlled a long free kick from Logan in the box, turned and fired in a rasping shot which keeper Forde pushed away. The Stags didn’t deserve a winner but they got it on 87 minutes. White chipped a ball forward from the halfway line to the edge of the area where Pearce beautifully flicked a header into the path of Danny Rose, who lost his marker, to slide a left footed shot first time into the bottom right corner of the net from 10 yards. A clinical finish from Rose, and a superb assist from Pearce who atoned for his earlier errors. 6 minutes of stoppage time were added on and Cambridge had just one chance to equalise as Mingoia volleyed goalwards from 18 yards and Logan unconventionally punched the ball away and behind for a corner. It was all about keeping the shot out and Logan did just that. So the Stags held on for victory that was clearly not deserved but the three points were important against a good side. Some disappointing performances from Stags players, including Calum Butcher, Paul Digby, Alfie Potter and Kane Hemmings. But also some good performances: Mirfin was very good against difficult opponents, Pearce played well though made two errors, one of which cost a goal but he atoned with an excellent assist for Rose’s goal, White played well and got the Stags back into the game winning the penalty, Hunt was again solid at left back, MacDonald was the pick of the midfield that started the game, and Danny Rose had a fine game, with tremendous battling spirit and fittingly popping up with the winner for the second match running. The three Stags substitutes also made a difference: Mellis added much needed creativity and really should be starting, especially in home games in my opinion, Anderson did well, and Lee Angol nearly scored with a fabulous bit on control. On to Cheltenham on Tuesday and much for Steve Evans to contemplate, but I would think that today’s substitutes Mellis, Anderson and Angol have done more than enough to warrant a starting position.



MATCH REPORT: Mansfield Town 2-1 Cambridge United
chad.co.uk, by JOHN LOMAS, Saturday 23 September 2017

For the second week in a row Danny Rose proved to be Mansfield Town’s matchwinner as his 87th minute goal saw the Stags steal a 2-1 home win over Cambridge United this afternoon. Stags struggled to hit top gear in a tight game against their play-off rivals, with only goal difference separating them pre-match. United began the second half the stronger after a scoreless first half and, after Uche Ikpeazu had missed a golden chance to break the deadlock, Cambridge did go in front on 58 minutes when skipper Leon Legge headed home from a corner. However, the Stags were level from the penalty spot through sub Jacob Mellis on 65 minutes - the Stags’ first home goal against Cambridge in 444 miserable minutes. That finally brought the home side to life and the stage was set for Rose to bag his fourth goal of the season and secure all three points to keep the Stags in the play-off spots. Mansfield made one change with Rose replacing Lee Angol up front. Otherwise boss Steve Evans stuck with the side that won 1-0 at Lincoln City last weekend to make it five League games unbeaten. For Cambridge, Shaun Derry announced an unchanged side after their 2-1 win against Coventry last weekend. Former Stags loanee Greg Taylor was in the starting XI and another former Stags loanee, Kyle Howkins, was on their bench. Current Stags loanee George Taft was unable to play under the terms of the loan deal. Stags had failed to beat Cambridge in any of their last four visits to the One Call Stadium or even scored a goal. Three of them finished 0-0 and the other a 1-0 win to Cambridge. Stags had not scored at home against Cambridge in 379 minutes of football - the last coming in February 2013. A cat and mouse opening saw neither keeper threatened, though Rose almost connected with an acrobatic attempt at a scissor kick six yards from goal on 10 minutes. A minute later Ibehre sent a tame header into Logan’s arms. It took 25 minutes for the sides to fashion a proper chance - and it fell to Cambridge as Stags failed to clear Deegan’s right wing cross and Ibehre was able to nod down for Brown to drill in a low 20 yard shot that Logan did well to parry at full stretch low to his left. On 38 minutes, after a series of passes, Halliday saw a low shot deflect up off Digby and over the top for a corner. Hemmings finally tested the visiting keeper on 40 minutes with a 25 yard shot on the turn, but Forde held on with ease. Stags should have been behind on 51 minutes. Mingoia floated in a cross from the left which picked out Ibehre six yards from goal only to direct his header inches wide of the far post. Cambridge had started the second half much the better of the sides so after 54 minutes Stags made a double change as Mellis and Anderson came on for Potter and Digby. Ikpeazu fired low and wide on 57 minutes, then MacDonald, off balance, managed to get a shot on target at the other end seconds later. The breakthrough finally came on 58 minutes as United grabbed the lead. Maris sent in a corner from the left and Legge met it with a header that hit the ground first before shooting high into the net. Stags were gifted a way back into the game on 65 minutes from the penalty spot. White charged into the box and, as he went for a return pass, he was tripped by Maris. Mellis stepped up and tried to place the ball inside the right post. Forde guessed correctly and half-stopped it, but the ball managed to run over the line to the home side’s delight. A neat move by the home side then worked the ball to MacDonald just inside the box, but his powerful shot was always rising and comfortably cleared the bar. At the other end Ikpeazu hooked an overhead kick wide. Mansfield made their final change on 74 minutes as top scorer Angol replaced Hemmings up front. With six minutes to go a long ball forward found Angol who sent a rasping half-volley at Forde. More Stags pressure saw MacDonald and Angol have shots blocked as went entered the last five minutes. The home side were finally ahead with three minutes to go - and Rose again was the hero. Pearce nodded down a Mirfin ball into the box and Rose swept it past Forde with a superb finish. In six added minutes Loan had to get his fists in the way of a vicious Mingoia blast.

STAGS: Logan; White, Pearce, Mirfin, Hunt; Potter (Mellis 54), Digby (Mellis 54), Butcher, MacDonald; Rose, Hemmings (Angol 74). Subs not used: Olejnik, Bennett, Atkinson, Sterling-James.

CAMBRIDGE: Forde, Halliday, Deegan, Taylor (Howkins 90), Legge, Mingoia, Ikpeazu, Dunk, Ibehre, Maris (Amoo 81), Brown (Elito 68). Subs not used: Mitov, Carroll, O’Neil, Foy.

REFEREE: Ben Toner of Lancashire. ATTENDANCE: 3,814 (349 away). CHAD STAGS MAN OF THE MATCH: David Mirfin.

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/match-report-mansfield-town-2-1-cambridge-united-1-8769225


cambridge-united.co.uk, 23 September 2017

Cambridge United could consider themselves unlucky not to have taken anything from Field Mill, as Mansfield Town ran out 2-1 winners in Sky Bet League Two.

Despite taking the lead through Leon Legge before the hour mark, United came away empty handed following a penalty from Jacob Mellis and a late winner from Danny Rose.

Shaun Derry named an unchanged starting eleven for the fourth consecutive Sky Bet League Two fixture, whilst Jake Carroll returned to the bench for the U’s.


Jevani Brown came closest of anyone to breaking the deadlock in a quiet first half, when the tricky forward caught a half volley sweetly on the swivel, only to see the effort turned past the post by Mansfield keeper Conrad Logan.

The U’s were comfortable defensively throughout the opening 45 minutes with only a mid-range strike from Kane Hemmings which was held by Forde and an attempted overhead kick by Danny Rose threatening to cause any hint of a problem.

The match continued in similar fashion after the break and United should have scored when Mingoia picked out a delightful cross to find Ibehre who guided his head the wrong side of the post from six yards out.

Uche Ikpeazu fired another warning sign for the U’s when he drifted in from the right before driving a left footed shot past the far post.

However, Shaun Derry’s men did deservedly break the deadlock on 58 minutes when Legge powered a header into the turf and past Conrad Logan from George Maris’ corner delivery, to score his second goal of the season.

The lead was short-lived though as referee Ben Toner dubiously awarded the Stags a penalty five minutes later when Hayden White was floored in the U’s area and Jacob Mellis converted from the spot despite David Forde’s best efforts.

The goal provided Steve Evans’ side with the perfect get out of jail free card, as the hosts registered with two minutes of normal time remaining through Rose, who slid in a late winner to complete the unfortunate final score line for the U’s.

Mansfield Town: Logan, Digby (Mellis, 53 mins), Pearce, MacDonald, White, Potter (Anderson, 53 mins), Mirfin, Hunt, Hemmings (Angol, 73 mins), Butcher, Rose

Cambridge United: Forde, Halliday, Legge, Taylor (Howkins, 90 mins), Dunk, Mingoia, Deegan, Maris (Amoo, 80 mins), Brown (Elito, 67 mins), Ikpeazu, Ibehre

Attendance: 3,814 (349)


Mansfield Town 2-1 Cambridge United player ratings: Leon Legge, Jevani Brown and Jabo Ibehre stand out for U's on disappointing day
Only three players make an impression in defeat to Mansfield Town

Cambridge United slipped to a disappointing 2-1 defeat at the One Call Stadium.

It was a rugged game played out on the image of both managers, from which Mansfield deservedly took the spoils.

The U’s failed to build on Leon Legge’s opener and fell away badly in the second half.

Here's how we rated the players...

David Forde - Hugely unlucky for the penalty with the cruel backspin of the ball. Crucial late save from Angol and could do nothing for the late goal. 6

Brad Halliday - Battled away with consummate determination in the first half but didn’t deal with the long ball for the winner as it flew down his channel. 6

Greg Taylor - A committed if at times cumbersome display from the former Stag, ending the game with a bandaged head. Made a fine block from Angol at the death. 6

Leon Legge - Tried to keep the backline organised against the home side’s late push and couldn’t quite manage it. Rose superbly to head the opener. 7

Harrison Dunk - Struggled. Got caught napping early on for Mansfield’s only two first-half chances and conceded a couple of needless fouls. Jake Carroll’s claim on left-back strengthens. 5

Gary Deegan - Deegan’s role was to sit in absorb periods of pressure like the one Mansfield mustered in the second half, and he failed to do so. 5

Jevani Brown - Excelled, particularly first half. Found pockets of space from which to invent and worked back throughout, nicking possession back on several occasions. 7

George Maris - Hard not to feel for the youngster, but he conceded a clumsy penalty having just set up Legge with a corner. 5

Piero Mingoia - Could have snatched a point in injury time with a shot saved. Otherwise his crossing was mixed, at times incisive but with a fair share of wayward delivery. 6

Uche Ikpeazu - At times it’s hard to know what’s going through his mind but he threatened at times on the counter-attack. 6

Jabo Ibehre - The wily forward ran riot in the first half and with his back to goal, Ibehre is one of the trickier customers in the division. His miss just after half-time proved vital. 7


Medy Elito - Struggled to make any kind of impression after coming on. 5

David Amoo - Lost in the scramble of the closing stages. 5

Kyle Howkins - Late sub for injured Greg Taylor. N/A



Latest | September 2017