{ the news }
An independent supporters' website dedicated to Mansfield Town FC
Archived News from September 2017

15th September 2017 15:33

English Football League - Sky Bet League Two
Mansfield Town 4 - 1 Grimsby Town
Angol pen 34, pen 80, Pearce 54, Osbourne OG 64. Jones pen 85
Attendance: 4625 (1252 from Grimsby, not including police)

Date: 9 September 2017

Martin Shaw at the One Call Stadium, Field Mill

Mansfield Town thumped Grimsby Town 4-1 in the early kick off at the One Call Stadium today. There had been much talk about the Stags missing three penalties in the last six games, all being very costly. This time the Stags had two penalties and Lee Angol confidently dispatched both into the net. The first came on 34 minutes, after David Mirfin had been clearly tripped in the area, to open the scoring. The second penalty put the icing on the cake and opened up a 4-0 lead on 80 minutes after Angol himself cleverly drew a foul from Nathan Clarke. Angol’s penalties capped a powerful display in which he was a real handful for the Grimsby defence. In between the two penalties, there were two further goals, both heavily involving Krystian Pearce, who was my man of the match. On 54 minutes, a really fine corner from the right by Joel Byrom was met on the volley by Pearce who clipped the ball into the roof of the net from 4 yards. Straight off the training ground, and well worked. Then 10 minutes later, a fine free kick from near the corner flag on the left from Alex MacDonald was met by Bennett who headed down into the ground and back up again and drew a magnificent save from Grimbsy keeper James McKeown, pushing the ball away to the right. Pearce was first to the loose ball, turning it back into the middle, where Karleigh Osbourne deflected it into his own net. Our pitchside video footage confirms what I already thought, that Pearce’s low cross was not on target before Osbourne turned it in, so it goes down as an own goal. Grimsby got a consolation on 85 minutes with a penalty of their own as sub Jaiyesimi got goalside of Bennett who clumsily brought him down for a clear penalty, which was converted by another sub Sam Jones. A thoroughly deserved win for Mansfield against a Grimsby side who looked average. The Stags played a lot better than this against Luton two weeks ago and didn’t get their rewards, but did here showing the importance of converting spot kicks. Plenty of good performances throughout the side. Krystian Pearce was my man of the match with a totally commanding performance in defence, plus scoring one and drawing an own goal. David Mirfin alongside him also had a very good game indeed, and won the first penalty. Rhys Bennett played very well at right back, and his fine header led to the own goal, though blotted his copybook giving away a late penalty. Johnny Hunt had come in for Mal Benning at left back and gave a very steady performance. Up front, Lee Angol was a real handful, and there are definite signs that he is forging a partnership that is just starting to click with Kane Hemmings. In midfield, Joel Byrom played well and put in some fine set pieces, as did Alex MacDonald on his first start of the season. Jacob Mellis worked hard and provided some creativity. Calum Butcher started slowly but came into the game well at the end of the first half and in the second half. In goal, Conrad Logan had a difficult moment in the first dealing with a high ball towards the roof of his net, but kept it out if rather inelegantly, and then late on made a fabulous save from former Stag Mitch Rose. There were also signs that there was a better understanding between Logan and his defence. A very satisfactory afternoon. The Stags will look to build on this against Wycombe on Tuesday night.

Three changes from the Mansfield side that drew at Carlisle. No surprise as Johnny Hunt came in for Mal Benning at left back. Benning had been named by Evans as being at fault for goals in each of the last two games following a man of the match performance at Accrington. Also no surprise as Calum Butcher came in for his first start. But rather than in central midfield, as he played as substitute at Carlisle, he came into right midfield, which allowed him to start as well as Jacob Mellis who was in central midfield. Alex MacDonald was also in for his first start, on the left side of midfield. Out went Will Atkinson, who had not been pulling up trees in recent games, and more surprisingly Paul Anderson.



Mansfield Town return to winning ways with comprehensive win over Grimsby Town
chad.co.uk, by STEPHEN THIRKILL, Saturday 09 September 2017

Mansfield Town returned to winning ways with a comprehensive 4-1 hammering of Grimsby Town. A brace from skipper Krystian Pearce and two Lee Angol penalties helped Stags wrap up their first win in four attempts. It was nothing more than the home side had deserved during a match which they bossed throughout. Mansfield held a 1-0 lead going into the break before they turned on the second style to seal the points thanks to two goals inside seven minutes from Pearce and Angol’s late spot-kick. The Mariners did spoil the day a touch after pulling a consolation goal back when Sam Jones scored yet another penalty with five minutes to go The win now sets Stags up perfectly for Tuesday’s big match with fellow promotion-rivals Wycombe as they look to finally kick-start their season. Mansfield made three changes from the team who drew 1-1 at Carlisle United last Saturday. Hunt, Butcher and MacDonald came in, while Benning, Atkinson and Anderson were dropped. Stags started fast with Lee Angol forcing a good save out of James McKeown inside a minute. JJ Hooper then fired a shot wide of the target as the Mariners showed their intent early. Kane Hemmings forced McKeown into a fine save on 18 minutes after a good one-two with Alex MacDonald. Paul Dixon fired a long range effort over for the visitors, before Zak Mills sliced a shot wide from 15 yards. Mansfield hit the front on 34 minutes after David Mirfin was fouled in the box by Mills. And his time Angol made no mistake from the spot as he banished the memories of two Mansfield penalty misses in the last two games. Conrad Logan got down well to save a low shot from Martyn Woolford following a scramble in the box on the stroke of half-time. Scott Vernon wasted too much time in the box and tried to take the ball on his chest instead of heading at the Mansfield goal just after the restart. Siriki Dembele then dragged an effort badly wide from 15 yards as Russell Slade’s men came out fighting. Hemmings failed to take a great pass from Johnny Hunt into his stride on 52 minutes allowing McKeown to come out and smother the ball. But the Mansfield lead was doubled just two minutes later when skipper Krystian Pearce smashed home Joel Byrom’s corner. MacDonald fired a shot just past the post on the hour mark after a good flowing move by the home side And it was game over four minutes later when Pearce got his second of the game when he prodded a rebound after McKeown had pulled off a superb save to deny Rhys Bennett. It got even better for Stags on 79 minutes when Angol was hacked down in the box for Mansfield’s second penalty of the match. And he picked himself to smash the ball into the roof of the net from 12 yards. Grimsby pulled a consolation goal back when Sam Jones scored the third penalty of the game with five minutes to go. It had been awarded after Bennett brought down Diallang Jaiyesim.

Mansfield: Logan, Bennett, Pearce, Mirfin, Hunt, Butcher (Atkinson 82), Mellis (Potter 88), Byrom, MacDonald (Anderson 71), Angol, Hemmings. Subs: Diamond, Olejnik, Spencer, Rose.

Grimsby Town: McKeown, Mills (Davies 60), Clarke, Osborne, Dixon, Dembele (Jaiyesimi 74), Rose, Berrett, Woolford, Vernon, Hooper (Jones 59). Subs: Collins, Summerfield, Matt, Killip.

Ref: Paul Tierney.

Stags MOM: Lee Angol

Read more at: http://www.chad.co.uk/sport/football/mansfield-town/mansfield-town-return-to-winning-ways-with-comprehensive-win-over-grimsby-town-1-8745364


Match Report: Mansfield Town 4-1 Grimsby Town
Town fall to fourth league defeat of the season

Grimsby Town slipped to their fourth league defeat of the season so far as they were heavily beaten by Mansfield Town.

The hosts went ahead from the penalty spot 11 minutes before half-time when Lee Angol converted after a foul by Zak Mills on centre-back David Mirfin.

After a brief Grimsby rally at the start of the second half, Mansfield doubled their lead through captain Krystian Pearce, who then made the points safe for when he grabbed his second goal, and his team's third.


And there was time for a fourth when Angol scored again from the home side's second penalty of the afternoon to cap a miserable afternoon for the Mariners and their 1,252 travelling supporters, who only had Sam Jones' late consolation goal, also from the penalty spot, to cheer.

Town boss Russell Slade was able to name an unchanged team for the first time this season with his squad now clear of suspensions.

The manager kept faith with the XI which began last Saturday's home win against Crewe, meaning the returning Jones and Danny Collins both had to be content with a place on the bench.

James McKeown began in goal, with Mills, Nathan Clarke, Karleigh Osborne and Paul Dixon in defence.

Siriki Dembele, James Berrett, Mitch Rose and Martyn Woolford were the midfielders, with Scott Vernon and JJ Hooper again the preferred strike partnership.

Jones and Collins were joined on the bench by Ben Killip, Ben Davies, Luke Summerfeld, Diallang Jaiyesimi and Jamille Matt.

Mansfield were looking for their second win of the season, having won one, drawn three and lost one of their opening five league games.

They would look to the likes of strikers Angol and Kane Hemmings to cause problems for the Town defence.

The home side had the first chance of the game within the opening 20 seconds, with Angol getting the space inside the penalty area to fire a shot which was pushed away for a corner by McKeown.

Town responded with a move starting with a throw-in from Clarke. He got the ball back from Dembele and sent over a low cross which Hooper could only divert out for a goal kick.

Woolford was caught offside after good hold-up play by Hooper, before Mills had to get to the ball first at the other end to deny Jacob Mellis.

Dembele was adjudged to have fouled Alex MacDonald on the Mansfield left on 15 minutes but the resulting free kick was cleared.

McKeown was called into action soon afterwards, coming off his line to make a block from Hemmings after the striker had been found by MacDonald.

Angol won a free kick on the left on 20 minutes but when it was sent in towards the far post, right-back Rhys Bennett could only head the ball out for a goal kicck.

The first yellow card came a minute later, with Calum Butcher the name to go into referee Paul Tierney's notebook for a foul on Berrett.

A hopeful, looping ball into the box from Berrett ended up leading to a Town corner after home keeper Conrad Logan appeared to misjudge it. From the flag-kick, the ball broke for Dixon but his shot from 25 yards flew over the bar.

Dembele had a run from halfway on 26 minutes, which ended with a shot from the edge of the box being blocked, before a spell of Grimby possession around the Mansfield box ended with Mills firing wide of the near post.

Johnny Hunt saw a shot blocked by Dembele, before a foul by Berrett gave the hosts a free kick right of centre, which was headed away by Clarke.

Soon afterwards though, Mansfield were given the opportunity to open the scoring when David Mirfin was brought down by Mills inside the box. The referee instantly pointed to the spot and ANGOL made no mistake from 12 yards, confidently firing past McKeown to make it 1-0.

A Woolford cross for Vernon was cleared as Town looked to establish a foothold in the game but Mansfield were now in control, looking dangerous as they attacked at pace against a shaky-looking Mariners backline.

Vernon won a corner when his attempted cross was blocked by Mirfin. Woolford's delivery was not cleared and the ball came back to him, although his low shot was straight at Logan.

At the other end, a cross from the right went all the way through to Mellis at the far post but he could not send it back towards goal, instead volleying the ball into the travelling Town fans.

Two added minutes were signalled to be played at the end of the half and in the second of them, a foul by Woolford on the Mansfield right gave them a late chance to put pressure on McKeown's goal. Osborne headed it away, before Berrett completed the clearance.

That proved to be the last action of a first half where Mansfield had looked by far the more dangerous of the two sides and it was they who took a deserved lead into the dressing rooms at the interval.

No changes were made before the restart and Town had an opportunity to level the scores within a minute when a quickly-taken free kick for a foul on Dembele led to an opening for Berrett, allthough his shot went over the bar.

The bright start from the visitors continued with a cross from the right but the ball was ruled to have gone out of play before it got to keeper Logan.

A cross from Mills on 51 minutes was brought down well by Vernon, who then won a corner, although Berrett's delivery failed to pick anybody out and the ball ran away for a Mansfield throw-in.

Hemmings beat the Town offside trap to go clear two minutes later but McKeown read the danger well and raced off his line to block the striker.

Soon afterwards, Dembele created a chance for himself on the edge of the Mansfield box but could only drag his low shot harmlessly wide of the near post.

But Town's good work at the start of the half was undone on 54 minutes, when the home side doubled their lead. A corner came in from Hemmings on the right and PEARCE was left on his own to cushion a volley past McKeeown and into the net.

The hosts went looking for a third goal straight away, with Mellis almost finding Angol on the edge of the Town box after a quick break. Luckily for the Mariners, the striker could not control the pass.

Town's first substitution saw Jones replace Hooper two minutees before the hour, then another sharp Mansfield attacking move ended with MacDonald shooting wide of the far post from the right side of the penalty area.

Another Grimsby change saw Davies come on for Mills, before a Mansfield free kick on the left led to their thrd goal. The initial ball in to the far post saw McKeown make a good save from Bennett's header but PEARCE was on hand to snap up the rebound and score his second of the game, aided by a heavy eflection off Osborne.

Town went on the attack in search of what would now just be a consolation goal but after Vernon beat the offside trap to get onto Woolford's chipped ball into the box, he was forced wide and could only put it out for a goal kick.

Paul Anderson replaced MacDonald for the home side with around 20 minutes left to play, before Angol failed to hit the target with an ffort from 20 yards that flew wide.

Jaiyesimi came on in place of Dembele on 74 minutes, before Mansfield were given their second penalty of the afternoon when Angol went down inside the box five minutes later. Again, ANGOL was the man to take the kick and again, he found the net, although McKeown managed to get a hand to the ball.

Osborne showed bravery to get his head to the ball ahead of Angol soon afterwards before Will Atkinson replaced Butcher for the hosts in the latest substitution.

Town were given a penalty of their own when Jaiesimi went down uner a challenge inside the box and from it, they had their consolation goal as JONES rolled the ball under the dive of Logan and into the net.

The Mariners went looking for another goal an they had two penalty appeals for handball waved away in quick succession before a 25-yard drive from Rose drew a great save from Logan.

Four minutes of added time were played and Town kept searching for a secon goal but it was not to come, with Rose firing well over the bar after good work by Jaiyesimi.

Osborne picked up a yellow card for a foul in what turned out to be the last action of the game on a disappointing afternoon for Town and teir fans.

The Mariners are next in action on Tuesday, when they travel to Accrington Stanley.


1.James McKeown
12 Zak Mills 61
3 Paul Dixon
5 Nathan Clarke (C)
14 Karleigh Osborne 64
8 Mitch Rose MF
27 Siriki Dembele 74
7 James Berrett
25 Martyn Woolford
9 JJ Hooper 59
21 Scott Vernon


30.Ben Killip
6. Danny Collins
2. Ben Davies 61
20. Diallang Jaiyesimi 74
10. Sam Jones 59
19. Luke Summerfield
29. Jamille Matt

Mansfield Town.

1. Conrad Logan
2. Rhys Bennett
19. Johnny Hunt
5. Krystian Pearce (C)
18. David Mirfin
8. Jacob Mellis
7. Alexander MacDonald
26. Joel Byrom
24. Callum Butcher
23. Kane Hemmings
9. Lee Angol


12. Bobby Olejnik
6. Zander Diamond
10. Paul Anderson
11. Will Atkinson
17. Alfie Potter
32. Danny Rose
15. Jimmy Spencer

Referee: Paul Tierney

Attendance: Attendance: 4,625 ( 1,252)


Mansfield Town 4-1 Grimsby Town
REPORT - Stags ease to win over poor Mariners
Steve Evans' side pick up just their second win of the season as Town slump to dismal defeat

grimsbytelegraph.co.uk, BY JAMES FINDLATER, 9 SEP 2017

A lacklustre performance from Grimsby Town saw them soundly beaten 4-1 at Mansfield Town.

Two penalties from Lee Angol, a strike from Krystian Pearce and a Karleigh Osborne own goal wrapped up a comfortable victory for the Stags at Field Mill, while Sam Jones grabbed a consolation late on from the spot.

After last weekend’s much-needed win over Crewe, Russell Slade resisted the urge to make any changes to his starting line-up as named the same 11 that started at Blundell Park.


Meanwhile, Sam Jones and Danny Collins returned from their respective suspensions to take their places on the bench.

James McKeown was called into action early on as Lee Angol managed to work his way into the box before firing, with the Town keeper reacting well to push the effort away for a corner.

Chances were few and far between for the next 20 minutes, but Town’s first effort on target came from an unlikely source.

Karleigh Osborne aimed to clear a possible break from the halfway line, with Conrad Logan being forced to tip the ball away for a corner as it looked to be dipping into his goal.

The Mariners found themselves behind though with just over ten minutes left in the first half when Zak Mills brought David Mirfin down in the box, and the referee showed hesitation in pointing to the spot.

Angol stepped up and, despite McKeown going the right way, the shot had too much power on it as the Stags took the lead.

Despite not threatening for much of the half, Town managed to cause a bit of havoc in the Mansfield box as they failed to deal with Martyn Woolford’s corner before the winger fired a shot straight at Logan.

The Mariners began brightly in the second half as Siriki Dembele won a free-kick on the left before taking it quickly to James Berrett, who fired over.

Dembele was starting to get a bit more joy after swapping flanks with Woolford, and he almost carved out a chance as he weaved his way past the full-back before shooting wide.

It wasn’t long though before Mansfield were 2-0 up though, as the ball fell to Krystian Pearce just a couple of yards from goal from a corner, leaving the defender with the simplest of finishes.

And the Stags threatened to extend their lead as Alex MacDonald nipped in from the right before dragging his shot wide.

But they didn’t have to wait too long to make it 3-0 as McKeown made a superb save to deny Rhys Bennett, before the Pearce's ball back into the box was turned into his own net by Karleigh Osborne.

And they deservedly made it 4-0 ten minutes from time as Town conceded another penalty, and Angol stepped up again to grab his second of the afternoon despite McKeown getting a hand to it.

Town managed to grab a consolation when Sam Jones was brought down in the penalty area, and he picked himself up to tuck away the spot kick - but it was too little, too late.



Latest | September 2017