{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2017

15th September 2017 23:54

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 0 - 0 Wycombe Wanderers
Attendance: 2938 (154 from Wycombe)

Date: 12 September 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town drew 0-0 with Wycombe Wanderers at a wet and windy One Call Stadium and had keeper Conrad Logan to thank for saving a point. The Stags started the game well in the opening 15 minutes and should have been ahead early when fine play from Jacob Mellis on the byline set up a glorious chance for Lee Angol, completely unmarked 9 yards out, but his shot towards the top corner was brilliantly tipped away by Wycombe keeper Scott Brown. However Wycombe bossed the last 30 minutes of the half with Mansfield very relieved to get to the break at 0-0. Logan made a world-class save on 22 minutes, Joe Jacobson curled in a free kick from the left, and Dan Scarr leapt above Rhys Bennett to power a header towards the left of the net. It looked in the net, indeed on commentary I was part of the way through saying it was in, when Logan tipped it away. Absolutely magnificent from Logan. Look out for video of the save on the club’s youtube channel with commentary at midday on Wednesday. On 25 minutes, Logan then made a triple save, Marcus Bean fired in a low shot from 25 yards which Logan did well to save by getting down low to push away, it came back to Bean, who fired in another low shot, again pushed away by Logan, to Luke O’Nien just 6 yards out and his shot from point blank range was again saved by Logan. Tremendous stuff from the Stags keeper. Mansfield were unfortunate that the wind, which had been relatively calm in the first half, now became strong, and right behind Wycombe’s backs for whole of the second half. The second half was a very poor affair, not helped by the terrible conditions of driving rain and wind, but it was Mansfield who came closest to winning it on 82 minutes, when sub Alfie Potter made a superb run down the right forcing his way past left back Jacobson and slid a magnificent ball across the six yard box where it seemed Paul Anderson must score at the far post but Dominic Gape did enough to put Anderson off such that he couldn’t turn the ball into the empty net from 3 yards. Wycombe looked dangerous especially from corners in the second half that were being blown by the wind towards to the goal. Overall this was a poor performance from Mansfield and one that I think was a point gained due to the excellence of Logan. Not too many impressive performances from the outfield players, though Mirfin and Pearce generally did well at centre half, and Hunt was steady at left back. A few players had a night to forget including Rhys Bennett, Calum Butcher, and Kane Hemmings. Wycombe extended their unbeaten away run to 10 games. The Stags head for Lincoln on Saturday (1pm kick off) looking for a better performance.



MATCH REPORT: Stags again fail to beat bogey side Wycombe in damp squib of a game Mansfield Town v Wycombe Wanderers at the One Call Stadium - Sky Bet League Two, Tuesday September 12th 2017. Mansfield player Lee Angol. Picture: Chris Etchells JOHN LOMAS Email Published: 21:47 Tuesday 12 September 2017 Mansfield Town once again failed to beat bogey side Wycombe Wanderers at home as the sides drew 0-0 in driving wind and rain tonight. It is now seven games and over 10 years since the Stags beat Wycombe at the One Call, but they rarely looked like doing it tonight in a game that saw much hard work and endeavour but little quality. Stags started well and had chances, but Wycombe dominated the rest of the first half and only some brilliant stops by keeper Conrad Logan kept them off the score sheet. The second half saw few chances at either end as Krystian Pearce and David Mirfin shut out the visitors with solid displays. Stags remain unbeaten at home and Wycombe unbeaten away with the 0-0 a fair reflection of a night to forget. Mansfield boss Steve Evans eventually named an unchanged side. Evans had said yesterday he may make a change or two with three games in eight days but settled on the XI that saw off visiting Grimsby Town 4-1 on Saturday. That meant skipper Zander Diamond once again had to make so with a place on the bench. Wycombe made three changes with two loan players given full EFL debuts Birmingham City defender Dan Scarr and QPR midfielder Eberechi Eze. But they were again without injured striker, Ade Akinfenwa. Mansfield made a bright start and on four minutes Angol almost netted as Mellis pulled the ball back to him from the right by-line and Angol forced a save with his first time finish well saved by Brown. Seconds later Bennett headed a far post cross at the keeper. A great series of one-touch passes worked the ball to MacDonald for a shot that deflected for a corner on 12 minutes as the home side kept up the pressure. Then neat footwork by Angol on the right saw him send over a cross that was inches too high for Hemmings right in front of goal. Wycombe finally fashioned a chance on 17 minutes as Hunt was robbed by Eze, who sent a low shot just wide of the far post. But Logan was forced into a fine save on 22 minutes after Byrom had conceded a free kick on the left by-line. Jacobson swung it in and Logan reacted well to claw away Scar’s powerful close range header. Logan was again the hero on 25 minutes as he twice denied Bean with successive low shots and then got in the way of O’Nien from point blank range from the second rebound when the Wycombe man should have scored. On the half hour Mansfield had another let-off as O’Nien flicked a header just wide from a Jacobson free kick. We then had a hold-up as referee Rob Lewis went down injured and eventually limped off to be replaced by Alf Greenwood as Stags enjoyed a much-needed breather from being under the cosh. But it was the visitors who were straight back onto the offensive as Eze warmed Logan’s hands from 25 yards. Bean fouled Hemmings on a Stags break a minute from the break to see the night’s first yellow card. The first half had belonged largely to Wycombe but they had failed to find the net. Stags made a double change at the break, taking off MacDonald and Mellis and sending on Atkinson and Anderson, Butcher moving inside. Hemmings helped the ball into the sidenetting in Stags’ first raid of the half. Butcher hacked down Eze for his third booking in as many appearances on 51 minutes. Mackail-Smith created danger on 56 minutes with a neat turn but sent his finish over the bar from the right hand side of the box. On 58 minutes O’Nien was booked for taking both Bennett’s legs with a late sliding challenge. Stags swapped things round again on 61 as Potter replaced Butcher with Atkinson moving into the middle alongside Byrom. Potter was immediately clattered by Jacobson and needed treatment, the Wycombe man booked. Mansfield almost stole an 82nd minute winner as Potter went past Jacobson on the right and sent the ball across the face of goal where Gape did enough to prevent Anderson turning home. Four added minutes failed to provide a winner at the end of a poor game of football.

STAGS: Logan, Bennett, Pearce, Mirfin, Hunt, Butcher (Potter 61), Byrom, Mellis (Atkinson HT), MacDonald (Anderson HT), Hemmings, Angol. Subs not used: Olejnik, Diamond, Rose, Spencer.

WYCOMBE: Brown, Harriman, Jacobson, Scarr, Stewart, Bean, Gape, O’Nien (Bloomfield 74), Eze, Umerah (Southwell 83), Mackail-Smith (Cowan-Hall 68). Subs not used: Richardson, Jombati, El-Abd, Freeman.

REFEREE: Rob Lewis of Shropshire. ATTENDANCE: 2,938 (154 away).


Read more at: http://www.hucknalldispatch.co.uk/sport/football/match-report-stags-again-fail-to-beat-bogey-side-wycombe-in-damp-squib-of-a-game-1-8750257


Report: Mansfield 0-0 Wycombe

Wycombe made it back-to-back clean sheets with a 0-0 draw at Mansfield Town and continued to be undefeated on the road since February.

Like Saturday’s draw at Newport, the Chairboys left the One Call Stadium having created good chances to snatch all three points, amidst wet and swirling conditions against a strong Stags side.

Gareth Ainsworth made three changes for this one, handing an EFL debut to Dan Scarr and a full debut to Ebere Eze, with Marcus Bean also coming into the side in place of Adam El-Abd, Paris Cowan-Hall and Matt Bloomfield respectively.


There was a milestone appearance for Joe Jacobson, who would skipper the side, as he made his 400th professional appearance.

The first opportunity of the game went to Lee Angol in the opening couple of minutes; peeling off his marker and finding space in the box before connecting with a low cross which Brown got up well to his left to tip behind.

After some intricate one-touch play on the edge from the Stags, Jacobson had to be on hand to block an Alex MacDonald shot destined for the target.

Debutant Scarr almost made a dream start to his EFL career on 22 minutes after Eze showed a good turn of pace and earned a free kick on the by-line. Jacobson whipped it in and found the deadline day signing who saw his header expertly stopped by Conrad Logan.

The Chairboys would be left scratching their heads as to how they did not take the lead three minutes later. Bean received the ball in space from 25-yards and tried his luck with a zipping low drive, which was parried back out to him. His second shot deflected goalwards which was too hot for Logan to handle and Luke O’Nien somehow saw his rebound stopped by the keeper from 5-yards out.

O’Nien would then see a glancing header from Jacobson’s free kick go narrowly wide as he found space in the box and has beat the keeper all ends up, but also the post.

An injury to referee Rob Lewis saw him replaced by fourth official Michael D’Aguilar, as Assistant Alf Greenwood came into the middle. That stoppage in play came at the wrong time for the Chairboys who were enjoying a dominant spell, and allowed Mansfield to regroup and get to the half level.

Half-time: Mansfield 0-0 Wycombe

It was a brave but vital headed clearance from Scarr from a dipping cross in the opening stages as Mansfield improved after the restart . The tempo was being disrupted by regular whistles though.

Mackail-Smith used his experience to roll his marker with an excellent first touch before firing over 55 minutes, as Wycombe imposed themselves on the second period.

The swirling wind was starting to play his part as Ainsworth introduced Paris Cowan-Hall and Matt Bloomfield in place of Mackail-Smith and Luke O’Nien, who had picked a yellow card.

Umerah saw a glimpse of goal on 76 minutes as Rhys Bennett missed his header and the ball fell kindly for the striker but the chance evaded the Charlton loanee and the Stags cleared.

At the other end it bounced kindly for sub Alfie Potter down the right, who slid it in low, but fellow sub Paul Anderson couldn't quite stretch to reach it as Dominic Gape did well to put him off.

Dayle Southwell came on for Umerah as Wycombe looked to mount a late charge, though it would not fall for them.

So 0-0 it finished as Stags keeper Logan was named as Man of the Match for his first half heroics. Chairboys continue their unbeaten run on the road and head into Saturday’s game with back-to-back clean sheets with another deserved point against strong opposition.

Attendance: 2,938 (154 Wycombe)



Latest | September 2017